Kyle Wilson

joewilly12

ESPN New York suggests Jets CB Kyle Wilson's roster spot could be in jeopardy.

Wilson, the No. 29 overall pick in the 2010 draft, has one year left on his rookie deal and has shown that he's really a slot corner only. The Jets recently signed CB Dimitri Patterson, another slot corner, to a one-year, $3 million deal. "Wilson makes no plays," said an AFC scout. He has just three career interceptions. The Jets will be eyeing cornerback help in next month's draft.

Or...

Maybe they are moving Wilson to FS.  That is the need most are so up in arms about and Wilson apparently played there plenty last year.

Wilson will play outside cornerback, slot cornerback, safety in the base defense and safety in Ryan’s Big Nickel (three-safety) packages this season.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-wilson-corners-market-versatility-article-1.1433456#ixzz2y7uIN8zq

I have said since his rookie year wilson would make a good safety. He is fast a good tackler and plays the ball well when he can see it. Once he turns his back to run with a receiver is when he is bad.

or

they have detected a trend in the NFL that teams pass a lot, and decided more corners is better than less corners, and it's a tough position to fill, so if you want a decent veteran, it's going to cost a minimum of $3 mill per

srsly, having 2 slot corners probably means you can cover 4 WR's sets with 2 guys like in the you know, slot

The Jets have several positions Wilson will be playing this year and

he may even be back next year, ESPN is lost, they know almost nothing and

probably read something written by a fan. ESPN is a gay on gay organization

the body issue is their signature. They like men not sports.

ESPN New York suggests Jets CB Kyle Wilson's roster spot could be in jeopardy.

Wilson, the No. 29 overall pick in the 2010 draft, has one year left on his rookie deal and has shown that he's really a slot corner only. The Jets recently signed CB Dimitri Patterson, another slot corner, to a one-year, $3 million deal. "Wilson makes no plays," said an AFC scout. He has just three career interceptions. The Jets will be eyeing cornerback help in next month's draft.

Wow, Dee Milliner had 3 INT's the last two weeks of the season. Kyle Wilson has just 3 INT's in 64 games lol

Wow, Dee Milliner had 3 INT's the last two weeks of the season. Kyle Wilson has just 3 INT's in 64 games lol

It's real hard to intercept the football when you haven't the foggiest notion where it is. This places the best probabilities of a Wilson interception when it hits him in the hands, arms, or chest. All of which are many decimal places of a percentage point away from happening.

It's real hard to intercept the football when you haven't the foggiest notion where it is. This places the best probabilities of a Wilson interception when it hits him in the hands, arms, or chest. All of which are many decimal places of a percentage point away from happening.

I suppose it's theoretically possible the football could lodge in between the bottom of the back of his helmet and the top of his shoulder pads.

I suppose it's theoretically possible the football could lodge in between the bottom of the back of his helmet and the top of his shoulder pads.

Damn - forgot that possibility  - but it's actually more likely as he is always in pursuit with his back to the QB.

I'd love to see him exclusively in safety roles. He's not a horrible tackler and is pretty physical when he has the chance to be.

wilson had a game in the first few weeks of the season where he just couldn't find the ball like 3 times.  I think he dropped an easy INT as well.  milliner had the same problems.  after his 3rd benching, it looked like the coaches were telling him to not even try to locate the ball, but to just play the WR's arms and knock it out when it got there

the difference.....

milliner eventually figured it out

wilson is still lost

that's why I think the jets have their #1 corner.  what they need now is a big #2 guy who can play outside and run with the big boys

I agree about Wilson being gone. Patterson is signing that would lean in that direction. Im sure the Jets will try  to trade him leading into the draft but if not his spot will be in jeopardy in the summer.

Are there any financial benefits for 2015 if he's cut? His hit is only like $3 mill this year right?

Are there any financial benefits for 2015 if he's cut? His hit is only like $3 mill this year right?

Not really. They would only gain an additional $600K or so once hes replaced on the roster to roll over. Thats kind of why I think they will shop him hard hoping for another 6th or 7th or another kind of dud player that they hope can turn into something. But I dont think Rex or the organization really cares much for him. Maybe Rex likes the celebrating until he watches the film and realizes that Wilson has almost no bearing on the play failing when he does the incomplete gestures.

Not really. They would only gain an additional $600K or so once hes replaced on the roster to roll over. Thats kind of why I think they will shop him hard hoping for another 6th or 7th or another kind of dud player that they hope can turn into something. But I dont think Rex or the organization really cares much for him. Maybe Rex likes the celebrating until he watches the film and realizes that Wilson has almost no bearing on the play failing when he does the incomplete gestures.

It's kind of crazy when you think about it, but if he's cut or traded, Harris is the only player left from the '07 through '10 drafts. If anyone were to wonder why this franchise fell off a cliff after competing for two seasons, that's it right there.

It's kind of crazy when you think about it, but if he's cut or traded, Harris is the only player left from the '07 through '10 drafts. If anyone were to wonder why this franchise fell off a cliff after competing for two seasons, that's it right there.

What about all the free agents they signed?

I don't see what you guys are seeing here. He's not a bad corner, maybe you're just too used to guys like Revis and Cro that you can't see that any more. If Izdick gets rid of WIlson this season, he's going to look like a buffoon... especially after all of his other recent mistakes and failures.

Frightening

I think Wilson is worth what they are paying him, but probably not worth re-signing.  He is probably as good as his replacements, but not being in the long term plans I can see them moving him.  7ths hardly seem worth it when they have so many already.  I can definitely see a Baldwin-Jenkins style player swap. 

I like idea of using him at slot, outside and safety, but the secondary was pretty bad last year and they were apparently already doing that.  Like to blame all that on Cro falling off a cliff, but ... 

I agree about Wilson being gone. Patterson is signing that would lean in that direction. Im sure the Jets will try to trade him leading into the draft but if not his spot will be in jeopardy in the summer.

I'll be surprised if Wilson isn't on the roster this year. He's not great, but he's pretty good at a position where a team needs a lot of players. He's not expensive, so carrying him doesn't hurt you there, and the fact that he has the versatility to play safety is also a big plus.

Also, Idzik set himself up with four comp picks this year by allowing contracts to expire. Next year is Wilson's last year of his deal. I think it's wiser for the team to get use out of him this year, then have him potentially figure as a sixth round comp pick in 2016, than trade him for a sixth or seventh rounder in a year where you've already got 12 selections fighting to make the team.

But then drop that by 420 since the guy in the 54th spot moves up to 53 during the season (or 52nd spot moves up to 51st in the preseason). He gets replaced by the next-lowest guy, not with an empty roster spot. Just like picking up a $2M player really "costs" only $1.6M net. It's $2M instead of $420K, not $2M instead of $0. (Bonus money paid muddies that number a bit if/when the player is cut or traded early; that's the only $$$ instead of $0.) If you want me to explain to you how the salary cap works, let me know. lol

Either way, I think it's worth throwing him back at FS. I'm sure there are plenty of FSs in the league - good ones - who would be meh or worse as full-time CBs. Not all CBs can just slide over to safety y'know like just 'cause safeties are like sucky CBs. Wilson can be a decent slot corner and a terrible safety. He may not be a type that can survey a field and quickly process what seems to be happening. Physically I'm sure he can do it, though.

Lowery was the guy that they should have kept and groomed at safety.

I liked that idea too.  He got cut midseason and was never signed. He was owed $6M, so it seemed like a contract thing for a non-contender, but nobody picked him up.  Maybe his concussion issues are not resolved.  Looking at that contract he got from Jacksonville it makes the Patterson deal look great.  Idzik would never cough up that kind of cash for a guy like Lowery.  4/$14M $4M guaranteed?  Damn.

Archived