I just don't understand some of you guys

Pennington

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Pennington said:

I am a long time lurker who just joined to get my thoughts out there.

Welcome to posting.  The more voices the better.

Sorry but I just do not understand how any Jets fan can be happy with winning these meaningless games.

Why am I happy when the Jets win?  Because I am a Jets Fan and I enjoy when the Jets win.  

I don't assign the same meaning or lack of meaning to them that you appear to do.

We haven't had a legitimate franchise QB since Namath

I disagree.  Ken O'Brien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez were all franchise QB's.  In each case they were either disappointing (O'Brien), injury prone (Pennington) or again, disappointing (Sanchez) but all three would qualify as "Franchise QB's" by the a generally common definition of a QB a team retains and starts for multiple years without material competition, and for whom the team builds the offense.

and this was our best chance to get one with Darnold or Rosen since Parcells stupidly told Peyton Manning he wouldn't draft him.

I'm not convinced that Darnold or Rosen will be Franchise QB's.  I'm not convinced they will both go #1/#2.  And I'm not convinced they will be the best pro QB's to come out of this draft.

Are you guys fine with being mediocre

No.  After 30+ years of dedication far beyond what is rational, I desperately want to win a Super Bowl in my lifetime.  

or worse or do you just not understand that the easiest way to win a Super Bowl is by drafting a franchise QB.

There is no "easy" way to win a Super Bowl, and no draft pick is a sure thing.  The examples of high first round failure QB's far exceeds that number of high first round success.  And there are plenty of great QB's picked elsewhere in the first round or even later.

It's the player, not the pick #.

Both Darnold and Rosen have a chance to be top of the league QBs

They also both have the chance to be Ryan Leaf or Mark Sanchez.  

And since fans who thought we were tanking, thought we were the worst team in the NFL, have clearly missed the mark on talent evaluation for OUR team, why should we trust their talent evaluation on college players?

but we have screwed ourselves out of a chance to draft either of them because we won meaningless games with a 38 yr old journeyman QB in McCown.

So you see no chance we can draft a franchise QB outside of picks #1 or #2?  I would not agree with such an absolute position.

There is nothing to be excited about

On the contrary, the vast majority of our team right now is young players with potential futures for this organization.  Only McCown, Forte (not playing) and Kerley (a #3 for now) are amongst the old and useless crowd.

and every Jets fan should be livid with the garbage wins.

Why, will it turn the victories into losses, make rainbows shoot out of Bowles ass, and turn my glassware into gold?  

If not, why be mad?  It is what it is.  I enjoy being in contention as long as possible, and you simply never know.  The odds are, of course, vastly against a playoff run, but if we make one, I will enjoy it.  

The Draft is next year.  Many many things will happen before then.  Why invest emotionally to such a degree in such a unsure investment so far off?  

Gastineau Lives and others who agree with him are the smart ones while the guys who rip into him are being incredibly short sighted.

If we were the GM, and if NFL teams actually tanked (they don't), you might have a legitimate point.

Now go ahead and rip into me for not being a "true fan" for wanting bigger and better things for this franchise over garbage wins in a lost season.

Why would I rip you, your post, while clearly passionate and angry, was not rude, was not immature, was not overly condescending.

I would guess, like some others, you are a younger fan.  One whose "era" so far has been vastly more successful than the 1980's and 1970's Jets ever were, and a Jets Era that places them in the top half of the league in general success.  Which makes the level of anger so odd, you'd think it's be us old folks who would be so angry.....

You're entitled to your view, and to enjoy what you enjoy, and hate what you hate.  Right now, you hate the Jets.  That's your right.

Some of us choose to love them even now, and we'll worry about the future when it's time comes.  We know we do not control it either way, we know (or many of us did) we were never going to be bad enough to get the #1 or #2 pick, and we know those picks are not solve-all's anyway.  

In fact, Darnold may fall.  No one knows.  He keeps playing poorly, he may drop to pick 4.  Or 5.  Or 10.  No one knows for sure, so why be angry about it now?

Maybe Baker Mayfield turns out to be this drafts A. Rodgers.  Or Falk becomes this drafts Big Ben.  We can't know yet.

What we do know is this darft is supposed to be the greater QB talent draft since 1983.  As many as 6 or more QB's could go in the top half of the first round.

And almost assuredly one will come to us.  Who?  No idea.  Neither do you.  Will they succeed?  No idea, neither do you.

So no need for anger.  Enjoy the moment, as the future will be what it will be no matter how angry you get.  

1 hour ago, Pennington said:

Sorry but I just do not understand how any Jets fan can be happy with winning these meaningless games. We haven't had a legitimate franchise QB since Namath and this was our best chance to get one with Darnold or Rosen since Parcells stupidly told Peyton Manning he wouldn't draft him.

Are you guys fine with being mediocre or worse or do you just not understand that the easiest way to win a Super Bowl is by drafting a franchise QB. Both Darnold and Rosen have a chance to be top of the league QBs but we have screwed ourselves out of a chance to draft either of them because we won meaningless games with a 38 yr old journeyman QB in McCown.

There is nothing to be excited about and every Jets fan should be livid with the garbage wins. Gastineau Lives and others who agree with him are the smart ones while the guys who rip into him are being incredibly short sighted.

Now go ahead and rip into me for not being a "true fan" for wanting bigger and better things for this franchise over garbage wins in a lost season.

No draft is pick is a guarantee, haven't we seen enough 1st round busts for a lifetime as a Jets fan...

What if Darnold stays in school.   

Should we suck every year and always hope for next years draft pick.

The Jets motto is 'THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT YEAR" in case you haven't heard. 

The Jets seem to always pick the wrong guy regardless of what round it is with a few exceptions. 

I will never ever root for my team to lose, its not how I roll. 

Sorry but I just do not understand how any Jets fan can be happy with winning these meaningless games. We haven't had a legitimate franchise QB since Namath and this was our best chance to get one with Darnold or Rosen since Parcells stupidly told Peyton Manning he wouldn't draft him.

Are you guys fine with being mediocre or worse or do you just not understand that the easiest way to win a Super Bowl is by drafting a franchise QB. Both Darnold and Rosen have a chance to be top of the league QBs but we have screwed ourselves out of a chance to draft either of them because we won meaningless games with a 38 yr old journeyman QB in McCown.

There is nothing to be excited about and every Jets fan should be livid with the garbage wins. Gastineau Lives and others who agree with him are the smart ones while the guys who rip into him are being incredibly short sighted.

So what are you saying, you want the Jets to suck? I think it's great that the Jets have enough young talent win games.  BTW, these aren't meaningless games they are tied for first.  So put your Brady jersey on and root for the Pats this Sunday, obviously that is who you want to win.

8 minutes ago, Pennington said:

If Petty or Hackenberg were playing and were the reason why we were winning their would be no complaints. Instead we are squeezing by bad teams with a 38 yr old journeyman throwing to vet receivers.

I fully expect this dope of a GM to spend big like a fool next offseason in free agency and bring back McCown only to see the team fall apart with no top QB in the next draft.

hahahha good one this fan base complains about everything !!!!

I was one of the first ones here all in on the tank this year. Macc got rid of the high priced vets. Traded Sheldon for a draft pick. But once the season starts you can't root against your own players. You can't root against the kids that will be the foundation of this Franchise for years to come. 

Could you complain about McCown being here? Sure. But you can't develop an o line, wrs and running backs without a borderline competent QB. That's what mccown is. As it turns out there are some really AWFUL teams in the NFL that allowed us to win.

Now we're playing real teams the next few weeks. If we are truly going nowhere, we'll lose a bunch of games and finish with a top ten pick. We can always trade up to get a QB we like. This will be a very deep QB draft class. Maybe we won't get a Manning or Luck, but we could still land a rivers or big Ben type. 

Hey man I tried talking sense to some , all the gramps just ganged up on me . There no talking sense to some of these people . My thread on the pats game is a gold mine .

Darnold,Rosen, and Allen are the only QBs worth picking in round one in my opinion. I am not down on Allen at all because he is playing with high school players. I saw enough of him last year to take a shot with him.

I wouldn't touch Falk, Mayfield, or Jackson. As for this idea that Mac will trade up I just don't see it. Cleveland isn't passing up a QB this time around and neither would SF. Not that ultra conservative Maccagnan would have the balls to make a dramatic move like this anyway.

Your screen name tells a lot about how you feel about winning. You clearly want a  a 9-7  and 10-6 record every other year and getting blown out in big games.

download.jpg

26 minutes ago, Pennington said:

If Petty or Hackenberg were playing and were the reason why we were winning their would be no complaints. Instead we are squeezing by bad teams with a 38 yr old journeyman throwing to vet receivers.

I fully expect this dope of a GM to spend big like a fool next offseason in free agency and bring back McCown only to see the team fall apart with no top QB in the next draft.

I literally said the same thing about playing the kids and winning and it made some of these scrubs cry , they love mcclown that much

13 minutes ago, Pennington said:

You know what beloved, you won't find a Jet fan that doesn't agree with you about Petty or Hack . The problem is, Petty gets injured always at the wrong time and Hack just isn't ready for prime time .  It took 2 years in Gailey's offense before he got a chance and he was OK at best . Him being okay allowed him to see NFL schemes and gave him the advantage he got going against 2nd and 3rd string defenses in his 1st season irunning Morton's offense ..  This is Hack's 1st season running Morton's offense, and he looked okay going against 2nd and 3rd stringers and uncomfortable going against 1st stringers . He looked lost going against the Eagles last year in preseason .

I saw improvement from Last year in Gailey's offense against the eagles to Morton's offense this season and the kid's still extremely young . Do you folks realize that Christian Hackenberg is younger than Wentz, Goff, Prescott, and Carr  ?

2 minutes ago, Pennington said:

Exactly why I wanted Hack to start. He would have pretty much guaranteed us the first pick in the draft.

Not only that but if the miracle of him being good and a franchise qb could be figured out this year . Now we have to wait longer to find that out. You only find out if he's good playing in live games that matter which is the regular season. 

1 hour ago, Drums said:

While I agree that it would be better to lose enough to pick one of the QBs, everyone acts like what we say/do/feel about the wins and losses has ANYTHING to do with how this team plays.  At this point, whatever happens this season happens and I am done caring either way.  I am rooting to beat the Pats on Sunday and after that I couldn't care less what happens.  It's the only game I wanted to win this year and was hoping for 1-15, but hey, that hasn't happened so let's cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

I think we should do some paradiddles and ratamacues on the op's head Drums, what do you think?

49 minutes ago, rangerous said:

no ripping from me but there is less chance that darnold or rosen or whomever will be a franchise qb in this draft than the bills making the playoffs.  the whole point is that what we are seeing is a team developing and wins (even though they seem meaningless) are part of that.  it's not going to make much difference in drafting a darnold or a rosen if the rest of the team isn't somewhat set.  sanchez was successful because he was drafted into a team that was ready to play.  same thing can be said about brady.  when he started the patsies were ready to start playing.  same thing with chaddy.  consider this.  would you rather see petty or hack (assuming they are the qb for next season) playing behind the sieve that the jet oline is?  he'd get clobbered.  on the other hand mccown gives the oline a chance to develop as well as the receivers.  don't get me wrong, i'd rather see petty or hack stating but i do see the reasoning behind using mccown.

What you say makes sense but do you really think bubba is thinking like that? The guy picks mccown because to him it's the best chance in winning , he doesn't give a damn about developing players , the guy could get fired tomorrow . 

4 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

What you say makes sense but do you really think bubba is thinking like that? The guy picks mccown because to him it's the best chance in winning , he doesn't give a damn about developing players , the guy could get fired tomorrow . 

Kinda hard to develop receivers when the QB doesn't know the offense and can't get the ball to them. 

4 minutes ago, Maddog45 said:

How do you develop an offensive line when a QB can't call audibles or adjust line assignments just yet. How do you develop wr's and Te's  confiidence when a QB isn't 100% comfortable going through progressions and setting blitz pickups.  This is why McCown is starting. The Oline whom most here bashed all preseason has gelled pretty well , would that have happened if Hack or Petty started form the get go. 

I want to see what our young QB's have , their time is coming, a foundation needed to be established first.

I can't wait to see go defense in round one next draft for the millionth straight time.

It’s obvious that you have been lurking for a long time, you have all of the standard posts down pat.  Congratulations!

1 hour ago, Maddog45 said:

Hey man I tried talking sense to some , all the gramps just ganged up on me . There no talking sense to some of these people . My thread on the pats game is a gold mine .

TRUTH: With age comes wisdom and experience

TRUTH: If the "gramps" are jumping on you, you are probably either inexperienced in the matter or just plain wrong. Listen to old guys, you can get quite an education

2 hours ago, slats said:

I'm not convinced that McCown is the best QB on the roster. He made a credible effort to blow the Jags game. 

THIS. At a loss how looking at his stats and the games themselves McCown is somehow the best choice. Simply he is the most braindead risk averse choice. Now he may be a genuinely nice guy,  but so what. The QB decision should be what's best for the franchise and now going on 2 seasons we have almost no idea if Petty or Hackenberg might be capable of being a starter or a backup. That is criminal mismanagement. 

They were never, ever going to win just 1 or 2 games. People underestimate the monumental difficulty of losing that many games. I said 6-10 from the start and that's where I'm getting they end up. So you may as well enjoy a few wins because the pipe dream of #1 or 2 overall was never happening.

Phillip Rivers is a Franchise QB and near HOFer . Matthew Stafford is a franchise QB . Both were drafted in the 1st round  and neither have a SB ring .   Kurt Warner was an Undrafted free agent  and he's in the HOF . Tom Brady was a 6 round pick and is a HOFer  . Drew Brees was a 2nd round pick and has a SB ring . Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick and has a SB ring . Here's an interesting one for a thinking man . Peyton Manning was the 1st overall pick , has 2 SB rings and is a sure fire HOFer .  Exactly what did he do to earn both of those rings other than being on a team whose defense rose up and help him become a champion .
Teams win championships .  It helps a great deal if you don't have to hide your QB along the way, but your QB don't have to be a 1st round pick, just capable .
Peyton Manning's teams won 12 plus games for a decade.we have won 12 games a single time in 60 years.

Yes teams win championships, but having the QB position solidified helps that greatly. You need a QB in this league, drafting at the top of the draft doesn't garuntee it but it sure helps.

I'm tired of not having consistency at QB.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, The Walrus said:

Well said.

This attitude of just needing to get a franchise QB then sit on our ass for 15 years while the Lombardi's roll in is ignorance and folly.

Andrew Luck, "the most NFL ready quarterback" as it was touted at the time of drafting, has no ring and frankly not seeing one in his near future either without a better cast around him.

You need a total organisation. Front office, scouting, good coaching plus the players of which sure, the QB is the biggest factor, IMO.

Seattle are a good example. They finally got a franchise QB, but, they got a good long term coach with surrounding coaches on the same page, they set up a supporting cast in defense which means the QB doesn't have to carry the team week in and out. Their front office seems good.

So what you're saying is that it's an awfully hard tusk to find a quarterback, Mr. Walrus.

42 minutes ago, sciond said:

how long have you been a fan...

Plenty is absolutely not accurate

50 years. Like I said they have had some really good teams. '81 and '82(AFC Title game), '85 and '86, 12-4 in '98(AFC Title game), 10-6 in '01, 10-6 in '04,  10-6 in '06, plus back to back AFC title games in '09 and '10. My point being many here make it seem like its all 3-13 seasons of pain. There have been some good ones too. 

3 hours ago, Pennington said:

You are not a true fan.

Just now, RevisIsland610 said:

50 years. Like I said they have had some really good teams. '81 and '82(AFC Title game), '85 and '86, 12-4 in '98(AFC Title game), 10-6 in '01, 10-6 in '04,  10-6 in '06, plus back to back AFC title games in '09 and '10. My point being many here make it seem like its all 3-13 seasons of pain. There have been some good ones too. 

50 here as well

5 or 6 good seasons out of 50 is not plenty

only 3 at most 4 of those years did I think we had a chance for the Superbowl.

3 hours ago, Pennington said:

Sorry but I just do not understand how any Jets fan can be happy with winning these meaningless games.

This is the crux of the issue. Why do you care how others root for the Jets. Anyone's rooting preference has no outcome on anything. You root for losses and another fan roots for victory. What does it matter. You have issue with what fans root for? If so why?

Shouldn't your issue be with the team? For not doing enough to lose. Be angry at the Jet team. You should no issues with other fans 

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

If the Pats steamroll the Jets on Sunday, some of the stubborn die-hards might come around to the realization that they are wasting their time rooting for a team to go 6-10 for the umpteenth time.

Some of us will never root for the Jets to lose. We are fans, rooting against the Jets is not something I (and most of us) will ever do.

There is no guarantee that losing games gets the QB that everyone claims is out there. So let's go Jets.

Beat the Pats.

Archived