Can Tyrod Taylor take a team to the SB?

Been thinking about this...

We know Rodgers is a risk (and so is Tyrod really)...but assuming defense balls out and everything falls right with non QB injuries...can Tyrod be Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer?

He was pretty decent for the bills on a way lesser team than this....although that was 8 years ago now, the Chargers were going to make him their QB1 before he got hurt.

what say you? if Rodgers get hurt, is the season over?

I think it’s possible but you’d need a few things to break your way. You probably woundnt win enough games to have homefield so you’d need to have an 09 or 10 like run where the defense dominates on the road. Would probably need other teams to kind of choke and underperform — I think you’d want to avoid the Chiefs somehow too.

• Upvote 3

Tyrod is a limited starter, or a very solid backup.

Could he Hostetler a good team to the Superbowl? It would need to be a very strong team, and they would need to really ride their luck.

Not sure the Jets are quite there yet, but Tyrod could drive this current squad at an acceptable level if needed.

• Upvote 3

If Taylor has to take over early, then *maybe* they sneak into the playoffs. If he takes over with only a few games left in the season (and the Jets in a playoff position) I could see them making some noise. He's definitely talented enough.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He went to the playoffs with the Bills.

The Bills went 9-7 with Taylor missing one start (a Buffalo win.) I don't think 9 wins get us to the playoffs this season.

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think this team is better than the 9-7 Bills team he was on. I also think they play one more game now so 9-7 would be kinda weird.

He's started 15 games in the past 6 years since that playoff appearance. I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on him. 

9 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

He's started 15 games in the past 6 years since that playoff appearance. I wouldn't want to pin my hopes on him. 

I wouldn't expect a TT team to make it to the Superbowl. Once you're in the playoffs a strong defense and running game can go a long way. We made it to 2 AFCCG with Mark Sanchez using that formula.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Worst case scenario where Rodgers becomes unavailable, they’d probably shift toward Todd Downing’s Titans offense that was all power run game and play action, which could actually be pretty sweet with our existing personnel. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed.  We have the big backs now too to make it work.  Plus Tyrod is always a deep ball threat, which will keep defenses honest.  Plus he's a mistake free type of a QB, which is what you want when you're trying to beat teams with a conservative game plan.  With our defense I could see it giving us a shot against most opponents.

Tyrod is one of the best backup QBs in the NFL.

I just looked it up and it’s interesting. Taylor has started 58 games as a pro, his teams are 28-28-1 in those starts, and he’s thrown 65 TDs vs 28 INTs over his career. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

I'll say yes.  It's possible.

Mainly because last year the Jets beat Buffalo, Philly, Houston, and really should have beat KC without some BS officiating.

That was with Zach, an oline in shambles, and not much at WR other than Garrett.  All of that is fixed (hopefully) now.

Nothing is guaranteed of course.  Even with Arod.  Definitely need health and some luck on your side.  But this team is pretty darn good right now.  

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I just looked it up and it’s interesting. Taylor has started 58 games as a pro, his teams are 28-28-1 in those starts, and he’s thrown 65 TDs vs 28 INTs over his career. 

He also has a career passer rating of 88.3 and an injury history that makes Rodgers seem like an iron man. If he has to start a lot of games, his concussion/injury history would worry me.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

We know Rodgers is a risk (and so is Tyrod really)...but assuming defense balls out and everything falls right with non QB injuries...can Tyrod be Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer?

He was pretty decent for the bills on a way lesser team than this....although that was 8 years ago now, the Chargers were going to make him their QB1 before he got hurt.

All depends.

Rodgers is hurt after 4 plays with a season ending injury, yes, I would expect that the season (as a competitive thing) would be over.

Rodgers is hurt mid-year in a minor way and misses 2 games, no, Tyrod can handle that well enough.

If Tyrod has to start most or all of the year, we're not a playoff team IMO.  

And he too is somewhat fragile, so if he starts that much, we'd likely be playing our #3 before too long.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I mean when your nickname is big d1ck nick you can't rule anything out. I don't hear anyone running around calling TT huge rod tyrod.

BDN, yes

Fun Yes GIF by Lilly Singh

11 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Not sure he makes enough to get the whole team tickets but the starting offense he probably can afford. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Worst case scenario where Rodgers becomes unavailable, they’d probably shift toward Todd Downing’s Titans offense that was all power run game and play action, which could actually be pretty sweet with our existing personnel. 

This.

The Eagles won one with Nick Foles and the 49ers made one with Jimmy G., as well as Brock Purdy.  Efficient game management in the passing game and strong defense still has a place in the modern game.  Tyrod has way more in the gas tank, IMO, and his rushing ability gives him an X-Factor that can actually lift a team just enough.  His biggest concern is his ability to stay healthy.

• Upvote 1

NO. Our paper mache team will be lucky to win 8 games with any QB and Tyrod is the ultimate do nothing to lose QB that defensive minded HCs like because they also do nothing to win games.  This is going to be an epicly bad season built on incompetence, impatience and desperation yet none of you see it.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

NO. Our paper mache team will be lucky to win 8 games with any QB and Tyrod is the ultimate do nothing to lose QB that defensive minded HCs like because they also do nothing to win games.  This is going to be an epicly bad season built on incompetence, impatience and desperation yet none of you see it.

lol - Zach is gone. He was a historic bust.  You need to learn to love again.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1