jgb

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look what Mark Sanchez can do with a little bit of help

By Steve SerbyNovember 3, 2014 | 10:30am

Eagles can't stop raving about Mark Sanchez

They might be calling him Señor Savior in Philadelphia.

Mark Sanchez doesn’t have to worry about Tony Sparano sending Tim Tebow in to run the wildcat. He doesn’t have to worry about playing garbage time in the Snoopy Bowl. He doesn’t have to worry about throwing the ball to Stephen Hill. He doesn’t have to hear “Buttfumble” taunts from the stands.

There is, after all, a division title to win.

And he might have to win it for the Eagles.

Nick Foles went out with a broken collarbone Sunday and Señor Savior — the artist formerly known as Sanchize — saved the 6-2 Eagles in Houston.

Sanchez came off the bench in the second quarter to throw a pair of TD passes — one of the two interceptions was not his fault — and engineered a clutch 15-play, 80-yard, fourth-quarter TD drive that consumed more than eight minutes.

Sanchez sealed his own fate in New York with his 52 turnovers in his last two seasons as a Jet. But he will have a chance to state his case now. He didn’t get to throw the ball to Jeremy Maclin in New York. He didn’t get to hand off to LeSean McCoy. He didn’t play for a brilliant offensive head coach like Chip Kelly.

Rex Ryan might want to keep that tattoo. Sanchez will be in hot demand on the free-agent market after the season. Good for him.

All the rookie WRs the Jets don’t have

Yes, Jets GM John Idzik recently added a talented playmaker in Percy Harvin — too late for Rex Ryan, too late for Geno Smith, too late to save the season.

There was an abundance of wide receivers in the draft who could have helped the Jets, but Idzik drafted Jalen Saunders (already an ex-Jet) and Shaq Evans (on IR) in the fourth round and Quincy Enunwa (practice squad) in the sixth round.

Now read this and weep, Jets fans — a list of rookie wide receivers making an impact this season:

Sammy Watkins (Bills): 38 catches, 590 yards, five TDs

Mike Evans (Bucs): 32 catches, 460 yards, four TDs

Odell Beckham Jr. (Giants): 10 catches, 106 yards, three TDs

Kelvin Benjamin (Panthers): 40 catches, 589 yards, five TDs

Brandin Cooks (Saints): 43 catches, 470 yards, two TDs

Jordan Matthews (Eagles):32 catches, 313 yards, three TDs

Donte Moncrief (Colts): 16 catches, 216 yards, one TD

John Brown (Cardinals): 24 catches, 326 yards, four TDs

Allen Robinson (Jaguars): 43 catches, 488 yards, two TDs

Jarvis Landry (Dolphins): 30 catches, 301 yards, three TDs

Martavis Bryant (Steelers): 10 catches, 107 yards, five TDs

Davante Adams (Packers): 24 catches, 263 yards, two TDs

criminal bungling of draft by idziot

By Steve SerbyNovember 3, 2014 | 10:30am

Eagles can't stop raving about Mark Sanchez

They might be calling him Señor Savior in Philadelphia.

Mark Sanchez doesn’t have to worry about Tony Sparano sending Tim Tebow in to run the wildcat. He doesn’t have to worry about playing garbage time in the Snoopy Bowl. He doesn’t have to worry about throwing the ball to Stephen Hill. He doesn’t have to hear “Buttfumble” taunts from the stands.

There is, after all, a division title to win.

And he might have to win it for the Eagles.

Nick Foles went out with a broken collarbone Sunday and Señor Savior — the artist formerly known as Sanchize — saved the 6-2 Eagles in Houston.

Sanchez came off the bench in the second quarter to throw a pair of TD passes — one of the two interceptions was not his fault — and engineered a clutch 15-play, 80-yard, fourth-quarter TD drive that consumed more than eight minutes.

Sanchez sealed his own fate in New York with his 52 turnovers in his last two seasons as a Jet. But he will have a chance to state his case now. He didn’t get to throw the ball to Jeremy Maclin in New York. He didn’t get to hand off to LeSean McCoy. He didn’t play for a brilliant offensive head coach like Chip Kelly.

Rex Ryan might want to keep that tattoo. Sanchez will be in hot demand on the free-agent market after the season. Good for him.

All the rookie WRs the Jets don’t have

Yes, Jets GM John Idzik recently added a talented playmaker in Percy Harvin — too late for Rex Ryan, too late for Geno Smith, too late to save the season.

There was an abundance of wide receivers in the draft who could have helped the Jets, but Idzik drafted Jalen Saunders (already an ex-Jet) and Shaq Evans (on IR) in the fourth round and Quincy Enunwa (practice squad) in the sixth round.

Now read this and weep, Jets fans — a list of rookie wide receivers making an impact this season:

Jesus Serby is a ******* doosh.

:hand:

If Sanchez had the exact same game he had yesterday while wearing a Jets uniform half the people defending him in this thread would be calling for his benching (Tom Shane I am looking in your direction.)

Any win that Sanchez delivered to the Jets fans I was grateful.

It is a shame that the Jets bungled his career so horribly, with such inept coaching, that he didn't have a chance to show what he was capable of.

If, again if, Sanchez delivers W's for the Ehgles, it will be another indictment against those that say "but Rex never had a chance with a QB". 

Any win that Sanchez delivered to the Jets fans I was grateful.

It is a shame that the Jets bungled his career so horribly, with such inept coaching, that he didn't have a chance to show what he was capable of.

If, again if, Sanchez delivers W's for the Ehgles, it will be another indictment against those that say "but Rex never had a chance with a QB". 

Sanchez did plenty of bungling on his own. 

Face it-If Mark Sanchez proves to be "mediocre" talent at worst in this league, it leaves a bit of egg on the Jets face. It would point to coaching more than anything else, and particularly decisions to yoyo Sanchez back and forth one year with Tebow and to put Sanchez in harm's way in a meaningless pre-season game.

There was good and bad with Sanchez, and more bad, I understand. But the Jets did him no favors either, and it was not the best career building program they nurtured him under.

Again, if he succeeds this year, even in a short stretch, it is not a glowing endorsement of how the Jets handled him. 

I hear what you were saying and I was never one of those who bought into the nonsense that Sanchez would be out of the league in no time like some around here were claiming.  He's not particularly good, but in today's NFL he's nowhere close to the worst of what exists at the QB position.  I said from the moment there were talks of him being cut that he would have a backup job in the NFL as long as he wanted it and, if not for his history with the team and insane contract, would have even been a good fit for the Jets as their backup.  I completely agree the Tebow nonsense was a complete joke and a disaster how it was handled by the team, and that wasn't the only thing.  On the other hand, he's got plenty of failures that are completely on him which he in no way deserves any lenience on, even if he does seem to correct these issues under a different coaching staff.  While it might be further proof of Rex's incompetence, it will also further proves Sanchez's desperate need for hand-holding and inability to address issues that he should be taking care of himself, which has been noted throughout his career.  There's no excuse for spending 5 years of your career throwing every single slant pass to the back shoulder of your receivers, causing a constant string of uncatchable balls, inability to gain yards after the catch, and otherwise beaten defenders easily jumping routes on what is supposed to be the simplest pass in the NFL.

More than anything what I find laughable is when you see the same people contradicting themselves by completely changing who they are blaming for the same things based on how it fits their current agenda.  A couple of years ago it was all Sanchez's fault that the Jets weren't more successful under Rex, but now it's all Rex's fault that the Jets weren't more successful under Sanchez?  As difficult as it seems to grasp for a great number of Jets fans out there, it's actually possible for them to both to suck completely independent of one another.  It's actually the most likely answer to all of this, yet some refuse to accept such an idea.

Now I'm not saying you or your views fall into this category, but it's undoubtedly been running rampant through this thread, which was the reason for my original comments.  It's definitely a wait and see type scenario that could tell us more as time goes by, but yet here we are with a thread filled with people pounding their chests in victory because of one mediocre game that was worse than many games he had during his time with the Jets.

You mean the same staff that managed to win 20 games Sanchez's first two years in spite of his ridiculously below average play?

More relevantly to today's discussion, the staff that is now under .500 in total career wins, can't seem to make any decisions that better the play of the team, is in a tail spin that is historic to the Jet franchise (imagine that!) and can't seem to understand today's game.

Yes, that staff.

More relevantly to today's discussion, the staff that is now under .500 in total career wins, can't seem to make any decisions that better the play of the team, is in a tail spin that is historic to the Jet franchise (imagine that!) and can't seem to understand today's game.

Yes, that staff.

Ok, so bad coaching staff meets bad QB and lack of success ensues. Your point?

Sanchez was sh*tty all by himself and arguably held this team back those first two years. Two GMs and the coaching staff have made bad personnel decisions and a once promising team has now been gutted and is hitting rick bottom. 

I hate people who pretend Sanchez was in any way not responsible for the debacles of 2011 and 2012. 

I hear what you were saying and I was never one of those who bought into the nonsense that Sanchez would be out of the league in no time like some around here were claiming.  He's not particularly good, but in today's NFL he's nowhere close to the worst of what exists at the QB position.  I said from the moment there were talks of him being cut that he would have a backup job in the NFL as long as he wanted it and, if not for his history with the team and insane contract, would have even been a good fit for the Jets as their backup.  I completely agree the Tebow nonsense was a complete joke and a disaster how it was handled by the team, and that wasn't the only thing.  On the other hand, he's got plenty of failures that are completely on him which he in no way deserves any lenience on, even if he does seem to correct these issues under a different coaching staff.  While it might be further proof of Rex's incompetence, it will also further proves Sanchez's desperate need for hand-holding and inability to address issues that he should be taking care of himself, which has been noted throughout his career.  There's no excuse for spending 5 years of your career throwing every single slant pass to the back shoulder of your receivers, causing a constant string of uncatchable balls, inability to gain yards after the catch, and otherwise beaten defenders easily jumping routes on what is supposed to be the simplest pass in the NFL.

More than anything what I find laughable is when you see the same people contradicting themselves by completely changing who they are blaming for the same things based on how it fits their current agenda.  A couple of years ago it was all Sanchez's fault that the Jets weren't more successful under Rex, but now it's all Rex's fault that the Jets weren't more successful under Sanchez?  As difficult as it seems to grasp for a great number of Jets fans out there, it's actually possible for them to both to suck completely independent of one another.  It's actually the most likely answer to all of this, yet some refuse to accept such an idea.

Now I'm not saying you or your views fall into this category, but it's undoubtedly been running rampant through this thread, which was the reason for my original comments.  It's definitely a wait and see type scenario that could tell us more as time goes by, but yet here we are with a thread filled with people pounding their chests in victory because of one mediocre game that was worse than many games he had during his time with the Jets.

I actually liked Rex his first couple of years. Thought it was a breath of fresh air.

Then came the loss to Pittsburgh in the 2nd year, and the jets were an unprepared football team. They treated NE as their Super Bowl. All my thoughts of course, but it spoke to Rex and his inability to command emotions of the team.

Just like himself, this team is a microcosm of their coach, seemingly undisciplined, able to do something stupid at any time, not learning from mistakes, and taking each game as the pinnacle or the abyss, not the even keel approach that is needed.

Rex Ryan, nice guy, but not a leader to see you to the ultimate goal.

I think Sanchez got caught up in this bi-polar act and it did not help.

There's some quality reporting for you.  This list not only includes players that were already off the board before the Jets picked, but of the 12 players on it, only 4 have more receptions than Jace Amaro.

Ok, so bad coaching staff meets bad QB and lack of success ensues. Your point?

Sanchez was sh*tty all by himself and arguably held this team back those first two years. Two GMs and the coaching staff have made bad personnel decisions and a once promising team has now been gutted and is hitting rick bottom. 

I hate people who pretend Sanchez was in any way not responsible for the debacles of 2011 and 2012. 

And I hate people who dismiss all blame from Rex Ryan.

Sanchez was surrounded by Rex's choices at WR. The offensive line was neglected in favor of Rex's choices on defense in the draft. 

I agree with you, just think it's hilarious that you can point out that Sanchez wasn't given help, while ignoring Rex's role in ruining the supporting cast around the kid.

Yeah I've heard this a million times.

Problem is I don't buy it...  like at all... 

It's a lot easier not to get frustrated with you and your ilk when you realize you really have convinced yourselves that Rex ran the draft and signed all the FA's.  It's such a silly premise but if that's what you need to tell yourselves so be it.

I actually liked Rex his first couple of years. Thought it was a breath of fresh air.

Then came the loss to Pittsburgh in the 2nd year, and the jets were an unprepared football team. They treated NE as their Super Bowl. All my thoughts of course, but it spoke to Rex and his inability to command emotions of the team.

Just like himself, this team is a microcosm of their coach, seemingly undisciplined, able to do something stupid at any time, not learning from mistakes, and taking each game as the pinnacle or the abyss, not the even keel approach that is needed.

Rex Ryan, nice guy, but not a leader to see you to the ultimate goal.

I think Sanchez got caught up in this bi-polar act and it did not help.

Oh yeah, that Steelers game really was the beginning of the end without question and I really thought that applied to both of them.  The team's preparation for that game by Rex was unforgivable, but as was Sanchez personally handing the Steelers' 7 points in a 5 point game to close the half.  I was admittedly a supporter of both of them before that, but neither one of them ever seemed to mentally recover from that sh*t show.

Oh yeah, that Steelers game really was the beginning of the end without question and I really thought that applied to both of them.  The team's preparation for that game by Rex was unforgivable, but as was Sanchez personally handing the Steelers' 7 points in a 5 point game to close the half.  I was admittedly a supporter of both of them before that, but neither one of them ever seemed to mentally recover from that sh*t show.

Sanchez was the best Jet on the field in both AFC Championship Games, Rex Ryan gets a pass for blowing the lead in Indy the year before but committed the unforgivable sin of being completely unprepared for Pittsburgh the following year.

If you sat down and put pen to paper to figure out a way to destroy a second year QB prospect who'd shown some promise you couldn't have executed it any better than the Jets did. Unqualified offensive coordinator, check. No playmakers, check. No investment in offensive draft picks, check. Flirt with Peyton Manning, check. Tim Tebow sideshow, check.

Rex Ryan is The Devil.

SAR I

Mark Sanchez is a pretty damning statement against Rex Ryan, and I'm a Rex Ryan fan lately. Like the uncle who always shows up and gives you the coolest, unexpected toy for Christmas every year, Rex Ryan is just cool (in his own way).

But Mark Sanchez is a franchise quarterback today if he was drafted by a better environment.

You can't fake what he did in the play offs, and he did it against healthy football teams. It wasn't like he got lucky.

Yeah I've heard this a million times.

Problem is I don't buy it...  like at all... 

It's a lot easier not to get frustrated with you and your ilk when you realize you really have convinced yourselves that Rex ran the draft and signed all the FA's.  It's such a silly premise but if that's what you need to tell yourselves so be it.

How many 1st rounders were used, and became busts, on defense?

Me and my ilk. 

GFY

Mark Sanchez is a pretty damning statement against Rex Ryan, and I'm a Rex Ryan fan lately. Like the uncle who always shows up and gives you the coolest, unexpected toy for Christmas every year, Rex Ryan is just cool (in his own way).

But Mark Sanchez is a franchise quarterback today if he was drafted by a better environment.

You can't fake what he did in the play offs, and he did it against healthy football teams. It wasn't like he got lucky.

You're a Pats fan, right?

FTR, I've always said that Sanchez would be starting in the league somewhere when he was 30 or so. Dude was immature and was in possibly the worst environment in the league for his personality type. If Kelly got him to take the game seriously and to understand the nuances of the position, while not asking him to be a Drew Brees-type analytical thinker, he's going to look good.

FTR, I've always said that Sanchez would be starting in the league somewhere when he was 30 or so. Dude was immature and was in possibly the worst environment in the league for his personality type. If Kelly got him to take the game seriously and to understand the nuances of the position, while not asking him to be a Drew Brees-type analytical thinker, he's going to look good.

By good you mean, flashes enough to make you think he could be the answer, but then proceeds to throw two crippling INTs directly to the opposing team that makes you throw the remote at the tv?  I think Kelly and the Eagles are talented enough to make up for Mark's errors in order to get to the playoffs, but when he has to win a game by himself or the offense doesn't bail him out, I don't think it's gonna happen. He's not that kind of guy.  

I think Kelly and the Eagles are talented enough to make up for Mark's errors in order to get to the playoffs

Yet Rex Ryan and the Jets were not able to do it as they they "nurtured" Sanchez? What does that tell you?

Sanchez actually regressed under Ryan. 

Everyone said "give Rex at least a good quarterback". That is what he does to them.

Yet Rex Ryan and the Jets were not able to do it as they they "nurtured" Sanchez? What does that tell you?

Sanchez actually regressed under Ryan. 

Everyone said "give Rex at least a good quarterback". That is what he does to them.

They got to the playoffs twice with Mark and failed, exactly as I just predicted he would with Kelly and the Eagles. How is this any different? I don't suspect Chip and Philly will give him four years, but I wouldn't be surprised if the outcome was extremely similar. 

Mark regressed because he was given more responsibility as the team worsened, not some black magic voodoo by Rex.  I'm not absolving Rex, I'm just calling a spade a spade, Sanchez isn't a good quarterback.

I hope Mark does well, but it was never going to work here. The coaching was awful and the crowd was going to kill him (and he gave us no excuse not to). I still think the Jets handled his exit very poorly and that there was a much better way to do it, but he did still end up with a great landing spot.  Guys like him will always get opportunities because of where they were drafted as long as they want to play in the NFL. 

Archived