McCown's' last 32 games

AFJF

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

5 wins 27 losses

.185 winning %

Correct, but I'm of the belief that teams win and lose games, not one player.  

I know that not everyone agrees, but that's my opinion.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

he played for the browns 2 yrs and still did ok.

bottom line, this team will do better than is predicted, the defense will be better than last year and the offense will not be run into the ground by squabbling veterans.  

I dont care about the top pick in terms of doing anything to try and get it.

Hack needs to start 16 games, and then you evaluate the QB position after the season. If we do wind up with the #1 pick you take the Top QB even if Hack showed a lot of promise.

Playing McClown and winning 5 or 6 games, and not learning what you have in Hack is a franchise wrecking nightmare. Even Bill Polian thinks Hack should just play.

3 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Don't worry about it, then.  This team stinks

Correct, but are they 1-15 stinks,or 7-9 stinks?  Big difference, and halfway decent QB play will go a long way in determining which.

The only issue that should concern any fan of this team is McCown winning a couple of meaningless games and Hackenberg turns into anything less than an average Starting QB.

Read Football Outsiders analysis on Hack where they said if he can turn it around, his development would be unprecedented.  Have to agree that I've never seen a QB be so bad and turn out to have a career in the league as a starter.  Maybe Alex Smith.  But then again Alex wasn't that bad and he isn't that great right now.

So if McCown wins 4 games, I guess he can be our starting QB for the foreseeable future while SF can get Darnold and make the playoffs in two or three years.

Good times.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

42 TD's 

25 INT's

60% comp pct

If he stays healthy for even ten games and plays at that level, the top pick will be out of the question IMO.

maybe.  the stats themselves are average at best.  but if they are enough to keep hack on the bench then the jets will be in contention for the top pick.  the real question is how much better (or worse) do hack's have to be to keep mccown on the bench.

I think Macc and the Jets tried to hire a good mentor who can provide some entertainment, a virtual guaranty to both lose and ultimately get hurt so the younger QB plays.

I think where this plan comes off the rails is that (i) the Jets defense can be good-how many high picks are on it?, (ii) McCown has flashed and (iii) the CS is coaching for their jobs.

Who knows that discussion that was had.  Hopefully Woody told the FO that they were only getting fired for incompetence, and that he did not care if they lost almost all their games.  The Browns lost more games than the Jets, but I would argue that they looked better than the Jets did.

There are other pieces of the offense that have to be developed.  They can't start Hack if he would be a total fiasco.  But I agree with Morton that Hack is basically a rookie this year.  That means the HC last year did nothing to develop him.  Bowles got completely rolled by his coaching staff and veterans last year.  He looks to be doing better.  Hopefully Woody has been able to frame his expectations for Bowles so that he coaches in the long-term interests of the team.   Bowles is under contract next year.  I think Coughlin coached in his last contract year.  Bowles does not need to be fired this year.

And Woody hates to eat contract costs.

This is where the owner needs to step in and make sure this plan is being executed.  My concern is that Bowles and Macc are still fighting to keep their jobs next year and whether that's right or wrong is up for debate but the reality is Woody needs to let the FO and coaching staff know their jobs will not be decided on wins and losses but moreso on the development of the last 2 drafts.  

On 8/16/2017 at 11:56 AM, AFJF said:

42 TD's 

25 INT's

60% comp pct

If he stays healthy for even ten games and plays at that level, the top pick will be out of the question IMO.

And those numbers are precisely why Bowles will start him.... and I can see why..

However it is precisely why I didn't want McCown because he is nothing more than fools gold at best!!

His presence on the team will hurt the team in the long run

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

And those numbers are precisely why Bowles will start him.... and I can see why..

However it is precisely why I din't want McCown because he is nothing more than fools gold at best!!

His presence on the team will hurt the team in the long run

I think he will prevent them from picking as high as we'd like.  Have to keep in mind how brittle he is, though.  Could be IR'd by week 3.

Love McCowns leadership ... if Hack cant beat him out in Camp ... Hack should not start. 

McCown should not hurt our draft position terribly ... if history holds true.

My preference is that Hack actually .. you know ... earn his position.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I agree that it is a team. The only problem is when you are on bad teams and you are losing, it is easier to put up good passing stats. i.e. padding your stats.

I think McCown will start the opener and will be replaced in the first few weeks by Hackenberg.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I agree that it is a team. The only problem is when you are on bad teams and you are losing, it is easier to put up good passing stats. i.e. padding your stats.

I think McCown will start the opener and will be replaced in the first few weeks by Hackenberg.

As Jets fans, we've seen plenty of QBs who couldn't pad their stats in any situation.  Still have to have a certain degree of skill to succeed.  

I agree and hope you're right.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

I agree, but also agree this Jets team is as badly coached, and has worse talent on offense then all 3 of those teams he was on when he went 5-27.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I agree, but also agree this Jets team is as badly coached, and has worse talent on offense then all 3 of those teams he was on when he went 5-27.

That may be true, but remains to be seen.  

Robby and ASJ could be legit receiving threats with some decent slot options and three versatile RBs.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

That may be true, but remains to be seen.  

Robby and ASJ could be legit receiving threats with some decent slot options and three versatile RBs.

During that record McCown had B Marshall, M Forte, Ma Bennett, A Jeffrey, Mike Evans, Vincent Jackson, Gary Barnidge, T Pryor, and B Coleman to throw the ball to.

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

During that record McCown had B Marshall, M Forte, Ma Bennett, A Jeffrey, Mike Evans, Vincent Jackson, Gary Barnidge, T Pryor, and B Coleman to throw the ball to.

Yes he did.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Stats dont lie....   Fitz never made the playoffs, McGown has less than a .185 winning percentage.

Yet the JETS entertain these clowns.

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Stats dont lie....   Fitz never made the playoffs, McGown has less than a .185 winning percentage.

Any GM who signs players like these hasn't the slightest clue in the world and any head coach who starts them at QB is not a real NFL coach. 

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

42 TD's 

25 INT's

60% comp pct

Man that's weak also here's Christian Hackenberg's last three years:

48 TD's

31 INTs

56% comp percentage.

that was in the Big 10

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

And they all put up relatively huge statistical seasons with McCown.

50 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Right, but that particular stat is a team stat.  I was highlighting McCowns own performance, not that of the offense, defense and special teams of those organizations.

6 hours ago, Pcola said:

The only issue that should concern any fan of this team is McCown winning a couple of meaningless games and Hackenberg turns into anything less than an average Starting QB.

Read Football Outsiders analysis on Hack where they said if he can turn it around, his development would be unprecedented.  Have to agree that I've never seen a QB be so bad and turn out to have a career in the league as a starter.  Maybe Alex Smith.  But then again Alex wasn't that bad and he isn't that great right now.

So if McCown wins 4 games, I guess he can be our starting QB for the foreseeable future while SF can get Darnold and make the playoffs in two or three years.

Good times.

Vinny Testeverde says hi.

The idea that a top 10 pick is the only place to find a franchise QB is not even close to being true. Jets fans should enjoy the season and hope that Hack keeps getting better. But if he doesnt and the Jets fall into picking in the 15-20 range, they can still find a quality QB to add to the team. 

Archived