Becton locks up starting job with Eagles?

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he's a physical specimen and always has been 

The Ravens are trying to start Faalele at RG, Dickerson is almost 375 at LG it's the new thing to have a mauler at guard 

Yeah.  Too bad he was a major asshat while he was a Jet.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BP said:

Part of the problem is the incompetent coaches the Jets have.

They move AVT to another position to accommodate a bum who’s no longer here and sucked. 

They Never give any of their tackles help, whether it’s chipping or TE help. For instance that Dallas game last year lmfao 

im not defending Becton, but the Jets o line coach should have been fired a long time ago. 

The Jets coaching staff consistently gets out coached week in and week out. And whenever the team faces adversity they fail miserably and quit. 

It’s the jets coaches fault Zach sucked but any other player it’s their own fault

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

The Eagles problems last year were mostly the defense, which steadily got worse as the season went on.  I'm surprised a little that Becton is winning the RG position. So all the I'm a tackle B.S. was just that.  He chose to give the Jets agita over his position yet now he is, happily it seems, a potential starting RG.    Maybe he grew up a little after seeing his offers around the NFL?  Good for him. I hope he dominates against the Giants.  None of this changes the fact that he was an asshat while he was a Jet and he blew off any attempts by the coaching staff to change.

Don’t think playing on a SB team, on a one year minimum type deal gives you the leverage to complain about your position like the Jets situation and contract situation was. 
His days of making demands are done with.  At least for now

8 hours ago, BradSmith16fan said:

Only LT here, goes to Philly to be RG. Maybe put in ol contracts that if you refuse to play a position on the line you get fined, or is that too extreme?

I think he was a kid who had to be humbled a bit.  He's not the first, won't be the last.

For his sake, I hope he learns from this, has a nice career, and keeps his money so he is set for life.

• Upvote 2

On 8/10/2024 at 3:25 AM, Hael said:

can still be worthy of his high draft position.

Really?  How many right guards have been drafted #11 of the first round of the draft.  Add to the fact that Becton's knee will never be the same as it was before the draft, and i would say that there would be no way he could ever be worthy of his high draft position.  

AVT was drafted #14 of the first round, and who would you rather have on your team right now?  Only an all-pro guard would be worthy of such a high pick, and Becton will never be worthy of that status.

I think that Becton can be a decent right guard if he has his head on straight, and if he really matures.  If drafted today, I think he would be a 4th round talent, at best.

1 minute ago, Alka said:

Really?  How many right guards have been drafted #11 of the first round of the draft.  Add to the fact that Becton's knee will never be the same as it was before the draft, and i would say that there would be no way he could ever be worthy of his high draft position.  

AVT was drafted #14 of the first round, and who would you rather have on your team right now?  Only an all-pro guard would be worthy of such a high pick, and Becton will never be worthy of that status.

I think that Becton can be a decent right guard if he has his head on straight, and if he really matures.  If drafted today, I think he would be a 4th round talent, at best.

In a redraft sure, but if he was coming in the draft from college, he would still go in the 1st round.

23 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

His days of making demands are done with.

No one was beating his door down to sign him when he was a free agent.  I hope he has a good year, and then perhaps he can transition into a middle of the pack right guard.  Hopefully, he can stay under 350 pounds.

• Upvote 1

On 8/10/2024 at 4:26 AM, Prodigal Syndicate said:

His rookie year he was a mediocre at best player. Gave up lots of sacks and took lots of penalties. Among the most in the league for both.

Meh, that's a loaded stat to at least some degree. He was plenty better than "mediocre at best" as a rookie on balance.

Sam Darnold taking stupid sacks isn't automatically pinned on an OLman. Becton surrendered about the same amount of pressure plays as the best tackles in the league. If Darnold had any sense of pocket awareness or feel for pressure, he'd have gotten rid of it on a number of those. Basically 35% of the time he surrendered pressure it ended in a sack. Wirfs surrendered the same amount of pressure plays but Brady didn't stand there and just eat it like he had no brains or instincts. Most of the tackles who gave up 7+ sacks were also giving up 40-60 pressures. There were a couple games where he got welcome-to-the-majors schooled, but the rest of the way he was pretty consistent. On balance, no other tackle that year gave up so few pressures on the year (23) with so many sacks (7).

None of that takes into account the good job he generally did in run blocking, which was easy to overlook without even a semi-serious NFL RB on the roster (making those typical 3rd down passing plays that much more obvious with an extra yard or two to go), all the while starting his career playing next to LG Alex Lewis having a career meltdown of his own, before getting replaced by Pat Elflein and Josh Andrews who were even worse.

Further, he was coached up by Frank Pollack who made his name for himself by ending Tony Romo's career despite inheriting probably the league's best OL with the 3 best of the bunch all in their mid-20s. Since leaving the Jets he's made a career out of getting Burrow IR'd every other season while helping him to his career average of getting sacked 3-4x per game.

All that said, especially for a #11 overall pick when a far better player went just after him at the same position, Becton was a crappy draft pick, a huge mental-mush of a bust for us on balance, and as time progressed even when off the field he made himself a very easy player to dislike. 

• Upvote 2

Imo Becton will be a decent player in this league, and can still be worthy of his high draft position.  His first year with us was legitimately impressive, across the board, and it wasn't a fluke, the guy was literally stonewalling elite defenders.  However two backbreaking injuries, combined with rather weak mental led him to a bad contract season.  
I don't think the Jets let him walk b/c of not believing in his ability, but rather b/c they were sick of his bs.  A change of scenery, a less physically demanding position for his impaired mobility and I still think he could thrive. 

Becton’s rookie season was promising but universally overrated by Jets fans.

He will find work in the NFL because there are a shortage of linemen but he is Vlad Ducasse 2.0 with a bad knee and a fragile mind.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

Issue I had with him Even from pre draft was his size. And it proved to be true bc he had a year he came in out of shape as well as health issues.

The bigger part that rubbed me the wrong way once here was how he had no humility. That it appeared he thought he was a pro bowl LT. But only had about 8 good games to backup that attitude in 4 years. 

The most important component in an offensive linemen is not how far a player

can push a defender or whether he can bury his opponent in the turf, it's how many

defenders he can block on a play.  Gene Upshaw was the best. He could block down

on the DT, kickout the DE, get a piece of the OLB and at times  eliminate a DB.

Becton played lazy quiting 0n his blocks before the play was over. Olu is an energetic blocker

who seeks defenders to block besides the guy lined up in front of him

On 8/10/2024 at 11:32 AM, Bronx said:

I hope that he matures and strives in the league. It is not his fault that JD overdraft him, which seems to be the norm (Z. Wilson and W. McDonald).

W. McDonald?  Think you might be tossing  the baby out with the bath water there pal! 

There was probably a level of entitlement here where he thought he was something that he wasn’t.  He showed everyone that he didn’t think he had to work hard to be a pro player. After sucking here, not getting brought back, sitting in free agency for 6 weeks and eventually only landing a 1 year 3 mill deal,  it might have been the wake up call he needed. I always wondered why we didn’t try to plug him in at guard but supposedly he wasnt having it. Hes only 25 to boot so he def still had / has some maturity issues to contend with. Maybe he needed his cage rattled to figure it out? Maybe he’s still the same guy? Regardless of how things play out for him, he wasn’t a pro here, was lazy, and didnt deserve to be brought back.

On 8/10/2024 at 10:58 AM, Jimmy 2 Times said:

In 45 years of watching football, Becton is the only lineman I've ever seen routinely pull himself for breathers.  

That's just what it looked like.  In reality he was hitting the sidelines for a Big Mac and a Nilla Milkshake.

On 8/10/2024 at 10:49 AM, Dcat said:

Yeah.  Too bad he was a major asshat while he was a Jet.

The Jets are the ones who thought he was worth that pick 

Same with Elijah Moore 

People love to bash the players but jd is throwing darts blindfolded 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/10/2024 at 8:23 AM, neckdemon said:

his rookie season he was a good run blocker and an average pass blocker at best. then we heard how lawson was destroying him in camp, leading us to believe lawson was gonna be some amazing pass rusher. what really happened was that becton sucked. maybe he will be an ok right guard (which is probably the least impactful position on the o-line anyway). he is also soft and will probably just end up injured anyway

right on cue, lol

• Haha 2

On 8/11/2024 at 9:16 PM, Jack Straw said:

Becton’s rookie season was promising but universally overrated by Jets fans.

He will find work in the NFL because there are a shortage of linemen but he is Vlad Ducasse 2.0 with a bad knee and a fragile mind.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ducasse remarkably cashed NFL checks for 9 seasons, as a guard. Teams will give big guys a chance. With his size, Becton probably does much the same. If he didn't waste his rookie contract $, he's set for life. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

THIS IS WHAT YOU GET

IMG_5531.jpeg

Seasons change. But Mehki Becton is  unchanging, as inevitable impending disaster,  in an ever-changing world. Stupid, out of shape, brimming with unearned confidence. And headed to an MRI appointment, and then to the injury list, again. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Eagles are playing him out of position.  His position is the bench.

*trainer’s table

In all seriousness, league is better with more good players - long as they’re not playing the Jets. Becton has a ton of upside, it’s hard to imagine him putting it together. Much as this organization is a disaster, this fan base is so starved for competent play that there’s a tendency to overrate players who flash a little while they’re here.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, derp said:

*trainer’s table

In all seriousness, league is better with more good players - long as they’re not playing the Jets. Becton has a ton of upside, it’s hard to imagine him putting it together. Much as this organization is a disaster, this fan base is so starved for competent play that there’s a tendency to overrate players who flash a little while they’re here.

Yep, every player in the league can flash. It's consistency that makes a player really valuable.

• Upvote 1

Mekhi Becton (right leg) was seen “limping for much of [Eagles] practice” before leaving early.

The report comes from ESPN’s Tim McManus. The fact that Becton was allowed to continue practicing for some time despite the evident limp could indicate the team is managing a known issue but it’s a negative development overall. Becton projects to start in place of injured OG Tyler Steen (ankle) at least in the short term. Becton plays with a brace on his right knee, stemming from a pair of kneecap injuries. He suffered cartilage damage following a 2021 kneecap dislocation. The same kneecap then suffered an avulsion fracture one year later. The issues could provide grounds for routine soreness moving forward but we will monitor the situation for updates.

Related

Tyler Steen

Injury

1h ago

Source: Tim McManus

https://www.nbcsports.com/fantasy/football/player-news?playerNewsId=00000191-6652-dde4-add9-7653bc2b0000

Becton is not going to last the season, book it.

On 8/10/2024 at 2:38 AM, AFJF said:

I know a few folks had him out of the league by now after he threw up on day 1 but it appears he won the starting job for an O-line coach that he was "too soft" to play for.

The guy could've handled things better during his time here, but I don't hate the dude and he still has the ability to be dominant if that knee holds up.

I’m never wrong

20 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Mekhi Becton (right leg) was seen “limping for much of [Eagles] practice” before leaving early.

The report comes from ESPN’s Tim McManus. The fact that Becton was allowed to continue practicing for some time despite the evident limp could indicate the team is managing a known issue but it’s a negative development overall. Becton projects to start in place of injured OG Tyler Steen (ankle) at least in the short term. Becton plays with a brace on his right knee, stemming from a pair of kneecap injuries. He suffered cartilage damage following a 2021 kneecap dislocation. The same kneecap then suffered an avulsion fracture one year later. The issues could provide grounds for routine soreness moving forward but we will monitor the situation for updates.

Related

Tyler Steen

Injury

1h ago

Source: Tim McManus

https://www.nbcsports.com/fantasy/football/player-news?playerNewsId=00000191-6652-dde4-add9-7653bc2b0000

Becton is not going to last the season, book it.

This is such a big part of his problem, even if he’s looking pretty good on the field early on. He “won” starting jobs here in both his 2nd and 3rd seasons here and combined he played half of one game.

Ideally he might be best-suited as a player rotating on & off the field, but that’s not a thing on the OL.

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is such a big part of his problem, even if he’s looking pretty good on the field early on. He “won” starting jobs here in both his 2nd and 3rd seasons here and combined he played half of one game.

Ideally he might be best-suited as a player rotating on & off the field, but that’s not a thing on the OL.

Yup, he might be a good emergency depth guy, that you might squeeze a start or two out of in a pinch, but that's about it.

He has shown more than once, that he can't stand the rigors of a full NFL season.

From Eagles Wire 4 hours ago:

"Mekhi Becton has spent the summer redefining his career. Just days from potentially being named the starting right guard in Philadelphia, the massive offensive lineman exited the Eagles' Sunday practice with a lower leg injury."

It doesn't say that it's serious, but bears monitoring.