I'm Still Not Sold On Zach Wilson

5 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

He's is Brooks Bollinger 2.0. If you'll recall Brooksy could move the ball from the 20 to the 20 but always had a hard time putting it in the end zone. That misfire to a wide open who was it, Kenny Yeboah? is so typical of Wilson's shortcomings. Then I watched Tim Boyle dropping back, standing tall in the pocket and firing the ball DOWNFIELD. Then, putting the ball in the end zone. Once again, the Woody Johnson Jets are factoring into roster decision making, the position of WHERE a player was drafted by the team. They have been doing it since the turn of the century and it never works out, they let the better players go because the team drafted them. And yes, I think they're about to do the same thing with Wilson.

image.thumb.png.6abf723b9cb4d0933ca188b4d1be7f2b.png

• Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I not fully sold yet either ... but he is improving and that is a fact.  He also had some beautiful throws dropped.  Would not surprise me if he was traded or extended this offseason. Hope we don't see him this season ... but have a feeling we will at some point. Hoping he shows out if the Jets need him.

Trade him to Dallas.  They will take anything 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, KRL said:

You people better wake up, the Jets QB path is as follows:

- Rodgers for 2-3 years

- Wilson growing behind the scenes being evaluated/groomed by
Rodgers, Hackett, Downing

- Douglas will decline his fifth year option but will extend
him a "baby extension" (2 years, $30 million, $20 guaranteed)

- Wilson will then take the baton from Rodgers

You can "hate" him all you want but he showed definite improvement
and growth during camp/pre-season.  To discount the unfortunate loss
of Greg Knapp and what he could've provided during Wilson's first
two years is foolish.  LaFleur wanted to design and call plays but
he was ill-equipped to engage/teach Wilson.  He's getting that teaching
now and the entire organization is committed to the process.  Deal
with it

I think that’s the plan now but we’ve seen Douglas pivot away from players pdq if he sees a better option.  Right Zach is the back up and it will work. People seem to forget Zach was qb for five of the seven wins and there’s nothing that says he can’t win a few games if Rodgers misses a couple, especially if the rest of the team is intact.  I think this discussion about where Zach stands with the jets will be better answered at seasons end.

• Upvote 1

The jets are trying to salvage an investment, period. Progress...baby steps, really... is that what all of you are hanging your hat on?

I mean the 3rd string Giants QB (Devito) played better and was more cognizant of what the D was doing then he was. What I saw last evening was ZW being ZW... inconsistent and the O =in most instances - stagnant. That is what we have seen for two years and that is what we have seen this PS.

Irrespective of how I feel about him - I just do not believe he is good enough to be the #2 now maybe someday but not now. It is what it is and we all better hope that AR stays healthy....

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

50 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I think that’s the plan now but we’ve seen Douglas pivot away from players pdq if he sees a better option.  Right Zach is the back up and it will work. People seem to forget Zach was qb for five of the seven wins and there’s nothing that says he can’t win a few games if Rodgers misses a couple, especially if the rest of the team is intact.  I think this discussion about where Zach stands with the jets will be better answered at seasons end.

yes and those wins were in spite of his short comings.  Ball control and running. and greta D, that is what won games.... NOT ZW play. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, AZSOJ said:

yes and those wins were in spite of his short comings.  Ball control and running. and greta D, that is what won games.... NOT ZW play. 

How many wins did that formula produce without him? Granted there was injuries. But this wasn’t the 2000 ravens we had last year 

edit. Not saying ZW won those games. He definitely was a passenger on the bus 

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I don't think anyone is sold on ZW.

Agreed. Nobody is. There are some of us who are still hopefuls, but at this point I think we all acknowledge that he currently sucks and will have to work really hard if there's any chance for success in his career.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

He's is Brooks Bollinger 2.0. If you'll recall Brooksy could move the ball from the 20 to the 20 but always had a hard time putting it in the end zone. That misfire to a wide open who was it, Kenny Yeboah? is so typical of Wilson's shortcomings. Then I watched Tim Boyle dropping back, standing tall in the pocket and firing the ball DOWNFIELD. Then, putting the ball in the end zone. Once again, the Woody Johnson Jets are factoring into roster decision making, the position of WHERE a player was drafted by the team. They have been doing it since the turn of the century and it never works out, they let the better players go because the team drafted them. And yes, I think they're about to do the same thing with Wilson.

Angry Benedict Cumberbatch GIF

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KRL said:

You people better wake up, the Jets QB path is as follows:

- Rodgers for 2-3 years

- Wilson growing behind the scenes being evaluated/groomed by
Rodgers, Hackett, Downing

- Douglas will decline his fifth year option but will extend
him a "baby extension" (2 years, $30 million, $20 guaranteed)

- Wilson will then take the baton from Rodgers

You can "hate" him all you want but he showed definite improvement
and growth during camp/pre-season.  To discount the unfortunate loss
of Greg Knapp and what he could've provided during Wilson's first
two years is foolish.  LaFleur wanted to design and call plays but
he was ill-equipped to engage/teach Wilson.  He's getting that teaching
now and the entire organization is committed to the process.  Deal
with it

You probably thought the same thing about Sam Darnold and Mark Sanchez. Wilson sucks. Deal with it. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Some of you guys respond like this post isn't worthy enough to even be discussed. We have had 4 games of the "New Improved" Zach ,who is being tutored by one of the all-time greats and he's still throwing sidearm passes at the waist level of D-linemen, still throwing way too many passes behind the receivers, and I still see the same guy who can't put together a 12 play 80 yard scoring drive. Yet we watch the Italian kid from Cedar Grove do it for the Giants, then we watch Tim Boyle put together two scoring drives in a row 2 TD pass completing 9-11. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is insane that this is the #1 topic on this board.  What a loser fanbase this is.  Embarrassing.

Could you imagine any other fanbase on the cusp of something this great just ripping the backup qb?

This fanbase is diseased and there is no cure.  Pathetic!

Ass backwards.  This team is so great and on the cusp of something great that the backup QB is actually important.   

We fat shamed Becton into coming into camp in great shape and he's now won the starting RT job.   we're going to keep telling the world how much of a bust Zach is until he mans up and starts showing the kind of mental toughness that an NFL QB needs to succeed.   

You fans who keep mollycoddling him are his biggest problem.  Your not doing this mental puss any favors by trying to shame the real fans on this board who are trying to help him actually get better. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This is insane that this is the #1 topic on this board.  What a loser fanbase this is.  Embarrassing.

Could you imagine any other fanbase on the cusp of something this great just ripping the backup qb?

This fanbase is diseased and there is no cure.  Pathetic!

We hinge on the play of a 40 year old QB because we haven't drafted a QB that can play in more than 40 years.  Being excited for AR is one thing, and we all are, recognizing that we are amongst the worst team at drafting the most important position in all sports in 40 years is another. Real fans/thinkers think out 2-4 years.  Zach is showing he may not be the guy. It's not the thread of a loser fan base.  Your kool aid approach can be tiresome.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Is this not his 3rd year however????

No I meant 1st after being demoted and going into learning mode. 

Anyways, this thread is dumb. Of course nobody is sold on him. Nobody will be sold unless he gives of 2+ seasons of quality starting qb play which is extremely unlikely to happen here. The thread is like saying "I'm not sold the moon will crash into the earth tomorrow"

8 hours ago, rbstern said:

Wilson is a work in progress.  Very clear that AR is having a positive effect on on him.  He's got a lot of physical talent, and the question remains:  Can the game slow down enough in his head for him to consistently makes good plays?

He's doing a better job on the easy, short throws.  That was the glaring weakness last year.  I'd also say his pocket awareness is improving.   He's getting the ball out faster.

He's thrown two excellent deep balls this preseason:  Malik caught it, Mecole didn't (but should have).

He missed a seam throw last night to Jenkins.  He makes that throw, and everyone is praising him this morning.  It was one bad play.  And in fairness, there was a safety coming from the other side, so Zach kept the ball out of harms way.  Maybe a starting TE makes a better adjustment on that ball and catches it.

Tim Boyle had a good game last night, but we saw him have a bad one earlier in the preseason.  Every NFL QB can put together a "wow" drive.  Doing it consistently is the difference between talent and being able to win games.

We should know by next year's training camp if Zach has improved enough to work as a long term solution.

Last year was one of the worst years that I recall as far as Jets QB are concerned. During the Joe Walton years, I recall actually chanting Kyle Mackey's name because the QBs sucked. We also remember the major locker room slight when Wilson did not feel that he let the defense down. I was critical and i justifiably tore into the kid. 

This is a new season and you know what? I root for the kid as always. The odds are stocked against him as with the vast majority of qbs. I see a kid who was poorly coached and was a spoiled brat. He is trying to fix himself. That requires being torn down and rebuilt. Maybe he will  succeed or most likely he won't but either way, the vitriol has been blistering. People would rather see fail than be proven wrong. In some cases, i am convinced that the pray that he has a bad game. Wtf!  This is truly disgusting to see. I have seldom witnessed such hatred.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

We hinge on the play of a 40 year old QB because we haven't drafted a QB that can play in more than 40 years.  Being excited for AR is one thing, and we all are, recognizing that we are amongst the worst team at drafting the most important position in all sports in 40 years is another. Real fans/thinkers think out 2-4 years.  Zach is showing he may not be the guy. It's not the thread of a loser fan base.  Your kool aid approach can be tiresome.

It’s not a kool aid approach(even tho he usually is). 
We’re all aware we have not been able to draft a QB. That’s why we have Rodgers. That’s why we’re excited. They recocognized it and did something about it. 
But you wanna think about 4 years from now? Lol. Alright. 

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Matt Robinson? 

Pat Ryan?

Point is the fanbase is rarely "all sold on" a backup QB.

Why does that become some kind of requirement now?  

Clearly JD is keeping him, it is what it is, time to move on till 1. Fall of 2024 or 2. If he is forced to play this season.

We've all more than had our say about Zach.  It's all so much hot air at this point.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AZSOJ said:

I think if you go back and look at those games you will see Zach making some pretty good drive extending throws.  Those games weren’t won solely because of the jet rushing game. Oh I get the whole point about Zach only completing 55% of his passes or missing what should be easy throws to backs in the flat.  But what’s lost is a pretty low number of ints and fumbles.  They count too.

Note too that I indicated there wasn’t much worry in playing Zach with an otherwise intact team.  This means a stout defense and good run game.

• Upvote 1