Fireman Ed

1 hour ago, GreekJetinPatLand said:

If you dont like fireman ed then FU. this guy is great! people dont like him because they are stupid and jealous of him. Jealous that he is not afraid to be jets fan like they are. I love that he likes the team and not afraid to show it. Every single person that dislikes him is just a d bag that only hates him cause they dont have the balls to be like him. 

Just freaking let the guy root for the jets and join in if you want. This Shaun guy doesn't even spell his own name right, stupid hippy.

• Upvote 3

To those wondering "how can you not be a fan of Fireman Ed?", I can't stand when fans try to be the "ultimate fan" that gets associated with the team.  When we had that run to the AFC CG in 1998, I remember they were showing him on TV as if "the leader of the Jet fans is here".  Obnoxious!

Pretty sure he was actually a Dolphin fan for a while, btw.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

To those wondering "how can you not be a fan of Fireman Ed?", I can't stand when fans try to be the "ultimate fan" that gets associated with the team.  When we had that run to the AFC CG in 1998, I remember they were showing him on TV as if "the leader of the Jet fans is here".  Obnoxious!

Pretty sure he was actually a Dolphin fan for a while, btw.

but what makes it worst and made me not like him is he left us. 

i get it, the Jets are a hard team to root for. and anybody has the right to leave the team if they want to. but then you cant be the "ultimate Jet fan" or "Jet superfan". 

i forgot what year it was but he gave up on us. i dont know if he stopped going to the game or just stop the chants. 

Super fans never leave there team. so Ed is just a regular guy in my eyes, nothing special.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Love the Dolphin fan thing. We has been at pretty much every Jets game since the 80s as far as I know. Other than the year he got hurt and Covid.

He does what he does and asks for nothing. This week he left his family because a group from Germany wanted to meet him. He stopped what he was doing, told nobody, asked for nothing and spent time with them.

Ed's legit and a very good dude.

More importantly the stadium is louder with him doing the chant.

Thanks Max for giving us the real take from first hand experience. So many people make judgments based on a 10 second tv clip. Why someone on this site should hate a guy who bleeds green and white is beyond me. You don’t like his style or the chant, fine, but it’s clear he loves the Jets and he gives the fan base a national identity for which I am grateful. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

This isnt true. Ed got assaulted by a few visiting fans in the bathroom. He stopped doing the chant because the amount of hate he was receiving was insane.

He never stopped going, he is a season ticket holder and kept his seats. Randomly he ended up sitting on the aisle the next section over from me those years. He took pictures with people, cheered and never missed a game.

i never knew that, thanks.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

We hate everything here:

Fireman Ed, Cimini, Manish, pff, Cowherd, Collinsworth, Aikman, Woody, Romo, Jets hating national media, Francesa, WFAN hosts,  ESPN NY hosts.

Not everyone on this board hates everything. Only the vast majority of posters on this board hate everything. A few don't hate everything.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Love the Dolphin fan thing. We has been at pretty much every Jets game since the 80s as far as I know. Other than the year he got hurt and Covid.

He does what he does and asks for nothing. This week he left his family because a group from Germany wanted to meet him. He stopped what he was doing, told nobody, asked for nothing and spent time with them.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dolphins-superfan-big-papa-pump-calls-fireman-ed-a-disgrace/

Dolphins superfan Big Papa Pump calls Fireman Ed 'a disgrace'

You may have heard that the Jets metaphorically killed Fireman Ed. On Sunday, the man responsible for burdening the world with the 'J-E-T-S Jets!, Jets!, Jets!' cheer, explained his decision to step down as the team's unofficial mascot.

Ryan Wilson

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm ET2 min read

fireman-ed-big-papa-pump.jpg
Jets. (US Presswire)

You may have heard that the Jets metaphorically killed Fireman Ed. On Sunday, the man responsible for burdening the world with the "J-E-T-S Jets!, Jets!, Jets!" cheer, explained his decision to step down as the team's unofficial mascot.

Even Rex Ryan weighed in on the news.

"I love that guy's passion and energy he would bring," Ryan said. "He's a great fan. I really admire him. He was great. If we do our job on the field, that 'Jets' chant will continue."

Sure thing, Rex.

While we wait for Fireman Ed's triumphant return, Dolphins superfan Thomas Phillips, who goes by Big Papa Pump, took the opportunity to rip his Jets counterpart during an appearance on 790 the Ticket in Miami.

“If you’re stepping down because of what you see, getting your butt whupped week-in and week-out and you haven’t been to the Super Bowl since Super Bowl III, that is a wuss. That is a wuss,” Mr. Pump said via ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini. “You don’t back out of your team like that. That’s something you don’t do. You don’t step down from being a superfan. You don’t do that. Fireman Ed, you’re a disgrace, man.”

Of course, one of the reason's Fireman Ed cited for leaving Thursday's Pats-Jets game was "confrontations with other Jets fans (had) become more common, even though most Jets fans are fantastic."

That's right: the man was driven into exile because of Jets-on-Jets crime.

Not only is Ed hanging up his fireman's lid, he's even deleted his Twitter account, a revelation that prompted this from former Jets defensive lineman Kris Jenkins.

That's right, Fireman Ed was once a Dolphins fan. According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Ed "was a Dolphins fan while growing up in College Point, N.Y., before switching his allegiance to the Jets in the mid-1970s.

Mr. Pump has been a Dolphins ticket holder for 17 years and doesn't think Fireman Ed can recover from this.

"This team is looking up to him and this is what he's telling them? You quit? You just give up? If you're winning and you quit, it's another thing. But you're losing and you quit, that's even worse. …

"You can't come back," Pump continued. "You have to come back as somebody else," he said. "Maybe he can be Nurse Ed. He can't come back as Fireman Ed, there's no way. You can't welcome him back. How can you trust him?"

Can Ed play quarterback? Because the Jets would welcome him back with open arms.

9 hours ago, billo83 said:

Never understood the hate for Ed.

Its not hate its jealousy because Ed has actually become part of the Jets history and it irks a small % of fans.

You know, the fans that when talking about the NYJ refer to themselves as we or us as if they are actually part of the team.

• Upvote 1

That's cool but I still think the "I'm the ultimate Jets fan" thing (he knows how much publicity he gets, yet he still eats it up) is obnoxious.  

Ed asked me one time why Sar hated him so much. I didn't have an answer. Ed laughed and was like he really hates me lol.

My son Dan is now 33.  When he was 9, he and I were leaving Giants Stadium after a game and we came across Ed near one of the exits.  He put that fireman's hat on my son's head and we took some photos.  Very nice guy.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

My son Dan is now 33.  When he was 9, he and I were leaving Giants Stadium after a game and we came across Ed near one of the exits.  He put that fireman's hat on my son's head and we took some photos.  Very nice guy.  

He probably is a nice guy but he eats up the attention, which is obnoxious.