Shakir TD not on Sauce Gardner - Blown coverage by Brandin Echols

JETS SB

1 minute ago, Ken Schroy said:

SNY crew said it was on Whitehead.

Whitehead had the safety coverage over the top, but Shakir blows by Echols, as he is just standing there. Zone coverage. Sauce comes over and tries to intercept the ball. Which is why he was being blamed. After the game, he was questioned on the blown coverage and he defended himself. Maybe he just should have said nothing. But the fact is, he tried to make a play, but it wasnt his guy, underneath or over the top.

This is what we are talking about?  Maybe instead of defending himself he should learn how to tackle. He had a couple of piss poor attempts yesterday including a pathetic wave.  Despite tackling with the intensity and technique of my five year old son, he still managed to get a roughing penalty for a pathetic suplex delivered 3 seconds after the whistle that he wasn't able to apply until Diggs had quit playing (since the whistle had long blown).  He seems great, but truly great players hone their craft and try to make their weaknesses strengths.  Something tells me that his tackling is not going to become like Michael Jordan's jump shot.   

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is what we are talking about?  Maybe instead of defending himself he should learn how to tackle. He had a couple of piss poor attempts yesterday including a pathetic wave.  Despite tackling with the intensity and technique of my five year old son, he still managed to get a roughing penalty for a pathetic suplex delivered 3 seconds after the whistle that he wasn't able to apply until Diggs had quit playing (since the whistle had long blown).  He seems great, but truly great players hone their craft and try to make their weaknesses strengths.  Something tells me that his tackling is not going to become like Michael Jordan's jump shot.   

Deion Sanders will go down as one of the greatest DBs of all time and we wouldn't even try to tackle.  Finding fault with Sauce Gardner's tackling is so far down the list of this team's concerns - if it ever becomes a bigger issue it means our team has gotten A LOT better.

• Upvote 4

I agree.

But Saleh threw Sauce under the bus in his post-game presser. It was surprising because he rarely singles players out, and we know he has protected Zach like he’s one of his own children.

Saleh mentioned the penalty (the suplex) then immediately added on that Sauce missed his guy on the seam route. 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I love Sauce but there's something annoying about the fact that right after the game he had to get on Twitter and tweet out that the TD wasn't his fault.

He did it while being interviewed too.  He tried to come off as being magnanimous by not naming who's fault it was but made it abundantly clear it wasn't his. 

Grand scheme not a huge deal but a flaw that will probably go away as he matures. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Deion Sanders will go down as one of the greatest DBs of all time and we wouldn't even try to tackle.  Finding fault with Sauce Gardner's tackling is so far down the list of this team's concerns - if it ever becomes a bigger issue it means our team has gotten A LOT better.

Some truth to this and some BS.  I get the point that he is one of the guys we want to keep, but this is a team that plays a bunch of zone and expects the front six to cover a ton of ground.  The DBs helping tackle is a bigger deal than when Rex had everybody manning up.  It also is a problem when guys don't try to get better.  When your best are getting better it sets a good example.  When they look pathetic and lacking in effort in any part of the game it is a problem, whether large or small.

I don’t blame Sauce for defending himself.  He’s an absolute stud.  Quite possibly the best player at his position in the league.  He gets constant hate from his own teams fans, among other people, who wouldn’t know a coverage scheme if it smacked them in the face.  And why?  There are far worse self promoters than Sauce who aren’t as good as him.  Others around the league who are on his level, and self promote far more and are sh*t bag humans.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It wasn't on Sauce but even if it was, who cares? Guys get beat sometimes. 

I love Sauce but there's something annoying about the fact that right after the game he had to get on Twitter and tweet out that the TD wasn't his fault. 

And mention it in his post game interview. I like sauce. And I get it. He’s looking out for himself. Maybe just from a different time but comments like that don’t sit well with me

Theres no need. Coaches teammates pretty much anyone important that watches the film knows he wasn’t at fault. Why go public 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

And mention it in his post game interview. I like sauce. And I get it. He’s looking out for himself. Maybe just from a different time but comments like that don’t sit well with me

Theres no need. Coaches teammates pretty much anyone important that watches the film knows he wasn’t at fault. Why go public 

Agreed. I think it's a social media thing with new age players. They have their critics on Twitter and feel they need to defend themselves against the masses that want to see him fail because they don't like him and the Jets. It's immature, but he'll likely grow out of it.