Poll: If you could go back in time, would you want the Jets to make the Aaron Rodgers trade?

Poll: If you could go back in time, would you want the Jets to make the Aaron Rodgers trade?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: If you could go back in time, would you want the Jets to make the Aaron Rodgers trade?

• Yes, I would still want the Jets to trade for Aaron Rodgers
    • No, I would NOT want the Jets to trade for Aaron Rodgers

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 08/31/2024 at 06:01 PM

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We were.  But there's always one person who takes things too far.  Stroud?!?!  lol

I STAND BY WHAT I SAID.  If you told me I can go back and do whatever I want.....you bet your sweet, savory bottom it's Stroud.  Let me have this...

Just now, bonkertons said:

I STAND BY WHAT I SAID.  If you told me I can go back and do whatever I want.....you bet your sweet, savory bottom it's Stroud.  Let me have this...

NEVER!!!  This aggression will not stand!

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Of course not.

It was a terrible trade when they made it and obviously much worse now.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyLV said:

God no. I was vehemently against it at the time and even more so now. One of the dumbest trades in NFL history

I remember back when you guys were staunch supporters of the Jets’ starting QB. Even seemed to root for the team some. We can only hope Rodgers lives up to your high standards at the position. 

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

A nice telling issue on this happened about a month ago.   It was in a lets go! Rodgers is healthy! We are going to rock!  thread.

I posted these stats:

69% completion rate

3900 yards

25 tds

8 ints

98 QB rating.

The big Rodgers fans were all giving thumbs up and massive approval about my QB projections all highly  approving of such a great year to come.

Those stats?  Derrick Carr last year.

I haven't seen that thread and I'm glad I haven't. I liked Derek Carr going into his FA (I liked and still like Rodgers more). Did you watch many of the games where those stats were produced? I honestly didn't but as I look through end of year stats and metrics, I'm coming away more confident in my hunch that a lot of those stats were the result of game script/stat padding.

• His passing splits in the second half or when tied or trailing are stronger and more voluminous than in the first half or when leading. That could be good or bad, but looking at the final results (only won 9 games in easily the worst division in the sport) indicates more garbage time stats than game altering stats. 
  • Even after regression, the defense was still a top 1/3rd scoring defense in the league so can't really blame that side of the ball too much.

24 minutes ago, slats said:

I remember back when you guys were staunch supporters of the Jets’ starting QB. Even seemed to root for the team some. We can only hope Rodgers lives up to your high standards at the position. 

Supporting Rodgers and supporting the trade are two completely different things

• Post of the Week 1

21 hours ago, rangerous said:

i think they could've done just as well by bringing in a vet and still keep zach on the bench.  it's hard to gage how much influence rodgers had on zach though.  zach played way better this past season and if the oline could pass protect and receivers hold onto balls things might have looked different.  i think bringing in rodgers also led to signing cook since the hopes were so high.  lazard?  hackett?  i know the conspiracy theory is these guys were brought in because of rodgers  but at the same time milfy had to go and they did need a new oc and wr.  and the draft pick they lost last year could've been used on oline or a wr.  so a lot of things were set in motion by trading for rodgers and not all of it panned out.

Is this serious?  Zach played better last year?   With what they got for Zach, I would think the bigger mistake was holding on to him for another year.  With a full year left before a team had to decide on the 5th year option and only having been an abject failure with one OC, you'd think they might have seen a return more similar to the 4th the Cowboys gave up for Trey Lance and more importantly could have gotten out completely from under the contract.

I probably would still do the deal for Rodgers, but I think they got kind of jobbed on the process.  I would have tried to force the Packers hand sooner so that the compensation could be less and we still had other options and having moved Zach I probably would have brought in a more viable low tier FA option - say Minshew.  A big part of making the deal to me is the contract.  Initially, I thought it was crippling, then Rodgers pushed the money around to make it palatable.  Now it seems pretty heavy again and I have not exactly kept track.  None of that had to do with the Packers, so **** them and I'd have tried to keep their feet to the fire to get him for less.  They were stuck and couldn't pay him, so I don't see why we bent over quite that far.

FWIW, I thought he would be halfway decent on the field and completely **** the team off of it.  In reality, he has seemed to be a pretty good teammate and has not even been on the field.  For all his crazy, he generally says the right thing about the team.  Shocking.

• Upvote 1

Say we didn't and we went in to last season with Zach as the starting QB and had the exact season we did, because that's essentially what happened.  Would you given up a 2024 second round pick for AR this year assuming with GB he suffered the Achilles in game 1 with Green Bay?  We would have ended up with the same draft of course.

Although would we have signed Kirk Cousins?  Drafted JJ McCarthy?  

I think if we would have made the trade this year, and ended up with this draft and had the same Free Agency we did this year the level of excitement would have been off the charts just like it would have been this year.

It's funny because even though I feel like the team is much better set up for success than last year, it's hard to generate the same level of excitement that I had going in to last year.  Just knowing that "if something can go wrong it will go wrong for the Jets".

Yes, I still think the trade is going to end up paying off this year IF things break our way.  If the offense stays healthy and the OL doesn't completely break down I think our offense is going to be top half of the league.  And a second round pick is certainly worth it if we even just get ONE season of "real" QB play out of it.  Something the Jets haven't seen in a long long long time.

9 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Say we didn't and we went in to last season with Zach as the starting QB and had the exact season we did, because that's essentially what happened.  Would you given up a 2024 second round pick for AR this year assuming with GB he suffered the Achilles in game 1 with Green Bay?  We would have ended up with the same draft of course.

Although would we have signed Kirk Cousins?  Drafted JJ McCarthy?  

I think if we would have made the trade this year, and ended up with this draft and had the same Free Agency we did this year the level of excitement would have been off the charts just like it would have been this year.

It's funny because even though I feel like the team is much better set up for success than last year, it's hard to generate the same level of excitement that I had going in to last year.  Just knowing that "if something can go wrong it will go wrong for the Jets".

Yes, I still think the trade is going to end up paying off this year IF things break our way.  If the offense stays healthy and the OL doesn't completely break down I think our offense is going to be top half of the league.  And a second round pick is certainly worth it if we even just get ONE season of "real" QB play out of it.  Something the Jets haven't seen in a long long long time.

Could you imagine if we drafted McCarthy?  The guy who looks like Zach and made a Pro Day throw just like Zach's.

2 hours ago, peebag said:

So what's the best scenario AR8 gives us this year?  A wildcard game? 

Then next year?

Hey, you gotta get in the dance to win it all. I don't like the Rodgers trade but for literally 1 playoff win I will at least call it even; if not a win. It's sad that that's where this franchise is at, but getting the team back on a winning trajectory and in with a chance is hard to put a price on.

Now, I still said no to the poll because I feel we could have accomplished that in other, less costly ways. Not to mention I'm not as confident in Rodgers as others here. But seriously, if this team can make a pair of divisional rounds In a row with Rodgers and give the fans a reason to live/ the star players a reason to have faith and sign extensions, I will say I'm glad we paid the price for hope lol

A surprising number of low seed teams have made and won superbowls. Even if this isn't the best roster in the league it can just take a couple lucky turnovers, calls or missed tackles. Let's just hope the confidence in Rodgers to get us in the playoffs isn't misplaced

Voted no.  I also am not on team Carr although I wouldn't have minded cousins as a short-term option this year for no draft capital as a short term fix.  I think the Jets played themselves and gave up too much in the trade.  I also dislike hearing about Rodgers nut job views on things outside football.  I always prefer drafting our own QB and having them build towards a sustainable winning team rather than 1–2-year rental.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Lets Go Eating GIF by BYU Cougars

I'm still praying that he fully recovers from that massive hit that not only knocked enough water out of him that he became dehydrated, it also consussed him to the point that he was packing up his stuffed toys and sending them back to Utah.

#PrayersForSlappy 🙏 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Outside of a parallel universe where Zach Wilson hits or we trade the farm for CJ Stroud, Rodgers coming to the Jets was the best-case scenario in this simulation. His being here is elevating the Jets into conversations where they would otherwise NOT be in right now. It was a relatively low-cost move (no second-round pick is going to have the impact that Rodgers can have) and he took a massive pay cut to be here.

The injury was obviously a nightmare that nobody saw coming but if he comes back and leads the team to the playoffs this season, it'll be as if the injury never happened. The team around him is now loaded, thanks large in part to his pay cut, and if Rodgers is 50% of his normal self... the Jets aren't just going to be good, they could have one of the best seasons in Jets history. Yeah... sign me up for that.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Jetpain said:

Yes, just not at the compensation we paid. 

What always makes me laugh about this is that half this board was screaming at JD to trade up in the 1st round this year for unproven talent which would have cost likely the same amount of draft capital, if not more, than our trade with Rodgers did.

For the record, I voted "No".

Sure, it was exciting, it's exciting now too.  And Rodgers can prove all the doubters wrong by staying healthy and winning a Super Bowl this year.  It's on Rodgers and his performance, not us fans, to validate and defend the trade and it's costs.

Sorry, but a middling 9-7 type record in 2024 with a first round out in the postseason, IMO, doesn't make the trade valid or worthwhile.  

But I didn't support the trade before it was made, and don't think it was our best move now 1 year in.

I sure got excited though once we had him.  Made myself look silly, actually, by buying the hype so much for a brief moment.  Not doing that again.  Show me, don't tell me.

Suffice it to say, the Jets have made very few moves at the QB position that I would have made.  Zach (nope), Darnold trade up and pick (nope), Geno Smith (nope), Rodgers trade (nope), etc.

In most cases I preferred other QB's in the various draft, or supported pursuing other QB's in Free Agency.  I maintain that if I had been GM, I'd have had Firty back and in camp on time for 2016, who knows if we'd have been better then injuries killed us.  I'd have probably brought Fitzy back for 2017 too.  I'd have got us (no matter the cost) Kirk Cousins as our QB the last several years (from 2018, the time he left DC, till now). 

And my drafts would have been lower tier guys, not the top tier guys (meaning better rosters overall for Fitzy and Cousins to lead), with a much higher focus on Offensive playmakers.  Our drafts would have looked very, VERY different (no McDonald, and yes JSN at WR, as one obv. example).

Would we have been better off?  I think so, at least every year up till now.  I certainly don't think we'd be sitting at 12+ years without a playoff berth.  But ultimately, we can't replay it, it is what it is.  

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I'm still praying that he fully recovers from that massive hit that not only knocked enough water out of him that he became dehydrated, it also consussed him to the point that he was packing up his stuffed toys and sending them back to Utah.

#PrayersForSlappy 🙏 

Lets Go Eating GIF by BYU Cougars

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Zach was miles above where he was in 2022.  I don’t think he put more than a couple of passes in the dirt when throwing to a rb on a screen or out of the backfield.

Series 2 Limbo GIF by BBC Three

2 hours ago, SpartanJet said:

Voted no.  I also am not on team Carr

They could have just signed baker Mayfield for peanuts 

The people who say "omg what else could they have done?" lack imagination 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

superhero flying GIF by South Park

At the time someone asked me what else they could have done and I recommended baker plus dtr (Thompson Robinson) on day 3

There's always an alternative it's Jets marketing that would have us believe they have no choice on all these awful moves 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

At the time someone asked me what else they could have done and I recommended baker plus dtr (Thompson Robinson) on day 3

There's always an alternative it's Jets marketing that would have us believe they have no choice on all these awful moves 

You really did?  You and Joe Benigno then.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You really did?  You and Joe Benigno then.  

The important part of my plan was to trade Zach wilson by any means necessary before the season 

The people who run the NY Jets have a hard time with the concept of sunk cost