Who do the Atlanta Falcons end up hiring as Head Coach?

Who do the Atlanta Falcons end up hiring as Head Coach?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who do the Atlanta Falcons end up hiring as Head Coach?

• Bill Belichick
    • Jim Harbaugh
    • Other

Atlanta seems to be getting some big name coaches for second interviews and mutual interest.  I knew it was a decent situation there and people like Arthur Blank, but interesting that this seems to be such a popular potential destination.

Who gets the job for the Falcons?

Just now, T0mShane said:

Harbaugh must be the worst interview ever. Read this morning that there’s a strong chance he gets frozen out again and has to go back to Michigan.

He has a second interview with the Falcons on Tuesday.  I also heard he might be the Chargers first choice.

Honestly have no idea how this plays out.  It always seems shrouded in mystery.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Harbaugh must be the worst interview ever. Read this morning that there’s a strong chance he gets frozen out again and has to go back to Michigan.

Harbaugh seems like kind of a huge a-hole.  And he must be thinking that he can write his own ticket at this point after winning it all with Michigan (plus having taken an NFL team to the SB).  That probably adds to his a-hole-ness.

I was about to ask if any coach had ever won both a SB and a National Championship.  Then it occurred to me that Jimmy Johnson has done it.  Not sure if anyone else has.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

He has a second interview with the Falcons on Tuesday.  I also heard he might be the Chargers first choice.

Honestly have no idea how this plays out.  It always seems shrouded in mystery.

FWIW, Josina Anderson is saying that it’s Belichick for the Falcons. The Harbaugh thing could just be to give Harbaugh leverage. Chargers makes the most sense, but they’re interviewing the upper tier guys this week, too. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Harbaugh seems like kind of a huge a-hole.  And he must be thinking that he can write his own ticket at this point after winning it all with Michigan (plus having taken an NFL team to the SB).  That probably adds to his a-hole-ness.

I was about to ask if any coach had ever won both a SB and a National Championship.  Then it occurred to me that Jimmy Johnson has done it.  Not sure if anyone else has.

Supposedly Stephen Ross us willing to make Harbaugh the highest paid college coach in the country to stay at Michigan. The Chargers are historically cheap and might not want to match, especially considering how attractive that job is with Herbert in place. They could pay Ben Johnson or Mike McDonald half of what Harbaugh would likely command and get a significantly less weird coach

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Barry Switzer did it too, with Oklahoma and the Cowboys.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I mean who is the best QB he developed and he’s running away from penalties and probably sanctions.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

What will you do Jim if we were to bring you on?

What ever the **** I want!

Game Over Reaction GIF by Jimmy Conrad

• Haha 3

You have to wonder why would Atlanta put Belichick through a second interview and then bring Harbaugh for a second interview. You'd think both guys are prominent enough not to have to go through this just hire the guy you want period. And what is so great about the job that they'd go through with this. 

• Upvote 1

Harbaugh is going to stay at Michigan. He’s treated like a god now that he won the natty, he wants two things:

- all the $$$$$ back that was taken from him when they reduced his salary plus more

- assurances he can’t be fired for cause if Michigan is hit with serious sanctions

2 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

To me, it looks like Belichick is just using Atlanta as a wedge to give him leverage for the job he really wants..and that job is not open yet. Giants. He may take this year off and bide his time with an disclosed offer to take over in 2025. 

take a year off? If he were 5 years younger, sure. But he’ll be 72 in April. 

hiring a guy to be your head coach at 73 is just a bad idea. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

cause nobody trusts him. they probably think in a year or two he would leave to go back to college for the money.

the guy was with one of the best organizations in football and had success there and leaves to go to Stanford for the money? then anyone can get him to leave again.

7 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Bill most likely imo 

The big question is what they do at QB and I’m super interested to see how that plays out.  

Belichick wants to have a decent QB in place. Doesn't appear to be the case with the Falcons. Chargers have a QB, but the owner is cheap. And what ever you think of him, 6 Lombardis means he's not working Bobby Salad level compensation. He might even be demanding an equity stake in a franchise. Don't think it's crazy to consider if the right QB/$ combination doesn't open up, he'll be happy to have some network hand him a big check every week and play golf on Nantucket 5 days a week and see what opens up next year. 

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

First words out of his mouth are probably something like:

”10 years 100M, full control, take it or leave it”

5 hours ago, doitny said:

cause nobody trusts him. they probably think in a year or two he would leave to go back to college for the money.

the guy was with one of the best organizations in football and had success there and leaves to go to Stanford for the money? then anyone can get him to leave again.

Harbaugh didn’t leave the NFL for Stanford, he left Stanford for the NFL.

Do you mean when he left SF? He lost a power struggle with the GM.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/niners-still-haunted-by-jim-harbaugh-mistake/13084/?amp=1

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

One can only hope. That way he'll be available for us next off season

2 hours ago, doitny said:

your right, it was the other way around..lol

When you said that he left one of the best organizations in football for Stanford I thought that you were referring to the University of San Diego. If that were the case, you were right.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Its interesting especially with established coaches in this league.

Bill B:  He requested a meeting with Arthur Blank that did not include Rich McKay the General Manager so that could be a telling sign about who he won't work with.  I read earlier in the year how the new owners of the Washington Commanders wanted Bill B on their sideline so that is still a wildcard for me.

Harbaugh:  The Chargers are a team similar to the Jets playing in a stadium that is not theirs.  They need fans, Revenue and they need a reason to get out of that mess like the Jets do and go to their own venue.  Harbaugh loves California, Harbaugh having a QB and an early round pick would  be a nice transition. It would be a complete change for this ownership to do something like that but may see the writing on the wall to match whatever offer he wants.

Vrabel:  This is the coach that reminds me of Andy Reid.  A really good coach that was let go too soon that goes on to have a successful career in a place that he begins from the start up.  Washington could be a landing spot for him or SD if Harbaugh does not work out.

15 hours ago, hawk said:

What will you do Jim if we were to bring you on?

What ever the **** I want!

Game Over Reaction GIF by Jimmy Conrad

Blank: Jim, why don’t you tell me a little bit about your plans for the ball club. 

Harbaugh: Are you familiar with The Knights Templar? Hugues du Payens? The Siege of Damascus? The Battle of Mansurah? They were the greatest fighting force in all of Christendom. Nominu tuo da gloriam. 

Blank: OK?

Harbaugh: If they were standing before you today, here, would you refer to them as a “ball club?”

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

You have to wonder why would Atlanta put Belichick through a second interview and then bring Harbaugh for a second interview. You'd think both guys are prominent enough not to have to go through this just hire the guy you want period. And what is so great about the job that they'd go through with this. 

Negotiation leverage on $ + control against each other.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Blank: Jim, why don’t you tell me a little bit about your plans for the ball club. 

Harbaugh: Are you familiar with The Knights Templar? Hugues du Payens? The Siege of Damascus? The Battle of Mansurah? They were the greatest fighting force in all of Christendom. Nominu tuo da gloriam. 

Blank: OK?

Harbaugh: If they were standing before you today, here, would you refer to them as a “ball club?”

This is next level commentary. Hahahaha

42 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Its interesting especially with established coaches in this league.

Bill B:  He requested a meeting with Arthur Blank that did not include Rich McKay the General Manager so that could be a telling sign about who he won't work with.  I read earlier in the year how the new owners of the Washington Commanders wanted Bill B on their sideline so that is still a wildcard for me.

Harbaugh:  The Chargers are a team similar to the Jets playing in a stadium that is not theirs.  They need fans, Revenue and they need a reason to get out of that mess like the Jets do and go to their own venue.  Harbaugh loves California, Harbaugh having a QB and an early round pick would  be a nice transition. It would be a complete change for this ownership to do something like that but may see the writing on the wall to match whatever offer he wants.

Vrabel:  This is the coach that reminds me of Andy Reid.  A really good coach that was let go too soon that goes on to have a successful career in a place that he begins from the start up.  Washington could be a landing spot for him or SD if Harbaugh does not work out.

i read somewhere that Harbaugh is some QB whisperer. i forgot the names of all the QBs he had a hand in developing. imagine what he could do with Herbert.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

they probably want to do different things and Blank has to think it over or see if there Flexable with their strategy. 

BB wants to win now. he probably wants to trade or sign the biggest FA QB there is. 

Harbaugh probably wants to draft a QB, and he would know who the good ones are. at 8 maybe someone he likes falls there but he could maybe want to move up to 5 with the Chargers or even #1 with the Bears. now this might not mean playoffs this year. 

so Blanks is probably weighing those 2 things. Playoffs now with the best HC of all time or roll the dice with a drafted QB and a very good HC. and to trade for #1 will cost alot and if they get it wrong could sink them for years.

thats my guess.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, doitny said:

they probably want to do different things and Blank has to think it over or see if there Flexable with their strategy. 

BB wants to win now. he probably wants to trade or sign the biggest FA QB there is. 

Harbaugh probably wants to draft a QB, and he would know who the good ones are. at 8 maybe someone he likes falls there but he could maybe want to move up to 5 with the Chargers or even #1 with the Bears. now this might not mean playoffs this year. 

so Blanks is probably weighing those 2 things. Playoffs now with the best HC of all time or roll the dice with a drafted QB and a very good HC. and to trade for #1 will cost alot and if they get it wrong could sink them for years.

thats my guess.

Blank is 81 going on 82… you think he doesn’t wanna win now? I look at this like a Hess situation, the old guy wants to see the team win one before he croaks. That 28-3 collapse probably looms huge in his mind -  the Falcons job is Bill’s if he wants it

• Upvote 1