Am I the only one that wants Eric Ebron as our first rounder?

BroadwayJets

Agreed.  But TE in the first round for us would be like cutting off your junk because someone told you it would grow back bigger.  

Believe me, I learned the hard way on that one.

But seriously, I don't know what Idzik has to do with our general managers in the past or Ebron has to do with Johnny Mitchell or Kyle Brady.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vernon Davis is really good. Why would this be a bad thing? Not saying I want Ebron but we could do worse than a Vernon Davis clone.

Vernon Davis was invisible for his first few years in the league and was a 1st round/6th overall pick bust.   Even now, he is not among the very best TE's in the game and, while a good piece, he is not the key to the 49er's offense.  No thanks as a round 1 pick redux.

Vernon Davis was invisible for his first few years in the league and was a 1st round/6th overall pick bust.   Even now, he is not among the very best TE's in the game and, while a good piece, he is not the key to the 49er's offense.  No thanks as a round 1 pick redux.

He put up 850 yards and 13 tds this year in 15 games: besides Graham, Gonzo and Gronk, I'm not sure how many other TEs around the league are doing that.  Have you seen San Fran when he's not in the game? Their offense is pretty anemic.  I don't have the numbers now, but his production from when Smith was throwing to him compared to Kaep was pretty markedly different.  He's elite and the argument against adding elite talent because the team isn't good enough seems completely backwards. 

It's not that Ebron isn't the goods, but more the fact the Jets are offensively 2 to 3 years away from benifiting from a V Davis type TE, and need to use the 18th overall pick on a much more sound foundation type position, and if Ebron is the BAP at 18 then the Jets should probably trade back, and accumulate more picks so they will be in a position to afford to gamble on a freak at TE in Rd 1 in 2, or 3 years. This team is not 1 TE away offensively now. I reserve the right to change my mind if the Jets go BIG in free agency filling every hole with solid talent, but even then I would still take a more sound foundation type player, but would not be pissed about it.

THIS. If somehow Ebron is BAP then jets should trade back. No tight ends in first round please. Ebron drops too many passes anyway Jets have enough of that.

Vernon Davis was invisible for his first few years in the league and was a 1st round/6th overall pick bust. Even now, he is not among the very best TE's in the game and, while a good piece, he is not the key to the 49er's offense. No thanks as a round 1 pick redux.

You're out of your mind. He's a top 5 TE in the league and a major weapon for the 49ers. This team isn't going to be very good the next few years. If the best player available is a tight end that turns into a Vernon Davis type, you do it or you trade back.

Just for giggles...

3 of the top 7 players ranked by receiving TDs were TEs this season.  I think the whole "don't draft a TE in round 1" thing might be a bit antiquated.  How many times do we have to see Gonzalez, Gates, Gronk, Graham (that's weird, isn't it), Davis and now Julian Thomas and Jordan Cameron before we start to recognize that a TE can be a major part of an NFL offense.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-5/One-Site-Eight-Draft-Picks-for-the-Jets/3036bea8-b7bb-4c93-ad8d-8bf42ba9d2f3

One Site, Eight Draft Picks for the Jets

Posted Feb 12, 2014

Charlie Frankel Reporter

Three weeks ago, we presented nine different opinions on whom the New York Jets could select with their 18th overall pick in May’s NFL Draft. Today, we’re giving you eight new predictions, but all from one source: drafttek.com.

What is Drafttek? It’s a website that uses 32 analysts (one for each NFL team) and a proprietary computer model to produce a seven-round mock draft. As such, it should give fans a more complete picture of the people and positions that the Jets may be targeting beyond the first day.

Round 1 — WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M

Of course, we will still start at the beginning where, in line with a few predictions from our initial group of experts, Drafttek has us taking a wide receiver. With Clemson’s Sammy Watkins and USC’s Marqise Lee already off the board, the Jets select Evans.

As a sophomore, the 6’5, 225-pound receiver hauled in 69 receptions for 1,394 yards (20.2 average) and a dozen touchdowns. He played some of his best games against A&M’s toughest opponents, too. His combined statistics in two games vs. Alabama and Auburn, for instance: 18 receptions, 566 yards, 5 touchdowns.

“If Geno Smith is to make a leap in Year 2, then finding him a better supporting cast has to be this team's top priority,” writes Rich Tinley, their Jets analyst. “Mike Evans is a huge target that will tower over most corners. The former high school basketball star uses that size to his advantage in jump balls and contested catches. He did a pretty good job of adjusting to less-than-precise throws and became something of a safety blanket for Johnny Manziel.”

Round 2 — TE Troy Niklas, Notre Dame

Tight end is the next position up for the Green & White. With both Jeff Cumberland and Kellen Winslow Jr. possibly becoming free agents next month, Niklas could fill an offensive need. His statistics are underwhelming with 37 collegiate receptions, but some believe the converted outside linebacker has the size and athleticism to succeed at the NFL level.

Drafttek: “He's more of a conventional TE, the best blocker in this class, but he also has lots of scope to really improve in the passing game. At 6'6" and 270, he can be an every-down player, something that may really appeal to Rex Ryan more than most."

Round 3 — RB Bishop Sankey, Washington, and S Craig Loston, LSU

Thanks to last offseason’s Darrelle Revis trade, we will have two selections (assuming Revis remains on Tampa Bay’s roster three days into the new league year). Following the trend of Picks 1 and 2, our third selection is also a player from an offensive skill position in the form of Sankey.

The 5’10”, 200-pounder averaged just over 25 carries per contest this season, scored at least one rushing touchdown in each of his team’s 13 games and was held under 90 yards on the ground just twice. He’s the best at his position by Drafttek’s rankings, and he’d team up with current RBs Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell to make one heck of a trio.

Eleven picks later, their mock draft has us flipping to the other side of the ball to provide some safety depth with Loston out of LSU. The 6’2”, 205-pounder earned AP All-SEC second-team honors in both his junior and senior seasons, despite missing three games due to injury this past year. He finished his career with 148 tackles (seven for loss) and seven interceptions in 45 games, 24 of them starts.

Round 4 — T JaWuan Jones, Tennessee

After Loston, it’s time to go back to offense, but this time Drafttek has the Jets looking to the trenches with James, a 6’6”, 324-pounder listed as a right tackle. James set a UT offensive line record with 49 starts over his four years with the Vols. He was named to the AP All-SEC second team and played in this year’s Senior Bowl as well.

Rounds 5-7

As for the back end of the mock draft, it’s a mixed bag for the Jets. Wyoming WR Robert Herron (5’10”, 187), Florida LB Ronald Powell (6’4”, 244) and QB Logan Thomas (6’5”, 254) out of Virginia Tech are our fifth-, sixth- and seventh-round Drafttek selections, respectively.

Without a doubt, these names will change in the three months between now and the NFL Draft on May 8, and we’re in no position to claim that Drafttek’s hypotheses are any better than another source you may stumble upon. Still, it’s always interesting to talk about the what-ifs, and it can never hurt to start familiarizing ourselves with the players of the NFL's future one mock draft at a time.

holy crap, what a dream that would be, where do we sign ?

Just for giggles...

3 of the top 7 players ranked by receiving TDs were TEs this season.  I think the whole "don't draft a TE in round 1" thing might be a bit antiquated.  How many times do we have to see Gonzalez, Gates, Gronk, Graham (that's weird, isn't it), Davis and now Julian Thomas and Jordan Cameron before we start to recognize that a TE can be a major part of an NFL offense.

Exactly. 

when this whole thing started I was anti-Ebron, purely on the Jets first round TE curse alone. 

However watching his tape and considering he might run a 4.4, if he makes it to 18 he's of value and he's a physical freak. 

That's what Idzik will do in rd1 he will take the best available freak athlete who falls. If it's Eric Ebron I'm cool with it. 

You're out of your mind. He's a top 5 TE in the league and a major weapon for the 49ers. This team isn't going to be very good the next few years. If the best player available is a tight end that turns into a Vernon Davis type, you do it or you trade back.

Not even close to top 5 at #14, statistically.  And during his first 3 years in the league he averaged only 34 catches and just 377 yards per season.  That is some #6 overall pick.  The only teams worse than the 49er's in passing last season were the Jets and the Bucs, so how much of an impact does he really make?  But don't let the facts get in the way...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=TIGHT_END&season=2013&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=1&qualified=false&Submit=Go

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2013&seasonType=REG

Not even close to top 5 at #14, statistically.  And during his first 3 years in the league he averaged only 34 catches and just 377 yards per season.  That is some #6 overall pick.  The only teams worse than the 49er's in passing last season were the Jets and the Bucs, so how much of an impact does he really make?  But don't let the facts get in the way...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticPositionCategory=TIGHT_END&season=2013&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=1&qualified=false&Submit=Go

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2013&seasonType=REG

What statistic are you using to come up with #14? 

6th in total yards

1st in Avg yds/catch

2nd in TDs

If you're using receptions that's a pretty thin argument since he was also 14th in targets.  Can't catch what isn't thrown to you.  SF simply didn't pass as much (416 attempts for Kaep compared to over 600 for six different teams) but he still managed to do more with less.

Davis may have underachieved his first few seasons but he was a total stud this year (not even considering he was injured and missed one full game).

What statistic are you using to come up with #14? 

6th in total yards

1st in Avg yds/catch

2nd in TDs

If you're using receptions that's a pretty thin argument since he was also 14th in targets.  Can't catch what isn't thrown to you.  SF simply didn't pass as much (416 attempts for Kaep compared to over 600 for six different teams) but he still managed to do more with less.

Davis may have underachieved his first few seasons but he was a total stud this year (not even considering he was injured and missed one full game).

The NFL site uses combined stats, so he is what he is.  Boldin is the big weapon on the 49ers by a wide margin, not Davis, and there is a reason he gets the bulk of the targets. Davis is very replaceable in the 49ers offense.  

I did not say Davis sucked and described him as a "solid piece"in my first post.  But the guy has been absolutely uneven his entire career and is in no way, shape or form worthy of his draft position given his entire body of work.  He is an above average TE by any measure.  Nothing more. So far as him being a stud last season, again, not even close to reality. His one and only year of being a "stud" and a major factor in the 9ers offense was 2009.  He is a long effin' way from being from a top 5 TE.

Even though we are picking at 18 and not 6, I still would not use the pick on Ebron.  

When I watch Ebron, I sort of see Winslow Jr. as a prospect who was pick 6th overall by the Browns. Winslow is almost the exact size at 6'4, 247. They move the same so I expect Ebron to matches his 4.55 speeders at some point (combine or pro day).

But for some reason I like the prospect from Texas Tech. more so then Ebron although I feel Ebron is the safer prospect. But with all that said it would be a bad day to not come out the 1st without Lee or Evans.

When I watch Ebron, I sort of see Winslow Jr. as a prospect who was pick 6th overall by the Browns. Winslow is almost the exact size at 6'4, 247. They move the same so I expect Ebron to matches his 4.55 speeders at some point (combine or pro day).

But for some reason I like the prospect from Texas Tech. more so then Ebron although I feel Ebron is the safer prospect. But with all that said it would be a bad day to not come out the 1st without Lee or Evans.

Preach on, brother.  If we are going to take a receiver, I am in the Amen Section for Evans.

when this whole thing started I was anti-Ebron, purely on the Jets first round TE curse alone.

However watching his tape and considering he might run a 4.4, if he makes it to 18 he's of value and he's a physical freak.

That's what Idzik will do in rd1 he will take the best available freak athlete who falls. If it's Eric Ebron I'm cool with it.

Now I definitely don't want him.

He put up 850 yards and 13 tds this year in 15 games: besides Graham, Gonzo and Gronk, I'm not sure how many other TEs around the league are doing that.  Have you seen San Fran when he's not in the game? Their offense is pretty anemic.  I don't have the numbers now, but his production from when Smith was throwing to him compared to Kaep was pretty markedly different.  He's elite and the argument against adding elite talent because the team isn't good enough seems completely backwards. 

Yeah - Davis is a top TE. I honestly thought that was common knowledge.

Also more on board with ASJ than any of the rumored first round TEs. ASJ is massive, athletic, and started off as the top TE in this draft anyway so he's not lacking pedigree. 

At 6'5" 230 lbs Mike Evans could line up at TE 4-5 time per game and be a #1 WR.

He will be a nightmare to defend

Evans couldn't block as an in-line tight end, it makes no sense to line him up there. Just play him out of the slot like Jimmy Graham and Hernandez and you'll get the mismatches that you want.

I would rather Lee over any of these receiving prospects. Think if Maclin goes back to Philly and Decker goes else where then we must seriously consider Lee. Evans still has much to prove in regards to his route tree and quickness. Lee seems to have it all but momentum in coming off an injured season. We better be aggressive and move up a few spots and snatch Lee before the Rams, Steelers or Raven do. I like Niklas more so in the 3rd round. But if guys like Van Noy, Gabe Jackson or a stud WR were to drop to us in the second I maybe on board in taking him in the second.

we are spending all this time debating which WR or TE the Jets are gonna take... but we haven't seen what the players will run and we haven't seen what the Jets will do in FA. This is a deep year for those 2 spots where excellent choices will be available in rd 2/3. Its a buyers market at WR this year. It's entirely possible the BAP is a freak who plays D and they go WR/TE later.  Or sign a name vet. 90% of mock drafts have them going WR and TE and not buying it at that level of confidence. 

we are spending all this time debating which WR or TE the Jets are gonna take... but we haven't seen what the players will run and we haven't seen what the Jets will do in FA. This is a deep year for those 2 spots where excellent choices will be available in rd 2/3. Its a buyers market at WR this year. It's entirely possible the BAP is a freak who plays D and they go WR/TE later.  Or sign a name vet. 90% of mock drafts have them going WR and TE and not buying it at that level of confidence. 

Definite possibility and that's the notion that I got from Rex and Idzik when they mentioned how deep a draft it is regarding the WR position. As much as I love Lee and Beckham, if you land a Sanders or a Nicks in FA and have the opportunity to say grab Clinton-Dix in the first and then turn around and grab Brandin Cooks, Matthews or a Davante Adams in the second, it might be better for the team.  Now, I'm extremely high on Lee, so I'd definitely go Lee if he were there, but that's just the type of thinking that I got from hearing them say how deep the skil position players are.

Not even close to top 5 at #14, statistically. And during his first 3 years in the league he averaged only 34 catches and just 377 yards per season. That is some #6 overall pick. The only teams worse than the 49er's in passing last season were the Jets and the Bucs, so how much of an impact does he really make? But don't let the facts get in the way...

Lol. Just lol.

Archived