The Week 1: The Powder keg, and the Media Hype (Hate) Machine

Warfish

Yeah, agree with everything you said. I'd really extend it beyond Week 1 -- I see that whole first six game slate before the BYE as being over hyped and over wrought relative to their actual importance.

November and December is when you really need to hit your stride. Emerging from the early schedule afloat and without many injuries is the top priority, as great as it might be to be 6-0.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I can see being (overly) stoked with a win in week 1. We need to step on the throat of this division, and the Bills are the main attraction here lately.

If we win, I swear I won't use the word superbowl, but I will be quite giddy indeed.

• Upvote 2

The end of the season schedule for the Bills is a brutal one.

With the only gimme games being the Pats and the Broncos. If they lose to the Jets to open the season, they might be on the outside looking in for the playoffs.

WEEK 9 · Sun 11/05 · 8:20 PM EST AT Cincinnati Bengals

WEEK 10 · Mon 11/13 · 8:15 PM EST Denver Broncos

WEEK 11 · Sun 11/19 · 4:25 PM EST New York Jets

WEEK 12 · Sun 11/26 · 4:25 PM EST AT Philadelphia Eagles

WEEK 14 · Sun 12/10 · 4:25 PM EST AT Kansas City Chiefs

WEEK 15 · Sun 12/17 · 4:25 PM EST Dallas Cowboys

WEEK 16 · Sat 12/23 · 8:00 PM EST AT Los Angeles Chargers

WEEK 17 · Sun 12/31 · 1:00 PM EST New England Patriots

WEEK 18 · TBD AT Miami Dolphins

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So, business as usual. 

Yes, business as usual except that rightly or wrongly our expectations have been elevated this year to an enormous degree.

The real problem may be that this team is significantly improved from last year but yet not quite a championship caliber team.  Thus making everyone unhappy.

• Upvote 3

One of 17 games and 1 of 6 in division.  Yea it doesn't matter.  If it keeps us out of the playoffs doesn't matter.  If it keeps us from a home playoff game doesn't matter.  

One of the reasons the NFL is such a hyped up league is every game actually does matter.  Confrence games matter more, division games are absolutley crucial.

No the wheels won't be falling off if we lose.  It matters a great deal if you think this is a potential SB team.  

• Upvote 2

Seeing thumb head go deep on Sauce twice with Hyatt and then punt block defense on the first play of the game, everyone is already sick of hearing about the Jets and they have a giant bullseye on their backs. 

I ain’t worried.  There will be setbacks and adversity, but this team is different. They have a great culture and great leadership.  They’ll be fine. More than fine actually 

• Upvote 1

Either one or two of the first two points and it’s really who cares what either think.  Why should anyone care if this board goes into its usual suicide watch after one game?  Or if the media talks about game one as a must win?  
None of this will make or break the season after one game and the idea that the season will be affected or determined by the first of 17 games is ludicrous 

19 minutes ago, Biggs said:

One of 17 games and 1 of 6 in division.  Yea it doesn't matter.  If it keeps us out of the playoffs doesn't matter.  If it keeps us from a home playoff game doesn't matter.  

One of the reasons the NFL is such a hyped up league is every game actually does matter.  Confrence games matter more, division games are absolutley crucial.

No the wheels won't be falling off if we lose.  It matters a great deal if you think this is a potential SB team.  

No one is saying the game doesn’t matter (it’s a huge game), only that it’s not ALL that matters 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I would never use the phrase "doesn't matter".  If that's your takeaway from the OP, I think you may misunderstood my point.

I would say week 1 will not determine if we're a Super Bowl team or a complete Disaster, and certainly not in a a definitive way that many fans will express themselves post-game.

16 more chances after this one.  And there haven't been too many undefeated Super Bowl winners, have there?  We're gonna lose games, even if we're great.

Week 1 won't be what keeps us out of anything.  How we play as a whole season is what gets us in or out.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I would never use the phrase "doesn't matter".  If that's your takeaway from the OP, I think you may misunderstood my point.

I would say week 1 will not determine if we're a Super Bowl team or a complete Disaster, and certainly not in a a definitive way that many fans will express themselves post-game.

16 more chances after this one.  And there haven't been too many undefeated Super Bowl winners, have there?  We're gonna lose games, even if we're great.

Week 1 won't be what keeps us out of anything.  How we play as a whole season is what gets us in or out.  

Healthy roster.  Aaron Rodgers at QB.  At home.  A division game.   This is a game a top coaching staff figures out how to win at home.  You lose this game and it shows that the other team was able to come into your house and win a big game.

Not saying you can't over come it but home division games are games that real SB contenders make statements.  Fakes make excusses.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

afraid of getting hurt, i get it. i myself am constantly waiting for the Aaron Rodgers torn ACL tweet....the key is self awareness and being able to accept that we CAN have nice things. we have like 3 ALL Pro's on this team and a HOF QB, its ok to think we are good at football.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets matched up well with them without Aaron Rodgers, they should match up better now.

last year's game in November the Jets' D-line combines for 5 sacks, including Huff in the 4th quarter, injures Josh Allen's throwing elbow. Allen throws 2 picks the Jets win 20-17

the game in December, Allen is somewhat more healthy, the D-line doesn't get home as much and the Bills win 20-12

it's awesome they have Rodgers and all but similar to last year it will come down to pass rush getting home. If Allen can be contained they have a chance. But there's a reason why they are home dogs 

fact is the Bills are a very good team, with a possible MVP at QB in his prime - they've been to the last 4 playoffs 

that's what a real contender looks like. Best we can hope for is pass rush takes Allen out of it - cause if he's on and running hard he will put up Madden numbers 

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We lose to the Bills at home after we balled with them last year,  there's going to be a lot of warranted doubt.  Sure we could recover but the doubt will be warranted until we prove it isn't.  

• Upvote 1

SiriusXM NFL radio HATES the Jets. Full-on hate. Weis is a Belichick/Parcells guy, so that makes sense there. Miller, though? Not sure what the Jets did to him in a past life, but damn. Even Kirwin...he must have had a bad parting of ways. I don't know of any of the guys who are regularly on it who do not loathe the Jets.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

last year's game in November the Jets' D-line combines for 5 sacks, including Huff in the 4th quarter, injures Josh Allen's throwing elbow. Allen throws 2 picks the Jets win 20-17

the game in December, Allen is somewhat more healthy, the D-line doesn't get home as much and the Bills win 20-12

it's awesome they have Rodgers and all but similar to last year it will come down to pass rush getting home. If Allen can be contained they have a chance. But there's a reason why they are home dogs 

fact is the Bills are a very good team, with a possible MVP at QB in his prime - they've been to the last 4 playoffs 

that's what a real contender looks like. Best we can hope for is pass rush takes Allen out of it - cause if he's on and running hard he will put up Madden numbers 

Yeah, you’re right, having an offense that should be capable of scoring more points shouldn’t really have an effect on this game or really the whole season. Today’s NFL is all about defense. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Either one or two and it’s who cares.

I care, obviously.  Clearly so do a few others partaking in the thread.

Why should anyone care if this board goes into its usual suicide watch after one game?  Or if the media talks about game one as a must win?

Some of us might want to help folks not be suicidal (proverbially, in this case) or the reverse (aggressively overhyping) after 1 game.  In pure self-interest, it makes the quality of board pretty sh*t having to wade through 500 "We're DOOMED" threads, lol.

As for the media, we talk about what the media says here all the time.  This is no different.  

None of this will make or break the season after one game and the idea that the season will be affected or determined by the first of 17 games is ludicrous 

Exactly my point.  Thank you for agreeing with me.

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, you’re right, having an offense that should be capable of scoring more points shouldn’t really have an effect on this game or really the whole season. Today’s NFL is all about defense. 

read between the lines

their offense is better than ours, their line is better than ours, and so is their QB 

if the Jets pass rush can bring down Allen to Rodgers' level the Jets have a chance 

the equation hasn't changed that much from last year - it's nice that Rodgers is here and all but the Jets aren't putting up 35 PPG all of a sudden

The bills actually could 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I care, obviously.  Clearly so do a few others partaking in the thread.

Anyone who cares how the board reacts or how the media reacts doesn’t understand the game.  Neither has any affect on the rest of the season.  

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Some of us might want to help folks not be suicidal (proverbially, in this case) or the reverse (aggressively overhyping) after 1 game.  In pure self-interest, it makes the quality of board pretty sh*t having to wade through 500 "We're DOOMED" threads, lol.

As for the media, we talk about what the media says here all the time.  This is no different

Same as above.  I’ll be bummed for awhile if they lose game 1 but I don’t believe a game 1 loss ruins the season.  

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Exactly my point.  Thank you for agreeing with me

I agree with everything you said after your first 2 points about this board and the media.  That’s who I was pointing to being “who cares”

The 2020 Brady Bucs lost their first game by double digits to the Saints. It was an ugly, clunky performance. They were 7-5 entering December, kinda middling, but hit their stride and won eight straight games to win the Super Bowl. 

The 2012 Manning Broncos were 2-3 to start the season, and then went on to win eleven straight games en route to the number one seed. 

I’m not going to lose my sh*t if we start 3-3, or, gulp, 2-4. This early schedule is insane and it often takes time for veteran QBs on a new team to find their rhythm.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, bitonti said:

read between the lines

their offense is better than ours, their line is better than ours, and so is their QB 

if the Jets pass rush can bring down Allen to Rodgers' level the Jets have a chance 

the equation hasn't changed that much from last year - it's nice that Rodgers is here and all but the Jets aren't putting up 35 PPG all of a sudden

The bills actually could 

They couldn’t do it against Zach.  
You have no idea that the Bills offense will be better at this point.  Or that their OL will be better, they aren’t a great OL and have to deal with the Jets DL and secondary.  They’ll have to deal with best D they’ll see all year.
They’re still defending champs of the division and should be respected but they’re not unbeatable 

• Upvote 2