Reaction/Grades to Jets Draft Thread (Kiper, McShay, CNN, Grantland, and more)

Morrissey

Some ESPN Insider stuff:

As I say every year, the draft is about adding talent, but winning is about talent development. I know I can't grade a draft class on performance for at least a few years, which is a reason I audit old drafts. What I do here is assess three main things:

• How much overall talent did a team add, based on board position?

• How effectively did they address key personnel voids?

• How efficient were they in maneuvering on the draft board?

Remember: I have to use my player grades as the prism. I'm well aware all NFL teams see players differently -- I debate with those evaluators all year. Disagreements are just the reality of this process, and I'm sure they have some grades on me.

Grading scale: In my mind an A means it's exceptional; a B is pretty good; a C is average, with hits and questions marks; a D means below average with some big questions. An F ... well, keep reading.

New York Jets: A-

Top needs: QB, OLB, OL, RB

The new leadership in the Jets front office had a great draft. Forget about need, when you get the best overall player in the draft (at least on my board) at No. 6 overall, you've done really well on value. I just don't think it's possible to have too many good defensive lineman, so I wouldn't exactly call it a "glut" to have Williams in there with Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson. In fact, you don't need a big imagination to have them all on the field at the same time. I know some fans might have wanted Kevin White at No. 6, but the Jets added a big-play threat at WR in Round 2 with Devin Smith. There are route concepts I just haven't seen from Smith, but that's mostly a product of the Ohio State offense, and he can really stretch you on defense. Good get. The Jets maneuvered well in moving down in a deal with Houston to add some picks, and they were then able to move back up later to secure Bryce Petty, who has ability but will need time to develop because there are so many NFL concepts that are foreign to him. Still, good value to get a No. 4 QB down at 103 overall. Lorenzo Mauldin has good length but doesn't scare you as an edge rusher -- he's a high-character kid and could help them as he develops. I agree with McShay that Jarvis Harrison can be a really good NFL guard if he gets after it a bit more, so you like the value in Round 5. Late in the draft, the Jets got good value at running back by flipping a late pick for Zac Stacy. I wanted them to nab a tackle, but it was a good overall draft for the Jets, adding value and in swinging deals, with Williams a fabulous value at the top. And remember: I factor Brandon Marshall into this draft. 

Mel Kiper Jr. handles the draft grades for us at ESPN every year, but what I've done here is go through and identify my favorite pick for each of the 32 teams this year.

"Favorite pick" does not necessarily mean "best player" -- I also took into account team needs, the player's value relative to draft position and other players available on the board at the time the pick was made.

Round 2 (37): Devin Smith, WR, Ohio State

Give the Jets credit for taking USC D-lineman Leonard Williams at No. 6 overall, despite already having a strong position group with Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson. Fourth-round QB Bryce Petty is a very talented passer with everything you want from a quarterback prospect in terms of his work ethic and intangibles, but his challenge is going to be adjusting to an NFL playbook after his time in Baylor's up-tempo spread offense. I like the Devin Smith pick at No. 37 overall best, as he was the No. 28 player on my board and is a big-time vertical threat who will fit well alongside Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker.

It's impossible to judge a team's draft class the day the draft ends, in part because some picks are made more with the future in mind than immediate impact.

But based on the picks made Thursday through Saturday, which draft classes improved their teams the most heading into the 2015 season? Below, I have identified a franchise from each division that saw its roster get markedly better this weekend.

Here are the most improved teams out of the 2015 NFL draft:

AFC East: New York Jets

The Jets made the right call in taking Leonard Williams, the best overall player, with the No. 6 pick, even though they're already stacked along the defensive line. Whether or not the Jets decide to trade Muhammad Wilkerson, they'll be very strong up front, as Williams should have an early impact. Second-rounder Devin Smith provides a vertical element to New York's passing game that it lacked -- Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker are more possession receivers -- and Lorenzo Mauldin should contribute as a pass-rusher off the edge. Quarterback is still an unsettled position, and I don't think fourth-rounder Bryce Petty will be a factor this season, but I like him as a developmental selection.

Thanks for posting for those of use without ESPN Insider. Love the reviews.....am really excited for Devin Smith too, he should be a hell of a WR, especially if he can develop his route running.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting for those of use without ESPN Insider. Love the reviews.....am really excited for Devin Smith too, he should be a hell of a WR, especially if he can develop his route running.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

You should get it dude. For like $5/ year you get monthly magazine + online

Not super high on the Williams pick, but he was a solid pick up. Certainly cant complain. I think we did damage in the 2nd and 3rd rounds though. 

I hear ya and understand that viewpoint (although I respectfully disagree) but what we can all agree on is that if the biggest criticism we have is whether we really needed the consensus best player in the draft, which we nabbed at 6, well that's something I can certainly live with.

I have been served well over the years with my darksider attitude but pinch me I think the NYJ just had a good draft?!

As I say every year, the draft is about adding talent, but winning is about talent development. I know I can't grade a draft class on performance for at least a few years, which is a reason I audit old drafts. What I do here is assess three main things: • How much overall talent did a team add, based on board position? • How effectively did they address key personnel voids? • How efficient were they in maneuvering on the draft board?

I like the starting to that article. I agree a draft class cannot be graded for atleast 3 seasons but you can assess a few things. In that vein here is my quick outlook on our draft.

1. Leonard Williams   - Loved the pick. It was BPA and sometimes its tough but in the long run it pays off taking a player based on BPA. Grade A.

2. Delvin Smith          -  Nice pickup after not being able to get Amari Cooper. Could have been Jaelen Strong. While not a 100% lock to be a success addressing a NEED for the team with a prospect who has a big potential to be that electric playmaker that this offernse has lacked. Grade A-.

3. Trade down/ Lorenzo Mauldin - This was the mother of all head scratcher's. First the JETS traded down with Houston while not getting a fair value in draft picks. For Houston it was having their cake and eating it too. First they traded up in a trade in which they did not give up fair value in draft picks and on the other hand they got a prospect that could very well turn out to be the steal of this draft, greatly helping their team at a position of need. For the JETS they obviously got the short end of this entire deal. The trade looked like a gift to Houston from Maccagnan. The JETS could have stayed where they were and added another good WR or even a RB. Because they traded down they lost on some good prospects.

As far the the pick the JETS finally made we will see how it pans out. Lorenzo Mauldin will be a very good mirror of Maccagan's scouting acumen. I would be surprised if this prospect can contribute in a significant way in his rookie year. But it was a position of need so i cannot give this pick the lowest grade but overall the trade down and the draft pickup get's a Grade D.

4. Bryce Petty - Cannot blame the team for picking a QB. When you do not have a franchise QB and always have the habit of winning meaningless games at the end of the season so you cannot end up with the Top 2 pick then this is the best you can do. Keep picking QB's in the mid rounds till you strike gold with one. Bryce Petty is a raw pickup and will need atleast two seasons with a red shirt and clipboard to develop. If he pans out as a starting QB this will be a great draft. Grade B+.

5. Jarvis Harrison - I really do not understand this pick. So you pass on Top 10 talent like Randy Gregory in the 2nd round but pick up a guy in the 5th round inspite of him some of the very same issues that Gregory has. I have seen a lot of posters mention the tardiness of the likes of Gregory with being late to meetings BUT Jarvis Harrison has had the very same issues. Add to that he is considered LAZY, a surefire sign of failure in the NFL. So unless he steps up BIG time on the field and show's us something special this will remain a very poor pick from the JETS. Grade F.

6. Deon Simon - It's the 7th round.  I would have gone the way of drafting a Tre McBride specially since he supposed to be a good return man as well and talent wise I would consider him a lot higher. Still i see why the JETS picked Simon. There is a need to develop a guy who could be Snacks replacement once Snacks becomes a UDFA at the end of this season. Grade B.

Zac Stacy - traded one 7th round pick to get Zac Stacy. This needed to be done because the JETS failed to draft a RB in a draft that was deep at that position. So they got a guy who while having a solid rookie season, slid down to 3rd on the depth chart on his team last season and has a career ave ypc of 3.9 yards. Still not a bad depth add to the team BUT certainly lacking the quality to make it a killer unit.  Grade C.

5. Jarvis Harrison - I really do not understand this pick. So you pass on Top 10 talent like Randy Gregory in the 2nd round but pick up a guy in the 5th round inspite of him some of the very same issues that Gregory has. I have seen a lot of posters mention the tardiness of the likes of Gregory with being late to meetings BUT Jarvis Harrison has had the very same issues. Add to that he is considered LAZY, a surefire sign of failure in the NFL. So unless he steps up BIG time on the field and show's us something special this will remain a very poor pick from the JETS. Grade F.

Because you can take a gamble on a 5th rounder that you don't take on a 1st or 2nd rounder. 

From CNN:

The Jets got the best football player in the draft at No. 6 overall, and he happens to be a perfect fit for everything they want to do.

OK, yeah: That makes four first-round picks spent on defensive linemen in five years. Yes, they'll have to deal with the logjam somehow and may have to trade for more offensive help to justify this pick. But you don't pass at Calvin Johnson because you drafted Mike Williams, and you don't pass on Leonard Williams because you drafted Quinton Coples.

The Jets knew they had to come out of this draft with a playmaker, though, and though they had to pass on Kevin White to take Williams, they snagged Smith at the top of the second round. It'll be interesting to see whether the Jets' top two picks from this draft beat out the Chicago Bears' (White and Eddie Goldman).

Harrison is a desperately needed influx of youth on the offensive line.

But buried deep in the middle there? Bryce Petty, one of the best-of-the-rest quarterbacks who some were talking about as potential late climber. Instead, the Jets maneuvered into place to get him near the top of the fourth round. He's not only an excellent value but pushes and covers for third-year man Geno Smith.

Though Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the Jets' best quarterback this season, who's starting under center in 2016 and beyond—and who's traded for whatever can be gotten—could be determined this training camp.

Grade: A

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nfl-draft-all-value-team/

Defensive end: Leonard Williams (1-6), Jets

Yes, when you get the guy who was widely regarded as the best player in the draft independent of position at no. 6, it represents great value. Williams will be splitting time with an already fearsome duo of defensive ends in Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson, but all three will likely play when the Jets go to their nickel package, with Wilkerson outside at defensive end while Williams and Richardson line up as defensive tackles. The key to beating the Patriots in years past has been dominating their offensive line with a four-man rush, and the Jets can do that with the talent they’ve assembled up front.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/welcome-to-the-2015-nfl-draft-awards/

The Most Terrifying Talent Stack

Leonard Williams and the Jets, who found the draft’s most highly regarded player on the board at no. 6 and took him without worrying about how he would play in their defense. This is different from the situation I just mentioned with Fowler and the Jaguars. There’s an obvious fit for Williams in New York; he’ll be a 5-technique defensive end, which was always going to be his ideal landing spot. The problem is that the Jets are loaded at defensive end, where they already line up a pair of Pro Bowl–caliber ends in Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson. Defensive end was already the most impressive position on Gang Green’s roster; now, they’ve added the sixth overall pick to the mix.

I can understand hearing complaints about this from Jets fans who wanted the team to add an edge rusher or even another wideout, especially with Kevin White still on the board. But there are dumber things than building your team through a dominant defensive line. The cross-stadium Giants built their championship-winning teams from 2007 and 2011 on deep, athletic defensive linemen, beating the Patriots in a pair of Super Bowls by whipping their offensive linemen one-on-one. Todd Bowles blitzed as much as anybody during his time in Arizona, but if he can get pressure by rushing four, he would be foolish not to take it. When the Jets go into sub packages, Bowles will be able to mix and match his linemen to his heart’s content while keeping them fresh with steady rotations.

The other concern is over Wilkerson’s future. The Jets haven’t come to terms with the New Jersey native on a long-term contract, and there has naturally been post-draft speculation that the Jets selected Williams with the idea that he’ll replace Wilkerson in the starting lineup after Wilkerson eventually leaves town. I find that one hard to believe. Wilkerson is entering the final year of his rookie contract, during which he’ll make just under $7 million. The Jets can franchise him next year while paying him somewhere around $12 million, which wouldn’t be an unfair sum. Wilkerson can get more than that on the free market, but with that leverage, the Jets should be able to entice him to sign a lengthy extension. My suspicion is that Wilkerson will stay and Bowles will get the most out of his new charges.

Not super high on the Williams pick, but he was a solid pick up. Certainly cant complain. I think we did damage in the 2nd and 3rd rounds though. 

I think 4th rounder is going to work out very well for us too.

You GFY . I'll say what I please. Go focus on typing jets without the caps on. You annoy me with that too.

Either you have the intellect to argue your point OR you are an idiot who has to ridicule everything that does not agree with your tiny thought process.

P.S: Go JETS.

Archived