Rex Ryan ‘would not be shocked’ if Bills fire Sean McDermott for Bill Belichick

https://nypost.com/2024/01/22/sports/rex-ryan-would-not-be-shocked-if-bills-hire-bill-belichick

Rex Ryan ‘would not be shocked’ if Bills fire Sean McDermott for Bill Belichick

Bill Belichick potentially moving from New England to Western New York “would not” shock former Bills coach Rex Ryan.

When discussing the Bills’ crushing divisional-round playoff loss Sunday to the Chiefs, Ryan floated the idea of Belichick remaining in the AFC East following his split from the Patriots this month, should Buffalo brass decide a coaching change is needed.

“This is the craziest thing. This might be the spot where Bill Belichick goes,” Ryan said Monday on ESPN’s “DiPietro & Rothenberg Show.”

“I’m just saying if ownership thinks that you [head coach Sean McDermott] have taken this team as far as you can, which I’m not agreeing or saying they should do it, but this could do it. Who could take us to the next level, well Bill Belichick. And I’m not saying that it’s definitely going to happen, but would not be shocked.”

McDermott succeeded Ryan in Buffalo in 2017 and has reached the playoffs six out of the past seven seasons.

Buffalo fell to Kansas City in the 2020 AFC Championship game and has reached the divisional round the past three years, including Sunday’s 27-24 loss to the Chiefs.

McDermott came under fire over a failed fake punt decision in the fourth quarter while trailing by three.

“Just felt like we were having a hard time stopping them and they were up three at the time I believe it was and wanted to be aggressive,” McDermott told reporters afterward. “You only get one chance and so I wanted to be aggressive. Obviously didn’t work but it’s the decision I made and you live with it.”

With the offseason coaching search in full swing, Belichick — who won six Super Bowls during his 24 seasons as coach of the Patriots – has been heavily linked to the Falcons’ vacancy.

He has had two interviews with the team, despite a new report suggesting the front office isn’t keen on that potential hire.

Belichick is coming off a dismal 4-13 campaign with the Patriots placing last in the AFC East.

• Upvote 1

If the Bills are dumb enough to do this, Woody should change his mind immediately and pursue McDermott.

Yes, he's another coach from the defensive side of the ball, but he has built a very strong team in Buffalo.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetpain said:

Belicheck is dragging his feet on the Falcons job.  He must be waiting for something else to open up.  

People in the league obviously know more about what is going to happen than the general public (obviously).

There are rumblings that Andy Reid might retire. I would not be shocked if BB is holding out to see if he can get that job in the case that Andy retires...

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

They aren't moving off McDermott, but if they did, I don't think it would be for a 72 year old defensive head coach who runs a completely different defense than McDermott does. 

They aren't firing McDermott (yet)....but they might next season if they don't break through. If the Giants face plant again and the talks of Daboll's toxic environment persist + and Mara fires Daboll, I could see him returning to Buffalo as the head coach.

11 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

They aren't firing McDermott (yet)....but they might next season if they don't break through. If the Giants face plant again and the talks of Daboll's toxic environment persist + and Mara fires Daboll, I could see him returning to Buffalo as the head coach.

I suppose I could, too

but I wouldn’t go near him, myself 

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

I don't think most teams would now, but the Bills are the one team that values Daboll the most given his work with Josh Allen.

Oh 

in my head, I was still thinking about belichick 

lol

i would hire Daboll 

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Oh 

in my head, I was still thinking about belichick 

lol

i would hire Daboll 

hahaha yeah the Bill aren't hiring him. I think Belichick is waiting out KC to see if Andy Reid retires and BB can add a ring or two to his resume with Mahomes as QB.

• Upvote 1

Looks like McCarthy is staying in Dallas

Looks like Siriani is staying in Philly

I doubt McDermott get fired in Buffalo.

These guys good coaches. Although i would probably have pulled the trigger on McCarthy. I think Buffalo will re-tool. Let Diggs walk and hope they are not playing the Chiefs next time with a Defense that using 3rd 4th string linebackers and secondary.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Never has a guy who won like 3 games last year been such a hot commodity.

I'm actually not convinced that he is such a hot commodity. 

It sounds like the executives in Atlanta under Arthur Blank don't want to hire Belichick, and if he doesn't get that job, it's not clear he's getting a job this cycle. And if he doesn't, is he going to be more attractive a year from now when he will be turning 73? We'll see

I've been screaming for weeks that hiring Belichick would be a mistake for most teams. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That would be very stupid of them, it won;t happen.

What is belli going to will Bass to not miss.

Never has a guy who won like 3 games last year been such a hot commodity.

I think he’s a hot commodity, not for his 4 wins last year but for his 6 Super Bowl rings prior. 🤷‍♂️ 

if your a team with a qb why wouldn’t you want bellicheck?

I would be shocked. McDermott has that team in the playoffs every year. Sure, they've taken a step back every year since Daboll left, but they've still been close to the final game seven of the eight most recent seasons. You look around the league and you're not going to find a lot of teams getting rid of head coaches who have their team in the playoffs year over year. 

Belichick doesn't need to be in a hurry to pick a team. His agent can get more money on the table by creating these rumors about other teams thinking about hiring him. ATL seems to be fighting against paying him a fortune by interviewing everybody they can find. Right now I don't think the market for Belichick is as big as the price tag his agent hung around his neck.

this is dumb. mcd is a solid coach and buffalo has a good thing going. they came up short? ok try again next year and the year after until the window closes up.

you dont get rid of good ppl because you "only" won 1 playoff game

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

People in the league obviously know more about what is going to happen than the general public (obviously).

There are rumblings that Andy Reid might retire. I would not be shocked if BB is holding out to see if he can get that job in the case that Andy retires...

Reid is out to pasture if he wins the Super Bowl.  If he loses to Ravens this week or to SF/Lions in the Super Bowl, he'll be back next year.  Their GM will be looing to add another WR for a 2024/2025 try at a ring. 

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I think he’s a hot commodity, not for his 4 wins last year but for his 6 Super Bowl rings prior. 🤷‍♂️ 

if your a team with a qb why wouldn’t you want bellicheck?

Well this is Aaron Rodgers to the Jets type of gamble all over.

People love to toss out the hof and goat and all the past accomplishments of these guys.   None of that matters, what matters is what are they bringing to your team right now.

Like Rodgers you are hoping the guy is the coach he was 3 years ago and not the disaster of the last two years.  Like Rodgers there is a LOT of baggage as you are not just getting a coach you are getting a guy that has run all aspects of his team for years and wants a major say in personnel.

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well this is Aaron Rodgers to the Jets type of gamble all over.

People love to toss out the hof and goat and all the past accomplishments of these guys.   None of that matters, what matters is what are they bringing to your team right now.

Like Rodgers you are hoping the guy is the coach he was 3 years ago and not the disaster of the last two years.  Like Rodgers there is a LOT of baggage as you are not just getting a coach you are getting a guy that has run all aspects of his team for years and wants a major say in personnel.

The Pagullas already have shown what they think of  guys who bring extra baggage by canning Rex not 2 years into his deal. They saw through his BS pretty quickly.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

This is stupid.  BB isn't going to Buffalo.

He's a "Patriot for life" and would never risk vilification by the fans in NE.

Yeah, but......

If Bill is anything, it would be a Giant.  He was teary eyed in a football life when visiting Giants' stadium.

Patriot Nation has long moved on from Bill.  Love Bill the Coach.   Bill the GM has soured many.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

Yeah, but......

If Bill is anything, it would be a Giant.  He was teary eyed in a football life when visiting Giants' stadium.

Patriot Nation has long moved on from Bill.  Love Bill the Coach.   Bill the GM has soured many.

The Giants I could totally see.

He'd be in the NFC.  That wouldn't be taken as a betrayal or whatever.

Like when Brady went to Tampa.

I can't see him staying in the same division and having to play against Kraft and Mayo 2x a year.

BB is not going to come in and work with Buffalo's 4-3 defense and loose cannon QB.  This team was designed by McDermott and Beane to be what it is.  

The best fit for Bellichick was probably Tennessee or Atlanta.   I think he would work for the Chargers.  I would not be surprised if he has a tough time finding a spot.   Of course the existing front office of the Falcons does not want BB.  He will suck the air out of the building.

Remember when Bum Phillips said (basically) that Don Shula can take his and beat yours, or take yours and beat his?  I am not certain that BB currently is that type of coach.   Defensively BB needs a particular kind of roster-smart players who do their jobs, take up space in the front 7, with a strong DB with safeties who can cover and tackle.   It could take awhile at certain teams to build that roster.  And he is not going to tolerate a QB that freewheels it.  

For the Bills, they are basically Marv Levy and Jim Kelly again.  So close, yet so far, but highly entertaining and selling lots of tickets.  I think it makes sense for the Pegulas to stay put, finetune, sell tickets and keep rolling it out.   I don't see them doing what the Bucs did with Gruden.   Similar decision as the Cowboys, and I have reason to believe that the NFL supports that plan. 

It is a shame that the Jets can't reboot with BB, or Harbaugh, or Vrabel this year.   I think they should be prepared to bring in an entire new leadership team, regardless of what scheme they work with.

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Giants I could totally see.

He'd be in the NFC.  That wouldn't be taken as a betrayal or whatever.

Like when Brady went to Tampa.

I can't see him staying in the same division and having to play against Kraft and Mayo 2x a year.

Don't underestimate spite.  

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Belly and Rodgers? 
I could see that working. 

I mean that's the thing. Belly ain't no spring chicken that can ride out a 3-4-5 year rebuild. He wants nothing more than to go out on top, winning his own SB w/o Tom Brady under center.

Seems to me Belichick will go to a team with a legit shot. Probably won't be here, but it would be very tempting form him. Aaron Rodgers, Garrett, Breece, plus that Defense he always loves to coach.

9 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Looks like McCarthy is staying in Dallas

Looks like Siriani is staying in Philly

I doubt McDermott get fired in Buffalo.

These guys good coaches. Although i would probably have pulled the trigger on McCarthy. I think Buffalo will re-tool. Let Diggs walk and hope they are not playing the Chiefs next time with a Defense that using 3rd 4th string linebackers and secondary.

Would not surprise me to see the Bills get rid of Diggs and replace him with Mike Evans or Tee Higgins.

Can't really ding McDermott too badly for trying the fake punt. The Chiefs had ten men on the field at the time. If not going to go for the fake punt when your opponent does not have its full complement on the field, when would you go for it?