Sports illustrated piece on Zach Wilson

If this was a team that had a winning record last year and was poised to take the next step, maybe I could see trading for a QB. But I'm not going to kill JD for not giving up assets for a chance to sneak into the playoffs. He already traded premium assets for Rodgers.

I agree with this. He should have signed a better back up in the offseason and had Zach learn as the QB3. At this point see what Zach gives you and move on. It’s a shame to waste this defense but what can you do.

4 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

All of these guys are statistically better than he is. Before you tell me the stats don’t tell the story, have you watched all of these QBs extensively this year? The guys that aren’t bolded, would you be happy with them as your QB?

what is your basis for this? Gardner Minshew has a 64 QBR compared to Zachs 36. Russell Wilson has a  16/4 TD/INT with a 101 QB rating. Can you show your reasoning on just these two examples?

It’s okay to say Zach Wilson is not a good QB. It’s a very common opinion. Go check out FootballsFuture and see  what neutral fans think of him.

Putting Wilson ahead of Russ is someone who’s trolling. Same with Minshew.

• Upvote 4
  • More Ugh 1

Jets beat Chargers 17-13.  "This is unsustainable!  We are going backwards"

Jets beat Raiders 20-9.  "This is garbage!  It's not fair to the defense!"

Jets make playoffs.  "This is setting the team back!  Now we will never be rid of Zach Wilson!"

May happen.  May not happen.  But even making it back to the AFCCG won't satisfy everyone because we didn't get to see it happen with Mike White, or even Trevor Sieman leading the charge.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Kudos to Breer for adjusting on the fly to puke out 800 words on Zach Wilson. Poor guy had that “Brian Daboll Redemption” story half written, then had to scrap it. Mark of a professional journo. 

yes well chat gpt is very versatile these days 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Jets make playoffs.  "This is setting the team back!  Now we will never be rid of Zach Wilson!"

May happen.  May not happen.  But even making it back to the AFCCG won't satisfy everyone because we didn't get to see it happen with Mike White, or even Trevor Sieman leading the charge.

tbf this would be very funny. it would make me sad but, objectively, its funny

15 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

All of these guys are statistically better than he is. Before you tell me the stats don’t tell the story, have you watched all of these QBs extensively this year? The guys that aren’t bolded, would you be happy with them as your QB?

what is your basis for this? Gardner Minshew has a 64 QBR compared to Zachs 36. Russell Wilson has a  16/4 TD/INT with a 101 QB rating. Can you show your reasoning on just these two examples?

It’s okay to say Zach Wilson is not a good QB. It’s a very common opinion. Go check out FootballsFuture and see  what neutral fans think of him.

Russell Wilson's QB rating is 16 points higher than it was last year with Hackett calling the plays for him.  Besides the OL the Jets have the worst OC in the league and a HC who thinks the CEO gives a pep talk before teeing off at the golf course.

4 hours ago, Gibby said:

Yes he’s the Jets quarterback.

Yes- The Jets have won four games with him.

Two of said games took absolutely insane things to happen to get the win.

Yes- he made two good throws late.

Confirmed - he is not turning over the ball at an alarming rate anymore- but still turning it over more than he puts up points.

Bottom line is, he is still the absolute worst quarterback in the league ( not sure it’s even close). 

Cool

Can we just run hurry up offense all game long? He seems best when he’s not thinking…

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Russell Wilson's QB rating is 16 points higher than it was last year with Hackett calling the plays for him.  Besides the OL the Jets have the worst OC in the league and a HC who thinks the CEO gives a pep talk before teeing off at the golf course.

Okay

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

Pac, when you are getting likes from JF80 on every post, you have to question  your thought process bud, too many white russians?

Jf80 is the Zach Wilson of posters but on this topic he is mostly correct. 

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

I get it you just don't want to agree... It's fine... I see the growth in Zach and I see that although Zach has made a few bone headed plays, that the offense is also failing as a unit that makes Zach look worse then it actually is... 

I also believe that the offense is getting very close to breaking out if they could just stay healthy for a game or two... I know, I know... The Stat army is going to tell me that the statistics say otherwise... Got it.. 

Stats also don't show context... In a few weeks maybe I agree with you... But at the moment, I know what I am watching and it's a qb trying to make plays while running for his life in tough conditions with his own teamates causing some of the drive ends.. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, jetswin said:

good post, but I want to address the above,,, I remember Nomath getting booed at Shea when I was a kid there, the one constant is Jet fans I guess lol

Good point... of course even Joe would eventually have endured a cascade of boos from the Jet's faithful.

4 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Slightly OT but I went to look up his numbers this year and saw his record is only 3-3.  Did he not get credited with the win against Buffalo somehow? 

Starting QB gets the win.  
The win is credited to Rodgers

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Nah ... I just call it like it is .

Do you think others don't?  Lol.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

.. Zach is a young QB that was a project coming out

That's not what you said when he came out.  

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

forced to play right away with poor coaching.

Which you and posters like you demanded.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Never developed until this year.

Said development not visible in his production.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

He also has tremendous upside, physical ability, and is learning to process the game at a faster rate.

"Tremendous".

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

The team has won with him at QB against the best defenses in the league.

Key words "The team won".  

Zach is 11-17 as a starter.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Add into this that the OL has not been in shambles for two straight years.

I look forward to your thread critical of JD for failing to build a durable, effective O-line.

Or do you think the O-line is nobody's fault, aw shucks, no one to blame.....

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

He still has a high ceiling, but he needs to accelerate his progress with real results in the form of better production .. specifically yards per game and TDs/Ints.

A "tremendous" ceiling?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If our Defense finishes #1/#1 in the NFL, and Zach Wilson finishes 32nd amongst starting QB's in every metric, that still won't bother Zach truthers, because "he won games".

It's a shame the Jets D isn't getting the credit it deserves from the "Zach wins" folks, because they're about the only reason this team isn't sitting at 1 win right now.  Them and Breece Hall.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

How did last year play out?  

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Best part of the article was reading quotes of Zach Wilson explaining plays because he sounds like someone who has an understanding of what he is seeing.

I'm gonna go on record and state that I don't think his problem is that he's dumb. I'd argue that it's the opposite.

When I see him play, I see someone who is overthinking and overwhelmed. Not a guy who has no idea what he's doing. That's why he looks so much better in situations where there isn't any script.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

If this is actually true then it's complete bullsh*t.  Not that I care for Zac but if the snap percentage is over X that QB should get the win.  Right???

Personally I don't see why a QB alone should get a team stat. Sure, he's the most important player on the team but he only plays on one side of the ball.

• Sympathy 1

If our Defense finishes #1/#1 in the NFL, and Zach Wilson finishes 32nd amongst starting QB's in every metric, that still won't bother Zach truthers, because "he won games".
It's a shame the Jets D isn't getting the credit it deserves from the "Zach wins" folks, because they're about the only reason this team isn't sitting at 1 win right now.  Them and Breece Hall.
The D is awesome ...

It's also the side of the ball that has by far the most investment. (Not including Rodgers) It's also been penalized at an astounding rate.

They need to clean up their game to become elite.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I'll say it again - Zach's issues were not throwing the ball on Sunday. He should have had 300 yards passing in a downpour with a 3rd string center and Becton getting owned by Thibs. The Breece Hall drop was bad, the Lazard drops were really bad, and the GW drop was half bad - half a good play by the D. He had one really bad screen pass - that's it throwing the ball. Zach had 0 turnover worthy throws and he was under duress the whole game. Sensing pressure from his blindside, holding on to the ball too long are the areas he was BAD. Pressure up the middle is the worst spot to get it from and with 3 centers playing it was constant. Once he can master the protections, sense the blitz, and get rid of the ball if nothing is there, then he can be a very good QB. He's making progress. 

Enough with the D playing great - the QB didn't throw a pass and Barkley still rushed for over a 120 yards when everyone knew they were going to run. The D was playing the worst O in the league and our O was playing a very good D. Our D gifted them the touchdown with so many stupid penalties. The whole TD drive by the Giants was because of penalty yards. Any D in the NFL would have stonewalled the Giants on Sunday with that QB. And the offsides when it mattered most - ughhh. I think the bye week gets everyone out of synch in their defense (pun intended). 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

I get it you just don't want to agree... It's fine... I see the growth in Zach and I see that although Zach has made a few bone headed plays, that the offense is also failing as a unit that makes Zach look worse then it actually is... 

I also believe that the offense is getting very close to breaking out if they could just stay healthy for a game or two... I know, I know... The Stat army is going to tell me that the statistics say otherwise... Got it.. 

Stats also don't show context... In a few weeks maybe I agree with you... But at the moment, I know what I am watching and it's a qb trying to make plays while running for his life in tough conditions with his own teamates causing some of the drive ends.. 

Got you, I actually do think Zach Wilson is improving, though marginally.

But I still want to know how you conclude he’s better than Minshew and Russell Wilson this year. Do you believe that their supporting casts are truly THAT much better? 

What is your logic for these claims?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

"Everybody's fault but Zach" crew checking in, clearly.

Same dudes were killing MFW for "losing to the Vikings" when Berrios couldn't squeeze a pass in the end zone that hit him in the hands.

It's a joke.

Or blaming him and not the OL for nearly being sawed in half by dirty Matt Milano.

At least Mike got the pass off.  Zach would have run backwards and taken the sack fumble 20 yards behind the LOS.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

Got you, I actually do think Zach Wilson is improving, though marginally.

But I still want to know how you conclude he’s better than Minshew and Russell Wilson this year. Do you believe that their supporting casts are truly THAT much better? 

What is your logic for these claims?

@Reasonable Jets Fan I see you’re out there giving out neg reps. 

Can you enlighten us please?

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

@Reasonable Jets Fan I see you’re out there giving out neg reps. 

Can you enlighten us please?

Nothing I say is going to change your mind... You are stubborn and almost as unrelenting as 80, bit, t0m, and Warfish... No use in wasting my time 

And I didn't give neg rep 

Context doesn't matter to you guys. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Nothing I say is going to change your mind... You are stubborn and almost as unrelenting as 80, bit, t0m, and Warfish... No use in wasting my time 

Yeah, not even close. I’ve never even started a thread on this board. 

Show your work. Stop trying to deflect. Show us your reasonability.

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

And I didn't give neg rep 

Context doesn't matter to you guys. 

I’m asking you for the context that makes Zach Wilson better than Gardner Minshew and Russel Wilson. You’re failing to provide it.

• Sympathy 1