Garrett Wilson hanging with our 1st round pick?

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s weird that Bowers hasn’t tested yet, but I don’t know how much it matters in the end. He’s plenty athletic, but we’ve seen sooooooo many athletic TEs get to the pros and find out that the safeties and LBs they have to beat can comfortable stick with them. What makes LaPorta work is that he’s equally as dangerous blocking down as he is out in the route. 

I heard a rumor that the SEC has athletic and fast defenders.  

no prospect is a sure thing but I just think you have to acknowledge that any “you can’t take a TE at 10” argument discounts his versatility. 

the other question of course is how would he fit in with Rodgers ? 

Rodgers heat charts show a strong preference for deep, outside, and the flat/RB. 

he’s really not a seam guy. 

2 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I doubt CBs will be thinking he looks "nerdy" as he's barreling towards them 

brock-bowers.jpg

Dude is a badass

I'm not going to claim to be an expert on college football or Brock Bowers but, when looking at some of those highlights, he's playing against teams like UAB and UT Martin.  Even against the ranked teams, it's still not obvious in college football that a team has a good defense (e.g. Ole Miss).  Some of those plays he was wide open.  Was it because he's an excellent route runner or their OC schemed him open?  I have no idea.  But I do know that being that wide open is not going to be a regular thing in the NFL.

If JD thinks he's a great prospect then I'm fine with the pick.  But these highlights where he's wide open or where he catches a pass in the flat and then runs over guys from UT Martin don't really mean much to me.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Larz said:

no prospect is a sure thing but I just think you have to acknowledge that any “you can’t take a TE at 10” argument discounts his versatility. 

Rodgers heat charts show a strong preference for deep, outside, and the flat/RB. 

Yeah, I just think whenever you hear about tight end “versatility,” it raises some flags because it rarely translates into the pros. Even in the SEC, they’re usually not man up on a third CB and maybe 2% of NCAA teams even have a viable third corner. Ditto the LBs. Look at this draft class—the first off-ball LB might not come off the board until round three. 

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s weird that Bowers hasn’t tested yet, but I don’t know how much it matters in the end. He’s plenty athletic, but we’ve seen sooooooo many athletic TEs get to the pros and find out that the safeties and LBs they have to beat can comfortable stick with them. What makes LaPorta work is that he’s equally as dangerous blocking down as he is out in the route. 

I think it matters a lot. He’s more athletic than college players and won with athleticism in college. If he’s not going to be a plus athlete in the pros then the skill set doesn’t translate. So much of his stuff is underneath and then YAC. When defenders are bigger, stronger, and faster is he going to break tackles and turn the corner like he did in college? We already know the size isn’t that impressive which puts even more importance on the athleticism.

The blocking obviously helps LaPorta but the receiving stats are the receiving ststs.

• Upvote 2

I don't like Bowers period or comma if you will.

I'm fine with Odunze or Thomas preferably BT because

he brings the explosive speed on the outside that we

don't have. Middleton has done a poor job developing

Ruckert, Kuntz and Yebohah as receivers they all have

untapped ability in  this area. I'm a Big Ten fan. Jeremy

has the finest hands to come out of the conference.

Cuntz in his one healthy season was second in the nation

in receptions having over 70 receptions and only 2 drops.

Many draft fans consider Alabama as the measuring stick

for receivers, against the Tide Yebohah caught 8 or 9 passes

in a game for 181 yards.  As far as Blewett and Nania as

analyst they both stink.  I stopped listening to those two putzes

when they were ecstatic over the Jets signing Carl Lawson over

Trey Hendrickson for more money.  Like I said, i don't care for

Middleton as a TE coach , not concerned about him because AR8

coaches the position well, he got Richard Rodgers to catch 8 TDs

in a season ad UDFA Robert Tanyon to haul in 11 TDs as a rook

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

Bowers is a flats dude. Averaged 14.5 yards per catch in his college career, 8.5 after the catch which means he’s on average 6 yards downfield. Tons of stuff in the flats. I’m with what I think you were saying earlier, he’s a big slot you use to beat up nickels and outrun linebackers.

Think when Rodgers sees a mismatch he’d just throw it out quick like he does with Wilson.

The big plus would be if you think you can split him isolated out wide like the Chiefs do with Kelce. Occasionally move Wilson in the slot to attack a mismatch.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, derp said:

I think it matters a lot. He’s more athletic than college players and won with athleticism in college. If he’s not going to be a plus athlete in the pros then the skill set doesn’t translate. So much of his stuff is underneath and then YAC. When defenders are bigger, stronger, and faster is he going to break tackles and turn the corner like he did in college? We already know the size isn’t that impressive which puts even more importance on the athleticism.

The blocking obviously helps LaPorta but the receiving stats are the receiving ststs.

What do you think he ends up running? Mid 4.5s? 

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Small for what ?  Oh no not the mocks 😂

Only 44.7% of Bowers’ snaps were from what PFF categorizes as a tight end alignment, which would rank 168th out of 191 qualifying college tight ends, and far lower than other prospects who were categorized as “receiving-first” when entering the NFL. Kyle Pittsaligned as a tight end on 62.9% of his snaps, Dalton Kincaid on 64.5% at Utah and Sam LaPorta on 67% at Iowa (which makes sense given the Hawkeyes' recent offensive philosophy of 1 yard and a cloud of dust).

This can seem like a negative stat, and it would be for some prospects, but when watching Bowers and his role in the Georgia offense, it's more indicative of Bowers’ versatility, athleticism, skill and ability as a pure football player and Georgia’s general reliance on his ability to win from anywhere.Bowers is listed as a tight end and can align there, but he also can line up outside, in the slot, as a wing or even as a rusher in jet motion (he rushed for 193 yards and five touchdowns in college).

Bowers isn’t so much a tight end as an oversized slot player (818 of his snaps came from the slot during his college career, second-most among the 191 qualifying tight ends since 2019) and he is a true mismatch for the poor linebackers and safeties stuck guarding him:

Great post, it sounds like an insane comparison but I can see Bowers having a Christian McCaffrey type impact 

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

I think about this picture once a day. He looks so nerdy, goofy. 

IMG_6977.webp

Honestly, I was getting hot thinking you were picking on a kid with a disability.  

I still am not sure you aren't as I have no idea who that is, but the following posts lead me to believe it's Bowers.

33 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

No 2nd guessing here just helps my confirmation of what I think.

You want to trade back into the 20’s and gamble on this guy while getting a 2nd round pick absolutely but NEVER EVER EVER with the 10th pick.

I beg to differ. Bowers is a beast. He kind of reminds me of Mark Bavaro with the ability to drag defenders with him for extra yardage. I’d take him at 10, unless MHJ or Nabors  falls to us which I seriously doubt. If its between Odunze and Bowers at 10 I would be ecstatic with either one.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What do you think he ends up running? Mid 4.5s? 

I honestly don’t know, you don’t really see him move a long distance in a straight line enough to really get a feel for how the back end of the 40 goes which makes such a big impact on the time. I could see him being someone who runs a better 10 relatively speaking than a 40.

That’s probably the midpoint of his range though. He's certainly not a bad athlete but athleticism is such a big part of his fame I’d like to see if he’s a good college athlete or just a good athlete.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

It’s funny that reaction to that pic got called out lol. 

Bowers is now in the thick of silly season where one simple photograph with Rob Gronkowski has people second-guessing their initial feelings and his draft status.

Is he actually built like a tight end?

more like Igor
s-l400.jpg

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Another concern I have.  I can’t recall Arod using TE alot

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Blewitt from Jet-X is on Asman show right now talking about a question I raised on Bowers, contested catches.

Blewitt has him charted as “2 for 10 at best” for his college tape.

Dude is a complete unknown when it comes to this area, which is absolutely critical at the NFL level for TEs.

Bro got a ton of free releases.  Looked fast because he is fast but how do you judge his route running when he was left literally uncovered / ignored Jace Amaro style in all these highlight plays 🤣

That highlights the toughest part about evaluating college WRs. 90% of the catches they make putting up big numbers, by NFL standards, are wide open catches, leading to major false hope. Mims was our latest victim. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I beg to differ. Bowers is a beast. He kind of reminds me of Mark Bavaro with the ability to drag defenders with him for extra yardage. I’d take him at 10, unless MHJ or Nabors  falls to us which I seriously doubt. If its between Odunze and Bowers at 10 I would be ecstatic with either one.

This would be the equivalent of taking Jamaal Adams over a whole bunch of guys that can actually help at important positions that really really matter.

Joe Douglas is in no position to even be allowed to take a player that is basically a novelty.

It’s funny that reaction to that pic got called out lol. 

Bowers is now in the thick of silly season where one simple photograph with Rob Gronkowski has people second-guessing their initial feelings and his draft status.
Is he actually built like a tight end?
Just be glad there isn't some zip recruiter sign being waled in front of him

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

I think about this picture once a day. He looks so nerdy, goofy. 

IMG_6977.webp

There’s no nerdy looking dude than Peyton manning. And we’d all take him. So who cares. Also I’ve partied with Gronk. And he’s as goofy as it gets.

3 hours ago, hawk said:

Honestly, I was getting hot thinking you were picking on a kid with a disability.  

I still am not sure you aren't as I have no idea who that is, but the following posts lead me to believe it's Bowers.

That’s Bowers bro. 

Garrett Wilson was also hanging off the side of a building today for some reason.
Lol .. I hope that some sort of optical illusion thing, but having worked in the city's scrapers for 35 years ... That looks legit insane.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Rome Odunze, if he falls to us, would be ideal as a compliment to Garrett Wilson, in the long term, and possibly an X receiver opposite Mike Williams, with Garrett in the slot. 

Personally I like the idea of Odunze over Bowers. Aaron Rodgers would be fine with Conklin at TE. 

Who is the puny little pipsqueak on the right?  That guy will never make in the NFL.  

12 hours ago, FootballLove said:

That highlights the toughest part about evaluating college WRs. 90% of the catches they make putting up big numbers, by NFL standards, are wide open catches, leading to major false hope. Mims was our latest victim. 

I think it's tougher for us.  I assume pro scouts are better able to filter out that type of stuff.  I just think drafting players in general is a very inexact science.

Btw, am I crazy or did Mims play reasonably well his first year (making some nice catches and getting some tough yards)?  I remember thinking he would at a minimum be a solid WR (a 4 receptions for 50 yards type guy).  Obviously it didn't turn out that way for Mimsy, unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

Garret was very vocal about wanting Odunze as a teammate not to long ago.  

He also pounded the table for JSN.  I get the feeling he aspires to one day be AR8's assistant GM.

• Upvote 1