Woody Johnson is (and has been) the Jets biggest problem.

• ARodJetsFan changed the title to Woody Johnson is (and has been) the Jets biggest problem.

Woody gave the go-ahead to obtain Rodgers and opened up his wallet for the Jets to bring in Tyron Smith, Mike Williams, etc.

I don’t really understand what people want in an owner. He spends on players and this current Jets team is the most talented in decades, maybe ever. My biggest problem with Woody is that he refuses to go after a proven, big fish HC every cycle.

If the Jets stay relatively healthy this year, they’re probably one of the Top 3 teams in the AFC. At that point, the biggest threat to f*ck up a magical season is Saleh. And if that happens, I’ll never forgive Woody for not throwing the bank at Harbaugh. Especially when he was already on the verge of hiring him 15 years ago before he fell in love with Rex.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1

Woody is a bad owner, but FWIW, the dark cloud you write about precedes Woody. For the most part, the Jets were an awful franchise under Leon Hess, as well. 

Either way, we can’t realistically replace the owner while he’s alive. 

This board would be a lot better if we had one all-encompassing Woody thread and one all-encompassing ZW thread. It’s the same arguments over and over and over and over and over 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Woody is a trust fund baby. Fact. His team has sucked for almost a decade and a half, and anything he's ever done has turned to crap. Fact.

We hear stories of how Woody is rabbit eared and reacts to the media and public perception. But I don't know that to be fact, only opinion. What I do see if Woody willing to pay up for talent. 

I think Woodrow is a clown owner. Why he doesn't give mandates is just silly. But our football people have the money and tools to win. They haven't. At this point it's on Saleh and Douglas. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I've followed this team for the better part of 45 years and I know there are many here, that have followed the Jets longer than I have.

Players & coaches make up the team and in large part, their talents directly effect the product that's put on the field.

That being said, until this teams gets new ownership, the dark cloud that's been hovering over this franchise for decades will continue to persist.

Woody Johnson is the problem - it all starts at the top.

Water is wet.   Woody is a total moron his brother Chris is worse.   Wait til his son takes over. 😡

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

Water is wet.   Woody is a total moron his brother Chris is worse.   Wait til his son takes over. 😡

If only Darwinism took over...

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Which might be the worst trade in Jets history when it's all said and done 

Not exactly something to brag about 

Maybe it was part of the blood pact he made with Zach's uncle and JetBlue.

• Haha 1

Woody is a trust fund baby. Fact. His team has sucked for almost a decade and a half, and anything he's ever done has turned to crap. Fact.
We hear stories of how Woody is rabbit eared and reacts to the media and public perception. But I don't know that to be fact, only opinion. What I do see if Woody willing to pay up for talent. 
I think Woodrow is a clown owner. Why he doesn't give mandates is just silly. But our football people have the money and tools to win. They haven't. At this point it's on Saleh and Douglas. 

Woody doesn’t put mandates imo because of the “pressure” that Rex put everyone under for having them and the beat crying constantly about it

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Both Parcells and Bellichick ran out of the building like it was on fire rather than take his $. And did so knowing the whole operation was moving from Hofstra to their backyards in NJ. 
Has always hired defense first HCs with no other options spare Gase (his brother's hire) and Mangini. Mangini(grant you he wasn't the best with people with the Little Bill act)  was promised he wouldn't be fired for going along with the Favre expirement and was fired despite winning 9 games and Favre getting hurt. Also failed to hire Doug Marrone because Manish Mehta said Marrone while Syracuse HC-yelled at people on occasion. 
Always pay less than most other NFL coaches. Major coaches come on the market-Harbaugh, Cowher, Gruden-and somehow they never sniff the Jets. It's not a coincidence. 
Serious football people know to steer clear of Florham Park because of the owner.
Latest ridiculousness; running his mouth about the football decision that is the Wilson disaster. Won't go as far as Bitonti that Wilson was drafted at Johnson's direction. But the owners neeeds to STFU and let his GM decide how to clean up this mess. 

Belichick left before the team even sold.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ultimately, you are judged by the results you produce.

Unquestionably, Woody has not produced a winning or effective franchise during his tenure as ownership.

Bad decisions (mostly) at GM, (Mostly Rookie, Mostly D-Co) Head Coaches and bust QB for over 20 years now have made this franchise the butt of jokes, as bad or worse than anything that came under the inept Hess Era.

168-219 is nothing to hang a hat on.

But it's really a tale of two halves, 2000-2010 and 2011-2023.

2000-2010 was perhaps the best era in Jets history.  91-85 record, 8 winning seasons out of 11 years, 6 playoff seasons incld. two AFCCG's in 11 years.  No other era of Jets football matches this level of mostly consistent winning.

2011-2023 is the exact reverse, the worst era in our history.  77-134 record, 1 measly winning season in 13 years, no playoff appearances in 13 years.  Double-digit loss seasons 9 of 13 years.  No other era of Jets football matches this level of pathetic results.

It's a dark look forward at this point, a franchise moving backwards and stuck in a VERY long rut of failure and ineptitude, with little to be optimistic about long term, and really only a few things that inspire even in the short term as of today.

But I don't buy into the "can never win as along as he's Owner", because we did, in fact, win quite a bit while he was Owner, early on.

But Woody has to learn, and make better decisions, and hire the right people.  And it's hard to be optimistic that he will do that.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

37 minutes ago, Tezza said:

We can only hope a hero can save us ...... 

Potential future hero 🙃

6 Garage Sale Flipping Strategies to Make Extra Money

Gary Vee?  I'm not so sure he'd be a hero.  I heard him interviewed a year or two ago and he said he'd give both JD and Saleh 10 year contracts because he was confident they were both the right men for their jobs.

While I still feel confident about JD (though I wouldn't want him to have a 10 year deal), I'd be sick to my stomach if we had Saleh on a 10 year deal.

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Woody gave the go-ahead to obtain Rodgers and opened up his wallet for the Jets to bring in Tyron Smith, Mike Williams, etc.

I don’t really understand what people want in an owner. He spends on players and this current Jets team is the most talented in decades, maybe ever. My biggest problem with Woody is that he refuses to go after a proven, big fish HC every cycle.

Maybe those HC simply don't want to come here? Because they know the ownership will react to media pressure and override them, rather than allowing them the time and space to use their (far superior) football knowledge to work?

If spending money was all it took the Jets would have won it all years ago. The day JD was hired, I prayed when Woody got back from England that he'd let a GM do everything themselves for once in his miserable life. JD came from an organization that knows how to build and operate a football team.

Hasn't happened. Right on down to Wilson and AR8, management decisions, firing Lafleur, everything REEKS of Woody just like it always has. Sometimes, bad hires happen, but even when the Jets make good hires (rare) Woody gets a feeling on the breeze from the horrid NY media that he must personally involve himself to improve things, and they go in the opposite direction.

I can't speak for everyone here, but what do I, personally, want from Woody? For him to F*CK OFF 😂 

In an ideal world, Woody spends a few years too comatose to mess with the team but too alive to relinquish control. If that can coincide with a half decent hire to replace JD, maybe we can all have hope for once.

47 minutes ago, toonman 88 said:

i have to laugh at all the people bashing woody, he has been way more successful in life than any of them considering what hes worth!!!

Guys, We found woodys burner forum account!!

Woody we are begging you, please pull your head out of your trust fund pampered ass and never talk about or attempt to manage the franchise again. Just appoint someone and enjoy your money! We will all love you, it will be your first self earned accomplishment as a human!!!1!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bicketybam said:

This is why I visit this forum every day! I never want to miss one of these new and unique thoughts! 

I digress. Some people need to have this stuff spoon fed into their smooth brains. 

@Fantasy Island this is for you. I wish you all the best on your search for a ******* clue.

Screenshot_20240328-192101_Chrome.jpg

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1