***The Official Matt Jones Thread*** - Your home for everything Matt Jones.

uart

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

We told you last month that the Jets had shown some interest in Matt Jones, the former first-round pick of the Jaguars who had been released in the wake of his one-week jail sentence for a violation of his parole in connection with a drug-related arrest in Arkansas.

But that interest has since cooled, and the team is not expected to make a play for him. There was interest in Jones from some Jets' front-office personnel, but head coach Rex Ryan was the one who scuttled the idea. And it had nothing to do with his off-field problems; Ryan, we're told, simply didn't like Jones enough as a player to consider him as a potential replacement for Laveranues Coles.

We're hearing the Cowboys remain interested in Jones as a possibility, but only after the NFL determines whether he will face additional sanctions as a result of his parole violation. Jones was suspended three games last year.

Watch the Jets ignore the WR position until the 3rd or 4th round and proclaim that David Clowney is going to be the guy to come in and start for Laveranues Coles. :rl:

A little inconsistency here. Clowney has done nothing in real games so far, but Clemens was quite mediocre in his 8 starts, albeit with a poor supporting cast. Clemens performs well in two mini-camps and Ryan says he was outstanding and you are all set and confident with Clemens as the Jets starting QB. Clowney plays great in the mini-camps (he was the one catching the long passes, not the 5 yarders) and Ryan says equally glowing things about him, and yet the idea of Clowney starting is hysterical to you? :confused:

A little inconsistency here. Clowney has done nothing in real games so far, but Clemens was quite mediocre in his 8 starts, albeit with a poor supporting cast. Clemens performs well in two mini-camps and Ryan says he was outstanding and you are all set and confident with Clemens as the Jets starting QB. Clowney plays great in the mini-camps (he was the one catching the long passes, not the 5 yarders) and Ryan says equally glowing things about him, and yet the idea of Clowney starting is hysterical to you? :confused:

This is YOUR fault for having the gall to expect consistency from 124 !! :biggrin:

We told you last month that the Jets had shown some interest in Matt Jones, the former first-round pick of the Jaguars who had been released in the wake of his one-week jail sentence for a violation of his parole in connection with a drug-related arrest in Arkansas.

But that interest has since cooled, and the team is not expected to make a play for him. There was interest in Jones from some Jets' front-office personnel, but head coach Rex Ryan was the one who scuttled the idea. And it had nothing to do with his off-field problems; Ryan, we're told, simply didn't like Jones enough as a player to consider him as a potential replacement for Laveranues Coles.

Thank God !!! He NEVER impressed me as a WR.

In other words, there was never any interest in Jones.

The beat writers create a story and then write another story to put closure on the 1st story they created. A perfectly tidy situation. They never have to admit they were wrong or made something up.

In other words, there was never any interest in Jones.

The beat writers create a story and then write another story to put closure on the 1st story they created. A perfectly tidy situation. They never have to admit they were wrong or made something up.

We have been "interested" in almost every second and third tier FA available this year, not to mention involved in numerous trade rumors.

You have to take this stuff with a grain of salt.

The man idolized a kicker for crying out loud...what did you expect?!?!?

We have been "interested" in almost every second and third tier FA available this year, not to mention involved in numerous trade rumors.

You have to take this stuff with a grain of salt.

Correct , ESPECIALLY this week.

• 1 month later...

NFL_Jones_small.jpg

The player rep for free agent Matt Jones says the NFL has notified him that Jones will not be suspended for violating a court-mandated drug program in March.

The agent says Jones only has to pay a $50,000 fine. If so, Jones should find work quickly. He's easily the best young receiver on the market. "He caught 65 passes in 12 games last year for the Jaguars and he was their No. 1 receiver," agent Dave Butz pointed out. "If he wasn't hurt one game and didn't have the three-game suspension, he may have caught 80 to 90 balls."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=144274

----------------------------

sign this jackass.

NFL_Jones_small.jpg

The player rep for free agent Matt Jones says the NFL has notified him that Jones will not be suspended for violating a court-mandated drug program in March.

The agent says Jones only has to pay a $50,000 fine. If so, Jones should find work quickly. He's easily the best young receiver on the market. "He caught 65 passes in 12 games last year for the Jaguars and he was their No. 1 receiver," agent Dave Butz pointed out. "If he wasn't hurt one game and didn't have the three-game suspension, he may have caught 80 to 90 balls."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=144274

----------------------------

sign this jackass.

At this point I would sign just about any WR that can play, we need help and he is going to cost much.

I say take a chance on him... Why not? This isn't a team of choir boys anymore.

I'd be willing to take that chance too, at this point. Does anyone know what type of receiver he is? Is he one of these quick, speedy, small guys (I don't even know how tall he is), is he good for possession (which we really don't need at this point), or is he a big target? What is he...?

the guy would be a huge target for Sanchez but would have to have all types of clauses in his contract. With that being said I do not think he would fit the mold of a #1 receiver the Jets are desperately looking for

I'd be willing to take that chance too, at this point. Does anyone know what type of receiver he is? Is he one of these quick, speedy, small guys (I don't even know how tall he is), is he good for possession (which we really don't need at this point), or is he a big target? What is he...?

http://www.nfl.com/players/mattjones/careerstats?id=JON603496

He was a QB in college at Arkansas. Pretty dynamic player. He took over games at times. He had an unbelievable combine and everyone was all over his jock, so the Jags took him in the first.

Obviously a HUGE disappointment, he has really only shown signs of being a possession guy. He's not known for big play. He's a tall guy, 6'6, pretty skinny, good for the fade. He is athletic. He's everything you want to hear on paper, he just got no heart. He doesnt care about Football.

He is a HUGE GIGANTIC PARTIER!!! I live at Jax Beach, and thats basically the "scene" in this city. All the bars, clubs, etc. He was out all the time. Hanging with the dirty coke head crew that is notorious at the beach. The guy snorts a lot of cocaine among other things.

I cant imagine what he would be like in NY.

Archived