The Joe Douglas Era is (speculatively) over

EDIT: SORRY FOR THE THREAD TITLE.  HOPE IT DOESN'T CAUSE UNDUE HARM TO SOME.

So, I have not been one to hide that I have supported what Joe Douglas has done.  Has he been perfect?  Nope.  There were misses in the first and second rounds that were costly.  But Douglas did well at finding talent in the later rounds, and did EXCEPTIONALLY well at UDFA signings.  

He did so-so on bigger ticket F/A, but did a good job at 'plugging holes.'  

But I think his undoing has been in the coaches he has hired.  Saleh was loved by his players and did well on the defense.  But once again, the offense has let this team down, as it has for almost three decades. The hiring of people like Keith Carter and Nathaniel Hackett was (flat out) terrible.

Woody Johnson firing Saleh and getting Reddick in the building shows me that JD's days are numbered.  But in the end, will it matter if Woody is still in charge during the next clean sweep?  Woody's actions these past two weeks, to me, suggest he had a BIG hand in (first off) drafting Zach Wilson and then keeping him here as long as we did.  That is of course something we can argue at length.  But here is the question I pose to Jets Fans:  Now what?

Here are some of the questions I have:

1) The clean sweep after JD and all the coaching staff:  Does this include Aaron Rodgers as well? If I am not mistaken, the cap hit would be ENORMOUS.  But do you do it and write off the 2025 season?  If not, how do you make this work?  Nathaniel Hackett cannot be on this team.  Neither can Keith Carter.  Neither can anyone associated with the offense.  It would mean bringing in a competent OC and a coaching staff who has no relations with Rodgers.  Could that work?

2) What do you do with Ulbrich?  Again, DC turned rookie head coach.  Could it work IF he gets a chance to hire a good OC himself?  Or will a new GM just wipe the slate clean?

3) Speaking of GM - It's time for an experienced GM, not a first-timer.  While I believe Joe Douglas will have a job in a New York minute, this franchise needs someone who has done the job before, and preferably done it well.  Now, the BIG problem - Where do you find someone who fits that description?

4) The 2022 draft class - What do you do with it?  You can't pay Sauce Gardner and Garrett Wilson and Jermaine Johnson and Breece Hall.  Douglas is a sitting duck and he knows it.  So, does Woody wait until he hires a new GM, and then put it out there that they are all available to see which ones garner the best returns, trade them, and then keep what's left?  Or do you try and sign all four of them, which means getting rid of other players?

5)  Speaking of other players:  I think all the losing has finally caught up to Quinnen Williams.  He just doesn't seem to be the impact player he was.  He would be a GREAT trade chip.  Is it time to move on and do a complete rebuild?

6)  It is time for this team to say goodbye to the Sack exchange, and realize it is time to come into the 21st century.  It HAS to find a veteran QB that can win you games, build a wall of an OL, and then get some weapons, all while drafting QBs every year or so until you find 'the one.' But how do we do this, since we haven't been able to do it in 40 years?

7) Recent successful rebuilds have been accomplished by other teams where they go from rebuild to playoffs in 3-4 years.  What has worked with these teams?  Teams like the Texans, the Bills, the Lions, and the 49ers have all done it recently.  The Commanders are looking like their 5th try might work.  But this team has done three or four complete rebuilds in the past two decades with no success.  We can't fire Woody, but how can Woody stay out of his way, and what would the team need to make it happen?  

It's time to hear from the experts on this board!

You have to let the season play out. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, Woody Johnson must clean house (EVERYONE) and start all over (Damn). On Black Monday I would launch Rodgers into the sun then, find a experienced GM and get outta his way.

Hang in there, there's more pain to come. 😁

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

So, I have not been one to hide that I have supported what Joe Douglas has done.  Has he been perfect?  Nope.  There were misses in the first and second rounds that were costly.  But Douglas did well at finding talent in the later rounds, and did EXCEPTIONALLY well at UDFA signings.  

But I think his undoing has been in the coaches he has hired.  Saleh was loved by his players and did well on the defense.  But once again, the offense has let this team down, as it has for almost three decades. The hiring of people like Keith Carter and Nathaniel Hackett was (flat out) terrible.

Woody Johnson firing Saleh and getting Reddick in the building shows me that JD's days are numbered.  But in the end, will it matter if Woody is still in charge during the next clean sweep?  Woody's actions these past two weeks, to me, suggest he had a BIG hand in (first off) drafting Zach Wilson and then keeping him here as long as we did.  That is of course something we can argue at length.  But here is the question I pose to Jets Fans:  Now what?

1) The clean sweep after JD and all the coaching staff:  Does this include Aaron Rodgers as well? If I am not mistaken, the cap hit would be ENORMOUS.  But do you do it and write off the 2025 season?  If not, how do you make this work?  Nathaniel Hackett cannot be on this team.  Neither can Keith Carter.  Neither can anyone associated with the offense.  It would mean bringing in a competent OC and a coaching staff who has no relations with Rodgers.  Could that work?

2) What do you do with Ulbrich?  Again, DC turned rookie head coach.  Could it work IF he gets a chance to hire a good OC himself?  Or will a new GM just wipe the slate clean?

3) Speaking of GM - It's time for an experienced GM, not a first-timer.  While I believe Joe Douglas will have a job in a New York minute, this franchise needs someone who has done the job before, and preferably done it well.  Now, the BIG problem - Where do you find someone who fits that description?

4) The 2022 draft class - What do you do with it?  You can't pay Sauce Gardner and Garrett Wilson and Jermaine Johnson and Breece Hall.  Douglas is a sitting duck and he knows it.  So, does Woody wait until he hires a new GM, and then put it out there that they are all available to see which ones garner the best returns, trade them, and then keep what's left?  Or do you try and sign all four of them, which means getting rid of other players?

5)  Speaking of other players:  I think all the losing has finally caught up to Quinnen Williams.  He just doesn't seem to be the impact player he was.  He would be a GREAT trade chip.  Is it time to move on and do a complete rebuild?

6)  It is time for this team to say goodbye to the Sack exchange, and realize it is time to come into the 21st century.  It HAS to find a veteran QB that can win you games, build a wall of an OL, and then get some weapons, all while drafting QBs every year or so until you find 'the one.' But how do we do this, since we haven't been able to do it in 40 years?

7) Recent successful rebuilds have been accomplished by other teams where they go from rebuild to playoffs in 3-4 years.  What has worked with these teams?  Teams like the Texans, the Bills, the Lions, and the 49ers have all done it recently.  The Commanders are looking like their 5th try might work.  But this team has done three or four complete rebuilds in the past two decades with no success.  We can't fire Woody, but how can Woody stay out of his way, and what would the team need to make it happen?  

some good points.  saleh hired carter and hackett.  he may have been influenced to hire hackett by woody since it may have been to bring rodgers here.  but if saleh had any heartburn he should've just resigned.  just like mangini should've resigned when they brought in favre.  i think saleh's much vaunted defense (of course it's really carroll's which in turn is cover two) has run its course. 

I think that Woody is going to go all in on a Head Coach with incentive that said HC will get to pick their GM….and leave Joe Douglas’ future to said HC.

This HC will most likely want their own guy and Douglas will not be retained.

I think Woody fired Saleh obviously due to being disappointed in the season but also to get ahead of the coaching search and seeing who will actually be interested in even coming here.

If all the big name coaches or top coordinators who are either available or expected to be available tel their agents to tell Wood to get lost then I actually think this increases Woody’s chances of extending Douglas and having him lead the HC search.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the era was over when he took Zach Wilson at 2 overall the highest Jets pick since Keyshawn 

GMs don't miss at 2 overall and get extensions 

all the moves he's done since then have been to make up for the problems he caused 

Yes, it’s tough to recover from a blown high pick on QB, plus he blew the Becton pick also. You are absolutely correct, he has been trying to patch those mistakes since and it is STILL not fixed. No Qb and old sub-par o- line. Plus coaching staff sucks. Time for yet another rebuild. Sigh…

• Upvote 3

• slats changed the title to The Joe Douglas Era is (speculatively) over
39 minutes ago, Wizard C said:

Woody Johnson must clean house (EVERYONE) and start all over (Damn

woody is the one that needs to be cleaned out...

If not, I can already tell you what 2025 will be like.

wash, rinse, repeat... 

win the off season, high expectations, laughing stock on the field.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

wtf with this title. 8k posts, you know damn well what you're doing. c'mon man!

Again, it was a mistake.  My bad.  Do I need to take everyone out to lunch now or something?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wizard C said:

You have to let the season play out. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, Woody Johnson must clean house (EVERYONE) and start all over (Damn). On Black Monday I would launch Rodgers into the sun then, find a experienced GM and get outta his way.

Hang in there, there's more pain to come. 😁

Your not getting a experience GM with this owner. He will get a other yes man that will answer to him. Anyone who has been around since Woody bought the team knows he will not hire someone he can't have the final say on. JD started out calling the shots until year they fired Lefluer this whole Arron Rogers experiment had Woody all over it fans who think once JD leaves or is fired that Woody will come to his senses are really kidding themselves.

• Upvote 1

Just now, nyjets1969 said:

You’re not getting an experience GM with this owner. He will get an other yes man that will answer to him. Anyone who has been around since Woody bought the team knows he will not hire someone he can't have the final say on. JD started out calling the shots until year they fired Lefluer this whole Arron Rogers experiment had Woody all over it fans who think once JD leaves or is fired that Woody will come to his senses are really kidding themselves.

Yup.  A spineless Maccagnan incoming.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

EDIT: SORRY FOR THE THREAD TITLE.  HOPE IT DOESN'T CAUSE UNDUE HARM TO SOME.

I probably only one here that if Woody isn't hiring a big name GM should stick with JD that's if JD even wants to stay. Why would he want to stay when Woody has been running this since he fired Lefluer. The Hackett hiring has Woody all over it so he could get Arron Rogers since last year Woody has taken this franchise into a nose dive once JD leaves you will see the drafts of Idzik and Mac. At least JD put a good roster on the field. Wait until he is gone enjoy pick in the top 5 every year for the next decade and missing out on players like Mahomes only to grab the  DT  3 years in a row.

13 minutes ago, nyjets1969 said:

You’re not getting an experience GM with this owner. He will get an other yes man that will answer to him. Anyone who has been around since Woody bought the team knows he will not hire someone he can't have the final say on. JD started out calling the shots until year they fired Lefluer this whole Arron Rogers experiment had Woody all over it fans who think once JD leaves or is fired that Woody will come to his senses are really kidding themselves.

The Jets are like a private college who’s been bleeding enrollment over 15 years and the answer is to just keep turning over the admissions person. The infrastructure remains the same and there’s a never ending endowment. If the Jets were forced to run independently and didn’t receive the TV money they would have been out of business a long time ago. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Corn said:

JD would not mind going would be rehired quickly.
We don’t want you JD and your lessons learned we want an inexperience general manager. That’s the Jets way.

What has he done to show you “lessons learned”?

It couldn’t be this April’s draft, because the two guys we took in the top 100 can’t get on the field.

It couldn’t be the Reddick trade. It couldn’t be the Tyrod Smith signing. Mike Williams? Javon Kinlaw?
Can you show me where you see any evidence of all this valuable experience you claim Douglas has gained that we’d be losing?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

woody is the one that needs to be cleaned out...

If not, I can already tell you what 2025 will be like.

wash, rinse, repeat... 

win the off season, high expectations, laughing stock on the field.

Hoping woody is back in London in Jan. But decides to sell instead of handing it over to little bro. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I think he’s likely been fired already and are just playing this out. Guys in the Matt Mullen/Bruce Allen tier of bad GM’s.

Passes on soon to be first ballot HOF tackles for Mekhi Becton and Zach Wilson. 

OL sage. 

• Upvote 2