You are over blaming Hackett

The whole “Hackett is the worst OC ever” is kind of a joke 

let’s start with history. He had success as OC in Buffalo turning them into one of the best running offenses in the NFL. He then did the same thing in Jakcskonville leading a top 5 offense with Blake Bortles and almost getting to a Super Bowl. He was hired “offensive genius” Matt Lefleur solely on merit, and while Hackett didn’t call plays he played a key role in elevating that packers offense into an elite unit. Mike McDaniel didn’t call plays under shanahan either. 

He was a terrible HC in Denver, Nick Saban was a terrible HC. McDaniels in NE was a terrible HC and a great OC. It happens all the time. 

Last year the offense was led by the worst QB room in the NFL, after losing your starter which the offense revolved around in week 1. Still the jets won 7 games and had a decent running attack despite the most OL injuries in the NFL and Breece coming off the ACL.

This year the Jets have played what could be the 5 best defenses in the NFL including a game in a rain storm. The QB hasn’t played in two years. Despite all this they are two plays from being 4-1.

The jets TEs can’t block (hello Rob Middleton), the OL can’t block either (Hello Kieth Carter) and our elite RB has regressed (Hello Tony Dews), and our WR can’t get on the same page as our QB (hello Mr Jefferson). 

It’s easy to get sucked into the Hackett is the worst narrative, but the fact is he is an accomplished OC in the NFL that our HOF QB trusts with his career. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 7
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

It's the lack of creativity in the play calling bruh .. running game consists of two plays ... HB Dive R and HB Dive L.

It's funny that our defense also lacks creativity (though has still been very good).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

I only agree in that I think Hackett is relatively irrelevant. Rodgers calls the plays. He is really the team's OC.

I disagree with this.  I do think he can override whatever he wants but do we really think he's doing that on every play?  Seems like it would be a real chore.  

I do think part of the reason we have a handful of delay of game penalties is that Rodgers has probably been changing plays and can't call them out on time.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

I only agree in that I think Hackett is relatively irrelevant. Rodgers calls the plays. He is really the team's OC.

I don't believe for a second that Rodgers called a running play on 4th and 2, with the RB seven yards behind the line of scrimmage. No way he called that play. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Being miserable and treating offensive coordinators like dirt is every Jets fan's god given right.

Lol, you have to go back a ways to find an OC that people liked.  I think our last good offense was during the Parcells/Vinny years where IIRC Dan Henning was the OC.

53 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

let’s start with history. He had success as OC in Buffalo turning them into one of the best running offenses in the NFL. He then did the same thing in Jakcskonville leading a top 5 offense with Blake Bortles and almost getting to a Super Bowl. He was hired “offensive genius” Matt Lefleur solely on merit, and while Hackett didn’t call plays he played a key role in elevating that packers offense into an elite unit. Mike McDaniel didn’t call plays under shanahan either. 

He was a terrible HC in Denver, Nick Saban was a terrible HC. McDaniels in NE was a terrible HC and a great OC. It happens all the time. 

Last year the offense was led by the worst QB room in the NFL, after losing your starter which the offense revolved around in week 1. Still the jets won 7 games and had a decent running attack despite the most OL injuries in the NFL and Breece coming off the ACL.

This year the Jets have played what could be the 5 best defenses in the NFL including a game in a rain storm. The QB hasn’t played in two years. Despite all this they are two plays from being 4-1.

The jets TEs can’t block (hello Rob Middleton), the OL can’t block either (Hello Kieth Carter) and our elite RB has regressed (Hello Tony Dews), and our WR can’t get on the same page as our QB (hello Mr Jefferson). 

It’s easy to get sucked into the Hackett is the worst narrative, but the fact is he is an accomplished OC in the NFL that our HOF QB trusts with his career. 

Agreed.

When all is said and done - it comes down to the players executing.  The Jets players are not.

It's just far easier for fans to blame coaches than it is to accept the talent isn't as good as we hoped.

1 hour ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

This is a bad take IMO. 

If you have watched the Jets offense under Hackett, you have seen how BAD he is. AT BEST you can definitely say he is NOT GOOD. Why? Because we were one of the worst offenses in the league last year. I don't care who your QB is, I don't care how many injuries you had on the o-line. If you had a decent running game (as you said) and a star like GW and a stacked defense, and you were a GOOD O-coordinator, and a great kicker, you would figure out a way to get the ball into scoring position and get points on the board. Your players would be disciplined. You would have creative play-calling. You would utilize guys to their strengths. You would make guys better and cover up player's weaknesses. We saw none of that with Hackett. Unless Saleh stepped in constantly and changed the plays on offense (which I highly, highly doubt), a lot of the offensive ineptitude last season was on Hack. 

THIS season Hack has no excuses. 

Going back and saying 'well he used to have some good moments' is irrelevant. He stunk last season and he stinks now. And the only reason he wasn't fired and/or demoted last season is because of Rodgers. You can blame everyone else but it starts at the top - when it comes to coaching. Saleh has already been fired and Hack is next in line because clearly, the offense is the issue. It's absurd to me that you are blaming all the position coaching and letting Hack slide. That's the joke here. 

• Upvote 2

Ulrich is one of the top DC's in the league.  He thinks Hackett's O and play calling waranted an immediate change.  I suspect the DC's of both the Bronco's and Vikings weren't impressed by the Jets O when they looked at it on tape. 

Plus HC Hackett thought play caller Hackett sucked when he was at Denver.

• Upvote 4

I do agree the player performance on offense has been a larger issue than just the playcalling.  That’s why Saleh needed to go.  He was in charge of it all.  The position coaches need to be held accountable for not having their players ready and Saleh seemingly was doing nothing about it.  Just hoping they would turn it around week after week.

That being said, Hackett is not a good OC.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed.

When all is said and done - it comes down to the players executing.  The Jets players are not.

It's just far easier for fans to blame coaches than it is to accept the talent isn't as good as we hoped.

Disagree. I think the talent is clearly there. I think so much about execution has to do with coaching. Teams that execute are better prepared, more disciplined, get up for games and have creative play-calling that makes executing plays easier because it puts the defense on its heels, puts your offense on 3rd and short instead of 3rd and long, etc. It's a travesty that it took so long (until the 2nd half of the Vikings game) for the Jets to figure a way to get GW the ball consistently because teams were taking him away. You have to scheme to get the ball to your best player. Duh! This is just one example. He ended up with 13 catches, over 100 yards and a TD in that game because we finally figured out a way to get him the ball consistently. The talent is there.   

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Disagree. I think the talent is clearly there. I think so much about execution has to do with coaching. Teams that execute are better prepared, more disciplined, get up for games and have creative play-calling that makes executing plays easier because it puts the defense on its heels, puts your offense on 3rd and short instead of 3rd and long, etc. It's a travesty that it took so long (until the 2nd half of the Vikings game) for the Jets to figure a way to get GW the ball consistently because teams were taking him away. You have to scheme to get the ball to your best player. Duh! This is just one example. He ended up with 13 catches, over 100 yards and a TD in that game because we finally figured out a way to get him the ball consistently. The talent is there.   

13 / 100+ / 1 TD sounds great, in isolation.

The fact that it needed what, 22 targets to achieve that? That's not so great. Volume of catches does not trump efficiency of catches. You only get so many offensive plays in a game.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I do agree the player performance on offense has been a larger issue than just the playcalling.  That’s why Saleh needed to go.  He was in charge of it all.  The position coaches need to be held accountable for not having their players ready and Saleh seemingly was doing nothing about it.  Just hoping they would turn it around week after week.

I disagree that Saleh did nothing about it.   He would go in front of the cameras and say "we'll get it fixed" and then he'd run the stairs.

2 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Excuses are like assh0les and Zack Wilson. They always stink. 

• Haha 1

As bad of an offensive coordinator we think Hackett is, Saleh was equally as bad as a head coach, whom holds the responsibility of all players and coaches.

Good head coaches hire and/or teach coordinators + position coaches.

Saleh couldn’t recruit or teach any good offensive coaches in his time here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

This is essentially what I am saying. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Agreed.

the post you approve of is flat out insane. The guy is an NFL disaster wherever he goes.  Hackett is awful. Period.  Gives our players little to no chance of success.  Assistant coaches are probably equally awful. Talent is there dude.  Leadership isn't and hasn't been for decades. 

• Upvote 1