JD Critics Feeling Any Better Now ???

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

……or talk about  penis sizes 

Talking about Penix’s size is appropriate. He will be thrusting his way deep into the NFL this draft and our Jets might be the team that moans in delight on draft day, taking all 6’2” of him.

Penix jokes will never grow old for me, lol, god I hope we draft him for entertainment value alone….

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m trying to take the attitude that his many past flops - from Kalil to Cook - can’t be undone. This offseason he’s done fine.

Could it be better? Well there were some better FAs but (in no small part because of Douglas’s own past roster building efforts and Saleh as HC) it seems there were plenty who wanted no part of signing (or re-signing) here.

It’s a legitimate handicap, so I’m viewing this month at least partly through that lens, while acknowledging it doesn’t at all whitewash all his many misfires.

We said that last off-season, filling the roster with Rodgers wants.  How'd that turn out.  If he drafted better , our FA needs wouldn't be our number 1 priority. He has had 1 good draft   

• Upvote 2

I was always a big believer in JD but started to get very impatient towards the 2nd half of this past year (and his W/L record is impossible to defend).  I like what he's done so far this offseason quite a bit but I still think this team is kind of "creaky".  E.g. Tyron and AVT seem like high injury risks.  Plus let's see what he does at WR, backup OL and in the draft.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

JD owns 2 of the biggest draft busts in Jets folklore.  

And his handpicked Head Coach has been underwhelming to say the least.

This team needs to win games.  We can’t just celebrate how a roster looks on paper each Spring.  Eventually, the team needs to stack W’s heading into December.  And, eventually….is now.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

We're king of busts but if we had a thread of top 10 busts, I believe Zach is in there and Becton as well.  

You are talking just Jets busts, right?  Becton would be outside of the top-10.  Maybe not even close when you factor in the 70s-90s, which I know very little to nothing about. 

Zach, Darnold, Gholston, Milliner, Kyle Brady, DeWayne Robertson, Pryor, Hackenberg(I know he was a 2nd but he was gone after like 2 years without ever touching the field), Mims, Darron Lee.

That would be my group of 10, admittedly without much knowledge of anything pre-2000 other than Brady and taking O'Brien over Marino.  O'Brien wasn't a bust but he wasn't Marino.  

JD has two guys on this list though:  Zach and Mims.  Zach might be the biggest bust we've ever had, tbh.  Darnold at least had some moments and we got some value out of him.  Sanchez I didn't include since, even though he was a massive disappointment, he did get us to back to back AFC Championship Games.  I'd probably put Becton closer to Sanchez level since he was a kid who looked good and then got derailed by injuries.  I really wouldn't be surprised to see him make a decent career for himself elsewhere.

Overall though Mac drafted two bust QBs.  Darnold and Hackenberg.  The Hackenberg pick is arguably one of the worst in history, since the dude was so bad that he was given up on before they even let him see the field.  If we actually win this year though, JD will get another swing at the QB position.  We'll see if he ends up matching Mac with that bust total.  

• Upvote 1

not in the least I think we are looking at 4-7 wins this season

joe d fan boy every year hype of moves that prove to fail-his record is terrible as a gm, his hand picked coach has a terrible record and his managing of the QB has been AWFUL-he drafted what may prove to be the biggest bust in Jets history  and brought in a 40 year old qb with no viable back up last year

Wake me when we have a winning record and go to even round one of the playoffs

During Joes tenure we have seen the following trash teams turn it around 

lions, jaqs , texans , browns all have had BETTER rebuilds -I would also argue the falcons and bears are about to be on that list as well 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

JD's extension next offseason will be well worth it! 

I'd be fine with extending JD right now but there's no reason to hurry the process.  Let's see how things play out first.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to let the results speak for themselves.  Every year, the Jets offseason gets hyped up, and every year, the results on the field fall short.

Longest playoff drought in pro sports.  Enough with the offseason hype.  Produce on the field.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd be fine with extending JD right now but there's no reason to hurry the process.  Let's see how things play out first.

27-56  is not a record that deserves to be extended -if the jets dont make the playoffs he should be fired simple as that-NO WAY IN HELL I extend a guy that has that record on his resume

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

How about a winning season and playoffs?

Or is that too insane to ask for?

We all know the QB position is what is holding this team back from the playoffs....He missed on ZWilson..Look over the last 10 yrs of 1st round QBs drafted...More misses than hits...That goes for the draft in general.  It just does.  As for '23...Four plays..Four

10 minutes ago, C Mart said:

We all know the QB position is what is holding this team back from the playoffs....He missed on ZWilson..Look over the last 10 yrs of 1st round QBs drafted...More misses than hits...That goes for the draft in general.  It just does.  As for '23...Four plays..Four

Joe Douglas says “he always picks up the phone” yet they were clearly so locked in on ZW the 9ers didn’t even bother making an offer.

That was such a talent rich draft with Sewell, Chase, Micah Parsons, DeVonta Smith, etc.

They could  have traded back, gotten one of those studs AND set themselves up with additional future 1st rounders.

It’s not just your average “miss” but a monumental lost opportunity.

Zach Wilson was never anything close to slam dunk.

Once Trevor Lawrence went off the board, you can’t go ZW there.

The other aspect of swinging and missing there is the amount of fully guaranteed $

Theres still going to be a significant amount of dead cap now in year 4 while ZW is either out of the league or warming the bench for another team…

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, kmnj said:

27-56  is not a record that deserves to be extended -if the jets dont make the playoffs he should be fired simple as that-NO WAY IN HELL I extend a guy that has that record on his resume

Plus there's zero urgency to get an extension done right now.  Let the season play out and then make a decision.  I agree his W/L record is indefensible.

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Joe Douglas says “he always picks up the phone” yet they were clearly so locked in on ZW the 9ers didn’t even bother making an offer.

That was such a talent rich draft with Sewell, Chase, Micah Parsons, DeVonta Smith, etc.

They could  have traded back, gotten one of those studs AND set themselves up with additional future 1st rounders.

It’s not just your average “miss” but a monumental lost opportunity.

Zach Wilson was never anything close to slam dunk.

Once Trevor Lawrence went off the board, you can’t go ZW there.

The other aspect of swinging and missing there is the amount of fully guaranteed $

Theres still going to be a significant amount of dead cap now in year 4 while ZW is either out of the league or warming the bench for another team…

The truth is though, you have to take your swings when you get the chance.  Sometimes they don't work out but you can't let that stop you.   I think many people on this forum believe in the "take a QB every year!" theory.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The truth is though, you have to take your swings when you get the chance.  Sometimes they don't work out but you can't let that stop you.   I think many people on this forum believe in the "take a QB every year!" theory.

It depends on the draft class and your assessment of the talent.

You can’t afford to miss that high on a QB because of the opportunity cost.

To think (if this is your point) you must draft a QB because you are picking 2nd overall — I disagree with this…

ZW had 1 year of standout production in a COVID year.  The hype was never justified.  

Racking up draftable stats in 1 of 3 seasons behind 25 year-old married grown men on that BYU OL against teams like Troy and Navy or whatever was never going to be enough of a proving ground to go #2 overall.

Watch the tape of his full game vs U of W his sophomore year.  You see all the red flags.  

Joe Douglas focused only on the junior year “tape”.  Basically he saw what he wanted to see.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

It depends on the draft class and your assessment of the talent.

You can’t afford to miss that high on a QB because of the opportunity cost.

To think (if this is your point) you must draft a QB because you are picking 2nd overall — I disagree with this…

ZW had 1 year of standout production in a COVID year.  The hype was never justified.  

Racking up draftable stats in 1 of 3 seasons behind 25 year-old married grown men on that BYU OL against teams like Troy and Navy or whatever was never going to be enough of a proving ground to go #2 overall.

Watch the tape of his full game vs U of W his sophomore year.  You see all the red flags.  

Joe Douglas focused only on the junior year “tape”.  Basically he saw what he wanted to see.

I get the impression that a lot of GMs would've taken him had they picked there.  And there are always QBs who have 1 standout year who rise up the draft boards.  I might be wrong but I think Jayden Daniels is in that category.

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

1.   Should have been an outright cut, he still makes way more than he is worth.  Fail

2. Common sense, finally after years of our specials stinking under Douglas he learned.  No big credit

3. We had Mann, a god awful punter, he got hurt and we brought in morestadt and he was good, Douglas dumped Morestand to keep Mann.  See above he finally clued in after man years.  No big credit

4. Good move, simpson is not super duper but is better than the utter fail thomlinson was whom Douglas saddled us with for like 3 years.  He also totally failed in many drafts to actually draft some guards.   Little credit given.

5. A full year late doing something any dumb ass fan could have done but a least he did sign a guy who can play a bit if he does not get hurt right away.  Some credit given.

6. Had to give up assets for a guy he never should have let walk, once again average dumb ass fan knew this.   A bit of credit given.

7. His utter fail at drafting Becton made this important, credit given for getting the best guy available at a good price.

8. All 100% total meh signings, we need bodies to fill spots, some credit given.

9. Kinlaw, vastly over paid, oliver and Fotu totally meh,  Had to make Saleh happy i suppose.

If he gets a WR and drafts smartly then he gets credit, the team would be far better off if he had not panicked and got desperate with the whole aaron rodgers thing.

In the end one and only one thing matters at this point that being playoffs.

Agree with this as it is not anywhere near as impressive as if you look at the context. If JD had just stayed where he was in the draft and took the obvious player he would have had Wirfs, Darrisaw and Humphrey and like 3 additional picks. The Becton pick was awful and said so before the draft. In fact I listed Becton as my nightmare pick. Picking Becton over Wirfs made no sense on any level. The guy overvalues the line in general and then is pretty terrible at evaluating talent on the line. And with 2 1 year signings/trade he still might waste a 1st rounder on another OT. And let's not forget that he did not keep Fant or Moses because of Becton. JD sucks.  His two best picks would have been picked by a 10 year old with a draft guide. 

• Upvote 2

JD has not been perfect and I get his record sucks, but I believe that has more to do with Saleh, than JD. For the most part he has given this team some very good to very decent players. His failings are not picking enough good offensive players for this team. I blame Saleh more than I blame JD, but then again JD did pick Saleh as his HC. Who knows, it's just too depressing lol...

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was always a big believer in JD but started to get very impatient towards the 2nd half of this past year (and his W/L record is impossible to defend).  I like what he's done so far this offseason quite a bit but I still think this team is kind of "creaky".  E.g. Tyron and AVT seem like high injury risks.  Plus let's see what he does at WR, backup OL and in the draft.

My feeling is pretty much the same.  I looked at all the drafts JD had.  Other than Becton and Wilson he really has not done too badly.  Although those busts were both on the offensive side, It looks like the major problem has been Saleh talking in his ear to get the proper defensive pieces that he wanted vs. JD running FA and the draft with his own mind.  Given how bad the offense was, no matter how dense they are, they see it is time to focus on the offense or get run out of town.

I expect that this draft will be heavy on offense.  OT, WR and anther versatile OL guy that can play inside or outside.

I see two OT's that will go in the third round that IMHO will make very good starters,

Blake Fisher - ND - I watch every ND game.  I knew early on Alt was going to be one of the best LT's to come along in a decade.  I also saw a lot of Black Fisher.  He's was the stating RT.  Very clean and polished. High character guy. He is plenty athletic and strong with a good wingspan.  IMHO, he can be a starting LT.  Does not have to stay on the right side.  Only reason we don't hear so much about him is ALT.  I'm sure other GM's see what I saw.  He may very well go early in round two.  If JD can snatch him up in round 3, it will be a home run. 

Mat Goncalves - Pittsburg.  Big and perhaps not agile enough for LT, but will make a nice RT.  Probably a starter at RT.  Also has the weight and push to play on the inside.  For the Jets, he could be a very nice depth piece.  Probably early to mid round three.

Those are the other two O-Line guys that I am impressed with other than Alt, Fashanu and Fuaga...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

My feeling is pretty much the same.  I looked at all the drafts JD had.  Other than Becton and Wilson he really has not done too badly.  Although those busts were both on the offensive side, It looks like the major problem has been Saleh taking in his ear to get the proper defensive pieces that he wanted vs. JD running FA and the draft with his own mind.  Given how bad the offense was, no matter how dense they are, they see it is time to focus on the offense or get run out of town.

I expect that this draft will be heavy on offense.  OT, WR and anther versatile OL guy that can play inside or outside.

I see two OT's that will go in the third round that IMHO will make very good starters,

Black Fisher - ND - I watch every ND game.  I knew early on Alt was going to be one of the best LT's to come along in a decade.  I also saw a lot of Black Fisher.  He's was the stating RT.  Very clean and polished. High character guy. He is plenty athletic and strong with a good wingspan.  IMHO, he can be a starting LT.  Does not have to stay on the right side.  Only reason we don't hear so much about him is ALT.  I'm sure other GM's see what I saw.  He may very well go early in round two.  If JD can snatch him up in round 3, it will be a home run. 

Mat Goncalves - Pittsburg.  Big and perhaps not agile enough for LT, but will make a nice RT.  Probably a starter at RT.  Also has the weight and push to play on the inside.  For the Jets, he could be a very nice depth piece.  Probably early to mid round three.

Those are the other two O-Line guys that I am impressed with other than Alt, Fashanu and Fuaga...

Great post.  I'm glad to hear that there are (at least potentially) good OL prospects that might be available to us in the 3rd round.  While I would love a top WR at 1.10 I'm worried that it'll leave nothing in the pipeline at OT going forward and our never-ending OL problem will just continue on.

17 hours ago, THE BARON said:

1. CJ Mosely takes a pay cut.

2. Greg The Leg Resigned.

3. Morstead Resigned. 

4. Left Guard Spot Filled With John Simpson

5. Quality Back-Up QB Signed With Tyrod

6. RT Spot Filled With Moses

7. LT Spot Filled With Tyron Smith

8. Solomon Thomas, Chuck Clark, Yeboa All Resigned

9. Kinlaw, Oliver, Fotu Added To The Roster.

All of this for very sensible money.  This has been the best FA I have seen in a long time.  All major needs other than #2 WR filled with acceptable manpower, the elite kicking/punting game is back and no loss of composure to the excellent defense.  

And now, this opens up very nice options for the draft.  They can go WR.  They can go TE if they are lucky enough to see Bowers drop.  Then can still go OL. They can trade down and go OL and WR if they pick up a second.  They could stay at 10 and trade back into the first round with a 2025 pick, or they can trade up in the first round with a 2025 pick.  

They are now in the cat bird seat for the draft.

If Rodgers holds up, we'll see playoffs at home.

Who has complaints about JD now ????

I know we always win the off season, but JD earned props here...

Most of these moves wouldn't have been necessary if he did his job significantly better over the last 5 years.  This is just playing catch up. Most GM's don't get as many chances as this bozo to erase the mistakes he made and holes and he created. Winning the off season doesn't mean anything. The team record on his watch is what he should be judged on, and its been GARBAGE.

Morgan Moses is nothing more than an admission of one of his biggest f*ck ups and a hope that at 33 he doesn’t drop off.

Tyron Smith much the same with a much higher risk of injury. It looks like a great line on paper but the same people thought the line was stacked with Duane Brown on board. 

If all goes well it could be a great line and we could win a lot of games. But these are desperate short term fixes that have been needed to rectify past mistakes. It’s Douglas who’s left himself in a position to make desperate moves to save his job. He needs to win some f*cking games before people give him credit for anything. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

We said that last off-season, filling the roster with Rodgers wants.  How'd that turn out.  If he drafted better , our FA needs wouldn't be our number 1 priority. He has had 1 good draft   

Oh no doubt, it's not fair game to give him white-out for every past stupid decision, and I said in my post I'm not absolving him for some maddening moves (and I suppose, non-moves). But at the start of this season, he's in the position he's in, whatever was the path was to get to that point. 

The main area where the present offseason would be different under a new GM (aside from judgment trends) would be in handling sunk costs like recent signings (without guaranteed $ left) & draft picks. I guess if the new GM was a particular name type GM with hype following him (or if it was a hyped up GM-HC like Harbaugh, Reid, etc.). But a GM alone rarely has such panache that FAs who'd otherwise give us the finger would suddenly find the NYJ more attractive. That'd have to be from a new HC, too, or the current HC showing that rosters can be winners under his oversight.