Joe Douglas pre draft Press conference

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

or it could be a reverse ploy... they know that he knows that he is not taking bowers because he knows that they dont know he really wants bowers and they dont know what he knows they know

So the old switcharoo

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

or it could be a reverse ploy... they know that he knows that he is not taking bowers because he knows that they dont know he really wants bowers and they dont know what he knows they know

Double bluff.

Look, you know nothing about intelligence work.

It's an XK Red technique.

image.png

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Not taking bowers. 

I agree.  Another thing that I picked up on is when Joe Douglas was talking about the receivers they have on their roster that they are excited about, he failed to even mention Lazard.  He said Williams, Wilson, X (Xavier), and Brownlee, but left out Lazard.

I think JD would love to trade him, but the Jets are stuck with him, for at least 1 more season.  Hopefully, Rodgers can bring out the best in him.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

AVT will go down as another ridiculous unresearched draft pick if his option is not extended.  Who wants to give a 5th year option to a G?

2021 was another crappy draft, but JD could have picked Christian Darrishaw, and not given up 3rd round picks to trade up. 

Eh. AVT looks like he wants to be here. Bad luck. Always in the facility. He’s a leader which I think gives him a lot more equity than the other actual busts. I think he’ll have a good year.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alka said:

I agree.  Another thing that I picked up on is when Joe Douglas was talking about the receivers they have on their roster that they are excited about, he failed to even mention Lazard.  He said Williams, Wilson, X (Xavier), and Brownlee, but left out Lazard.

I think JD would love to trade him, but the Jets are stuck with him, for at least 1 more season.  Hopefully, Rodgers can bring out the best in him.

Lazard is effectively in a contract year. If he’s not motivated to get the most out of himself now, he’ll never be. Personally, I think he’ll have a nice little bounce back season working with Rodgers primarily out of the slot. I don’t think it’ll be anything huge, though, as I expect to see him platooning the slot with Gipson. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Lazard is effectively in a contract year. If he’s not motivated to get the most out of himself now, he’ll never be. Personally, I think he’ll have a nice little bounce back season working with Rodgers primarily out of the slot. I don’t think it’ll be anything huge, though, as I expect to see him platooning the slot with Gipson. 

Again, we agree.  Lazard is a guy that needs Rodgers to be successful, and Rodgers is smart enough to know how to make that happen.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, extmenace said:

Just watched, there was too much talk about “The TE”. Little to no mention about WRers. JD is definitely trying to get a team that is hot for bowers to either trade with them or to move in front of them so he can draft the player he actually wants. Prior to this presser, I was starting to accept that bowers was a real possibility…but now, I don’t think he’s the target. 

Or is he using the reverse Vulcan mind meld to get the other GM's thinking that he isn't thinking TE because he really is thinking TE...

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

"Green Bay has no leverage they will be lucky if we give them a 4th rounder!"

SNORT! LOL!

JD never said that so it’s kind of irrelevant what fans thought it would take.

If we gave up the 2 second rounders for 1 year, we should all be pissed.

But Rodgers says he wants to play 3 and agreed to take a $35M pay cut.  Important after the fact considerations, no?  (Yes!)

Even if he’s just an average QB, he’s an enormous upgrade if he can stay healthy.  Plus he brings some accountability and leadership traits Saleh hasn’t exactly shown.  

If he cannot stay healthy, then the trade in retrospect was a very bad one (obviously).  The Jets bet that he would be motivated to stay in shape and bring a chip on his shoulder.  He seems to have done that.  I’m no doctor so I’ll let others comment on the elevated percentage risk a 39 year old QB had over say a 30 year old QB to rupture his Achilles.  Seems like logically it would make sense for there to be higher risk but let’s not pretend that the risk is 500% higher.

8 hours ago, Barton said:

Dude just get rid of Zach. He’s taking up cap space. 

As well as a roster spot and precious O2 inside 1JD

Jets need a roster exemption and more plants in the building 

I could have saved Woody a decent amount of money.

He could have called me 3 years ago and I would have told him for free that ZW was the football equivalent of bubonic plague 😂

Instead he opted to pay clueless Rex Hogan millions of dollars to lie to him about ZW being a franchise QB 🤷‍♂️

All jokes aside...

-This was a complete non-story, zero new info, pre-draft presser we see every year from GMs.

-Nonetheless, good stuff from JD.

-Not sure why this convinces anyone one way or another on our upcoming draft selection plans or if we will trade out of 10. If anything, maybe, just maybe JD was leaning towards moving down and drafting an o-lineman, the most boring move imaginable. Not taking Bowers. 

-Love the QB factory comment but many GMs and coaches have said that before. Easier said than done. 

-Clearly no takers for Zach. But we all knew that already. 

One takeaway I did have from his presence at the podium was that this is a big deal. He has to nail this draft. He did not have the same confident, almost cocky air about him that we saw in previous years. Which, to me, is good. He needs to feel like he is on the hot seat and get this right.  

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Absent a trade partner, getting rid of him (i.e. cutting him) takes up more cap space than keeping him.

So yes get rid of him, but that's not the reason.

+1. Get rid of him anyways. I dont want to see his face. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Love the QB factory comment but many GMs and coaches have said that before. Easier said than done. 

I loved this part too but the biggest thing you need for this to actually happen is good offensive coaches, which we don’t have.

This is particularly important with developing the mid to late round guys.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barton said:

+1. Get rid of him anyways. I dont want to see his face. 

No one does.

At this point still in April there’s nothing in it for the team to cut him yet, holding onto whatever hope there is to get someone to offer to take on even a minimum base salary amount of his ~$5MM still remaining due, in exchange for a nominal draft pick or even another forgettable player.

My guess is the same as most - that they’ll take a day 3 QB - but until then, on paper they may as well wait this out a bit longer just because there’s nothing to lose by doing so.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I loved this part too but the biggest thing you need for this to actually happen is good offensive coaches, which we don’t have.

This is particularly important with developing the mid to late round guys.

On top of that, an owner & GM that don’t stack the deck to get your 21 yo rookie Qb to be your Day 1 starter. Still pissed they rushed the kid… who knows what 1-2 years on the sideline could have changed the trajectory of his career.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

On top of that, an owner & GM that don’t stack the deck to get your 21 yo rookie Qb to be your Day 1 starter. Still pissed they rushed the kid… who knows what 1-2 years on the sideline could have changed the trajectory of his career.

I really wanted him to sit for a full year and maybe more. I thought we should have kept tried to trade for Garropolo or get a decent vet to set the offense. Hell, if we started Mike White for 2 years and let Wilson learns…like you said who knows what Wilson could have been, plus we definitely make the playoffs in 2022 and maybe even 2023.

• Upvote 1