BREAKING: Bears releasing Jay Cutler, and Jets appear to be his only suitor

SAR I

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

"Bridge Qbs" are a bridge to nowhere.  Just play the young guys that actually have a chance to improve 

I actually agree with this. However, I think Cutler has enough doosh in him to finally be good when the narrative on him is he sucks. 

it all comes down to money.  if cutler wants osweiler money then it's doubtful he'll be a jet. what cutler would bring is competency at the qb position for a couple of seasons.  put him on a team where he doesn't have to be the star and he might surpirse.  and he's old enough that it won't be a long term deal and much easier to bring in hack/petty or some other qb.  it also won't require any draft picks or even trading shelly.

one last point, i would hope they consult morton before they sign him since he has a history, good or bad.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Can you imagine the fiery half time speeches with Cutler and Bowles feeding off of each other's fire and passion in front of the locker room?

Hah, I can picture culture slouching in a chair with his disinterested face and Toilet mumbling about shrimp in front of the team!

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Sign Cutler

Trade Sheldon + a 6th for a 2nd rounder.

Trade back in R1, not too far, add a 3rd.

Draft TE, CB, EDGE, and S all in top 3 rounds.

not bad choices. they get rid of a cancer and add talent at the stated positions.  much as cutler is being poo-pooed he's a better qb than the jets have had since favre. and if they go 8-8. so what.  chances are they weren't going to finish poorly enough to grab the top pick.

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

more and more im thinking start hackenburg from day one. a full schedule. evaluate fully.

at least by the end of the season well see if we have something and go from there. if not, draft a qb. or draft one this year.

I cant remember a time like this for the jets. there is literally no one to play

Weren't you trying to idiotically scorch me for this plan when Glennon had your heart? Lol glad you realize what is really happening now.

3 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

You've obviously got the wrong Canadian.

I don't think Watson will be a good pro QB. I hope that some team wants our #6 and we trade down for an additional pick .

Sorry about that, I thought it was Joe Willy's post.

looking at his stats and numbers.. I'm actually ok with Cutler.. good guy on the field and off with his diabetes work. He would be the best QB on the roster (course you could say that with a bunch of quarterbacks out there..)

But yeah I'd root for Cutler.  Might revive his career and he does have quite an arm.

(sorry don't kill me for saying it but .. I'm for it.)

Jay Cutler is the best of what’s left for the Jets at quarterback

Jay Cutler may land with the Jets after being released by the Bears on Thursday.

Jay Cutler may land with the Jets after being released by the Bears on Thursday.

(CHRIS SZAGOLA/CSM /LANDOV)

Jay Cutler has emerged as the Jets’ best free-agent quarterback option 11 years after they passed on him with the fourth pick in the first round to take D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

Oh boy. That's not good news.

Cutler is a very poor man's Brett Favre. He can sling it like Favre, fall in love with his arm like Favre, make awful decisions like Favre, and he's just not a winner and leader like Favre or beloved in the locker room like the Hall of Fame former quarterback of the Jets.

It seems anybody who plays with Cutler long enough doesn't care all that much for him. Even so, he's on the scrap heap and the Jets, who according to a source are interested in Cutler, are searching for scraps. This could be a one-year marriage of convenience to provide GM Mike Maccagnan, terribly overmatched finding quarterbacks in the draft, a chance to make it look like he's trying to win in 2017 when it's in the best interest of the franchise to tank the season and get Southern Cal's Sam Darnold in 2018 in what is expected to be a strong quarterback draft.

Jets Mailbag: Stop dreaming of Jay Cutler - he'd be a nightmare

Jets Nation will become enamored with Cutler the first time he fires a 40-yard bullet over the middle but the love affair will immediately end when the pass is picked off.

That's who he is.

It's an unBear-able situation for Da Jets.

Cutler got off to a rough start with Bears Nation by throwing four interceptions against the hated Packers in the opening game of his first season in Chicago in 2009. He had a career-high 26 picks for the season.

None of the free-agent quarterbacks will solve the Jets’ problems

Really, he sounds like the perfect Jets quarterback. He will fit right in, a smooth transition from Fitz.

All the Bears higher-ups had nice things to say about Cutler after they cut him Thursday. He showed class, too, mentioning he met his wife in Chicago and that's where his three children were born. "Our family will leave Chicago with great memories and relationships on and off the field," he said. "We look forward to the next chapter in our lives and wish the best to Bear fans everywhere."

Cutler won't be as good as Ryan Fitzpatrick was in 2015 but he would have to throw it left-handed to be as bad as Fitz was last season. Cutler is 68-71 in the regular season, and in his eight seasons in Chicago after getting traded from Denver he made the playoffs just once after not making it to the postseason with Denver. For his career, he has 208 TDs and 146 INTs.

This is what happens when Mark Sanchez regresses, Geno Smith turns into a knucklehead, Bryce Petty is just a guy and rookie Christian Hackenberg can't even get on the field in one of the worst quarterback seasons in Jets history.

Jets have slim pickings at QB, but we have some (fictional) ideas

NOV. 26, 2015 FILE PHOTO

Tony Romo.

(BRANDON WADE/AP)

Cutler, who will be 34 in April, is the best of what's left in free agency and there wasn't much to start. I would certainly rather have him on a short-term contract than Colin Kaepernick, Sanchez, Smith, Brock Osweiler, Brian Hoyer or Mike Glennon. There were reports the Jets were talking to the Broncos about Trevor Siemian, who will likely be available if Denver gets Tony Romo. Siemian was taken in the seventh round of the same draft Maccagnan selected Petty in the fourth round.

Romo is the most talented quarterback who will change teams, but realistically, he would likely retire than play for this Jets mess. He's made over $100 million in his career and the goal now is to hook up with the Texans or Broncos defense and win a Super Bowl.

It appears the Texans are the favorites to get Romo after Houston was so desperate to dump Osweiler and get out from under his $16 million guaranteed salary for 2017 and save $10 million on the salary cap, that they traded a second-round pick to the Browns on Thursday to take him.

Hoyer signed with the 49ers. Glennon, the Bucs backup, is this year's Osweiler (three years, $45 million with $19 million guaranteed) getting drastically overpaid by Chicago to replace Cutler. He has a 5-13 record as a starter.

Jets interested in Jay Cutler as QB released by Bears

Franchise QBs don't make it to free agency. That's why you need to find them in the draft. But among the free agents, I would rank Romo first and Cutler second. You can keep the rest of them.

Osweiler was the big name last year when the Texans signed him to a four-year, $72 million that included $37 million guaranteed. He quickly became the worst bust since free agency became a thing in the NFL in 1993. The Texans presumably dumped Osweiler in anticipation of either signing Romo if the Cowboys cut him or trading for him if they become convinced Dallas could send him to Denver.

What was Cleveland thinking? In effect, the Browns paid $16 million for a 2018 second-round pick. They are soon expected to cut Osweiler if they can't trade him. Even if they can trade him, they can't expect to get back much more than a seventh-round pick, but will probably have to pick up about $14 million of the contract.

The Browns had about $100 million in cap room. The cap has gone up so much in recent years that some teams are having a hard time spending to the 90% minimum over a three-year period. The Browns are the leading proponents of analytics in the NFL — one of their chief decision makers is Paul DePodesta, one of the Moneyball baseball guys — and are all about collecting draft picks. Of course, they've shown no indication they can make good decisions with their picks.

Jets Free Agency Tracker: Here's the latest moves from Gang Green

In the next two drafts, the Browns have three first-round picks and five second-round picks. They still don't have a quarterback after trading away the chance to take Carson Wentz last year.

Maccagnan has picked Petty and Hackenberg in his first two drafts for the Jets. Now his best option is Jay Cutler. There is nobody else.

Tags:

NFL

NEW YORK JETS

JAY CUTLER

BROCK OSWEILER
Send a Letter to the Editor