Revis on the block?

Matt39

But it would be funny if he'd re-sign for $10M.

Jets get him off the books in 2013, when we were going nowhere anyway, to have a clean slate in 2014.

Jets get Sheldon Richardson.

Jets get Revis back a year later.

So, basically, we get paid to let him rehab in Tampa.  That would be a hoot.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant see another team picking up that contract. Could be wrong but thg only way i see him getting traded is if he takes s pay cut first unless there is a team that is willing to bssicslly do a one year rental at 16M. Otherwise he might be @gasp@ cut. Could happen with zero desd money implications.

Call me crazy, but that doesn't make sense to me.  In my mind, trading him is something you do because of his cap hit.  If he's willing to re-work his deal, why would the Bucs trade him.  Absolutely abhorrent human being, but a damn good CB.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4155/darrelle-revis

After conversations with coach Lovie Smith, the Tampa Tribune doesn't see the Bucs trading Darrelle Revis.

"We’re primarily going to be a man team," Smith said. "Whether we win or lose is going to be based on how we play man coverage." That's Revis' strong suit. Smith is going to adapt his defense to his players' skill set, as opposed to forcing a square peg (Revis) into a round hole (zone coverage). While teams may have been feeling out the Bucs and their intentions for Revis, we can't see them dealing the best cornerback in the game unless they're blown away by an offer.

No body is making a trade for Revis at $16,000,000.

Revis made the Pro Bowl, but it was on name recognition.  He played OK in a zone defense.  About mid season he said it was OK to play in a zone, because he wasn't healed 100%, and wasn't sure he could handle a press right now, but he'd be 100% by next year.

Not exactly what you want to hear from a player who was injured over a year ago, and everyone said  would be 100% by opening day, when you are thinking of spending 16 million.

Call me crazy, but that doesn't make sense to me.  In my mind, trading him is something you do because of his cap hit.  If he's willing to re-work his deal, why would the Bucs trade him.  Absolutely abhorrent human being, but a damn good CB.

No we agree i am saying catch 22. Unlikely to be traded unless he restructures but if he restructures the bucs will likely not trade him. I could see him refusing to deal, get cut, likely pass waivers, and then he can pick the best situation (most $$$$$) for him.

No we agree i am saying catch 22. Unlikely to be traded unless he restructures but if he restructures the bucs will likely not trade him. I could see him refusing to deal, get cut, likely pass waivers, and then he can pick the best situation (most $$$$$) for him.

That's the only way Revis  moves.

It would be so cool if Revis came back for 8-9 million

So all these trade offers are based on the fact that Revis will take an 8-9 million dollar pay cut?

LOL   Good luck with that

I do fear that he takes a bit of a paycut and winds up on the Patriots.  He's usually greedy, but he's also a guy who would like to screw Woody over.    And he really didn't have some great relationship with Idzik.      So imagine winding up on the Patriots at 8-9 mil per year and the Jets wind up not getting a 3rd round pick for him.   He is greedy, but he's also a guy who probably would love to screw Woody over.  And as much as I hate the Pats,  they have been to the AFC Championship 3 years in a row.

I do fear that he takes a bit of a paycut and winds up on the Patriots.  He's usually greedy, but he's also a guy who would like to screw Woody over.    And he really didn't have some great relationship with Idzik.      So imagine winding up on the Patriots at 8-9 mil per year and the Jets wind up not getting a 3rd round pick for him.   He is greedy, but he's also a guy who probably would love to screw Woody over.  And as much as I hate the Pats,  they have been to the AFC Championship 3 years in a row.

I don't know why you'd write that once, much less twice. I don't see any evidence that he has any want, need, or desire to screw over Woody. Seems to me that he has just two motivations in life: to be the best, and be paid like the best.

I don't know why you'd write that once, much less twice. I don't see any evidence that he has any want, need, or desire to screw over Woody. Seems to me that he has just two motivations in life: to be the best, and be paid like the best.

Pretty much. While he and Woody may not be vacationing any time too soon, Woody paid Revis as the highest paid CB in the league for a couple of years and then traded him to a team that ended up paying him like a QB. The only reason Revis would hold grudges against anyone is if they somehow screwed him out of money.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Teams that want Revis have narrow window to pry him from Bucs

Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2014, 7:18 AM EST

RevisAP

Rumors and speculation persist that teams like the Patriots and Broncos could be interested in trying to get the Buccaneers to trade cornerback Darrelle Revis and his $16 million in total compensation for 2014.

If anything is going to happen, it need to happen fairly soon.

As of March 13, the Bucs would need much more to justify the move. On that date, the third day of the new league year, Revis earns a $1.5 million roster bonus — and the final draft pick the Buccaneers owe the Jets upgrades from fourth-round pick to a third-round selection.

While a team like the Pats or Broncos could have a hard time absorbing the $16 million under their 2014 cap, the recent increase in the base rate for each team of $10 million coupled with the ability in the Revis contract to unilaterally convert salary to signing bonus would give his new team more flexibility.

Last year, Revis took to Twitter to say he was “speechless” about the notion that the Jets were reportedly thinking about trading him. This year, Revis has remained silent.

Of course, Revis likely realizes it’s not his current team that is initiating the buzz. The question over the next eight days is whether another team can persuade the Buccaneers to save $16 million in cash, to keep their third-round pick, and to acquire whatever the best offer would be to move Revis to a team that has a better chance to contend in 2014. And that has better uniforms.

On the uniform issue, that would be every other team. In the NFL, the CFL, and the Arena League.

Archived