Which of the seven new NFL head coaches was the best hire ? ? ?

kelly

When Dan Quinn could finally accept the Atlanta Falcons' head-coaching job after Super Bowl XLIX, there were no more NFL vacancies.With the coaching carousel stopped (unless we get an unexpected firing this offseason), it's time to take a look at the seven teams that made a change, and figure out which team made the best hire. We're not just looking at the coach himself, but also if the team improved itself by firing its old coach and bringing in new blood:

7. Jim Tomsula, San Francisco 49ers

Tomsula might be the next Don Shula; I have no idea. But what we know now is this: The 49ers ran off Jim Harbaugh, who has been incredibly successful at every stop and a top 5 NFL coach, top 10 at worst. And they replaced him with a defensive line coach who has been a NFL head coach for one game, as an interim. There’s a lot to live up to there.

6. Jack Del Rio, Oakland Raiders

I felt bad for the Raiders fans when the “Jon Gruden will take the Raiders job! No, it’ll be Jim Harbaugh!” madness was happening. That was not realistic, but good job by their agents parlaying that into a lot of money for their clients. What the Raiders did get is a solid coach with a good reputation as a coordinator and some head-coaching experience (68-71 with the Jacksonville Jaguars, who have cratered since he was fired), and most important – Del Rio wanted the job. I’m not sure this was a grand slam hire or anything, but it was probably as good as the Raiders could have done.

5. Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons

I’m always a bit leery of just taking the coordinator from the top unit. It’s probably unfair to Quinn, but it’s also fair to wonder how he’ll do without Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Bobby Wagner, Michael Bennett, K.J. Wright, Cliff Avril … you get the idea. His players love him, he came off very well during Super Bowl week, and he was a hot name. We’ll see if Atlanta made the right hire.

4. Gary Kubiak, Denver Broncos

it was hard to pick between Kubiak and Fox. Fox has had better success, but how much of that was due to John Elway landing Peyton Manning? Kubiak has been a tremendous coordinator through the years, and was a solid head coach in Houston. But we have to factor in if the move was an upgrade, and well, was it?

3. John Fox, Chicago Bears

While Fox had a ton of success with Manning, he also won division titles with Jake Delhomme and Tim Tebow at quarterback. So maybe he’s better suited to win with an average quarterback like Jay Cutler than we generally give him credit for. He could end up being a great hire if he fixes the Bears defense, but that might take a miracle.

2. Todd Bowles, New York Jets

I’m ranking Bowles ahead of two guys who have won 180 games between them as NFL head coaches. This is a bit of blind faith, but I believe. Bruce Arians got a lot of credit for the Cardinals’ success, and rightfully so, but what about the defensive coordinator who lost Darnell Dockett to injury, John Abraham to retirement, Daryl Washington to suspension and Karlos Dansby to free agency and kept rolling right along? His schemes are very creative, he has a dynamic personality – I just think he’s going to be a very good head coach.

1. Rex Ryan, Buffalo Bills

I give Ryan the top spot for two reasons: I think Ryan is a heck of a coach, and Buffalo wasn’t the easiest sell. The Bills have no quarterback (prove me wrong, EJ Manuel!) and haven’t been to the playoffs this century. If you take that job, you're also entering a tough division. But they landed Ryan, a brilliant defensive Xs and Os coach who also is a good motivator. He was given a talent-poor roster the past few years with the Jets and did a pretty good job getting the most out of it. This was a really good hire for the Bills.

> http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/which-of-the-seven-new-nfl-head-coaches-was-the-best-hire--164437970.html

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a brilliant defensive Xs and Os coach

He was given a talent-poor roster the past few years with the Jets and did a pretty good job getting the most out of it.

HA HA HA HA HA!

Needed a good laugh today!

I'm trying not to worry about the writer's mental state. We've missed 4 straight years.

When Dan Quinn could finally accept the Atlanta Falcons' head-coaching job after Super Bowl XLIX, there were no more NFL vacancies.With the coaching carousel stopped (unless we get an unexpected firing this offseason), it's time to take a look at the seven teams that made a change, and figure out which team made the best hire. We're not just looking at the coach himself, but also if the team improved itself by firing its old coach and bringing in new blood:

7. Jim Tomsula, San Francisco 49ers

Tomsula might be the next Don Shula; I have no idea. But what we know now is this: The 49ers ran off Jim Harbaugh, who has been incredibly successful at every stop and a top 5 NFL coach, top 10 at worst. And they replaced him with a defensive line coach who has been a NFL head coach for one game, as an interim. There’s a lot to live up to there.

6. Jack Del Rio, Oakland Raiders

I felt bad for the Raiders fans when the “Jon Gruden will take the Raiders job! No, it’ll be Jim Harbaugh!” madness was happening. That was not realistic, but good job by their agents parlaying that into a lot of money for their clients. What the Raiders did get is a solid coach with a good reputation as a coordinator and some head-coaching experience (68-71 with the Jacksonville Jaguars, who have cratered since he was fired), and most important – Del Rio wanted the job. I’m not sure this was a grand slam hire or anything, but it was probably as good as the Raiders could have done.

5. Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons

I’m always a bit leery of just taking the coordinator from the top unit. It’s probably unfair to Quinn, but it’s also fair to wonder how he’ll do without Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Bobby Wagner, Michael Bennett, K.J. Wright, Cliff Avril … you get the idea. His players love him, he came off very well during Super Bowl week, and he was a hot name. We’ll see if Atlanta made the right hire.

4. Gary Kubiak, Denver Broncos

it was hard to pick between Kubiak and Fox. Fox has had better success, but how much of that was due to John Elway landing Peyton Manning? Kubiak has been a tremendous coordinator through the years, and was a solid head coach in Houston. But we have to factor in if the move was an upgrade, and well, was it?

3. John Fox, Chicago Bears

While Fox had a ton of success with Manning, he also won division titles with Jake Delhomme and Tim Tebow at quarterback. So maybe he’s better suited to win with an average quarterback like Jay Cutler than we generally give him credit for. He could end up being a great hire if he fixes the Bears defense, but that might take a miracle.

2. Todd Bowles, New York Jets

I’m ranking Bowles ahead of two guys who have won 180 games between them as NFL head coaches. This is a bit of blind faith, but I believe. Bruce Arians got a lot of credit for the Cardinals’ success, and rightfully so, but what about the defensive coordinator who lost Darnell Dockett to injury, John Abraham to retirement, Daryl Washington to suspension and Karlos Dansby to free agency and kept rolling right along? His schemes are very creative, he has a dynamic personality – I just think he’s going to be a very good head coach.

I give Ryan the top spot for two reasons: I think Ryan is a heck of a coach, and Buffalo wasn’t the easiest sell. The Bills have no quarterback (prove me wrong, EJ Manuel!) and haven’t been to the playoffs this century. If you take that job, you're also entering a tough division. But they landed Ryan, a brilliant defensive Xs and Os coach who also is a good motivator. He was given a talent-poor roster the past few years with the Jets and did a pretty good job getting the most out of it. This was a really good hire for the Bills.

> http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/which-of-the-seven-new-nfl-head-coaches-was-the-best-hire--164437970.html

Correct me if I am wrong but the Bills defense was already pretty good.  Does it make sense to bring in an offensive nudnick when your problem is scoring?  I am also naot so sure about the motivation thing.  The Jets over the last three years were soundly beaten in a lot of their games.

Correct me if I am wrong but the Bills defense was already pretty good.  Does it make sense to bring in an offensive nudnick when your problem is scoring?  I am also not so sure about the motivation thing.  The Jets over the last three years were soundly beaten in a lot of their games.  I would have to pick Fox. He has been to a Super Bowl in the last two years.  I certainly would not rate Rex high after the last 3 seasons, which were on average non descript

Jmo The top four are pretty obvious 1 Gary Kubiak. 2. John fox 3. Jack Delrio. 4 Rex Ryan. Those coaches have a track record while the other one are unknowns. The unknowns could be great coaches, or they could be utter failures. Only time will tell, and if your judging on what you know now , that is the only way you can seriously rank the hires now.

Yes there could be the next Jim Harbaugh in those unknowns, but untill they prove it, they could be the next Norv Turner. A great coordinator , but lousy head coach.

Also the Bill Bellichik and the Pete Carrol failed miserable in their first head coach jobs.

So if I'm reading the article correctly, the Jets fired the best HC that is available?

I was still posting at JI at the time that the fire Rex / keep Rex debate was raging, and there were some who would have sworn we were firing the best coach of all time. 

Who is john clayton too? LOL     Coaching hires winners and losers Mailbag: Which teams came out on top of NFL's annual scramble for coaches?
Originally Published: January 21, 2015

By John Clayton | ESPN.com]

Winners

1. Buffalo Bills: The Bills didn't figure to be in the hunt for a coach following a 9-7 campaign, but Marrone surprised them by opting out of his contract three days after the season. Landing Rex Ryan as a replacement was a major move for the franchise. Already revered for his work building up defenses, Ryan inherits a top-five unit in Buffalo, and the offense could benefit from his hiring of former 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman. Now, the organization needs to find this new staff the right quarterback in order to succeed.

2. Michigan Wolverines: Are you kidding me? Michigan got a proven commodity in Jim Harbaugh for close to the same base salary he earned in San Francisco. Harbaugh knows how to produce winners, which makes Michigan a big winner this offseason.

[+] Enlargechi_g_jfoxts_300x200.jpg
David Banks/Getty ImagesJohn Fox's past success and stabilizing influence made him an ideal fit for the chaotic Bears.

3. Chicago Bears: Getting a proven winner such as John Fox was an amazing get for a team that bottomed out last year. Fox, who is looking to lead his third franchise to the Super Bowl, can help rehabilitate the team's culture, while beating out Washington and others for prized defensive coordinator Vic Fangio will certainly help improve the on-field product.

4. Oakland Raiders: Instead of following their usual script in pursuing an assistant coach, Oakland broke from the norm in picking Jack Del Rio, who has roots in the Bay area and really wanted the position. Having won in his previous head-coaching role in Jacksonville should help as Oakland looks to rebuild with rookie QB Derek Carr.

5. Atlanta Falcons (if they hire Quinn): The Falcons were willing to wait for one of the most coveted assistants on the market as they appear set to hire Seahawks defensive coordinator Dan Quinn following the Super Bowl. Quinn can fix Atlanta's ailing defense while recently hired offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan can help maximize Matt Ryan's potential at QB as Atlanta looks to return to postseason play. Normally, franchises don't wait for coaches in the Super Bowl, but the Falcons had enough quality assistants under contract to potentially supply Quinn a staff with minimal holes to fill.

Losers

1. San Francisco 49ers: No knock on Jim Tomsula, but it's hard to sell fans on a relatively unknown defensive line coach replacing a guy who reached three consecutive conference title games. Harbaugh had perhaps the best coaching staff in football during his tenure and it led to plenty of success before this year's decline. Can Tomsula duplicate that success by the Bay? We'll see.

More from ESPN.com

hornsby_neil_m.jpgNew coach Rex Ryan can get the Bills to the playoffs in 2015. Neil Hornsby of Pro Football Focus explains.Story in.gif

greenberg_jon_m.jpgThe Bears are getting a proven winner in John Fox, writes Jon Greenberg.Story

2. Doug Marrone, hot assistant coaches:Marrone's gamble fell short as he went from head coach of a Buffalo team that appeared on the rise to an assistant/offensive line coach in Jacksonville. How he could decide to take the $4 million buyout of his contract despite not having another head-coaching job lined up is incredible.

3. "Hot" assistant coaches: This year, franchises preferred hiring coaches with track records instead of taking a chance on one of the hot, but unproven coordinators. Tomsula and Todd Bowles (Jets) were the only assistants without previous head-coaching experience -- although each had stints as interim head coaches -- to land jobs, leaving several of their peers to battle it out for coordinator positions.

4. Adam Gase, former Denver Broncos offensive coordinator: He was considered the hottest offensive assistant in the league this time last year. Now, he's scrambling for another coordinator job. He's a bright young coach, but changing agents the Sunday before the end of the regular season might have confused teams looking at him.

5. Brian Schottenheimer, St. Louis Rams: A couple of years ago, many people predicted he'd be a head coach by now. Instead, he is heading to college to become the offensive coordinator for the Georgia Bulldogs. Not sure that was the right move to help increase his odds at becoming an NFL head coach.

Jmo The top four are pretty obvious 1 Gary Kubiak. 2. John fox 3. Jack Delrio. 4 Rex Ryan. Those coaches have a track record while the other one are unknowns. The unknowns could be great coaches, or they could be utter failures. Only time will tell, and if your judging on what you know now , that is the only way you can seriously rank the hires now.

Yes there could be the next Jim Harbaugh in those unknowns, but untill they prove it, they could be the next Norv Turner. A great coordinator , but lousy head coach.

Also the Bill Bellichik and the Pete Carrol failed miserable in their first head coach jobs.

Retreads are a waste of time. They have a track record of failure which is why they were available in the first place. 

Naming two of the only 3 guys to win a Super Bowl as a retread is cherry picking. How did that work out for the lterally 100s of retreads who sucked just as bad in their second job as their first? 

Retreads are a waste of time. They have a track record of failure which is why they were available in the first place. 

Naming two of the only 3 guys to win a Super Bowl as a retread is cherry picking. How did that work out for the lterally 100s of retreads who sucked just as bad in their second job as their first? 

I agree

And I honestly think by some anti Jet magic we lucked into the best HC candidate on Bowles...

Quinn was my first choice but after seeing Bowles and his past I honestly now think Bowles was the superior candidate

Rex is by FAR the worst HC hire this offseason. A progressively worse HC goes to a team in a very similar situation to the team he just screwed over to 4-12 and people think it will be different in Buffalo. Pretty hysterical.

Question when Mangini went 4-12 in 2007 was he also screwing the team over?? And like some others now here you brought all of that Rex hate over from JI I see..

The last 20 years - 12 of the Super Bowls were won by retread HC's  -  that's not Cherry Picking.

how many hot coordinator got a head coaching job off of coaching on top teams, and failed miserable when going to that new team. ( too many to name)

Again No one knows what these coordinators are going to do ( could go either way). Right now with no track record , you can't put them over established coaches.( if they prove after the season that they are good than you can change the list- but not now)

Jack Delrio - 9 year head coaching career in Jacksonville. 3 games under .500. Now compare that to Jacksonville record after he left. ( picking in top five every year)

I really like Fox in Chicago.

Agreed.  That's a great fit.

Based on their fit with the team they were hired by and the coaching pool available to each team (I.E. factor in that Fox never would have come here) I'll go:

1.  Quinn

2.  Fox

3.  Bowles

4.  Kubiak

5.  Rex

6.  Del Rio

7.  Tomsula

Bowles was the best hire WE could have gotten because I'm not convinced Quinn would have come here had we waited, and we may have lost out on Bowles in the end as well. 

The last 20 years - 12 of the Super Bowls were won by retread HC's  -  that's not Cherry Picking.

Six retreads have actually won SBs in the last 20 years. Prior to the Broncos win in Super Bowl 32, only one retread (Don Shula) had ever won a Super Bowl. 

You're still looking at 35 of 49 Super Bowls being won by coaches in their first head coaching job. 

And despite Raider9175's ridiculously delusional fantasies, Jack Del Rio ain't the next Bill Belichick. 

I would not have been happy with any of the retreads that just got hired. Would you?

how many hot coordinator got a head coaching job off of coaching on top teams, and failed miserable when going to that new team. ( too many to name)

Again No one knows what these coordinators are going to do ( could go either way). Right now with no track record , you can't put them over established coaches.( if they prove after the season that they are good than you can change the list- but not now)

Jack Delrio - 9 year head coaching career in Jacksonville. 3 games under .500. Now compare that to Jacksonville record after he left. ( picking in top five every year)

And you won't be posting here in October when the Raiders are 1-6. 

Archived