Kuntz is a better blocker than Bow-wow

54 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I noticed you didn't include any Bowers blocking for comparison

Based purely on the drivel this guy posts here, he's either a complete troll, an idiot, or has dementia. 

• Post of the Week 2

• slats changed the title to Kuntz is a better blocker than Bow-wow

It will be interesting to see how much Kuntz has progressed over the past year.  He obviously is a physical specimen, but he looked very raw in pre-season last year. He's still a roster longshot, but there is definitely natural talent there if he can put it all together.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Based purely on the drivel this guy posts here, he's either a complete troll, an idiot, or has dementia. 

Could be that he’s also got a disability. That said, we’re Jets fans, so in many regards we all do.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

All three are possibilities, strong possibilities 

The Jets have two young developing players at TE alongside a solid, steady vet.

While I like Bowers, I'm not a huge fan of taking him at #10. I'd much rather add a blue chip prospect at a higher value position in that spot.

If the Jets want to add another TE because Conklin is going into his final year, they should use the mid to late rounds or free agency next year.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I noticed you didn't include any Bowers blocking for comparison

Actually, Kuntz was taken out of a game because he missed a blocking assignment.  I remember Saleh shaking his head right after the play.

Kuntz has unicorn measurables, but is inexperienced with respect to X's and O's that he'll see in the professional game.  If he learns, he could be quite a fantastic asset.  His size alone will be a mismatch, especially for end zone corner jumps. 

9 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Naw... Bowers is a good blocker.  The talk that he's small for a TE has been parrot stuff.  He's no smaller than LaPorta that just had a Pro Bowl season as a rookie.  He receiving was elite, he gets yardage after the catch and his blocking was never lacking when he stayed in.  He was also very nice as a blocker down field for the other pass catchers.  And, Bowers looks to be a more talented player than LaPorta.  Still... The draft is still a crap shoot more or less.  Gotta see 'em play the pro game.  Always surprises... 

• Upvote 2

Have mercy on Henry. He's an old crusty Jet fan from the defunct nyjetschat site, which grew out of the exiled community (of which I was one) from the NY Times sports site - when they used to to have a sports section and allowed comments (mid 2000's?). Henry was one of the driving forces getting the Times to shut down comments on sports columns, which they later spun off into the Athletic. There are a bunch of us here that migrated from that site when the guy who hosted it had to close up shop for personal reasons. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Naw... Bowers is a good blocker.  The talk that he's small for a TE has been parrot stuff.  He's no smaller than LaPorta that just had a Pro Bowl season as a rookie.  He receiving was elite, he gets yardage after the catch and his blocking was never lacking when he stayed in.  He was also very nice as a blocker down field for the other pass catchers.

I agree about the size, but most evaluations I've seen have him as "competent" to below average. He survived being a 3 down TE in the SEC, so I'll give him credit, but I don't think the Jets will be looking to run to his side every time either lol... it's likely we see this kid in the slot sometimes, or in 2TE sets with conklin/Ruckert. Blocking college guys vs NFL DEs is a massive step up that often takes TEs years to adjust to at the pro level.

The blocking is not putting me off the kid completely, but I don't think he will have the 1TE set usage of LaPorta or Kittle either (at least right away). The beauty is that we can use him in bunch formations, slot, etc. If Rodgers likes him, they'll find a way. 

Edit: as I've said in other threads, he's not my top choice at 10, but if the top guys go as expected I'll be... OK... with it....

3 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

Have mercy on Henry. He's an old crusty Jet fan from the defunct nyjetschat site, which grew out of the exiled community (of which I was one) from the NY Times sports site - when they used to to have a sports section and allowed comments (mid 2000's?). Henry was one of the driving forces getting the Times to shut down comments on sports columns, which they later spun off into the Athletic. There are a bunch of us here that migrated from that site when the guy who hosted it had to close up shop for personal reasons. 

Who Cares Larry David GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Thumb Down 1
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I second the Motion.

Henry is an ornery old goat, but his love/hate relationship with, and dedication to, the Jets are very genuine. He's forgotten more about football and the Jets than most of us will ever know.

I don't always agree with what Henry says, but I will defend to my last virtual breath his right to say it.

• Sympathy 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I agree about the size, but most evaluations I've seen have him as "competent" to below average. He survived being a 3 down TE in the SEC, so I'll give him credit, but I don't think the Jets will be looking to run to his side every time either lol... it's likely we see this kid in the slot sometimes, or in 2TE sets with conklin/Ruckert. Blocking college guys vs NFL DEs is a massive step up that often takes TEs years to adjust to at the pro level.

The blocking is not putting me off the kid completely, but I don't think he will have the 1TE set usage of LaPorta or Kittle either (at least right away). The beauty is that we can use him in bunch formations, slot, etc. If Rodgers likes him, they'll find a way. 

Edit: as I've said in other threads, he's not my top choice at 10, but if the top guys go as expected I'll be... OK... with it....

Top notch post.  Not really possible to say how well he'd workout as a 3 down player.  With the Jets and a player like Bowers, my concern is the offensive vision and the OC.  The brass said they would be brining in additional help to run the offense, but that is still an unknown.  What we do know is that Hackett is there to hold a clipboard for Rodgers.  It is going to be a shoebox offense.  What I mean by that is the offense is already canned.  The same offense Rodgers likes to run.  No motion and all that stuff.  This is a bad arrangement when you consider a piece of manpower like Bowers.  He has tremendous versatility built into his make-up.  Running routs, blocking, ability to gain yardage after the catch. Who on the Jets CS is going to scheme up ways to best use such a player that gives you almost endless options ??? Sure, Rodgers can run the shoe-box of plays that Hackett is going to be holding, but who is going to help the offense evolve and take advantage of an amazingly skilled and versatile asset such as Bowers ??? That is my concern with adding Bowers.  Are they smart enough to get their money's worth ??? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Top notch post.  Not really possible to say how well he'd workout as a 3 down player.  With the Jets and a player like Bowers, my concern is the offensive vision and the OC.  The brass said they would be brining in additional help to run the offense, but that is still an unknown.  What we do know is that Hackett is there to hold a clipboard for Rodgers.  It is going to be a shoebox offense.  What I mean by that is the offense is already canned.  The same offense Rodgers likes to run.  No motion and all that stuff.  This is a bad arrangement when you consider a piece of manpower like Bowers.  He has tremendous versatility built into his make-up.  Running routs, blocking, ability to gain yardage after the catch. Who on the Jets CS is going to scheme up ways to best use such a player that gives you almost endless options ??? Sure, Rodgers can run the shoe-box of plays that Hackett is going to be holding, but who is going to help the offense evolve and take advantage of an amazingly skilled and versatile asset such as Bowers ??? That is my concern with adding Bowers.  Are they smart enough to get their money's worth ??? 

I've thought about this too, but I wouldn't let it put me off picking Bowers if he is the top guy on the Jets' board at 10.

Hackett is going to Hackett with whoever we add, but he won't be around forever.  I'd hate to be the team that passed on an elite offensive talent becuase we think our own OC sucks too much to use him properly. 

Bowers, if a great player, could be a Jet for a decade or more.  I'm pretty confident that Hackett won't be.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Please bring back the designated hertz thread where all his junk can go 

That thread would be a dark, dark place...

Henry has actually been pretty well-behaved, for Henry, around these parts.

• Upvote 1