Hop on the Bowers train or get left in the dust

2 hours ago, Falco21 said:

I honestly think we move up and grab Harrison Jr., Nabers, or Odunze. I really see JD going all in and just jumping up 

Harrison is too big of jump. Without a 2nd, would cost jets next yrs first plus the 10th overall. Just to start negotiations. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah except Bowers 40 time is closer to Xavier Worthy’s than Cooleys is to Bowers and Bowers vertical is closer to Michael Jordan’s than Cooleys is to his.

They’re not the same. 

I just wish there was some sort of annual event wherein prospects could verify the athleticism they've shown on tape and we could have concrete #'s with which to assess. 

They are like the same size tho; Cooley and Bowers. We're not talking about Gronk or Kelce or Mark Andrews. 

Let's see what Bowers does at his workout, and reassess then. If Bowers runs a 4.4, I'll say he's in contention for 10. If he runs closer to a 4.6, I expect you do be like "nahhh bro, he fooled us. Brock be pyrite."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Tom Brady was a sixth!

QB is a different beast, and Brady was a unicorn.

The league is filled with mid to late round productive TEs including some of the best of all time.

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I thought it was far more mean than funny.  Didn't feel good about it.

Though the word "chicken" gives me something to work with!

I got a notice that you quoted me, you do realize no matter how mean you are I can make it funny. As long it’s about me. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I got a notice that you quoted me, you do realize no matter how mean you are I can make it funny. As long it’s about me. 

Especially when it has to do with delicious, juicy chicken.

7 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

QB is a different beast, and Brady was a unicorn.

The league is filled with mid to late round productive TEs including some of the best of all time.

This has nothing to do with Bowers. Someone will take him wayyyy before the mid rounds and they will be rewarded for having just the tiniest of balls.

He’s basically one of the safest picks in the entire draft.

9 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I just wish there was some sort of annual event wherein prospects could verify the athleticism they've shown on tape and we could have concrete #'s with which to assess. 

They are like the same size tho; Cooley and Bowers. We're not talking about Gronk or Kelce or Mark Andrews. 

Let's see what Bowers does at his workout, and reassess then. If Bowers runs a 4.4, I'll say he's in contention for 10. If he runs closer to a 4.6, I expect you do be like "nahhh bro, he fooled us. Brock be pyrite."

Considering Odunze ran a 4.47, Bowers running a 4 flat would be silly. He’s gonna run like a 4.55

His vertical will be just about 40”

Tight ends provide the most value when they are elite blockers and can also beat LBs and strong safeties, thats why Kittle is so good - he is an elite blocker who forces the defense to stay in a base package which allows his QB/offense to excel at play action.

Kyle Pitts, arguably a better athlete then Bowers, is nothing more then a heavier WR.  Bowers had a great college career and seems like an incredible athlete, but we have a TE on the roster who had a very high RAS, is bigger then Bowers and is an elite blocker.  Unfortunately our coaching staff is as inept as possible and played CJ Uzmoah over him. 

I sincerely pray that we dont waste a pick on Bowers and can actually get Ruckert on the field with conklin to create real mismatches on a regular basis.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Considering Odunze ran a 4.47, Bowers running a 4 flat would be silly. He’s gonna run like a 4.55

His vertical will be just about 40”

We'll see it when it happens.

The first round should be earmarked for freaks and premium positions; ideally both. 

TE is not a premium position and until Brock proves it, Brock is not a freak athlete. 

His tape is dope. I'm not gonna argue that. He is clearly good and deserves to play in the league.

But goddam, give me one of those 34" arm, 320 lb dancing bears to protect my quarterback and open up lanes for Breece over some Jerrald Sowell clone that's gonna get me 3 yards on a play-action dump into the flat. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

If they don’t sign Clowney or another DE, JJ is really the only 3 down DE on the roster (JFM goes in and out). 

its traditionally a good positional value at 10 too. 

it’s a legit possibility 

Tomorrow. 

6 minutes ago, KRL said:

All Jet fans should be damaged from the OLine injuries/shuffling that
we saw last year.  Its great that they've added Smith and Moses but
both are older and could miss time.  With that being the case drafting
Bowers would be poor roster management.  There are really only two
options Douglas should entertain at #10:

- Keep the pick and draft the best OT
- Or trade down, pick up a 2nd rounder and draft some combo of OT/WR
  with the first two picks

Douglas can't be caught short on the OLine again.  That's more important
than having Bowers with no depth at OT  

3rd option

- trade up for favorite wideout, whomever you prefer using 2025 capital and draft OT depth in rd 3.

31 minutes ago, KRL said:

All Jet fans should be damaged from the OLine injuries/shuffling that
we saw last year.  Its great that they've added Smith and Moses but
both are older and could miss time.  With that being the case drafting
Bowers would be poor roster management.  There are really only two
options Douglas should entertain at #10:

- Keep the pick and draft the best OT
- Or trade down, pick up a 2nd rounder and draft some combo of OT/WR
  with the first two picks

Douglas can't be caught short on the OLine again.  That's more important
than having Bowers with no depth at OT  

Man you’re gonna love writing about Bowers in camp

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Kittle was a 5th round pick.

You’re missing my point. Every position has a valid point to not spend a high pick on the guy.

Could argue don’t use a 1st at WR. Nacua was a mid round guy last year.

Could argue don’t go OT. Plenty of starting OT that aren’t 1st rounders.

This applies to every position. So to single out TE is just to fit a narrative.

If you want to speak recently how about that both Kincaid and LaPorta were drafted in the top 34 and had very good rookie years.

I see a ton leaving Hockenson who’s been great who was the 8th pick. People only like to talk about Pitts.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You’re missing my point. Every position has a valid point to not spend a high pick on the guy.

If you want to speak recently how about that both Kincaid and LaPorta were drafted in the top 34 and had very good rookie years.

I see a ton leaving Hockenson who’s been great who was the 8th pick. People only like to talk about Pitts.

They also conveniently forget that he had 1000 yds his rookie season, got injured in his second season and played with dogsh*t at qb in an Arthur Smith offense for the whole ride.

And they take these three years and basically call it a career for him like they’re doing a retrospective on Johnny Mitchell.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BCJet said:

Tight ends provide the most value when they are elite blockers and can also beat LBs and strong safeties, thats why Kittle is so good - he is an elite blocker who forces the defense to stay in a base package which allows his QB/offense to excel at play action.

Kyle Pitts, arguably a better athlete then Bowers, is nothing more then a heavier WR.  Bowers had a great college career and seems like an incredible athlete, but we have a TE on the roster who had a very high RAS, is bigger then Bowers and is an elite blocker.  Unfortunately our coaching staff is as inept as possible and played CJ Uzmoah over him. 

I sincerely pray that we dont waste a pick on Bowers and can actually get Ruckert on the field with conklin to create real mismatches on a regular basis.

bowers >>>>> pitts.  that's all.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Flashlite80 said:

The 5 weapons are Breece, Garrett, Williams, Bowers and Conklin.  The double TE gives Rodgers untouchable protection.  He has a 130 QB rating when not under pressure.  He did that without ever having 5 weapons anywhere near as good as that.  A defensive coordinator's nightmare.

True, that would be lethal as Conklin and Bowers are both great at receiving and blocking. 

Interesting look by John B using Nania's stats on last year's TE use which pointed out them being great blockers and Conklin excelling at first down pickup's but that they lacked the big play. Plug Bowers with his big play abilities into that and BAM! 

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2023/9/8/23864270/the-hidden-role-jets-tight-ends-could-have-in-the-offenses-success

With that said, I'm still not fully on board but I'm warming up to picking Bowers

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, BCJet said:

I've been wrestling with this as well but after reading the article I posted previously in which  I reasoned that Bowers has big play abilities which Ruckert ,or any of our TE's for that matter, doesn't have I'm on the fence. Remembering how Breece did some heavy damage with 3 TE's blocking for him last year I thought it might be a nightmare for D's to face that with the threat of Bowers peeling off for the big play.  As only one aspect of Bowers worth it's something to think about. 

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I didn't miss the point, I just don't agree with it.

Positional value absolutely matters. FWIW, I criticized JD for trading up for an OG in the first round a few years ago, a move that has been a bust thus far due to injuries.

Let's say hypothetically Justin Tucker was a first round pick and went on to be the greatest kicker in NFL history.  That wouldn't suddenly justify the drafting of kickers in the first round because in reality they are readily available as late round picks or UDFAs.  It's the same point with TEs who are regularly drafted in the mid to late rounds and go on to have very productive careers.

It's one thing to draft a blue chip TE prospect in the bottom of 1st, top the of 2nd range when most or all of the blue chip prospects at the premium positions are off the board (drafting Breece early in the 2nd was a great move).  But that is not going to be the case at #10, where the Jets will be looking at players like Alt, Odunze, Thomas, Fuaga, and Fashanu potentially staring them in the face after four QBs are projected to go in the top 10.

You don't get to draft blue chip prospects at premium positions very often.  When given the chance, you must pull the trigger.  And you most certainly must not pass over them for a relatively easily filled position like TE.

Conklin is a solid, reliable vet.  Ruckert has talent, has showed decent skills on the field when given an opportunity, and is going into his third year of development.  Kuntz has elite metrics and is actively being developed.  If the Jets want to draft a developmental TE mid to late, I'm fine with that given Conklin is going into his last year.

4 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I didn't miss the point, I just don't agree with it.

Positional value absolutely matters. FWIW, I criticized JD for trading up for an OG in the first round a few years ago, a move that has been a bust thus far due to injuries.

Let's say hypothetically Justin Tucker was a first round pick and went on to be the greatest kicker in NFL history.  That wouldn't suddenly justify the drafting of kickers in the first round because in reality they are readily available as late round picks or UDFAs.  It's the same point with TEs who are regularly drafted in the mid to late rounds and go on to have very productive careers.

It's one thing to draft a blue chip TE prospect in the bottom of 1st, top the of 2nd range when most or all of the blue chip prospects at the premium positions are off the board (drafting Breece early in the 2nd was a great move).  But that is not going to be the case at #10, where the Jets will be looking at players like Alt, Odunze, Thomas, Fuaga, and Fashanu potentially staring them in the face after four QBs are projected to go in the top 10.

You don't get to draft blue chip prospects at premium positions very often.  When given the chance, you must pull the trigger.  And you most certainly must not pass over them for a relatively easily filled position like TE.

Conklin is a solid, reliable vet.  Ruckert has talent, has showed decent skills on the field when given an opportunity, and is going into his third year of development.  Kuntz has elite metrics and is actively being developed.  If the Jets want to draft a developmental TE mid to late, I'm fine with that given Conklin is going into his last year.

If we knew bowers would be similar to kittle you do it.  But if he isn’t you’ve drafted a meh TE when you passed up franchise LTs and quality wrs.