Robert Saleh Poll

Should Robert Saleh Continue as HC of the NYJ?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should Robert Saleh Continue as HC of the NYJ?

• He is a slogan dependent pile of hot ignorant about Offense garbage and should be fired immediately
    • He should be fired at the conclusion of the season and only if a better candidate is available (meaning just about anyone)
    • He should be given 1 more season to see if he can win with Rodgers coordinating the offense
    • I'm OK with Robert Saleh and he should remain HC of the NYJ for many, many years

Fire him. The slow starts, historically bad offense, and lack of discipline (penalties) fall squarely on his shoulders. He is not a good head coach.

JD needs to go as well. His two most important decisions (head coach hire and QB selection) have both proven to be disasters. It's unforgiveable.

• Upvote 3

Peter principle, again. Saleh just isn't head coach material. He is responsible for the mess on offense as much as anyone. It's been tough luck with injuries on offense but far too often their is a lack of accountability and adjustments on offense. 

That said, I don't think there's much of a chance he is not here next year. 

I don't know who might be available when we eventually fire Saleh but we should really try to hire a guy who has been there and done that.  We need to bring in a Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy type guy instead of another guy who likely will fail being promoted to HC for the first time.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Bill Parcells benched Phil Simms for Scott Brunner.  Went with Glenn Foley over Vinny Testaverde.  Twice.  Traded for Rick Mirer and started him until we were out of playoff contention.  I just think he is a fat ******* blowhard, but apparently you think he was a bad coach.

I think his 2 SB rings and 3 appearances, as well as turning around sh*t franchise after sh*t franchise gives him some leeway, and overcomes some obvious bad decisions you mention. If Saleh wins 2 SBs with the Jets I will overlook his terrible job he has done with the offense so far

• Haha 1

Wow, the board has turned almost completely around on this since last year's polls.

As others have said, Saleh and JD are a package.  They need to go together.  

Saleh's teams during the second half of last year had no fire for a team playing for a playoff spot.  This year - undisciplined.  He's like Herm.

JD assembled this mess of an offense.  I really feel that any other NFL GM with the same cap space and draft capital would have done better.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Peter principle, again. Saleh just isn't head coach material. He is responsible for the mess on offense as much as anyone. It's been tough luck with injuries on offense but far too often their is a lack of accountability and adjustments on offense. 

I don't know who might be available when we eventually fire Saleh but we should really try to hire a guy who has been there and done that.  We need to bring in a Sean Payton or Mike McCarthy type guy instead of another guy who likely will fail being promoted to HC for the first time.

McCarthy was begging to come here.  JD said no.  Add that to the list of failures.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

This season has solidified my feelings on Robert Saleh. Bottom line is he stinks. He has no inclination to become meaningfully involved with the offensive side of the team. A successful HC must put his stamp on the O, the D and the Special Teams. He is a glorified HC of the D and has demonstrated ad infinitum that he is clueless on the O side of the ball. He also has demonstrated that he lacks the ability to identify and hire excellent assistant coaches favoring friends and acquaintances over more qualified candidates. 

Hmmm, sounds like you read something from Nania.  I agree that saleh does not understand the offense.  We know Rex didn’t and I’m not sure if Bowles did either.  That’s no excuse for saleh.  He started off badly by hiring milfy.  I’m not ready to say he compounded it by bringing in Hackett.  He’s done to himself by expecting the defense to keep the points low, which they’ve mostly done.

Should he be launched? Maybe but next season a lot of salehs issues should be addressed.  Hackett/ Rodgers with an improved oline and some additional skill players might do wonders.  Of course it also means that saleh keeps his nose completely out of the offense.  Their directive should be to just score points.

• Upvote 1

Saleh is almost certainly here through the Rodgers experiment and if it goes well, he'll remain. The team is not going to blow everything up with a new coaching staff. Conversely, I don't know how many quality head coach candidates would want to slide into this situation.

Saleh deserves a lot of blame for what's going wrong on the offense. He made an awful pick for OC in LaFleur and a second bad pick with Hackett. I don't entirely believe the Hackett hiring was just a lure for Rodgers. Saleh weighs down the offense with a defense first system that forces the offense to give up tempo control and run more short plays to eat up the clock. That's a big part of why the offense stinks every drive. I don't see any good OC candidates wanting to come to a team where the head coach is effectively fighting against the offense. 

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

McCarthy was begging to come here.  JD said no.  Add that to the list of failures.

How does this make sense?  They were considering McCarthy when they hired Gase.  McCarthy was begging to come here in January of 2019.  Mike Maccagnan was GM.  Gase got rid of Maccagnan and they hired Douglas in May.  Would be kind of crooked and strange for Douglas to fire Gase before he ever coached a Jets game when he was the man that got Douglas the gig.  In 2020, when McCarthy took over the Cowboys from Garrett, Gase was coming off a surprisingly successful season and it would have been tough to fire him.  When the Douglas did shop for another coach in 2021 McCarthy was already entering his second year with the Cowboys.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JiF said:

As an objective observer of the New York Jets who just truly enjoys conversating w/ their wonderful fanbase, I dont think you have a choice but to roll it back w/ Saleh and see if he can make it work w/ Rodgers.  Not just because Rodgers wants him as the HC but also because, you wont be able to attract a great HC to come play second fiddle to Rodgers till he retires, so you're kind of stuck till this experiment ends. 

I really welcome insight from other fanbases like this.  This one is a keeper, @Maxman

• Haha 2

I cannot blame Saleh for JD drafting a terrible QB, Aaron Rodgers getting injured, and JD not bringing in a capable backup. The defense is stellar. He needs offense. Thats on JD, not Saleh. Can't blame him for bringing in Hackett either. That brought Rodgers here, which is what they and mostly everyone wanted. He got hurt, but he was our best option.

I am not saying that none of this is on Saleh. I just don't feel he is the main reason. He deserves a chance, at minimum, with Rodgers in 2024. 

1 hour ago, Jdeet said:

I cannot blame Saleh for JD drafting a terrible QB, Aaron Rodgers getting injured, and JD not bringing in a capable backup. The defense is stellar. He needs offense. Thats on JD, not Saleh. Can't blame him for bringing in Hackett either. That brought Rodgers here, which is what they and mostly everyone wanted. He got hurt, but he was our best option.

I am not saying that none of this is on Saleh. I just don't feel he is the main reason. He deserves a chance, at minimum, with Rodgers in 2024. 

Saleh and Douglas have been on the same page for pretty well every single decision.    Saleh talked him into trading up for Jermaine Johnson, saleh was fully happy getting will McDonald.   He was fully on board with the whole rodgers thing.

Those two should be a package deal, they both stay or they both go.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, shawn306 said:

I voted to give him 1 more year, but if Rodgers see the field this year in a meaningless game then I would want him and Douglas out.

It is all about 2024 now.

Couldnt agree more. The last thing this team needs is for Rodgers to get hurt in a totally meaningless game which, sadly, is all we have left on the schedule. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Fire him. The slow starts, historically bad offense, and lack of discipline (penalties) fall squarely on his shoulders. He is not a good head coach.

JD needs to go as well. His two most important decisions (head coach hire and QB selection) have both proven to be disasters. It's unforgiveable.

Couldn't agree more... but as others have pointed out they will probably roll out these stiffs again.... 

Let's see how the rest of the season plays out.
I don't think Saleh will survive another non-competitive, ugly end to a season.  As of right now, I do think he is in "1 more year with Rodgers" territory.
I agree for now .. but he is right on that razor edge .. a couple more losses ... 🪓

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yup, I think I mentioned this in another thread.  The Jets always are the team promoting to the point of incompetence.  Saleh is a great DC but a poor HC.  I think he, JD, and the rest of the staff should be gone, but I think they’ll all get next year because of Rodgers.  In the meantime, we’re stuck with a lot of incompetence with the coaching and GM.  I hope this turns around quickly, but I’m not confident at all.

2 minutes ago, Rochester Jets said:

Yup, I think I mentioned this in another thread.  The Jets always are the team promoting to the point of incompetence.  Saleh is a great DC but a poor HC.  I think he, JD, and the rest of the staff should be gone, but I think they’ll all get next year because of Rodgers.  In the meantime, we’re stuck with a lot of incompetence with the coaching and GM.  I hope this turns around quickly, but I’m not confident at all.

Great DC??? SF defense didn't miss him one bit.  We are heavily penalized and undisciplined. We have a great D, but credit him? 

He reminds me of REX. No discipline, no offense, Smoke and mirrors. Rex went to Buffalo and their defense got worse.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Great DC??? SF defense didn't miss him one bit.  We are heavily penalized and undisciplined. We have a great D, but credit him? 

He reminds me of REX. No discipline, no offense, Smoke and mirrors. Rex went to Buffalo and their defense got worse.

Well he got a HC job because of the success he was at least involved with in SF.  I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt regarding his competence at DC.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Rochester Jets said:

The Sean Payton or McCarthy types don't come around very often. Not sure what the interim plan should be but I wonder if they shouldn't just stick with the current staff until one does and then move aggressively to land them. That's not a vote of confidence for the current staff, it's just wanting to get it right when the opportunity presents itself. Hiring someone else could put you in a spot where it doesn't make sense to fire a coach too quickly or whatever.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I think Rex was better TBH as a DC. Saleh's defensive personnel is way better than what Rex had. Rex schemed his way to a very good defense. Saleh doesnt have to do that

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1