Who are you drafting without trading back

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

If Penix lights up Michigan he’s going top 15. He throws as good a ball in college as anyone in recent memory and has insane pocket presence. If he had a clean bill of health he’s probably a top 2-3 pick. Some team will take a swing at him; so many QB needy teams in the top 15. 

I don't have any issue with him as a prospect per se, but his twice-blown knees are going to limit his top-end draft spot I think.  His broken merchandise already.

And he's in a crowded field on 2nd tier guys.  Jayden Daniels?  J.J. McCarthy? Bo Nix? Sheduer Sanders? They'll be fans here who think each of these guys is the better guy compared to Penix.  So will some number of GM's as well.

It's gonna be interesting, as you say, plenty of QB-starved teams, although several do have guys they've picked recently and haven't finished test driving yet.  How these guys workout, how they're health checks go, etc. could play a big role in where each one goes.

Makes little difference to the Jets, sadly.  I strongly believe there is absolutely no chance, none whatsoever, that JD will pick a QB in the first round, and we don't have a 2nd round pick (and with Rodgers, I doubt we'd think QB in round 2 either).

May as well start scouting the late-round guys.  That's how I've been looking at it, with Joe Milton (hopefully as an UDFA) a guy I'd like to see in our camp/on our P.S. perhaps.

• Upvote 1

Michael Penix Jr.

QB Washington

Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 216 | RAS: N/A

Penix first broke out at Indiana in 2019, but injuries and inconsistent play led to burning out at the school. But he landed at Washington and immediately became a star again, completing 65.3% of passes for a whopping 4,641 yards, 31 touchdowns, and eight interceptions. The lefty pocket passer proved to be a Heisman contender and NFL talent.

There's a lot to like about Penix, as he's an accurate, smart thrower who knows his own limitations and overcomes his average arm strength. His passing motion has improved greatly as he uses touch to deliver passes into the hands of his playmakers. He's also willing to let his tremendous receivers go to work, trusting them in contested coverage.

The concern with Penix is his lack of physical traits. As Teddy Bridgewater did as a prospect and pro, Penix struggles to drive the ball into tight windows, and his passes hang just long enough to be a problem in the NFL. He's not a runner and, therefore, he must be dominant from the pocket to be a plus NFL starter.

A very good collegiate player, Penix should integrate into an offense fairly quickly. However, his physical limitations and struggles against pressure are concerns for his upside. That earns a Day 2 grade. - Ian Valentino

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't have any issue with him as a prospect per se, but his twice-blown knees are going to limit his top-end draft spot I think.  His broken merchandise already.

And he's in a crowded field on 2nd tier guys.  Jayden Daniels?  J.J. McCarthy? Bo Nix? Sheduer Sanders? They'll be fans here who think each of these guys is the better guy compared to Penix.  So will some number of GM's as well.

It's gonna be interesting, as you say, plenty of QB-starved teams, although several do have guys they've picked recently and haven't finished test driving yet.  How these guys workout, how they're health checks go, etc. could play a big role in where each one goes.

Makes little difference to the Jets, sadly.  I strongly believe there is absolutely no chance, none whatsoever, that JD will pick a QB in the first round, and we don't have a 2nd round pick (and with Rodgers, I doubt we'd think QB in round 2 either).

May as well start scouting the late-round guys.  That's how I've been looking at it, with Joe Milton (hopefully as an UDFA) a guy I'd like to see in our camp/on our P.S. perhaps.

The first pick is a tackle and i can’t see how they don’t use it on that.  Then it could get interesting.  What do they do with huff, do they turn that into draft capital?  Would they consider using a 2025 pick to move up to grab a qb they like?  Does penix or mccarthy make it to the 2nd round?  If one does, and they’ve turned huff into a 3rd rounder, they would be in a position to move up and take one, have that guy be the back up qb and qb in waiting.  It’s not a bad strategy.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

The first pick is a tackle and i can’t see how they don’t use it on that.  Then it could get interesting.  What do they do with huff, do they turn that into draft capital?  Would they consider using a 2025 pick to move up to grab a qb they like?  Does penix or mccarthy make it to the 2nd round?  If one does, and they’ve turned huff into a 3rd rounder, they would be in a position to move up and take one, have that guy be the back up qb and qb in waiting.  It’s not a bad strategy.  

It has to be an offensive tackle. 

It's not hyperbole to say we've got the worst unit in the league. AVT can no longer be trusted to stay healthy, and can't be asked to move to tackle.

We've got to sign/trade for a tackle and draft one (probably more than one if we include the later rounds). 

39 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Huff isn't the Jets' player to trade, unless you're thinking they might franchise tag him at over $20MM for one more season, though that seems extremely doubtful. 

They're either extending him - which means keeping him, not signing & trading - or they're unable to come to a price agreement and he'll go to the highest bidder in March. Jets probably aren't at the top of his destination list anyway, as he's been stuck as a situational player with the team's depth at edge/end.

They allegedly began extension talks with him in November, but as there hasn't been an agreement or anything further leaked since then, I have to believe they're far enough apart that Huff will want to test free agency. Especially now, that his risk of serious injury for the remainder of this season is in the past (or almost, as there's just 1 game left and he plays barely half the snaps anyway). 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JetsFlyer said:

I'm going with nabers if the two OTs are gone

I'd give chargers what they want in a trade up to get one of them  but JD won't trade up. 

Without having a 2nd, it's tougher to trade up this year.

• Upvote 1

If I’m the GM I’m loading up on OL 

JC Latham

OT Alabama

Christian Haynes

OG UConn

Josh Simmons

OT Ohio State

Jaden Hicks

S Washington State

Brenden Rice

WR USC

Taliese Fuaga

OT Oregon State

Roman Wilson

WR Michigan

Jackson Powers-Johnson

OC Oregon

Delmar Glaze

OT Maryland

Joshua Gray

OG Oregon State

20 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Fuaga is where I'd lean, although Bowers is incredibly attractive. Imagine an elite weapon that can  also block? Could be a 2 birds, 1 stone situation. TE in the 1st is so risky though.

OT. OT. OT.

Kapisch? 

QB is out. The Jets “decision makers” would not want to upset Rodgers. 

That leaves us at best available offensive player. Guess that will be Bowers.

Pretty disappointing to have to use our best off-season asset on a tight end but that’s the position the Jets put themselves in. Hopefully Bowers will be a weapon in a few years after this all fails and we have a new GM, HC, QB. 

Man, the Jets really messed everything up, again. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Do NOT take a suspect OT like jc latham over a top end WR, epic disaster of a pick in waiting.

Let's pass on a jusitn jefferson for the next becton.  If the top two ots are gone do not reach.

I’m a big Bama fan and I would not take Latham that high he’s not plug in play.

• Upvote 3

Depending who’s there, Daniels. Nabors, Bowers in that order.

I’m sick of watching an offense without a good young QB and good receivers. Assuming we dump our 1st round LT, we still have a 2nd round center and a 1st round T/G here.
You shouldn’t have to use a 1st or 2nd every freaking year to build a decent OL.
This GM is supposed to be an OL guru. Hire a good coach, install a good system and build a cohesive 5 man unit. That said, we’re not fixing this one in one year, so take your time and develop a guy like Warren and another 3rd or 4th round guy you take this year.

If we get Daniels let him sit behind Rodgers while he takes the beating. That gives us another year to complete building the competent OL and develop Daniels.

Tell you what, if the Jets get the chance I’m fine with Penix. He’d plenty removed from ACL stuff and he’s even get some extra recovery time behind Rodgers (hopefully). I’m fine with his age. QB isn’t a position that flames out after 32 so whatever. 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Just IMO -- I'd be surprised if Rome Odunze isn't the #2 WR by draft time. I've seen some hot takes that he's better than MHJ.

The announcers the other night kept calling him "The best wr in college football"...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Tell you what, if the Jets get the chance I’m fine with Penix. He’d plenty removed from ACL stuff and he’s even get some extra recovery time behind Rodgers (hopefully). I’m fine with his age. QB isn’t a position that flames out after 32 so whatever. 

I’d take him also, but not in the top 10: and we don’t have a 2nd so… we’re sh*t outta luck with him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Nobody is talking about mccarthy.  If he somehow falls into the 2nd round i would use 2025 draft picks to get him and have him be the backup 

Penix has 11 inch hands and a longer schlong.  O lineman is one of the biggest

crapshoots, Third round Raimann is the Colts top lineman not overrated overhyped

Nelson. Get an offensive line  coach in fact get a new coaching staff. Middleton

stinks. Ruckert has better hands than Bowers or just about every TE in the NFL

and the home grown bastid can block. WR is more important than OL or TE.

My guy is Nabors, though Rone and the others would ne fine.

If the good Lord grants me a final request, I'd like  him to send the

two bald genius and the headless horseman owner to Guantanamo Bay

and draft Izzy Smoke's husband or Michael triple X Penixxx

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I'm leaning towards Bowers and Nabers as well. People get caught up in need that they'll take the 4th or 5th rated OL because we need an OL when you can take the 6th or 7th rated guy a round later and get a more premium prospect 1st......you have to see how the board falls...obviously if guys like Alt or Fashanu are available at our pick I'd take them and not look back....I'd rather the best prospect available as long as it's not a position that's overstacked already....

Bowers looks like a nightmare matchup for years to come and we need a long-term solution at TE anyways...Conklin comes off the books soon and the only TE we have for the foreseeable future is Ruckert. WR enough said if we're in range for a guy like Nabers you take him and get GW some help to take the pressure off him.