Who are you drafting without trading back

25 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Since they boned themselves from one HOF'er by beating the Commanders, I'd say you go get the other one in Bowers.  The Jets need elite playmakers and I think the way Bowers can be used is going to be insane

The issue is this......do you have any confidence this version of the jets will use the player the best way possible?

I like Bowers a lot, could be kelce version 2 more or less but I have zero confidence this offense would use him the right way.

• Upvote 1

One guy who I expect to be in the mix amongst top OL is Sims from Georgia.  Very young but elite size and production has been great in that conference.  Hate to see another 1rd pick likely going to the line but until it is functional you have to keep building.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The issue is this......do you have any confidence this version of the jets will use the player the best way possible?

I like Bowers a lot, could be kelce version 2 more or less but I have zero confidence this offense would use him the right way.

As a principle, I dont look at the draft this way because coaching staffs arent around forever.

That said, yes, I do think they'd be able to use him properly, especially w/ a healthy Rodgers.  Say what you want about Hackett but Hall is 4th overall in yards from scrimmage for RB's and is #1 in receiving yards.  Garrett Wilson w/ a big game, could catch 100 balls w/ the worst QB play in the NFL.  So yeah, I do think they'll be able to get Bowers properly involved.  He can do it all, the ultimate utility player.  He's like a bigger CMC honestly.  Just a freak.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Warfish said:

Ultimately, I likely go OT, then WR, then TE only if I have to, in that order, at pick #8.

I agree with OT, then WR at pick #8.  And I would seriously try to get one in free agency first, which might sway me as to who we should take with the #8 pick.  The offense desperately needs an offensive tackle and another stud wide receiver next year.  I have no problem with Conklin and Ruckert as our tight ends, simply because the offense can not function without a quality run blocking tackle and a wide receiver who can take pressure off of Wilson to get open.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Jc Latham was already giving off Becton vibes before the Rose Bowl 

in the Rose Bowl he got blown up so bad on 4th and goal that he tripped up Milroe and hurt his knee

absolute dog water of a prospect I wouldn't draft him at all 

I was just going by position that was available in the mock draft generator. I would be going heavy on Oline

23 minutes ago, Alka said:

I agree with OT, then WR at pick #8.  And I would seriously try to get one in free agency first, which might sway me as to who we should take with the #8 pick.  The offense desperately needs an offensive tackle and another stud wide receiver next year.  I have no problem with Conklin and Ruckert as our tight ends, simply because the offense can not function without a quality run blocking tackle and a wide receiver who can take pressure off of Wilson to get open.  

We should look under every rock to find several OT's this coming offseason.  Draft, Free Agency, OT Old Folks Home, etc.

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

People get so uptight about a prospect's age.

Like you said, QBs last forever, a quality QB can play easily until 35-38 years old.  "oh no, we only have our next QB for 12 years instead of 14!"

If anything it’s just as useful to assume that his extraordinary amount of experience lessens the learning curve for him. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We should look under every rock to find several OT's this coming offseason.  Draft, Free Agency, OT Old Folks Home, etc.

I like Warren at tackle next year, but we will need a second starter for the other tackle spot, and a quality backup if/when one of them goes down with injury.  Or, 2 quality tackles, and Warren as the #1 backup.  Either way, I agree, we need at least 2 quality OT's.

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The scary thing with Penix is that he's 24, has torn two ACLs, and has had multiple shoulder surgeries. Between 2018-2021 every season ended with an injury.

2018: Tore his ACL
2019: Season-ending sternoclavicular joint injury
2020: Tore his ACL again
2021: Season-ending AC joint injury

In theory I'd be interested but I just don't trust his body especially on the Jets.

Wasn't aware of the injury history.

On the Jets, with their crack medical staff, trainers, and the MaimLife turf, this sounds like a surefire recipe for disaster.

• Haha 1

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Wasn't aware of the injury history.

On the Jets, with their crack medical staff, trainers, and the MaimLife turf, this sounds like a surefire recipe for disaster.

Haha exactly.

With our terrible OL, terrible medical staff and injury prone turf we should be more sensitive to injury history than most.

EDIT I misread the original post. 

I'd go with Nabers in that scenario. I don't love reaching for an OT because it is a need. I'm skeptical about a tight end in the top 10 given the recent history so I'm passing on Bowers. I'm reserving my right to change my mind after I watch Odunze's film, but right now I would go with Nabers. He is absolutely electric and his ability to setup up DBs and explode into his routes is something to behold. 

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

My point in this was to just open the idea that maybe the top 2 OTs are off the board when we draft and the next best guy is a reach and yet we still don't love our OT situation going into the draft (cant see us doing nothing in FA with it).

Do we reach for an OT (not always the best draft philosophy to just draft a position to draft it). Although if we drafted the next best OT this last draft even with Jones going before us. It would've been Harrison who was pretty good as a rookie OT. Who would've been a "reach" pick. Bur likely would've still been a good pick.

Or do you not reach and go BPA on offense at skill. That could be a guy like Bowers, Nabers, Obunze to name a few.

I also don't like the idea of people just being lazy and say trade back. Because that's a lot easier said than done. Takes 2 teams to tango and the deal to work for both sides. Not always easy like a lot make it seem.

You either move up to get an OT or grab a top WR.  Nabers is a solid production machine.  The get a Clyde gates stiff to run wind sprints all game

On 1/3/2024 at 1:53 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

Just IMO -- I'd be surprised if Rome Odunze isn't the #2 WR by draft time. I've seen some hot takes that he's better than MHJ.

The next Vernon ghoulston

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

8ba1es.jpg

So there's this guy, we'll call him Joe Douglas... probably fighting for his job in '24. In other words, win at all costs. 

That does not look like drafting a QB to sit behind Rodgers. 

Sure so when AR gets hurt again we can repeat this past season. If JD is that dumb then he needs to go. 

• Upvote 1

JC Latham or Nabers. 
Good chance Nabers is gone by the time we pick at 8 - BTW. 
JC Latham is a monster and being underestimated by many on here, IMO. 
Bowers is tempting but I'm feeling more and more like he is a luxury. Maybe after FA I will change my tune. I think Bowers will be there at 8. 

For the jets they draft o line , I line and
O line. I would be ok with a QB but we
All know that’s not going to happen. I would also trade down for our second back and draft two o lineman.

16 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Based on what exactly?

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/rome-odunze-draft-scouting-2024/

"Weaknesses. He's a bit of a workout warrior because his speed and explosiveness don't translate to separation. The bulk of his big plays were reliant on him finishing through contact or requiring masterful nuance on the sideline because he doesn't have the burst of speed to rely on "

13 hours ago, Alka said:

I like Warren at tackle next year, but we will need a second starter for the other tackle spot, and a quality backup if/when one of them goes down with injury.  Or, 2 quality tackles, and Warren as the #1 backup.  Either way, I agree, we need at least 2 quality OT's.

If we don’t go draft a LT we can sign Trent Brown

• Upvote 2

All signs point to the Jets addressing the WR position in free agency before the draft (previous interest in Evans, Adams, Tee Higgins etc)

That allows them to go OT likely in rd 1 or even go Bowers.

But the Oline has to be addressed in free agency, as well. JD has alot of work to do. The Oline is a mess. 

• Upvote 1

My honest take is to take Pennix or Daniels, if they are there. The line can be fixed through other draft picks as well as free agency. I would not pass up the opportunity to draft a highly rated QB to sit behind Rodgers, especially in this draft class.

• Upvote 2

I don't watch very much college football but if we don't go OL (or QB!), and the plan is to take a non-MHJ WR, I'd also be open to taking Brock Bowers.  He'd give us another receiving threat and a potentially elite player (which are always good to acquire).  You can usually get some solid WRs in FA.

But probably the move is going to be OT in round 1 followed by another OL in round 3.  Someone on Jake Asman yesterday said that there's a center (I think from Oregon) who might win some award who might last until round 3.  That would work because we could leave Tippmann at OG.  A rookie LT and C with AVT and Tippman at OG would fill 4 spots.  Then we'd have to get another OT in FA.  That could work.  I'd still hate to pass up a potential FQB though.

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Best available offensive player outside of RB.

Whether it's OL, QB, WR, TE.... this offense simply needs the best players it can get its hands on at almost all positions.

Also, come back and do the same thing with the next pick.

In a perfect world, the entire draft is offense, the first two picks, in my opinion, QB and OL. 

Every move, this offseason, needs to be about offense 

Been grinding on this mock, but here’s a preview:

1. Bears: Drake Maye—Caleb Williams freaks everyone out during the draft cycle so the Bears try their hand again at drafting a UNC QB. Justin Fields gets traded to the Falcons for a pair of threes. 

2. Miami Dolphins—Caleb Williams. Williams forces his way to Miami, and new Commanders coach Bill Belichick doesn’t hesitate to hate-**** Bob Kraft directly in the ear by facilitating this trade. The Dolphins get their Tua upgrade, and Belichick gets Tua plus a boatload of picks to start his rebuild. 

3. Pats—Marvin Harrison Jr. 

4. Cardinals—Malik Nabers

5. Giants—Jayden Daniels. 
6. Chargers—Joe Alt. 
7. Titans—Ola Fashanu

8. Jets—Troy Fautanu: Dumb sh*t Jets drop out of the elite tackle range and are stuck looking at a bunch of right tackle stiffs. Amarius Mims has medical flags and Latham is a rocked up goon. It comes down to Fautanu, Fuaga, and Odunze, but the trade for Davante Adams and the signing of near-death David Bakhtiari lets Douglas pick the versatile, tough interior beast, moving AVT to right tackle full time. 

• WTF? 1