Rex on Sanchez

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only way the Jets escape the butt fumble era is to completely severe ties with Sanchez...I hope Idzik realizes this.

Let him go struggle with getting the ball past d-lineman somewhere else...Canada perhaps.

Geno will show improvement this season. And more the following year. He's going to be the QB for awhile.

I don't know how good of a thing that is yet.

I do know I never want to see Sanchez start another game for the Jets.

im with you in the one time and more talent will help Geno

Per Manish: Rex wants Sanchez back

Ryan “absolutely” would like to have Sanchez back

Quarterback Mark Sanchez remains under contract with the Jets. With a $9 million base salary, a $2 million roster bonus due in late March, and 2013 second-rounder Geno Smith leading the team to an unlikely 8-8 record, it’s unlikely Sanchez will be back in 2014.

But coach Rex Ryan says he prefers that the team find a way to keep Sanchez, the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft.

“Let’s just let it play out,” Ryan said Thursday, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “I always want guys back. . . . [Would] I want him back? Absolutely. Would I want all my guys back? You guys know my answer. You know how I feel about my players. That’s just the way it is.”

With at least one unnamed coach declaring Sanchez would be said unnamed coach’s starting quarterback from Day One, it’s hard to imagine Sanchez taking less money or accepting a backup role. And while Sanchez remains the exclusive property of the Jets, its would be naive to assume that any team interested in making him the starter hasn’t found a way to make that known to Sanchez’s agents.

Even if there’s no team that wants Sanchez as a starter, he’ll be with the Jets only if he does a contract that pays him to be the presumed backup to Geno Smith. And maybe Rex would like that outcome.

Especially since it would mean that he wouldn’t have to change the jersey number on his tattoo.

“Let’s just let it play out,” Ryan said Thursday, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “I always want guys back. . . . [Would] I want him back? Absolutely. Would I want all my guys back? You guys know my answer. You know how I feel about my players. That’s just the way it is.”

two scenarios

1) they are being positive to try to raise his value for a trade

2) they are going to bring him back

if they were going to just cut him, they would have already

Well the whole reason they never would have cut him already is because of the possibility of option #1.  Given that his bonus isn't due for a few more weeks still, there's no benefit in cutting him now while there is the chance, as unlikely as it may be, that someone is willing to offer something up for him.  Might as well wait it out to see what happens.

With that said, it's possible the Jets would be willing to throw an offer at Sanchez to come back, but it would involve a MASSIVE pay cut.  You're probably talking about a number below what he could even get on the open market or they'd be willing to spend on a FA, given all of the other crap that comes along with him for the Jets (including the extra cost against the cap that he already brings).  I don't see it happening because I'm sure it wouldn't be worth it for Sanchez to take whatever lowball offer the Jets would be willing to toss his way.  I'd imagine both sides figure at this point that it's just a matter of time before he's gone, but given that the Jets are already well under the cap and they have some time before they'd really need to cut him, they'll wait it out just in case something happens to work out for them, even if no one expects it to.  Keep in mind, Idzik is the one that dragged the Revis trade negotiations on for weeks after everyone was saying he couldn't get anymore and that the Bucs were going to walk away, but he waited until the last second and it paid off for him, so I wouldn't expect him to take a different approach now, particularly when there would be no potential benefit in doing so.

You wrote a dissertation on why the police being trapped under the city of Gotham wasn't a feasible scenario for The Dark Knight Rises. I don't think you're really in a position to be sitting on your cloud of maturity judgement.

I was RIGHT THEN and I'm RIGHT NOW.

No, in fact, of the three, the only one I want to see on the Jets roster on opening day is Geno. I think Simms is waste of time and its time to move on from Sanchez. 

I would like to see a younger veteran such as Chad Henne brought into compete with Geno and mid to late round pick who can easily unseat Simms and make Geno legitimately uncomfortable. 

If you want to make Geno legitimately uncomfortable, sign Kerry Collins and give him a case of PBR.

It's a good thing that Idzik is building the roster in a way that he sees fit.  It's become clear that Rex is a very good game-planner on D but its questionable at best that he is any good at evaluating talent.  And that's OK.

Rex once said Mark Sanchez would be his QB as long as he's Jets HC.  Geno Smith being drafted flies in the face of that.

To be fair - Sanchez didn't exactly lock up the job in his 4 years, the QB depth here sucked, and then Sanchez got injured relatively early in Smith's TC. Lot of things came together for Geno to land this job and the thing that landed him here is that he was the #1 QB last year somehow available in the 2nd. It would have been foolish not to take him...

Would we really go through another year with Smith, Sanchez, Simms? Scary to think that some of us would prefer that ALL 3 are gone, yet their is a possibility that all 3 will be back.

Hope we are willing to trade up for Winston or Mariota in 2015 because 8-8 is staring us in the face again.

2014 schedule is very tough. If Eugene starts,  Jets will be lucky to go 5-11.  In fact, if Idzik has no intention of finding or drafting another qb, I would rather Sanchez return under Marty's wing. He would easily beat out Eugene for the starting job.  Not that I want Sanchez back, but I would take him over  Eugene H. Krabs.  That's how much he sucks!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27526-1376635694-10

Eugene its your agent. Jets drafted you in 2nd round.

Say what? Second round are you bleppin kidding me? You're fired!

You wrote a dissertation on why the police being trapped under the city of Gotham wasn't a feasible scenario for The Dark Knight Rises. I don't think you're really in a position to be sitting on your cloud of maturity judgement.

Dark Knight in its original work was not a children's series

2014 schedule is very tough. If Eugene starts,  Jets will be lucky to go 5-11.  In fact, if Idzik has no intention of finding or drafting another qb, I would rather Sanchez return under Marty's wing. He would easily beat out Eugene for the starting job.  Not that I want Sanchez back, but I would take him over  Eugene H. Krabs.  That's how much he sucks!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-27526-1376635694-10

Eugene its your agent. Jets drafted you in 2nd round.

Say what? Second round are you bleppin kidding me? You're fired!

Cant argue with any of the points you made. Post is spot on.

2014 schedule is very tough. If Eugene starts, Jets will be lucky to go 5-11. In fact, if Idzik has no intention of finding or drafting another qb, I would rather Sanchez return under Marty's wing. He would easily beat out Eugene for the starting job.

Only possible conclusion.

No chance Geno improves upon his rookie year. Equally unlikely that the offense improves in the second year under Mornhinweg. Virtually impossible that the Jets improve their receiving corps, or that they improve the rest of the roster with a dozen draft picks and $40-50M to spend in free agency.

No, if Geno starts in 2014, the Jets will finish with their worst record since Rex took over the team. Three game regression. Minimum.

Only possible conclusion.

No chance Geno improves upon his rookie year. Equally unlikely that the offense improves in the second year under Mornhinweg. Virtually impossible that the Jets improve their receiving corps, or that they improve the rest of the roster with a dozen draft picks and $40-50M to spend in free agency.

No, if Geno starts in 2014, the Jets will finish with their worst record since Rex took over the team. Three game regression. Minimum.

If Geno pulls a Sanchez, all your sarcasm may actually be a reality. Scary to think about but possible.

If Geno pulls a Sanchez, all your sarcasm may actually be a reality. Scary to think about but possible.

Why?  We're paying him peanuts.  We'll just send the next guy in there then prepare for the scary good 2015 QB class.

The biggest problem with Sanchez was we couldn't get out from under him because of his cap number, both off his rookie contract AND the contract extension.  This problem won't be the case with Geno.  We've been dealing with bad QB for years and years.  Another one won't matter much.  What WOULD matter is if we treated Geno like Pennington and Sanchez, handing him a giant extension.  In short, not happening under Idzik.

As far as "pulling a Sanchez" goes, the Jets improved by two wins from Sanchez's rookie to second year, even despite us agreeing that he is absolutely awful.  Not to mention, the Jets also improved by two wins from Sanchez's fourth year to Geno's rookie year. So in what way is it a reasonable assumption that the Jets would lose three more games in the situation you are attempting to compare?  As much as you hate Geno, you have to know there's not even the slightest bit of logic in assuming he'll actually perform worse next year.

Archived