The 10 Best and Worst Free-Agent Deals (So Far)

Morrissey

Click on the links for the write-ups. 

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-10-best-free-agent-deals-so-far/

Best:

Justin Forsett stays with Baltimore

Darnell Dockett to San Francisco

Perrish Cox to Tennessee

Brian Orakpo to Tennessee

Terrance Knighton to Washington

Rahim Moore to Houston

Todd Herremans to Indianapolis

Sean Weatherspoon to Arizona

Bryan Bulaga stays with Green Bay

Jabaal Sheard to New England

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-10-worst-free-agent-deals-so-far/

Worst:

Josh McCown to Cleveland

David Harris stays with the Jets

Frank Gore to Indianapolis

Byron Maxwell to Philadelphia

LeSean McCoy to Buffalo

Dan Skuta and Davon House to Jacksonville

Jonathan Casillas, Dwayne Harris, and J.T. Thomas to New York Giants

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a GM with zero expierience in 50% of his job. He's a glorified scout. And these contracts show it.

Doesn't seemed like Mac handled much with the contracts other than setting a value to what the free agents were worth compared to their talents and Jacqueline Davidson and her crew handled the bulk of the contractual work.  

Doesn't seemed like Mac handled much with the contracts other than setting a value to what the free agents were worth compared to their talents and Jacqueline Davidson and her crew handled the bulk of the contractual work.  

SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU GIVE THEM EQUAL RIGHTS??

We overpaid for Harris, cromartie and Gilchrist. We're actually in pretty bad cap space now. One extreme to the other! WOOOOOOO!!

We're going to be significantly under the cap next year as well as the following year, even moreso when you considering all of these contracts can be voided after two years if the players are underperforming. Additionally, the cap is going to increase about $10 million per year for a few seasons. When you consider all of this, I fail to see how we are in a pretty bad cap space.

We're going to be significantly under the cap next year as well as the following year, even moreso when you considering all of these contracts can be voided after two years if the players are underperforming. Additionally, the cap is going to increase about $10 million per year for a few seasons. When you consider all of this, I fail to see how we are in a pretty bad cap space.

Thank You. 

Some people just have a need to piss all over anything positive with zero facts to back up their stance.

We might not be able to trade down for multiple picks because we wouldn't be able to afford that second first rounder this season. 

The Harris one is a bad deal, we overpaid for an older vet on the downside of his career, who isn't a great fit for today's NFL anyway.   I think the line of thinking with that was, that we're moving towards a nickel defense predicated on stopping the pass as much as possible, and needed someone who was strong against the run, and Harris fits that mold.  Although, still would've liked one less year, and half the guaranteed salary.   

We might not be able to trade down for multiple picks because we wouldn't be able to afford that second first rounder this season. 

poppycock

rookies are dirt cheap

and

when you trade down in the first round, you don't get another first rounder,  you get a 3rd round pick.  I've already looked at the two teams with 2 first round picks, neither deal makes sense in any way shape or form

If we draft an OLB in the 1st, we're cutting either Babin or Pace. Not everyone is going to make the team. We'll have enough for the draft

.  Although, still would've liked one less year, and half the guaranteed salary.   

then you would need to replace him as he would be gone.  There are 3 teams that can attract FA's that are in demand at key positions without "overpaying"

they have rodgers manning and brees playing for them

othewise bidding wars always result in "overpaying"

Harris is the team leader and is very good at what he does which is call the defensive signals, bright, great at stopping the run. Bowles will not let this defense expose his weakness. In my opinion and I think the Jets feel the same way he might be the most valuable player on the defense. This writer thinks that Spikes can replace Harris - give me a break.

then you would need to replace him as he would be gone.  There are 3 teams that can attract FA's that are in demand at key positions without "overpaying"

they have rodgers manning and brees playing for them

othewise bidding wars always result in "overpaying"

I don't know if he's that much in demand though.  I know Rex loves him, and he's a good run stopper, but he's horrible in coverage, and he's older.  It would've been a downgrade to move on from him since there aren't that many stud ILBs this free agency, but the money would've been served better elsewhere and go cheap at ILB if possible.   Someone like Spikes wouldn't have been that big of a downgrade, and I presume he'll get about half the money Harris got.  

We overpaid for Harris, cromartie and Gilchrist. We're actually in pretty bad cap space now. One extreme to the other! WOOOOOOO!!

I can understand Harris since he was going to the Bills and it is one of the best run stopper LB in the league but I really do not know how Cro was able to fleece the Jets for 32 Million over 4 years.  

I can understand Harris since he was going to the Bills and it is one of the best run stopper LB 

Since we're running a spread offense and he can't cover, wouldn't it have been better to let him go there, use 7.5mil on someone else and expose him twice a year?

Not to mention our Dline is already great at run stopping?

I'm not a big Harris fan specifically due to his lack of ability to cover. However, he is one of the better ILB at stopping the run. He's going to see playing time at 1st and 2nd down and forcing teams to pass on our secondary.

Let's not forget that Bowles made Foote look like he's 25 last year. He might be slower than Harris.

I really don't see how the Cromartie deal doesn't make the list over the Harris deal.  Dude has no agility and can't cover speedier wide outs.  32 Mill whadda f.   I was thinking half that might be too much.  

Do we even have anything left to sign draft picks at this point ? 

Archived