Jets' no-name rookie tosses aside linemen in head turner

flgreen

Jets’ no-name rookie tosses aside linemen in head-turner

August 7, 2015 | 10:56pm

Modal Trigger

lm.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Lorenzo MauldinPhoto: Bill Kostroun
MORE O

The most impressive sight at Jets practice Friday was rookie linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin’s performance in a pass-rushing drill.

The drill had pass rushers facing offensive linemen, trying to get around them and ring a bell that was hanging about 6 feet in the air, where the quarterback would be. Mauldin repeatedly beat his man and rang the bell over and over again.

The third-round pick out of Louisville is having a strong training camp and even has been getting some first-team reps.

“I feel like I’m playing a lot faster [than the spring],” Mauldin said. “Of course there are things I need to work on still, but I feel like I’m playing a lot faster than I was in the spring because now I’m starting to get a hold of the playbook more. I’m trying to perfect my craft out here.”

Mauldin said the biggest area he needs to improve on is dropping into pass coverage, something he did not do a lot of in college.

It is hard to mistake what team he is on. Mauldin has dyed some of his dreadlocks green to match the Jets’ uniforms.

“I wanted to show spirit and the fans have been asking for it,” Mauldin said. “I’m a fan guy.”

The fans are going to like more than just his hair color.

Modal Triggertb1.jpg?w=142&h=300

Todd BowlesPhoto: Bill Kostroun

One oddity of Jets camp so far is there have not been any fights. Usually training camp features a few fights, when players get hot and tired of pushing one another. Jets coach Todd Bowles said he knows why this team is not fighting.

“There’s consequences and repercussions for fighting, so they would be wise not to fight,” he said. “I understand it gets hot. They understand. You get thrown out of ballgames and everything else, so why do it in practice? You can’t take your helmet off and go after another guy in those type of things. First of all, it’s dumb. Second of all, if you have that much energy, you’ve got enough energy to run.”

The NFL is trying to crack down on fighting, and Bowles said he is well aware of that and wants the team to treat practice like a game, knowing they will be in trouble if they fight.

Defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson (hamstring) missed his fourth straight practice. Bowles said Wilkerson had an MRI exam and there was no tear. He said Wilkerson is just tight right now and can’t loosen the hamstring up.

There has been some speculation Wilkerson, who is unhappy with his contract, is staging some kind of protest by sitting out. Bowles said he did not think the injury was contract-related. Wilkerson has not spoken to reporters since suffering the injury on Sunday.

The Jets will practice at MetLife Stadium on Saturday night. The “Green and White” practice will not feature the traditional intrasquad scrimmage. Instead, it will be a normal practice.

Training day

Good Gene’s

Geno Smith has gone eight practices without throwing an interception. Smith has performed well so far and made some really nice throws Friday in practice.

Cro’ing old?

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie is not having a great camp. He seems to get burned on a deep ball in nearly every practice. Saalim Hakim blew by him Friday for what would have been a touchdown.

Caught my eye

The Jets have some depth at inside linebacker. GM Mike Maccagnan brought in Erin Henderson, Joe Mays and Jamari Lattimore, who all have starting experience. That has been a thin position for several years, but now they have good depth.

Medical report

Safety Antonio Allen will miss the season after suffering a torn Achilles tendon. CB Dee Milliner will miss six-to-eight weeks after having surgery on his wrist Friday. WR Shaq Evans sat out Friday with bruised ribs.

FILED UNDER NEW YORK JETS

I wasn't familiar with mauldin before the draft but everything I've seen sounds positive so far. He seems like a solid player possibly the next calvin pace

I was hoping Eli Harold would slip to us in the 3rd. I actually thought he was our pick before we traded down.

I think the guys we picked this year have a common thread between them. They are all high motor, hard working team oriented guys. Mauldin is a good example of this. I'm excited to see him play this year and hope we found a diamond in the rough here. Sure would make losing out on Harold and Duke with that trade more bearable. Make Mcags look like a mystic of sorts.

Great to hear Mauldin is quickly gaining trust w coaching staff.

Finally a blurb on ILBs! I'm nervous about Harris' lack of speed but I still like the guy. In very excited about Henderson...I'm hoping he emerges as a very pleasant surprise and starts at one of the ILB spots.

cro is a slug. Either mc dougle or signed anyone else

He played pretty well in Bowles' defense last year, Revis loves working with him. Even with that, Cro is basically on a one year deal while they hope someone else steps up. I get that he's on the expensive side, but with the incredibly predictable injury to Milliner it looks like a better signing today.

He played pretty well in Bowles' defense last year, Revis loves working with him. Even with that, Cro is basically on a one year deal while they hope someone else steps up. I get that he's on the expensive side, but with the incredibly predictable injury to Milliner it looks like a better signing today.

Also Bowles specifically said that Cro studies his butt on film of opponents between games so that the games themselves are easy.  Some players are practice players and others are game players.  It appears to me that Bowles feels that Cro is the latter and that is why the Jets signed him,

Also Bowles specifically said that Cro studies his butt on film of opponents between games so that the games themselves are easy.  Some players are practice players and others are game players.  It appears to me that Bowles feels that Cro is the latter and that is why the Jets signed him,

Cro does well or poorly depending on how tightly the refs are calling defensive PI in that game or in that season.  I see no difference this year except that he is perhaps a half a step slower.

Good post, can't argue with any of it, but he did tail off badly at the end of the year.

And I can't stand him, he's a pu$$y. Like a C. Anthony, won't do the little things to help you win a game.

I didn't see many cards games, but I recall a few where cro made plays when he WASNT in man coverage; he was covering underneath stiff and used his length to snatch some picks.

I'm hoping to see some of the same stuff if mcdougal can pan out to be the CB. That's a big "if", but I'm hoping.

Cro makes me nervous and teams WILL be going after him cuz the other side is locked down.

New York Jets: Lorenzo Mauldin shining in training camp

by Nick Ziegler 

1h ago

One of the most enjoyable things about training camp is watching young and unknown players succeed. For the New York Jets, one of those players has been rookie Lorenzo Mauldin.

Also on Empire Writes Back: Who was the best first-round pick in Jets history?

In the 2015 NFL Draft, the Jets selected Mauldin from the University of Louisville in the third-round.

Mauldin had a very nice career at Louisville, as in three seasons he totaled 20.5 sacks, 31.5 tackles for loss, and five forced fumbles.

At Louisville, Mauldin played defensive line, but like some undersized defensive lineman in college, Mauldin is making the switch to linebacker. The transition to the NFL is tough, but switching positions can be even more difficult for a young player.

In training camp so far, Mauldin is playing great and even is getting reps with the first-team.

“I feel like I’m playing a lot faster [than the spring],” Mauldin said to Brian Costello of the New York Post. “Of course there are things I need to work on still, but I feel like I’m playing a lot faster than I was in the spring because now I’m starting to get a hold of the playbook more. I’m trying to perfect my craft out here.”

Mauldin is very committed to the Jets, as he dyed part of his hair green to show support for the team.

“I wanted to show spirit and the fans have been asking for it,” Mauldin said to Costello. “I’m a fan guy.”

Mauldin still needs to improve in pass coverage, but the fact he is getting first-team reps already is very impressive. Mauldin is likely going to be able to get some time on the field, as the Jets are probably going to be starting veteran Calvin Pace.

Pace is now 34-years-old, and is coming off a down season. In 2014, Pace only totaled five sacks, as the Jets may envision Mauldin as a possible replacement for Pace.

With how well Mauldin is performing in training camp, he may be looking to take snaps away from Pace in Week 1.

There is a lot of time left in training camp and preseason, but Mauldin has become a player to watch for the Jets.

Archived