Report: Johnson and Vick to Leave Jets

HOZ THE JET

CJ Run

By Glenn Naughton

Metros’s Kristian Dyer is reporting through a source that the New York Jets are expected to part ways with quarterback Michael Vick and running back Chris Johnson.

Vick’s departure via free agency comes as no surprise, but Johnson’s situation was slightly less predictable.  Some blamed his lack of production in 2014 on the way he was utilized by former offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and he still had a season remaining on his two-year deal.  With third-string running back Bilal Powell due to hit free agency, some felt Johnson’s return was unlikely, yet still possible.

Johnson’s release will free up over $2 million in cap space for the Jets and is sure to fuel speculation of the Jets’ possible pursuit of Buffalo Bills free agent running back CJ Spiller.  In an interview with JetNation.com, Howard Simon of WGR 550 in Buffalo recalled Spiller’s ability to “make play, after play, after play” under Gailey in 2012 when he rushed for a career best 1,244 yards and 6 touchdowns.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
-nknWHXOWmU

View the full article

Report: Johnson to be released; Vick to follow February 13th, 2015 9:18 pm

The Jets are planning to release running back Chris Johnson and allow quarterback Michael Vick to test free agency (Dyer, Feb. 13).

Johnson, 29, came to the Jets last season after six years with Tennessee. He had 155 carries for 663 yards, both career lows, and only had one rushing touchdown. He was arrested on weapons charges last month in Florida.

The Jets have until Monday to decide if the second year of Johnson’s contract is set. Metro New York’s Kristian Dyer reported a source told him “Chris Johnson will not be a member of the Jets in 2015.”

Dyer also reported that Vick, 34, will be allowed to test free agency and that there is no plan to offer him a contract, although that could change after the draft and other moves the Jets make in free agency under new general manager Mike Maccagnan.

3 Comments

Question is who will replace them...? Who do you guys think ? 

Im sure these guys have a plan what positions they will target in the draft based on whats available in FA. We have so much money under the cap anything is possible. Will be interesting if this team gets good over night if we can get a servicable QB like Matt Moore then draft a young one who can take over in a year or 2.

How is this "news"...

Joking right? Actual Jets football related news. First time in forever.. All dead time before the combine is annoying as hell.

Edit. Even if most expected this. It is reassuring for most of us to get these things confirmed. I also expect someone to once again mention the importance of a personnel GM.  :winking0001:

Vick was a POS with the Jets. His attitude last season and prior rep...smh...This Dbag could be replaced by any homeless dude living under penn station.

Johnson is a ghost of himself. With a very strong RB draft class coming in you wonder who would sign him and what kind of deal ~ $1M/per? Ivory, Powell and draft that kid from Miami in the mid rounds.

Prediction - Vick to Buffalo, Johnson to Dallas

Rex, the anti-disciplinarian, benched Vick for Geno. He's not encouraging anyone to bring him to Buffalo. And Jerry Jones has his heart set on Adrian Peterson.

Again not surprising. CJ was a disappointment and Vick was mentally retired.

Yeah Chris Johnson's 4.3 ypc, 800 yards from LOS in a reserve role and the nfl 2nd ranked rushing attack was a big reason we went 4-12 last year.

Vick was dumb move. Johnson wasn't even though I agree with cutting both

Yeah Chris Johnson's 4.3 ypc, 800 yards from LOS in a reserve role and the nfl 2nd ranked rushing attack was a big reason we went 4-12 last year.

I didn't like the Johnson move but he was our best back last year.

Spiller, Ivory & Richardson are plenty of bodies at RB.

CJ won't cost that much & because of his knowledge of Chan Gaileys offense & previous success he's a no brainer.

A rookie always needs to learn blitz pickup which is not easy in the NFL.

Spiller is best case scenario & instantly upgrades our offense.

Then you will have either White- Cooper- Fowler- Scherff to pick from at #6.

It's a great spot for Jets.

Best case scenario is Mariota falls, Eagles are interested & Jets get Foles & draft picks.

It blows my mind that we have fans not interested in obtaining Foles. He's better (and a lot YOUNGER) than anyone available on the street! He has really good recognition & got rid of the ball quickly under Andy Reed too.

Our fan base is crazy. We have to find an answer at QB.

Prediction - Vick to Buffalo, Johnson to Dallas

I doubt Vick finds a place - I think he's does.  

He showed little to no effort and no desire whatsoever to actually play.   He was collecting a pay check last year and nothing more.  I can't imagine any team would want him after the level of effort he gave the Jets.

Yeah it was an ok idea but it depends on what the goal was. If he was brought in to carry the ball >250x it was dumb. If he was brought in to carry it 150-200x and be a 3rd down back with reliable hands, who can do damage as a receiver, then it was a good idea. Especially with a young QB, coming off a lousy rookie season, who badly needed a safety outlet when it isn't there (or he isn't seeing it) downfield.

Further, a common thought (at the time) was that Ivory was incapable of catching anything at all -- unless the football and his gloves were suddenly changed to complementary sides of velcro. He allegedly looked good in (2013) camp catching out of the backfield, but he was a real disappointment as a receiver during that season. CJ was, on paper, a nice counterbalance to that. Plus Ivory wasn't exactly known for being an iron-man either (in comparison to CJ, who missed 1 game as a rookie and 0 in the 5 years since then).

It was a good line of thought bringing him in, even though the move clearly didn't work out as hoped.

Archived