Dustin Keller visiting Patriots

Lizard King

Dustin Keller visiting Patriots

Posted by Josh Alper on April 30, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjAP

On Tuesday, Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowskisaid that it was too early in his rehab from a torn ACL to make any predictions about his availability for Week One.

On Wednesday, the Patriots are meeting with a player that could help them weather any absence from Gronkowski. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the team is visiting with Dustin Keller.

Keller’s ability to be a placeholder or contributor of any kind will be largely dependent on the condition of his own knee. Keller dislocated his right knee and tore his ACL, MCL and PCL in a preseason injury while with the Dolphins last year and missed the entire regular season. Keller’s agent recently said his client is “ready to go,” so his visit to New England could lead to something more if the Patriots agree with that assessment.

Keller averaged 48 catches a year during his five seasons with the Jets and, assuming he regains pre-injury form, his arrival would give the Patriots a seasoned pass catcher who could have value in their offense whether or not Gronkowski was also in the lineup.

Funny, I dont remember he throwing the ball to the other team when he got hurt.  Guess it did not hurt that bad

Agreed.  That is the obvious barometer for real pain. Just throw the ball back into the field of play in a tight game because you hurt yourself.

Any time someone doesn't throw ball like that, it just doesn't hurt that bad. 

I like Beli's only hope of improving his team is falling back to ex JETS retreads coming of injuries to improve his team. Good thing Kraft still has the refs in his pocket which as well all know is good for atleast 2 wins!

Pats need Captains for the coin flips at the Jets games.

If he doesn't make it back from his injuries maybe he can get a job with the Mets as the new Mister Met. With the size of his head,  it would only take some makeup and not even have to use the fake head anymore...(thanks to Mark Sanchez for this inspired post)

Remember when the Pats signed Chris Baker and he was going to excel with Brady throwing him the ball? 

Keller is a solid TE.  Maybe was, that knee injury sounded horrific.  He is a perfect example of the eyeball test being questionable.  I remember watching clips of him at Purdue and he looked like a running back after the catch.  I think he wore #28 and he was spinning and running after the catch like a beast.  In the NFL he tended to trip over yardlines ala' Eric Smith.

Remember when the Pats signed Chris Baker and he was going to excel with Brady throwing him the ball? 

Keller is a solid TE.  Maybe was, that knee injury sounded horrific.  He is a perfect example of the eyeball test being questionable.  I remember watching clips of him at Purdue and he looked like a running back after the catch.  I think he wore #28 and he was spinning and running after the catch like a beast.  In the NFL he tended to trip over yardlines ala' Eric Smith.

"First round talent".  Words I hope I never hear again.

I remember Keller having decent hands with Sanchez throwing to him.

That injury sounds like he tore everything you could in a knee joint.

Yeah he f-ed up the knee in BOTH left feet, which I hope he "accidentally" steps on Gronk's toe to sideline him for 10 games or so.

Keller has shown flashes of being good.

I do not recall Baker ever being good.

Keller has shown flashes of being good.

I do not recall Baker ever being good.

Neither do I, but when he signed with the Pats around here you'd have thought he was Dave Casper. Baker was a legitimate player, but JAG level. Without looking at the numbers I think of a durable Cumberland as far as level, thought Cumberland is fast and fragile and Baker was a slug. 

Keller was definitely a bit of a disappointment, but I don't think he's nearly as bad as the rep he's gotten around these parts the last couple of years.  After all, he still was the Jets' leading receiver for most of his years here.

Besides, if nothing else you've always got to appreciate that play in OT vs the Pats his rookie year.  Obviously long since past, but that was freakin' awesome.

Yeah he f-ed up the knee in BOTH left feet, which I hope he "accidentally" steps on Gronk's toe to sideline him for 10 games or so.

:rl:

You expect Gronk to be available for 10 games?  :rl:  I wish.

He is going to be PUP'd and stroll in at the last possible moment. 

My guess is week 11 after the bye.   

Keller's knee swung in a windmill motion, he had three shredded ligaments...the knee had the range of motion of a shoulder....so yeah, it got blown up. I would not put too much stock in Keller, the stability of that knee will weigh on him as it did for RG3 last year, thus he will be hesitant and that is no good.

LL

Hes taking it up a notch.

Kraft is in discussion with Fireman Ed to be lifetime honorary Captain for the Pats when they play the Jets.

I cannot decide are you the douche or the fact it sounds so natural that Kraft would do something desperate like that the douche in this scenario. Actually both!

Archived