Reddick Tomorrow

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

What negativity?  I suspect the players would like Reddick to get paid as much as possible and many probably hate the leverage the teams hold on players.  Don’t be shocked if they welcome him with open arms and see him in a completely different light than you do.  Especially the veterans, many of whom are in the same boat.

The players are typically very good at separating business from play and all share the common belief that they ALL should be paid.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Exactly.

The point is you're clearly taking this personally, and you have every right to do so. 

I am not.  This is a business to them and there's nothing wrong with that.  I am a fan of the NY Jets and want them to field the best team possible. 

A lot of fans are taking it personally, (I'd be willing to bet that the majority of fans are) because they've emotionally invested a lot of years, standing behind this team.

And you have one a$shole, that holds himself above the team, in what I interpret as, an attempt to make himself an unnecessary distraction.

There is no "I" in team as the saying goes.

18 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

The players are typically very good at separating business from play and all share the common belief that they ALL should be paid.

That may be the case, but it's unrealistic to expect the fans to feel the same way.

Most fans expect the players to play - because that's what they're paid (and paid very well) to do.

We don't expect them to kick, whine & cry, about how they're not getting paid enough, when they're multi-millionaires, several times over.

Support your team and play the damn game for Christ's sake.

1 minute ago, ARodJetsFan said:

That may be the case, but it's unrealistic to expect the fans to feel the same way.

Most fans expect the players to play - because that's what they're paid (and paid very well) to do.

If he comes back and plays well, the fans will forget. 

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

A lot of fans are taking it personally, (I'd be willing to bet that the majority of fans are) because they've emotionally invested a lot of years, standing behind this team.

And you have one a$shole, that holds himself above the team, in what I interpret as, an attempt to make himself an unnecessary distraction.

There is no "I" in team as the saying goes.

It’s amazing how fans, generally working class people take the side of billionaire owners every time when it’s about the team they root for.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

We don't expect them to kick, whine & cry, about how they're not getting paid enough, when they're multi-millionaires, several times over.

I get it.  But the thing with this is, I don't think the players care.  They understand the business side.

So yes, apparently a lot of fans do care and do take this personally - and I can understand it.  But in all likelihood he will be welcomed by the team and they'll be happy to have him there.  His hold out won't negatively impact the team.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

As a member of the working class I never understood why people have so much animosity towards billionaires or the rich in general. What did they do to hurt you?

Ever been hired by a poor person?

Jealousy is a wasted emotion 

@The Crusher

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

What negativity?  I suspect the players would like Reddick to get paid as much as possible and many probably hate the leverage the teams hold on players.  Don’t be shocked if they welcome him with open arms and see him in a completely different light than you do.  Especially the veterans, many of whom are in the same boat.

Would typically agree, but this guy has never played a down for this team.  Based in your comment, DJ Reed, and Quincy should both have held out as they are clearly underpaid and have contracts expiring after this year & next.  They have played here for multiple seasons and clearly have outplayed their current contracts, yet they are both here honoring the contract they signed.  A team cant pay everyone.  And Reddick is not part of the future here.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Please lower your voice/font 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

As a member of the working class I never understood why people have so much animosity towards billionaires or the rich in general. What did they do to hurt you?

I thought you were a bitcoin bazillionaire?

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Would typically agree, but this guy has never played a down for this team.  Based in your comment, DJ Reed, and Quincy should both have held out as they are clearly underpaid and have contracts expiring after this year & next.  They have played here for multiple seasons and clearly have outplayed their current contracts, yet they are both here honoring the contract they signed.  A team cant pay everyone.  And Reddick is not part of the future here.

I think they both restructured last year.

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I think they both restructured last year.

I believe DJ contract ends this year and Quincy goes through next year but he only makes about $6 mil.  I did see that Quincy restructured but that is usually accounting and cap creativity, not sure if they saw any larger, renegotiated contract like Reddick is squeezing for.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Biggs said:

It’s amazing how fans, generally working class people take the side of billionaire owners every time when it’s about the team they root for.  

Is it really that surprising? I mean there's so many examples.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

Shows on the Saturday before the first game, knowing he can’t play but requiring the Jets to cut someone (probably a D-lineman who would have been active for this game). So he gets in one last shot to hurt the team before he gets his game check and the rest of the season is guaranteed because he’s on the game one roster. Hard as I’ve tried to stay objective and realize that the NFL is a business, I’m really starting to dislike this guy.

That's not how this works. He's on the roster exempt list. They have two weeks to activate him off that list once he reports

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

Yes, assuming they lose more players than they bring in during FA next offseason (which seems likely but who knows) and also assuming he signs for a qualifying number (I think it's around $20M+).

With 10-11 starters (counting Reddick) and 7 top backups possibly becoming FAs, and with Breece, JJ, Sauce and G. Wilson to extend, I don't see any way in which they won't lose more than they sign.  I don't think they'll be players in FA at all.  They'll want to keep as much of their D together as possible.  5 starters and 8 backups could become FAs: Kinlaw, Reddick, Reed, Clark, Thomas, Echols, Sherwood, Davis, McKinley, and Fotu are UFAs, and Adams and Surratt are RFAs. Quincy also needs to be extended.

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Because they often became billionaires by underpaying their employees, and quite often are selfish, greedy and arrogant.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

11 hours ago, Biggs said:

They've been conditioned to do that by our culture.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

7 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Because they often became billionaires by underpaying their employees, and quite often are selfish, greedy and arrogant.

As a general rule, money corrupts and enormous amounts of money corrupt absolutely. I'm beginning to think some people here have never read any history or biographies of the robber barons and oil tycoons. Our new generation of super wealth is made up of people like Bezos and Musk. Fine people whose motives are of course just and kind... 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

As a general rule, money corrupts and enormous amounts of money corrupt absolutely. I'm beginning to think some people here have never read any history or biographies of the robber barons and oil tycoons. Our new generation of super wealth is made up of people like Bezos and Musk. Fine people whose motives are of course just and kind... 

Peacock who has 10 subscribers gets several million bored people to sign up for 4.99 to watch a Friday night football game.  They tune into the pregame and are subjected to 20 minutes of drug and gambling ads.  20 years ago the bookies and drug dealers who now run these ads and are making billions were going to jail for 20 years.  

Private equity is a beautiful thing.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Personally, I hope he sits out the entire season, loses his entire yearly salary, and the Jets replay it all over again next year.

But, I know better.  Reddick will show up after the game 10 week, and stick it to the Jets for the remaining 7 weeks, so that he can become a free agent next year.

He will not be nearly at his best, and go through the motions.  He will be a cancer.

I don't want to hear about him any more, and wish no one talked about him going forward.

He is overrated as a player.  I remember guys like Klecko, Gastineau, Strahan getting 20 sacks in a year.  Reddick, who averages around 10 sacks a year, is somehow looked upon as a great player.

He is not.  Screw him!  Stay away!  We don't want you!  Please continue to sit out, and never show up!  Thank you!

• Sympathy 1