Becton locks up starting job with Eagles?

I know a few folks had him out of the league by now after he threw up on day 1 but it appears he won the starting job for an O-line coach that he was "too soft" to play for.

The guy could've handled things better during his time here, but I don't hate the dude and he still has the ability to be dominant if that knee holds up.

• Ugh 2
  • Haha 2

Imo Becton will be a decent player in this league, and can still be worthy of his high draft position.  His first year with us was legitimately impressive, across the board, and it wasn't a fluke, the guy was literally stonewalling elite defenders.  However two backbreaking injuries, combined with rather weak mental led him to a bad contract season.  

I don't think the Jets let him walk b/c of not believing in his ability, but rather b/c they were sick of his bs.  A change of scenery, a less physically demanding position for his impaired mobility and I still think he could thrive. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Hael said:

Imo Becton will be a decent player in this league, and can still be worthy of his high draft position.  His first year with us was legitimately impressive, across the board, and it wasn't a fluke, the guy was literally stonewalling elite defenders.  However two backbreaking injuries, combined with rather weak mental led him to a bad contract season.  

I don't think the Jets let him walk b/c of not believing in his ability, but rather b/c they were sick of his bs.  A change of scenery, a less physically demanding position for his impaired mobility and I still think he could thrive. 

His rookie year he was a mediocre at best player. Gave up lots of sacks and took lots of penalties. Among the most in the league for both.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, BP said:

Part of the problem is the incompetent coaches the Jets have.

They move AVT to another position to accommodate a bum who’s no longer here and sucked. 

They Never give any of their tackles help, whether it’s chipping or TE help. For instance that Dallas game last year lmfao 

im not defending Becton, but the Jets o line coach should have been fired a long time ago. 

The Jets coaching staff consistently gets out coached week in and week out. And whenever the team faces adversity they fail miserably and quit. 

Ill never understand the not giving the OTs help and it happens here all the time.  We lose a starter, bring in a backup who is obviously not as talented and then dont change a thing.  How is that possible?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Hael said:

his rookie season he was a good run blocker and an average pass blocker at best. then we heard how lawson was destroying him in camp, leading us to believe lawson was gonna be some amazing pass rusher. what really happened was that becton sucked. maybe he will be an ok right guard (which is probably the least impactful position on the o-line anyway). he is also soft and will probably just end up injured anyway

And? So becton makes the eagles as a guard.  Did that warrant him getting his fifth year option? He was being paid like a tackle. Did the jets make any offers to him? We’ll see what happens. The jets might’ve been playing him out of position. Whose fault is that? Sure becton claimed he was a left tackle but he wouldn’t be the first player to think they’re good at something when they’re not.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the eagles actually have one of the league's best lines and Jeff Stoutland is about 100x better at his job than Keith Carter

The Eagles problems last year were mostly the defense, which steadily got worse as the season went on.  I'm surprised a little that Becton is winning the RG position. So all the I'm a tackle B.S. was just that.  He chose to give the Jets agita over his position yet now he is, happily it seems, a potential starting RG.    Maybe he grew up a little after seeing his offers around the NFL?  Good for him. I hope he dominates against the Giants.  None of this changes the fact that he was an asshat while he was a Jet and he blew off any attempts by the coaching staff to change.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

And? So becton makes the eagles as a guard.  Did that warrant him getting his fifth year option? He was being paid like a tackle. Did the jets make any offers to him? We’ll see what happens. The jets might’ve been playing him out of position. Whose fault is that? Sure becton claimed he was a left tackle but he wouldn’t be the first player to think they’re good at something when they’re not.

Yeah, I mean Becton crapped out as a LT prospect, couldn’t stay healthy and developed toxic relationship with this Jets admin. I dunno if him latching on as a RG somewhere else really says anything about the Jets one way or another. It certainly wouldn’t have made sense for us to keep him and he’s certainly still a bust.

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm surprised a little that Becton is winning the RG position. 

he's a physical specimen and always has been 

The Ravens are trying to start Faalele at RG, Dickerson is almost 375 at LG it's the new thing to have a mauler at guard 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he's a physical specimen and always has been 

The Ravens are trying to start Faalele at RG, Dickerson is almost 375 at LG it's the new thing to have a mauler at guard 

He’s a specimen all right. If he goes against nose tackles all season there is literally a 100% chance you will at some point see him openly weeping on camera.

• Haha 1