Free Agency Twitter Updates

DaBallhawk

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tobacco and alcohol.

Assault rifles.

They banned smoking in bars, drinking & driving, and added gun regulations.  And people make individual decisions about all of those things anyways.  Just like people will make individual decisions about whether they want to play football or not.  Many won't.  If the talent pool shrinks over time that and reduced ratings will kill the sport faster than politicians would.  It would become like the NHL.  Still in existence, just not all that popular anymore.

Stevie Johnson signs with Chargers

Updated: March 17, 2015, 11:43 AM ET
ESPN.com news services
  •  

Free-agent wide receiver Stevie Johnson agreed to a three-year contract with the San Diego Chargers on Tuesday.

[+] Enlarge
Cary Edmondson/USA TODAY SportsStevie Johnson had just 35 catches and three touchdowns in his one season with the 49ers.

Johnson had visited the Chargers and Patriots since his release from the 49ers last week. In San Diego, he will help to replace receiver Eddie Royal, who left the Chargers this offseason to sign a free-agent contract with the Bears.

The 49ers released Johnson, 28, after just one season with the team.

Johnson, who had a contract cash value of $6.025 million for the 2015 season, according to ESPN Stats & Information, caught 35 passes for 435 yards and three touchdowns on 50 targets in 13 games for the 49ers, the seven-year veteran's lowest output since his second season.

The arrival of free-agent wideout Torrey Smith made Johnson, acquired last year for a fourth-round draft pick from the Bills, expendable in San Francisco.

He had three straight seasons of at least 1,000 yards receiving in Buffalo from 2010 to 2012.

ESPN.com 49ers reporter Paul Gutierrez contributed to this report.

ESPN.com news services
  •  

Free-agent wide receiver Stevie Johnson agreed to a three-year contract with the San Diego Chargers on Tuesday.

[+] Enlarge
Cary Edmondson/USA TODAY SportsStevie Johnson had just 35 catches and three touchdowns in his one season with the 49ers.

Johnson had visited the Chargers and Patriots since his release from the 49ers last week. In San Diego, he will help to replace receiver Eddie Royal, who left the Chargers this offseason to sign a free-agent contract with the Bears.

Johnson, who had a contract cash value of $6.025 million for the 2015 season, according to ESPN Stats & Information, caught 35 passes for 435 yards and three touchdowns on 50 targets in 13 games for the 49ers, the seven-year veteran's lowest output since his second season.

The arrival of free-agent wideout Torrey Smith made Johnson, acquired last year for a fourth-round draft pick from the Bills, expendable in San Francisco.

He had three straight seasons of at least 1,000 yards receiving in Buffalo from 2010 to 2012.

Would've loved for the Jets to have found a way to get him in here.  It'd be tough with all the WR's now, but selling him on a spread offense where he'd be facing #3/#4 CB's may have been enticing.  He'll do big things with Rivers as long as he stays healthy.

ESPN.com news services
  •  

[+] Enlarge

Phew!

Are Giants fans in general just stupid or incredibly clueless? Visited their MB and they have absolutely no clue who Ellis is or what type of player they might be getting. They view him as a guy who might not even make the 53 man roster over there.

lol-duck.gif

I'm hearing Greg Hardy is starting his free agency tour with the Cowboys then Seahawks I hope we are on his list before he makes his final decision.

If the Seahawks are looking, I guess I'm a little more open to the idea.

Are Giants fans in general just stupid or incredibly clueless? Visited their MB and they have absolutely no clue who Ellis is or what type of player they might be getting. They view him as a guy who might not even make the 53 man roster over there.

Jonathan Hankins is one of my favorite newer NT/DTs to the league. I thought he was one of the better players in his draft, should have gone in the first, but I think the Giants picked him up in the second or third.

I'm hearing Greg Hardy is starting his free agency tour with the Cowboys then Seahawks I hope we are on his list before he makes his final decision.

I hope our GM is aggressive in courting him and signing him.  He could be had for a great value deal. It would be awful if we cannot have a player like Greg Hardy because we overpaid Cro or Harris.

I hope our GM is aggressive in courting him and signing him.  He could be had for a great value deal. It would be awful if we cannot have a player like Greg Hardy because we overpaid Cro or Harris.

can we get him for 3 years, $9 million ?

If the Seahawks are looking, I guess I'm a little more open to the idea.

Jonathan Hankins is one of my favorite newer NT/DTs to the league. I thought he was one of the better players in his draft, should have gone in the first, but I think the Giants picked him up in the second or third.

He was terrific last season. Pairing him up with Ellis would be huge. He's more of a 3 technique DT who needs one on ones and with the addition of Ellis that D-Line could be deadly. Reminds me a little of Linval Joseph. Much better pass rusher though.

Our GM has done a great job!

BTW:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 9m9 minutes ago

For now, forget about Seattle and Tampa being involved. Dallas is undisputed favorite to land free-agent DE Greg Hardy.

the jets are done shopping for A- listers as far as I can tell

I think we have around 10 mil. in cap room left so we're not gonna be able to afford Hardy type players at this point anymore. We could free up ~ 5 mil. by cutting guys like Pace, Babin, Walls etc. but I don't see it. Don't see the need.

Archived