Time to be Concerned About Haason Reddick Hold Out?

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're making it sound like they took a loss by trading him, which isn't the case. That $21MM would hit on top of any new money they would've paid him.

They paid him $31.5MM but only $11.5MM came off the cap because they pushed it off to the future (like teams often do with their high-paid players). This is what that looks like. 

If they paid him another $14.5MM, then they'd have $35MM more hitting their cap. 

What's as likely as anything is Huff had a strong game against the Eagles and it made an impression upon them. Happens a lot. Happened to the Jets with Tebow, too (that's not to say I think Huff is a scrub QB who throws like he's tossing a shot put).

That, plus he's younger and they are more comfortable pushing his hits off to 3-4 years from now than they are with Reddick. As it is they're slated to have only ~$10MM (before moving things around) next year, and the only way to lessen Reddick's '24 cap hit would be with an extension (since he wants one, they're not going to get him to simply restructure for his final contract year).

Sometimes swapping players can be the right move for both teams. Remains to be seen if it will be for either or both in this instance. 

Truth is they shouldn't offer Reddick an extension yet -- see how much McDonald has grown first imo. So I expect Douglas to lock up Reddick for four seasons right before these guys start hitting hard in practice late next month, lol. 

Gotcha. Just seems like the contract is something you’d want sorted out before you agreed to the deal. I think most teams arrange a negotiation window with the player to find out what they want in the next deal before closing on a trade, and it looks like Douglas didn’t do any of that, or he made the trade with the idea that he was just going to tell Reddick to pound sand, which seems weird 

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t get the sense that the Jets did a comprehensive apples to apples comparison of Huff vs Reddick long term. Could be wrong, but I don’t know. But the Jets seem to do a lot of things without thinking them through. 

Nonzero chance Douglas did it because he knew he was going to take a lot of heat for not re-signing Huff earlier in the season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

are people actually worried this guy isn't going to play come September or something? 

Not really. But you’d hope the Jets would have had this sorted out prior to giving up assets. These guys get big money to nip this stuff in the bud beforehand. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Nonzero chance Douglas did it because he knew he was going to take a lot of heat for not re-signing Huff earlier in the season. 

It’s odd. Let Huff walk. Ok you’re giving the reigns to McDonald. But then you turn around trade for Reddick who wants a new deal.  Do you think the Jets want to pay Redick? Was this even discussed? Or was it a fingers crossed let’s hope he tries hard this year?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas had no shot of resigning Huff earlier in the season. He was headed to FA come hell or high water.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Douglas had no shot of resigning Huff earlier in the season. He was headed to FA come hell or high water.

Agree with this.

Huff never talked like a guy who wanted to stay with the Jets, he seemed like he had his heart set on hitting free agency, with all of his "I'm not giving any hometown discount" talk.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  I think Reddick and McDonald both have to falter for Douglas to look dumb.  Didn't McDonald have an almost identical pressure percentage to Huff? 

I suppose. McDonald breaking out would definitely mitigate Reddick doing bad, but Huff excelling at all around defense would look bad no matter what lol. The Jets bet against him progressing further.

Reddick also cost us a future 3rd, which represents a potential future starter. It's not a crazy cost as long as Reddick produces this year, though. 

10 hours ago, THE BARON said:

does anyone actually like golf ??? i dont get it.  why ??? explain it to me ??? why do you like/love golf ??? 

If you haven't played or are maybe feeling slightly self-conscious about learning, try playing in a golf outing first. Most are a scramble format so you take a lot of the stress off your individual performance and play as a 4 person team.

Not to mention it's like going for a 4.5 hour hike with beer, bud, and your 3 buddies. Oo and driving a golf cart is fun lol

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

If you haven't played or are maybe feeling slightly self-conscious about learning, try playing in a golf outing first. Most are a scramble format so you take a lot of the stress off your individual performance and play as a 4 person team.

Not to mention it's like going for a 4.5 hour hike with beer, bud, and your 3 buddies. Oo and driving a golf cart is fun lol

You’re a TM guy, aren’t you?

• Upvote 1

Do we 'need' Reddick .. can we just sign a cheaper albeit not as talented guy like Simmons and still dominate ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

We currently have two first round draft picks at DE, so "need" isn't a word I'd use. Would benefit from the rotation and experience, sure, but the wheels don't fall off if he sits out.

WMD will get a lot more reps in camp as a result. Not a bad thing.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You're making it sound like they took a loss by trading him, which isn't the case. That $21MM would hit on top of any new money they would've paid him.

They paid him $31.5MM but only $11.5MM came off the cap because they pushed it off to the future (like teams often do with their high-paid players). This is what that looks like. 

If they paid him another $14.5MM, then they'd have $35MM more hitting their cap. 

What's as likely as anything is Huff had a strong game against the Eagles and it made an impression upon them. Happens a lot. Happened to the Jets with Tebow, too (that's not to say I think Huff is a scrub QB who throws like he's tossing a shot put).

That, plus he's younger and they are more comfortable pushing his hits off to 3-4 years from now than they are with Reddick. As it is they're slated to have only ~$10MM (before moving things around) next year, and the only way to lessen Reddick's '24 cap hit would be with an extension (since he wants one, they're not going to get him to simply restructure for his final contract year).

Sometimes swapping players can be the right move for both teams. Remains to be seen if it will be for either or both in this instance. 

Truth is they shouldn't offer Reddick an extension yet -- see how much McDonald has grown first imo. So I expect Douglas to lock up Reddick for four seasons right before these guys start hitting hard in practice late next month, lol. 

I was reading the other day, the only 30+ year old JD has extended was Ryan Griffin, which back fired enormously on him.  He's also pretty much 0 for on the FA market sans DJ Reed.  Wonder how much of that is factoring into not extending him?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

I was reading the other day, the only 30+ year old JD has extended was Ryan Griffin, which back fired enormously on him.  He's also pretty much 0 for on the FA market sans DJ Reed.  Wonder how much of that is factoring into not extending him?

Well, if he is still batting 0 for on the FA market after signing Smith, Simpson and Williams it is not going to matter much, is it? 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, sciond said:

Shelve him for the season...

Let him waste a prime year....

He will be free then to do anything but football

it would be neat if the Jets traded a 3rd round pick just to teach him a lesson or something

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

The reporting after the trade was that the Jets plan to sign Reddick to an extension.  It's not entirely clear whether this was speculation or based on real info.

I think a deal gets done before the start of the season.  Perhaps a hold out into TC does happen.  Something like a 1 year extension to get him to 2 years, $30m with $22m guaranteed makes sense for both sides.

6 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The reporting after the trade was that the Jets plan to sign Reddick to an extension.  It's not entirely clear whether this was speculation or based on real info.

I think a deal gets done before the start of the season.  Perhaps a hold out into TC does happen.  Something like a 1 year extension to get him to 2 years, $30m with $20m guaranteed makes sense for both sides.

I think this makes sense, and I was thinking very close to what you were.  However, Huff got a 3 year 51.1M deal, so I think that Reddick wants something similar to that.  That comes to $17M per season.  

12 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think this makes sense, and I was thinking very close to what you were.  However, Huff got a 3 year 51.1M deal, so I think that Reddick wants something similar to that.  That comes to $17M per season.  

"Reportedly", Reddick's issue was having no guaranteed money in his contract for this year - not how much his annual salary was.

Again, that's what's been widely reported - how accurate that really is, is anyone's guess.

• Upvote 2

I recall Joe Douglas talking about Huff....he said "sometimes a players bets on himself, and wins". I guess that means Huff declined the Jets' best offer, road out the season, and 'won'.

Reddick holding out is simply meant to prep the Jets loyal fan base for our next off-season:

NY Post: 'NY Jets big 5 are no-shows to first mandatory OTA of the 2025 season. Sauce Gardner, Garrett Wilson, Jermain Johnson, Breece Hall, and Vera-Tucker were all no-shows today. Gardner and Super Bowl MVP Garrett Wilson are dueling to become the highest paid non-QB in NFL history, while AVT and Hall are entering the final year of their rookie deals. Jermain Johnson is coming off the best season of his career and led the NFL in sacks. Joe Douglas is looking for $200 million in new cap space to re-sign the team's core superstars. Jets fans have become used to these high-stake games of Texas Hold'em after dealing with the Reddick hold out the previous season'

See? It could be a whole lot worse than our #3 pass rusher holding out for a new bag! 😎

4 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Or he could just be he was disinterested in extending him from the start. He wanted another edge rusher for the season, Reddick has a year left at not too much, and a year later if he lets him go to FA he can more or less recoup the same pick he surrendered for Reddick in the first place.

If so, it's a roundabout way of signing a star edge like Reddick as a 30 year FA for 1 yr $14.5MM, which he could never get if Reddick could shop himself around, so I'd be rightly impressed if this is the case & he pulls it off. Even more so if what follows is McDonald balling out this year, making a major Reddick extension unnecessary anyway. 

I don't know if this is what his plan was, but the lack of an extension after 2+ months (and counting) makes it more likely than the day/week he was acquired. In the meantime I sympathize with Reddick not showing up while his season isn't guaranteed, and getting him into camp next month might become as simple as guaranteeing his 2024 season at that time.

Without any knowledge of their conversations, I'm just speculating all around.

Griffin was earlier in his tenure as GM, when he only seemed to extend guys when they were at their best leverage positions after 2-3 game career-best tears, as though anyone expected that to be the players' baselines going forward. Did the same with JFM (though he was under 30, of course).

He did also bring in Quincy Williams off waivers, and then benefitted from the rare occurrence of signing him to a 3-year extension only to see the player get far better after getting paid. He'd get a boatload more than $6MM/year a season later. 

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

are people actually worried this guy isn't going to play come September or something? 

There were so many "I guarantee that [insert perceived Jets offseason screwup]" I lost track, from predictions they're keeping Zach Wilson for another season, or releasing him because no one in the NFL would give up any pick for him, to being trapped into re-signing Becton at an overpriced amount, to who can even remember all of them.

Reddick isn't with them because he's trying to exert what leverage he has. I get that. He's also not been on the field with them because his upcoming season has no guarantees - it doesn't guarantee until he's on the week 1 roster iirc - and I get that as well.

It's June 11th ffs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t get the sense that the Jets did a comprehensive apples to apples comparison of Huff vs Reddick long term. Could be wrong, but I don’t know. But the Jets seem to do a lot of things without thinking them through. 

you most definitely are wrong, but that's because you have blind spots when it comes to management and ownership.

1) first, Huff wasn't going to sign here, most people who follow the Jets closely know he wanted a full time gig.

2) second, assuming they didn't both to think about the contract situation is pretty silly.  your claim makes no sense

3) and if you spent more than a minute thinking about the situation you would agree the Jets are in a fine place.  

If they sign him to a 2 year deal at a reasonable price then they win.   If they make him play out this year they win (even if they have to guarantee the 14MM).  When he leaves they get a comp pick which is close to what they would give up to the Eagles.  The worst case -   If he holds out and doesn't want to play, they will get a comp pick in the draft, which isn't much different than what they would get in a normal situation.  But doubtful that he's going to be willing to sit out the year and not make 14mm.

it was a pretty well contructed trade which most can see if they don't have their anti jets hat on.

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

I think a deal gets done before the start of the season.  Perhaps a hold out into TC does happen.  Something like a 1 year extension to get him to 2 years, $30m with $22m guaranteed makes sense for both sides.

no way he agrees to this deal.  basically tacking on a year at $16MM, with only 8MM guaranteed after this year?  seems too low.

$32MM, $24MM guaranteed.  $16MM a year,  (8MM next year guaranteed).  

15 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

you most definitely are wrong, but that's because you have blind spots when it comes to management and ownership.

1) first, Huff wasn't going to sign here, most people who follow the Jets closely know he wanted a full time gig.

2) second, assuming they didn't both to think about the contract situation is pretty silly.  your claim makes no sense

3) and if you spent more than a minute thinking about the situation you would agree the Jets are in a fine place.  

If they sign him to a 2 year deal at a reasonable price then they win.   If they make him play out this year they win (even if they have to guarantee the 14MM).  When he leaves they get a comp pick which is close to what they would give up to the Eagles.  The worst case -   If he holds out and doesn't want to play, they will get a comp pick in the draft, which isn't much different than what they would get in a normal situation.  But doubtful that he's going to be willing to sit out the year and not make 14mm.

it was a pretty well contructed trade which most can see if they don't have their anti jets hat on.

Blind spots? The Jets have the longest playoff drought in pro sports 

• The Crusher changed the title to Time to be Concerned About Haason Reddick Hold Out?