NFL sets a new low

26 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I went to a Yankee game once.  That was about it.  I don't spend money on sports.

If the game isn't on my local channel for some reason then there is always the radio.  

Funny thing about this is that the only way in which I do regularly give the NFL money is I added NFL Network to my Sirius subscription.  It used to be really good.  It's gotten worse but still way ahead of any other channel (I know....low bar).  

ESPN will never see a dime of mine.  Especially when they are fighting with SAS over whether he gets $18M/year or $25M/year.  Are you kidding me?!  

I feel like the market needs another clean startup (like what Barstool tried to be once upon a time I guess).  Just mostly objective and rational sports talk.  Don't indulge the idiot call-ins.  Don't indulge the bloated head personalities.  Just talk about sports.  Is there something out there I'm missing?

• Upvote 2

It won't be now. It won't be 5 years from now. But in the near future, the NFL is going to regret nickel and diming their customers. 

They can't continue down the path of putting watered down games on 5 different platforms and expect people to be enthusiastic about paying these platforms to watch watered down garbage. 

Personally I am already sick of it and switched to IPTV. I refuse to pay an exorbitant amount for sub par product. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Oh like the Jake Asman show.  Begging for money 3 times a day.

More like every 5 minutes... He seems like a nice enough guy - I talked to him for a minute last year at a game during the tailgate... but I can NOT stand to listen to his YT "show". It's so fake. He thinks he's Mike Russo or Colin Cowherd, while talking to an audience of literally hundreds... I LIKE a bunch of the Jets YT guys, actually I consider a few of them friends (Met a bunch last year in person), but the guys that think they're on ESPN or are emulating Media hot take douches are unwatchable.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

He seems like a nice enough guy - I talked to him for a minute last year at a game during the tailgate... but I can NOT stand to listen to his show. Its so fake and crap. He thinks he's Mike Russo or Colin Cowherd, while talking to an audience of literally hundreds...

Did you get his autograph? 😅

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I went to a Yankee game once.  That was about it.  I don't spend money on sports.

If the game isn't on my local channel for some reason then there is always the radio.  

Radio Neon Rated GIF by NEON

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

More like every 5 minutes... He seems like a nice enough guy - I talked to him for a minute last year at a game during the tailgate... but I can NOT stand to listen to his YT "show". It's so fake. He thinks he's Mike Russo or Colin Cowherd, while talking to an audience of literally hundreds... I LIKE a bunch of the Jets YT guys, actually I consider a few of them friends (Met a bunch last year in person), but the guys that think they're on ESPN or are emulating Media hot take douches are unwatchable.

Jake literally worked for ESPN radio. Bitching about guys that are grinding their asses off to provide you with free jets content is ridiculous 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hey guys it's June and it's pretty sunny outside.

+1

If the product isn't worth the cost, don't pay it.  I know I don't for silly sh*t like articles about football lol.

With that said, it's not like any of our own companies/employers give away their products for free either if they could monetize it.  Seems such an odd complaint in a profit-oriented capitalist society like ours to bitch that a company has the naked gall to actually charge for it's product....

9 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

What about the heat advisory? 😉

That's funny! I wish OTAs were THIS week....98deg. Those pussy prima-donnas would probably practice indoors.

I miss the days of Parcells...98deg? Perfect! Double padded practice. Players pucking on the field. A thing of beauty.

I have no issue with anyone charging for their work product.  That's pretty much how our economy works although the internet did flip that around somewhat.  But the NFL traditionally makes their money from ticket sales and TV contracts, and they make a LOT of money that way.  

Then they started mucking around with the draft to make a few more dollars.  Then they started splitting their games up onto multiple platforms to make a few more dollars yet.  Then games in Europe and South America.  All chasing the next dollar while creating a negative experience for the fans who provide all that revenue.  nfl.com is a brand site.  Its value should be evident in its ability to create more interest and excitement around the primary product, the games.  But they even are trying to suck a few more dollars out of that.  Any incremental dollar they get from it probably comes at a cost of several times that in lost exposure to more eyeballs.  It's their decision to make.  I just happen to think its idiotic, verging on brain-dead.  

This falls into my area of expertise.  Measurement strategy.  Companies often measure the wrong thing thinking it makes them look smart.  In this case, measuring the subscriptions and saying "we earned that much more" without taking into account the negative impact those sales may have had on other revenue is a pretty common thing to do.  Typically someone gets comped for doing the one thing and does not get dinged for the other side of the equation.  Overall, the company loses, because individuals are incentivized and compensated in silos.  Corporate America at it's less than finest.  

My anecdotal example.  A long time ago I used to read content on espn.com.  They generated some value from my engagement in terms of ads, and possibly interest in a televised event.  Now I don't even look at the site.  Ever.  Too many other options to get scores, articles, and bad mock drafts that are open.  Maybe they make more from the subscriptions, but I honestly do not know a single person that has ever admitted to paying for an espn subscription.  Not one.  Ever.  But then I also do not know a single person that admits to listening to or caring about anything Steven A Smith says and yet they feel he is worth $18M/year.  So it is possible, no matter how hard to believe, that I am not all-knowing.  Of course my existence as a Jet fan pretty much already established that.

• Upvote 1