did i hear this right? 20m guaranteed for cromartie? JF80 apologized to JiF?

Jetsfan80

The answer to the ending that 45 year wait lies somewhere in between. You have to spend and make moves and make your team better BUT you cannot overpay talent and that too mostly on the wrong side of 30. When you overpay and give a lot more money away that the player is worth you are left with a team that has a salary cap that's maxed out while the amount of talent on the field is not good enough to win.

This regime has been spending money like drunken sailors. It does make people excited for the 3 days this was happening in the off season. But does not necessarily mean the team has a high probability of competing for the Super Bowl.

Are you in cap trouble?

These deals don't have a lot of backend guaranteed money - The older guys deals are mostly two year deals with little cap implications thereafter.  

And we'll have cap space to spend next year.  All good.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long has he doesn't hand Marshall a monster extension like Tannenbaum handed Holmes, not a terrible move.  Holmes provided great value for us at the time of the move, contributing in a big way to several of our wins in '10.  Had we simply let him go after that season we'd have viewed that pickup in a better light.

Well we do not have the cap space to hand an extension. ;)

I'm glad Mac has been aggressive in adding talent to the team, I just hope he didn't overpay for guys like Cro and Harris, especially if a top 10-12 QB like Rivers does become available and we don't have the cap space and/or flexibility to fit him under the cap in the event we are able to pull off a trade.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Can we you guys wait to see how these contracts are structed jeez...

Those are the only 2 that were ok...lol.  Nobody has been complaining about those contracts. 

Although Skrine getting basically 7 mil a year is pretty steep for an average CB.

Are you in cap trouble?

These deals don't have a lot of backend guaranteed money - The older guys deals are mostly two year deals with little cap implications thereafter.  

And we'll have cap space to spend next year.  All good.

We still do not know the detailed year by year breakup of all contracts.

So if you know more please let us know. More specifics relating to your point are always welcome.

We still do not know the detailed year by year breakup of all contracts.

So if you know more please let us know. More specifics relating to your point are always welcome.

David Harris - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/david-harris/

Cromartie's contract has already been posted in this thread...and it's a relatively small cap hit in year 3 if they cut him...

A little perspective here:  The salary cap is increasing....a lot....and defensive back is becoming the 2nd most important position group in the NFL behind QB because of the rules.  There's nothing wrong with paying a lot for CBs as long as they are actually good players.  You will see the benefits on the field.

OK JiF, I see your point now.  $20M guaranteed to Cromartie, $10M guaranteed to Gilchrist and the Harris deal officially are making me a tad worried.

Granted, I love the new faces we've brought in.  But the dollar figures are officially a bit worrisome for the new regime.  The Revis deal is fine because we can get out of it in a couple of years.  Skrine was acquired for a very reasonable price.  And of course the Marshall and Fitzpatrick trades have my full endorsement.

This knocks the free agency/trading period from an A to a B or B+ for me now.  I'm still very pleased with how the roster is shaping up.  The draft will of course be what matters most.

Jets sign nobody.

First reaction: "We're fixing the cap!"

Second reaction: "We suck, we should have used the cap and fixed this team!"

Jets aggressive rebuild huge area of weakness.

First reactions: "Awesome, we won't suck anymore! We spent money to get better!"

Second reaction: "I'm really worried about the salary cap you guys!"

I hate our fans.

Jets sign nobody.

First reactions: "Awesome, we won't suck anymore! We spent money to get better!"

I hate our fans.

We hate you.

The difference in percentage guaranteed it's semantics when one will be paid $33M over the upcoming 2 seasons and the other around $16M. If both are cut, and we get into the semantics of it, Revis would still be a 50%

larger guaranteed nut to eat than Cromartie.

It should be $12M maximum on the guarantees, trading high salary for lower # of years guaranteed. He's just not that valuable of a CB anymore. As you suggest, it's not 100% official yet. But if it turns out to be correct ($20M guaranteed) this is a Parcells to Bryan Cox level awful contract (though these two aren't handing him that deal and then quitting the next week).

Dude, give the guy a break he's got like 14 mouths to feed.

Woody Johnson = philanthropist.

Jets sign nobody.

I hate our fans.

Can't it be somewhere in the middle?  I love the players we paid outside of Harris.  Skeptical about the dollar figure committed to Cromartie.  Skrine and Gilchrist maybe slightly on the high side but acceptable.  No issues whatsoever on the Revis, Marshall and Fitzpatrick moves.  Happy to be rid of Harvin, Vick and Chris Johnson.

Can't it be somewhere in the middle?  I love the players we paid outside of Harris.  Skeptical about the dollar figure committed to Cromartie.  Skrine and Gilchrist maybe slightly on the high side but acceptable.  No issues whatsoever on the Revis, Marshall and Fitzpatrick moves.  Happy to be rid of Harvin, Vick and Chris Johnson.

The middle IS having a couple guys that play on team friendly deals and some that don't. 

Expecting every contract to favor the team is unrealistic. I'm advocating for reality, the middle, which is what this year brings us towards.

This massive guaranteed money the Jets are paying out this year was actually structured very well.

The 4 year cap window closes after the 2016 season.   The Jets had to spend big in the next 2 years to be in conplience with the CBA.    

As much money as the Jets spent, of the guaranteed money about 80% of it will have been paid by the end of the 2016 season.  Even Revis who was guaranteed 39 million will have collected 32 million of it in 2015-2016

The cap is expected to go up another 10 million next yer, and the following year.

In 2017 the new cap window opens, and they really won't have much of this guaranteed money on the books.   They can reload the cap money, and then make a decision, with little cap damage, on if they should keep on paying these guys.

Works out for every one.  These contracts are front loaded, which the players love, and it's good for the Jets.  They have improved the team, and will still have money available in 2017.

The middle IS having a couple guys that play on team friendly deals and some that don't. 

Expecting every contract to favor the team is unrealistic. I'm advocating for reality, the middle, which is what this year brings us towards.

None of the deals could be defined as "team friendly".  That's not the criticism here.  It was a seller's market so it was expected that players would be signing for above their typical market value.

But Cromartie's price-tag was simply unreasonable for any situation.  Even if he returns to 2010-11 form, $8M per and $20M guaranteed for a # 2 corner over the age of 30 who just came off a 1-year, $3.5M "show me" deal is pretty ridiculous, no?  Meanwhile, if we saw that the Bills gave David Harris a 3 year deal for $21.5M and $15M guaranteed we'd probably be laughing at them.  If they were truly the top team bidding for his services other than us we probably should have let him go there for money like that.  Knowing the dollar figures involved I would not have minded going into this season with Milliner and McDougle competing for # 2 CB duties and replacing Harris via the draft.  But what happened happened and now the expectation will be that Bowles gets this defense playing at a high level immediately.

Ultimately I like the other moves enough to give McCagnan a "B" overall for what he's done here.  So I'm not complaining too heavily about it.  But it's still a couple things to keep in mind down the road if things don't work out in his tenure.

Jets sign nobody.

I hate our fans.

LMAO

giphy.gif

Yes, Jet fans are amazing.

Did anyone see the money being thrown around this offseason. We didn't overpay for anyone - we paid what the market would bare. We wanted a player, had the money to spend and paid more than what another team would offer....If Cromartie doesn't sign with us for that amount - someone else would have given him close. If Harris is let go - someone else would have paid him similar.

There were simply too many teams with too much money that HAD to be spent.

Everyone was in an uproar because we held the "value" last year - and now that we decided to outspend for players we needed - we have people complaining...

It's okay to be happy with the things we've done.

I know these posts are hysterical.

None of the deals could be defined as "team friendly". That's not the criticism here. It was a seller's market so it was expected that players would be signing for above their typical market value.

But Cromartie's price-tag was simply unreasonable for any situation. Even if he returns to 2010-11 form, $8M per and $20M guaranteed for a # 2 corner over the age of 30 who just came off a 1-year, $3.5M "show me" deal is pretty ridiculous, no? Meanwhile, if we saw that the Bills gave David Harris a 3 year deal for $21.5M and $15M guaranteed we'd probably be laughing at them. If they were truly the top team bidding for his services other than us we probably should have let him go there for money like that. Knowing the dollar figures involved I would not have minded going into this season with Milliner and McDougle competing for # 2 CB duties and replacing Harris via the draft. But what happened happened and now the expectation will be that Bowles gets this defense playing at a high level immediately.

Ultimately I like the other moves enough to give McCagnan a "B" overall for what he's done here. So I'm not complaining too heavily about it. But it's still a couple things to keep in mind down the road if things don't work out in his tenure.

I give Maccagnan an A. This team is much better then it was 10 days ago. He is undoing the incompetence of the previous GM.

None of the deals could be defined as "team friendly".  That's not the criticism here.  It was a seller's market so it was expected that players would be signing for above their typical market value.

But Cromartie's price-tag was simply unreasonable for any situation.  Even if he returns to 2010-11 form, $8M per and $20M guaranteed for a # 2 corner over the age of 30 who just came off a 1-year, $3.5M "show me" deal is pretty ridiculous, no?  Meanwhile, if we saw that the Bills gave David Harris a 3 year deal for $21.5M and $15M guaranteed we'd probably be laughing at them.  If they were truly the top team bidding for his services other than us we probably should have let him go there for money like that.  Knowing the dollar figures involved I would not have minded going into this season with Milliner and McDougle competing for # 2 CB duties and replacing Harris via the draft.  But what happened happened and now the expectation will be that Bowles gets this defense playing at a high level immediately.

Ultimately I like the other moves enough to give McCagnan a "B" overall for what he's done here.  So I'm not complaining too heavily about it.  But it's still a couple things to keep in mind down the road if things don't work out in his tenure.

Cromartie and Harris. 2 contracts. 

I'm not sure if the Jets have any other "bad" contracts right now. So, lets say for the sake of argument they have 1-2 other "bad" contracts. 

That's 3-4 contracts that don't favor the team greatly. I would imagine any team in the league would take that, and that's what I'm saying, being somewhere "in the middle" as you said you'd like, is having a balance of good and bad contracts. Having a balance of veterans you pay to make an impact and having a number our guys on rookie deals who also make an impact.

In other words, you are complaining because you want something we've already got. 

Cromartie and Harris. 2 contracts. 

I'm not sure if the Jets have any other "bad" contracts right now. So, lets say for the sake of argument they have 1-2 other "bad" contracts. 

That's 3-4 contracts that don't favor the team greatly. I would imagine any team in the league would take that, and that's what I'm saying, being somewhere "in the middle" as you said you'd like, is having a balance of good and bad contracts. Having a balance of veterans you pay to make an impact and having a number our guys on rookie deals who also make an impact.

In other words, you are complaining because you want something we've already got. 

Not complaining but ok. 

Good analysis.  So I guess we can expect to see just 2-3 LB's out there most of the time?  One of which we hopefully snag in the draft?

That's what I'm expecting. I'm not sure of the exact breakdown of number of times he trotted out a 3-4, but suffice to say I don't expect we'll see it like we did with Rex.

when idzik sat out one day one free agency everybody freaked

maccagnan gets in there and bids for day one talent.......everybody is getting close to freakin out, lololololol

Generally speaking, Jets fans are morons.

This massive guaranteed money the Jets are paying out this year was actually structured very well.

The 4 year cap window closes after the 2016 season.   The Jets had to spend big in the next 2 years to be in conplience with the CBA.    

As much money as the Jets spent, of the guaranteed money about 80% of it will have been paid by the end of the 2016 season.  Even Revis who was guaranteed 39 million will have collected 32 million of it in 2015-2016

The cap is expected to go up another 10 million next yer, and the following year.

In 2017 the new cap window opens, and they really won't have much of this guaranteed money on the books.   They can reload the cap money, and then make a decision, with little cap damage, on if they should keep on paying these guys.

Works out for every one.  These contracts are front loaded, which the players love, and it's good for the Jets.  They have improved the team, and will still have money available in 2017.

Well said. That definitely appears to be the plan.

The Jets are likely going to be better than last year, because last year was awful and short-term talent was added. They're owed money in the short term. Might be some dead money to eat in 2017, but other than that it's pretty safe.

The big thing this season is seeing how Maccagnan can draft (and potentially po) and whether or not the team potentially has a legit coach in Bowles.

Nobody should expect the Jets to compete for a title, there was practically no way they were going to get there anyway, but in the short term they'll be more entertaining to watch and as you pointed out in the long term those contracts that they needed to dish out this year anyway shouldn't hurt them.

I accept your apology.

My fears are that this type of spending doesnt typically work.  We've got a sh*t ton of money tied up in the secondary and 20mil for Cro is absurd.  Dude is shot.  And Gilchrist isnt even good. Then throw in the Harris money...that deal was borderline retarded. Fitz sucks.  Love BMarsh and Revis. Carpenter and Skrine are whatever moves.

That said, its nice going into the new season not having the worst roster in the league.  The Jets didnt have much choice.  Terrible roster with a ton of money, so they had to spend. I'm just not sure it was spent wisely. 

Mac has to hit the draft out of the park.  The thing I like most about his offseason, is that he's left himself a ton of flexibility going into it with the only true obvious need being OLB.

I agree the money seems to be a bit high, but Cro is not shot. Otherwise, why wouldnt the person who coached him not say to the GM, "Don't get him, he's shot"

Jets fans love to complain.

Fire Mr T he gave out too much guaranteed money

Fire Idzik he gave out too little guaranteed money

Fire Mac he gave out too much guaranteed money

Sorry to break it to you guys, but you can't have it both ways. If you want a competitive team  you need to spend. Guys aren't coming to the Jets or the Pats or the Niners for less than market value. If we hadn't given Cro 4  years for 32 mill,  he would have gotten 4/32 or 4/31 from some other team. 

all this "are the numbers right" stuff aside 

keep in mind the cap went up 10 mil each of the last two years and could do the same over the next two years. 

All this talk about cap hell isn't relevant when league revenues are soaring.

there is no cap hell anymore. 

The cap went up due to very specific circumstances regarding new television contracts with the NFL.  This doesn't happen every year and won't likely happen in the immediate future.  So this argument, which has been parroted by so many on this board, lacks merit.

Archived