Jace Amaro doesn't want to be Ditka (MERGED)

RSJ

CORTLAND — It’s not too soon for the Jets to tell Jace Amaro to get his act together.

While the big tight end is a rookie and it’s only the middle of August, Amaro is too important to their hopes this season for the Jets to let him keep practicing and playing in what too often seems like a disinterested fog.

The Jets thought they were getting the 6-foot-5, 265-pound matchup nightmare who set an NCAA record for tight ends last year with 106 catches for 1,352 yards.

What they’ve gotten so far instead is a guy with unreliable hands who comes off as both passive and overwhelmed by the transition from the Big 12 to the NFL.

The Jets were hoping for their own version of Rob Gronkowski, but that seems like a pipe dream if Amaro keeps up this aimless pace.

Rex Ryan tried to send the message nicely last weekend after a couple of halfhearted displays in the preseason opener, saying Amaro should go watch old tapes of Mike Ditka to see what a tight end can do when you marry desire with Amaro’s skill set.

But Amaro brashly dismissed Ryan’s suggestion Monday, telling The Post “I’m not going back 30 years to see how Ditka played” because Amaro’s ultimate goal is to be imitated and not do any imitating himself.

Bad move.

As well as being a poor student of NFL history (Ditka’s Hall of Fame playing career with the Bears, Eagles and Cowboys ended in 1972), Amaro showed poor form in brushing off his well-meaning coach.

And where is that attitude on the field?

Amaro was kicked out of Texas Tech’s bowl game two years ago for throwing a punch, but he hasn’t shown much fight in practice or in the first preseason game when the ball is in the air or he’s expected to block someone.

Amaro’s poor blocking — incongruous to his huge frame — was no secret. It’s the main reason the Jets were able to get him in the second round and why two other tight ends, Eric Ebron and Austin Seferian-Jenkins, were taken ahead of him in the draft despite Amaro’s record numbers.

The Jets were willing to accept Amaro’s blocking deficiencies because he can line up all over the field and they had visions of him posting Gronkowski-like receiving numbers in an offense that has lacked weapons for far too long.

Amaro could still do all that, obviously, but the early returns are disconcerting.

It became even more worrisome Tuesday when the incumbent tight end, Jeff Cumberland, left practice with what the Jets later said was tightness in his Achilles tendon. Not what the Jets wanted to hear about a player who recently tore his other Achilles.

If Cumberland is out for any significant length of time, tight end could be an even bigger black hole than it was last season and for what seems like forever with the Jets unless Amaro gets his head on straight.

The trio of Cumberland, Kellen Winslow Jr. and Zach Sudfield combined for 62 catches for 849 yards and six touchdowns last year. Three tight ends around the league had more catches than that by themselves in 2013, while five tight ends singularly posted more yards.

So it’s not as if Amaro has a high bar to climb, and the 138 catches he had in just 2 ¹/₂ college seasons shows he has the talent to be the reliable outlet Geno Smith desperately needs.

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg indicated Tuesday Amaro’s biggest problem has been learning the playbook, saying “smoke was coming out of [his] ears and eyeballs” early in camp.

That’s positive, because familiarity comes with time and Amaro is considered a sharp guy.

But the Jets’ public soft pedal with Amaro should stop. It’s not too early for some tough love.

CORTLAND — It’s not too soon for the Jets to tell Jace Amaro to get his act together.

While the big tight end is a rookie and it’s only the middle of August, Amaro is too important to their hopes this season for the Jets to let him keep practicing and playing in what too often seems like a disinterested fog.

The Jets thought they were getting the 6-foot-5, 265-pound matchup nightmare who set an NCAA record for tight ends last year with 106 catches for 1,352 yards.

What they’ve gotten so far instead is a guy with unreliable hands who comes off as both passive and overwhelmed by the transition from the Big 12 to the NFL.

The Jets were hoping for their own version of Rob Gronkowski, but that seems like a pipe dream if Amaro keeps up this aimless pace.

Rex Ryan tried to send the message nicely last weekend after a couple of halfhearted displays in the preseason opener, saying Amaro should go watch old tapes of Mike Ditka to see what a tight end can do when you marry desire with Amaro’s skill set.

But Amaro brashly dismissed Ryan’s suggestion Monday, telling The Post “I’m not going back 30 years to see how Ditka played” because Amaro’s ultimate goal is to be imitated and not do any imitating himself.

Bad move.

As well as being a poor student of NFL history (Ditka’s Hall of Fame playing career with the Bears, Eagles and Cowboys ended in 1972), Amaro showed poor form in brushing off his well-meaning coach.

And where is that attitude on the field?

Amaro was kicked out of Texas Tech’s bowl game two years ago for throwing a punch, but he hasn’t shown much fight in practice or in the first preseason game when the ball is in the air or he’s expected to block someone.

Amaro’s poor blocking — incongruous to his huge frame — was no secret. It’s the main reason the Jets were able to get him in the second round and why two other tight ends, Eric Ebron and Austin Seferian-Jenkins, were taken ahead of him in the draft despite Amaro’s record numbers.

The Jets were willing to accept Amaro’s blocking deficiencies because he can line up all over the field and they had visions of him posting Gronkowski-like receiving numbers in an offense that has lacked weapons for far too long.

Amaro could still do all that, obviously, but the early returns are disconcerting.

It became even more worrisome Tuesday when the incumbent tight end, Jeff Cumberland, left practice with what the Jets later said was tightness in his Achilles tendon. Not what the Jets wanted to hear about a player who recently tore his other Achilles.

If Cumberland is out for any significant length of time, tight end could be an even bigger black hole than it was last season and for what seems like forever with the Jets unless Amaro gets his head on straight.

The trio of Cumberland, Kellen Winslow Jr. and Zach Sudfield combined for 62 catches for 849 yards and six touchdowns last year. Three tight ends around the league had more catches than that by themselves in 2013, while five tight ends singularly posted more yards.

So it’s not as if Amaro has a high bar to climb, and the 138 catches he had in just 2 ¹/₂ college seasons shows he has the talent to be the reliable outlet Geno Smith desperately needs.

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg indicated Tuesday Amaro’s biggest problem has been learning the playbook, saying “smoke was coming out of [his] ears and eyeballs” early in camp.

That’s positive, because familiarity comes with time and Amaro is considered a sharp guy.

But the Jets’ public soft pedal with Amaro should stop. It’s not too early for some tough love.

ebron

yawn...

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- New York Jets rookie tight end Jace Amaro was called out Saturday by coach Rex Ryan, who wants Amaro to be more aggressive going after passes. Looking back at his first game, Amaro agreed.

He’s right. He drafted me because he knows I can make plays on the ball, and that’s what he wants me to do," the second-round pick said Sunday. "There’s really no excuse for it. He’s absolutely right. I just have to go out there and play better.”

Amaro caught two passes for 18 yards in the preseason opener, but he should have finished with four receptions, according to Ryan. Amaro said if Ryan is “willing to give me the ball in space and wants me to get the ball and touch the ball, you have to make sure you do it, especially when the head coach is calling you out like that.”

In response to Ryan suggesting Amaro watch tapes of Hall of Fame tight end Mike Ditka, Amaro admitted he didn't watch a lot of NFL growing up. He pointed to Wes Welker and Michael Crabtree, both of whom attended Texas Tech, as players he studied as a kid.

“They’ve shown me stuff from a route-running standpoint that I’ve taken into my game, so I feel good about what they’ve shown me,” said Amaro, who caught 106 passes for Texas Tech last season.

Other than being more aggressive, Amaro believes he played well against the Indianapolis Colts and that things are finally starting to click, claiming he “didn’t make any mental errors” and performed well in run blocking situations.

“A lot of these guys have been with it for one or two years already, so you just have to pick it up and pick it up quick,” he said. “I feel like it’s finally clicking for me. I know what to do on every single play, so right now I feel pretty good about it.”

I didn't like the Amaro selection because considering the O he came out of, it seemed obvious he was going to struggle as a rookie, and the fans were going to turn on him.   Much like Hill.

He still has the natural talent, that if he took to the coaching, and realized his current limitations, he could still contribute this season, and perhaps develop into a good TE next year, or the following.

Publicity blowing off his coach, while he is playing like crap, is a very bad sign for his future development.  If he is going to get that easily offended I can't wait to see what is going to happen when the fans start booing, and throwing beer on him in the tunnel.   

He's essentially going to have to learn a new position in the NFL which will include growing pains, I get that.  However, the one thing he was supposed to be able to do (catch the fooball) is something he's also struggling with.  If this article isn't fabricated BS and he's really saying this stuff...it makes me question how bad he wants to get better.  Again..huge IF in terms of how/what was said, and how it's presented.

I didn't like the Amaro selection because considering the O he came out of, it seemed obvious he was going to struggle as a rookie, and the fans were going to turn on him.   Much like Hill.

He still has the natural talent, that if he took to the coaching, and realized his current limitations, he could still contribute this season, and perhaps develop into a good TE next year, or the following.

Publicity blowing off his coach, while he is playing like crap, is a very bad sign for his future development.  If he is going to get that easily offended I can't wait to see what is going to happen when the fans start booing, and throwing beer on him in the tunnel.   

Not sure how his situation was much like Hill.  The guy caught 120 passes last season lining up all over the place.  Hill caught 30 passes his entire career in college.  Very different situations.

He's essentially going to have to learn a new position in the NFL which will include growing pains, I get that.  However, the one thing he was supposed to be able to do (catch the fooball) is something he's also struggling with.  If this article isn't fabricated BS and he's really saying this stuff...it makes me question how bad he wants to get better.  Again..huge IF in terms of how/what was said, and how it's presented.

He has small hands for a big man. The NFL football is bigger than the college ball. I'm not surprised that he's struggling to make catches.

I just don't understand why the Jets can't pick a sure thing on the offensive side of the ball. it's like they're allergic. I like Pryor, but we'd have been better off with Brandin Cooks. instead, they gamble on an Amaro. it's like the NBA guy who is trying to draft the next superstar from Belgium nobody saw coming instead of just taking the awesome point guard everyone knows about from Louisville.

So in a draft where the Jets desperately needed offensive weapons it looks like there are zero draft picks who will contribute on offense this year. GREAT JOB IDZIK. The jets don't employ one person who can pick offensive players. Not one. 

lol Wut?

I didnt read that he said that about Rex's advice.

Dont like.

Meh. It's the same stupid, short-sighted immature cockiness that makes a guy like Dee Milliner refuse to admit anyone is better than him. Same sh*t. It's called being a 20 year old male.

The fact that he blew off something Rex said just makes me laugh, because this is the dynamic that Rex has cultivated. His towel-snapping, one-of-the-guys handling of the players forfeit's his position as a respected advisor. So, when he tries to step out of the cool Dad role and tell a guy to get a dose of history and respect for the position I'm not surprised the player blows it off... Rex has the same dumb arrogance, and with dumb young guys they don't know how NOT to be influenced to be the same way.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/12/jets-amaro-get-that-mike-ditka-tape-out-of-here/

Jets’ Amaro dismisses Rex Ryan’s Ditka advice

amaroquestion.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1

Jets rookie tight end Jace Amaro balked at coach Rex Ryan's suggestion he take cues from a rugged predecessor.

CORTLAND — Rex Ryan’s recent suggestion that Jace Amaro get playing tips from old Mike Ditka game films got a chilly reception from the rookie tight end Monday.

“I’m not going back 30 years to see how Ditka played,” Amaro told The Post after finishing another day of training camp at SUNY Cortland. “I know the way he played and the kind of character he is.”

Ryan offered the suggestion last weekend, after Amaro caught two passes in the Jets’ preseason opener against the Colts. The Jets coach thought Amaro could have had two other receptions if he had been more aggressive.

“Give him tapes of Mike Ditka or something and say, ‘This is how we want you to play,’ ” Ryan said Saturday. “Recognize you’re a big guy. You need to be a bully out there. When that ball’s thrown up, you’ve got to go catch it. I don’t care where it is.”

Ditka was a Hall of Fame tight end for the Bears, Eagles and Cowboys, revolutionizing the position with his combination of toughness, receiving and blocking in an age when tight ends were little more than glorified linemen.

Modal Triggerditkate.jpg?w=420

Mike Ditka in action for the Chicago Bears in 1966 against the Green Bay PackersPhoto: AP

A second-round pick from Texas Tech, Amaro has endured a rough first NFL training camp, injuring his knee and suffering through some drop-filled practices.

Ryan thinks the 6-foot-5, 265-pound Amaro could be just as dominant as Ditka was, but Amaro said he has little use for comparisons.

“You don’t really want to look into it too much,” Amaro said. “You want to be your own player. You don’t want to [imitate] anyone else who has played. I want to be the guy who someone decades from now says, ‘That guy plays like Amaro.’ ”

Under fire for hoarding space under the salary cap, GM John Idzik said Monday reports that the Jets have $21 million in cap room “aren’t entirely accurate.”

If you want to nitpick, Idzik was right. The NFL Players Association keeps a running total — updated daily — of every team’s cap space on its website, and the Jets’ figure as of Monday afternoon was $21.116 million.

Ryan defended the Jets’ tightfisted spending by saying the NFL isn’t the same as Major League Baseball, which has no ceiling on player salaries.

“If you could spend like the Yankees, trust me, we would have an All-Star team,” Ryan said of Jets owner Woody Johnson. “Our owner would say, ‘All right, let’s go for it.’ There are fiscal responsibilities.”

from the other thread

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- New York Jets rookie tight end Jace Amaro was called out Saturday by coach Rex Ryan, who wants Amaro to be more aggressive going after passes. Looking back at his first game, Amaro agreed.

He’s right. He drafted me because he knows I can make plays on the ball, and that’s what he wants me to do," the second-round pick said Sunday. "There’s really no excuse for it. He’s absolutely right. I just have to go out there and play better.”

Amaro caught two passes for 18 yards in the preseason opener, but he should have finished with four receptions, according to Ryan. Amaro said if Ryan is “willing to give me the ball in space and wants me to get the ball and touch the ball, you have to make sure you do it, especially when the head coach is calling you out like that.”

In response to Ryan suggesting Amaro watch tapes of Hall of Fame tight end Mike Ditka, Amaro admitted he didn't watch a lot of NFL growing up. He pointed to Wes Welker and Michael Crabtree, both of whom attended Texas Tech, as players he studied as a kid.

“They’ve shown me stuff from a route-running standpoint that I’ve taken into my game, so I feel good about what they’ve shown me,” said Amaro, who caught 106 passes for Texas Tech last season.

Other than being more aggressive, Amaro believes he played well against the Indianapolis Colts and that things are finally starting to click, claiming he “didn’t make any mental errors” and performed well in run blocking situations.

“A lot of these guys have been with it for one or two years already, so you just have to pick it up and pick it up quick,” he said. “I feel like it’s finally clicking for me. I know what to do on every single play, so right now I feel pretty good about it.”

Amaro has two catches for 18 yards in the preseason.

Eric Decker has 2 catches for 12 yards in the preseason.

Perhaps Decker should go back and watch grainy film clips of Crazy Legs Hirsch.

Rex is an idiot.

Decker played 12 snaps on Thursday night, Amaro played 42.

from the other thread

This guy (like Geno)came out of one of those bogus NCAA offenses that have nothing to do with pro ball and people are expecting him to go out in is first game and light it up. Pass the Xanax.

Ugh. This stuff is just the worst. Taking one sentence out of an entire paragraph and making it a headline insinuating blatent defiance and disrespect. I sincerely wish people wouldn't even post this crap or buy into it for a second. This is exactly the reaction the writer is hoping for when they wrote it.  This is a complete non story. We're one preseason game in to the guys career.

it took me a while too so I suppose it's natural  lol

Archived