Cimini: Locker room is grumbling about Wilson, team is close to imploding

T0mShane

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Spicy Cimini podcast report from an off-day locker room. Opens up with Namath’s comments, but goes into (unnamed) Jets player discontent about Saleh fluffing Zach Wilson and continuing to start him. Says he knows “for a fact” that players are ready to pop off. Defensive players annoyed about having to answer for one coverage bust when they gave up a mere 13 points. Cimini puts it all in Douglas’ lap for keeping Wilson at QB2 with no safety net. 

Juiciest bits:

1. Cimini says Wilson is “done” in New York, but will play until Siemian or Boyle is ready to start. 

2. Says Saleh’s job security will be challenged if/when the locker room grumbling bubbles over and becomes public. Seems to indicate that time is closer than some think.

—However—Says it’s the bed Jets made, Cousins trade is a remote possibility and probably wouldn’t happen until the Jets season is already destroyed. Predicts the rest of the way will be a mix of Wilson, Boyle, and Siemian starts. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flight-deck-with-rich-cimini/id1466085257?i=1000629251264

Remember when you brushed off injury concerns about Rodgers during the offseason and said it wouldn't happen.

Pepperidge farm remembers.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

You don't think Belichick would pick up Zach if he was waved? What an ultimate F U that would be. I am not saying he could turn him around, but you know he would try. That would be one last project for Billy Boy.

No

And besides let him have him, this is not the Brady patriots anymore. So the mythical: “player gets cutt to become another pats great” narrative is dead 

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

You don't think Belichick would pick up Zach if he was waved? What an ultimate F U that would be. I am not saying he could turn him around, but you know he would try. That would be one last project for Billy Boy.

Let him try. Not worried in the slightest.

Jets fans seem to worry Beli will turn anyone we cut into a stud. It’s a literal meme.  Never actually happens.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

They’ve lost 9 out of the last 10 games with this defense going back to last year. They’re not getting 8 wins no way. 5 is probably the ceiling.

Once we have a QB able to make some basic throws, our running game will improve once our opponents can't stack the box.  

Some first downs on each drive will mean more rest for our defense, the entire team will play better (remember when Mike White was playing well) and the Jets will look and feel very different.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Rodgers didn’t disintegrate into a pile of ancient salts three weeks ago. He was tackled awkwardly. Bryce Young and Anthony Richardson are also injured and they are 23 years old. Derek Carr is also injured. Joe Burrow is hurt. Don’t blame me because I shoot for greatness. The guy with whom I was arguing about Rodgers’ injury “concerns” wanted to sign Jacoby Brissett instead. Would I participate in foul back-alley hair-pulling sex with Ron Rivera in exchange for the rights to Jacoby Brissett right now? Yes. But would I take a healthy Brissett over a healthy Rodgers? No. Because I am all about championships

not three weeks ago - no - 1 year and three weeks ago - he is the davlin cook of quarterbacks and you will see it when the next season starts - mark my words

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

QB play this bad and the HC going out of his way to defend said bad QB play tends to do that.  

It’s on JD first, but ultimately It’s poor leadership for Saleh to show this bizarre favoritism and lack of accountability that reeks of being inauthentic. Has been from the very start and he’s 100% going to lose the locker room forever at this rate.

Like fundamentally his options are bad. Tim Boyle doesn’t deserved to be rostered if he can’t be expected to beat the slop zach is putting out. But stop making claims about how he’s the unquestioned starter and will be the starter for the year. Like the dude hasn’t learned anything from last year. Just a weird hill to die on. 

• Upvote 4

Rodgers didn’t disintegrate into a pile of ancient salts three weeks ago. He was tackled awkwardly. Bryce Young and Anthony Richardson are also injured and they are 23 years old. Derek Carr is also injured. Joe Burrow is hurt. Don’t blame me because I shoot for greatness. The guy with whom I was arguing about Rodgers’ injury “concerns” wanted to sign Jacoby Brissett instead. Would I participate in foul back-alley hair-pulling sex with Ron Rivera in exchange for the rights to Jacoby Brissett right now? Yes. But would I take a healthy Brissett over a healthy Rodgers? No. Because I am all about championships

Rodgers was injured in TC.  Had the calf injury.  He even looked a little wobbly in the exhibition game even though the TD pass was a thing of beauty.  He looked horrible before he went down.  I'm guessing he was injured in TC and should have been scratched to open the season. 

This is 2 years in a row for Rodgers.  He is not Brady.  He looks like a young Keith Richards who looked like he was 50 when he was 30. 

Green Bay is actually a pretty good organization.  They wanted to get him out for a reason.   Rodgers was a whinny bitch in GB.  Now he's Mr. Positive.  He's in NY to rehabilitate his image for after football.  He's done a sensational job at that.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

It’s on JD first, but ultimately It’s poor leadership for Saleh to show this bizarre favoritism and lack of accountability that reeks of being inauthentic. Has been from the very start and he’s 100% going to lose the locker room forever at this rate.

Like fundamentally his options are bad. Tim Boyle doesn’t deserved to be rostered if he can’t be expected to beat the slop zach is putting out. But stop making claims about how he’s the unquestioned starter and will be the starter for the year. Like the dude hasn’t learned anything from last year. Just a weird hill to die on. 

I don't even understand what's going on.  Saleh only had 1 other option and it was the awful Tim Boyle (who someone pointed out had awful stats in college).  I'm sure the decision to stick with ZW (and praise him in post game interviews) was part of a plan that was concocted by both JD and Saleh.

Ultimately, I think Saleh is going to lose his job over all of this.  JD might even be somewhat on the hot seat after this disaster of a season plays out but I think he'll get another year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't even understand what's going on.  Saleh only had 1 other option and it was the awful Tim Boyle (who someone pointed out had awful stats in college).  I'm sure the decision to stick with ZW (and praise him in post game interviews) was part of a plan that was concocted by both JD and Saleh.

Ultimately, I think Saleh is going to lose his job over all of this.  JD might even be somewhat on the hot seat after this disaster of a season plays out but I think he'll get another year.

I think saleh loses his job b/c someone has to with all this losing, and often, woody likes a confidant to be in cahoots with and I’m guessing thsi time it’s douglas.  Plus, i think saleh can help himself if he doesn’t just play the vets and uses guys like Izzy and ruckert and actually has a say in the offense and implores Hackett to use some creativity.  At this point they have nothing to lose anymore.  Use the young guys and try to show everyone that it’s only the qb.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think saleh loses his job b/c someone has to with all this losing, and often, woody likes a confidant to be in cahoots with and I’m guessing thsi time it’s douglas.  Plus, i think saleh can help himself if he doesn’t just play the vets and uses guys like Izzy and ruckert and actually has a say in the offense and implores Hackett to use some creativity.  At this point they have nothing to lose anymore.  Use the young guys and try to show everyone that it’s only the qb.

It's baffling that they haven't used Ruckert more.  And I completely agree they should use Izzy (especially over the washed Dalvin Cook) though maybe he's hurt?

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

I wish him well with that 

would I take a healthy Brissett over a healthy Rodgers? No. Because I am all about championships

There's no such thing as a healthy Rodgers anymore 

He's in his 19th season he's not aging in reverse. This isn't a benjamin button situation 

Even when his Achilles is repaired he's still going to be old as sh*t 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

So we have 14 games left and it sounds like the following is on the menu:

Infighting

Zach benched

More infighting when the team realizes that Siemian and Boyle are both far worse than Zach.

A complete tire fire when the defense eventually gives up and the Dolphins put up 73 on us. 

GW and Breece both demand trades.

The fans call for JD and Saleh's heads.

Caleb Williams announces he's staying at USC for his senior year

Aaron Rodgers realizes that even he is in over his head with trying to pick up the pieces of this godforsaken franchise and retires.

Adam Gase rehired.

I think saleh and Douglas are safe as long as Rodgers is under contract.  Caleb Williams? Haven’t we learned enough about USC QBs?

11 hours ago, EM31 said:

They are frozen in place to some extent because Aaron Rogers says that he wants to come back next year.  Who knows maybe Rogers decides to get pissed off with "how poorly Zack has been treated".  

I feel like Rodgers will come back and get hurt quickly. 

• WTF? 1

The fact is that Rodgers started every game in 7 out of the last 8 seasons, last missing games in 2017.  Pause everyone, let that sink in before blaming this move on JD

Getting Rodgers was not the issue, nobody could have expected what actually happened.

The problem was not getting a real backup and relying on the guy who was supposed to sit for a year or 2.  Illogical, irrational, stupid, jetsy.  This is JD’s primary responsibility, even if it means pushing back on the morons im the building who wanted this …

We all have had jobs (by my count 15-25% of us still do :)… if we had such a poor contingency plan for what we do then we’d probably be fired.  I know I would.  

Zach never should have been the lead backup.  Many of us stated this over and over again.  Injuries do happen to all different ages and especially to the Jets.

And yet here we are ….

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Spicy Cimini podcast report from an off-day locker room. Opens up with Namath’s comments, but goes into (unnamed) Jets player discontent about Saleh fluffing Zach Wilson and continuing to start him. Says he knows “for a fact” that players are ready to pop off. Defensive players annoyed about having to answer for one coverage bust when they gave up a mere 13 points. Cimini puts it all in Douglas’ lap for keeping Wilson at QB2 with no safety net. 

Juiciest bits:

1. Cimini says Wilson is “done” in New York, but will play until Siemian or Boyle is ready to start. 

2. Says Saleh’s job security will be challenged if/when the locker room grumbling bubbles over and becomes public. Seems to indicate that time is closer than some think.

—However—Says it’s the bed Jets made, Cousins trade is a remote possibility and probably wouldn’t happen until the Jets season is already destroyed. Predicts the rest of the way will be a mix of Wilson, Boyle, and Siemian starts. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flight-deck-with-rich-cimini/id1466085257?i=1000629251264

Happy Oh Yeah GIF

41 minutes ago, TheAustrian said:

not three weeks ago - no - 1 year and three weeks ago - he is the davlin cook of quarterbacks and you will see it when the next season starts - mark my words

Breece Hall tore off a bunch of huge runs against the Bills when the Bills were playing their head-up Aaron Rodgers defense. The Cowboys and Pats—knowing they were playing against Zach Wilson—loaded 7+ defenders into the box over 50% of the time, effectively killing the Jets running game. Let’s see what Cook does when the entire defense isn’t lined up in the Jets backfield.

• Upvote 4

• The plan was always Rodgers All-In for at least two years.  It was a football plan  and a business plan.  Spending additional resources on a better QB2 that only made the ZW pick look worse was never part of the plan.
  • The plan backfired in the worst way possible.
  • I am not saying it was a good plan, but given the Favre/Jets-Vikings and Brady/Bucs track record, and Rodgers 17 games in 2022, it was not a crazy plan.
  • In 2023, we don’t want to win games.  We want to our players to get good practice and our defense to develop and the team not to completely go to poop.  Trevor Siemian is a statistically proven better QB than ZW and can run the offense better.  We want high 1st and 3rd round draft picks.  You are welcome GB.
  • That means Ruckert needs to play, the OL needs to gel and the right players need to play in the right positions.  Becton needs to show he has what it takes to a be a long term piece. 
  • Unfortunately, the picks in 2024 will be OT or WR.   That is both picks.  the defense can figure it out.  Becton will be extended or franchised.   We should be fishing for at least one QB in the later rounds.  
  • JD and Saleh are here for so long as AR8 is here.  The can play out their lame duck years in 2024 with AR8.  The Jets can then decide what to do with the three of them for 2025.   There will be a cap hit for Rodgers in 2025 if he retires-hopefully it does it in a cap friendly way.
  • The Jets completely reboot in 2025 or 2026.  Likely 2025.  The CS is gone and replaced with an offensive minded staff.  Ulbrich can stay.  Whether JD stays or not depends on what type of roster he gives Rodgers in 2025.   In 2025 we sign a Carr veteran QB type.  That is what I would have done in 2023.  
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Only the Jets would trade for Kirk Cousins after their season is already destroyed lol.

If we can get Kirk Cousins, I feel then, we better. Look, I've been a fan of this team too long and so have you guys, we all KNOW that just because a star is supposed to be a starting QB that MOST of the time, with this team it doesn't work out that way. Aaron Rodgers as the sure thing QB next year? I don't trust in a 40 year old UNTIL I see it. Get Cousins if we can, and KEEP him for the season. 

john huston work GIF by Warner Archive

Woody for being Woody.

JD for drafting Zach & failing to get a real NFL backup in 2023, for failing to build a quality OL, for not understanding the sunk cost fallacy.

Saleh for failing to lead, talking accountability but not acting on it, office politics (Brown, Uzomah, Tomlinson, McGovern, Cobb), insulting the locker room and fans by coddling Zach and insisting we’re wrong.

Hackett for being a Hackett.  Despised your dad’s 3rd down draw plays that everyone knew was coming and now despise your run, run pass until it’s too late and failure to get Ruckert and Hardman onto field.

OL coach for games 1 & 2.

Ulbrich for playing Sauce in zone when fans know he should be taking out opposing team studs like Lamb and this week Kelce .. and trotting out Mosley on 3rd downs.

Whoever had influence over me becoming a Jets fan.

• Upvote 1