Geno getting a raw deal by many

kmnj

He was never starting his first year on the bench.  Sanchez won nothing and was the backup.  Sanchez was done in NY.  There was never a competition in year two, was the Jets starting QB.

If you look at his last 5 games last year and come away thinking he has no chance you'll have a hard time with any young QB.  They actually need more than a season and a half to develop.  No matter how much we think otherwise.  You know the same way we all think that Mariota and Petty will need a couple of years to develop so will Geno.  

Believe me I hope you are right I just see it as a very risky gamble since the odds of him making the leap are extremely low. I think of the opportunity cost of sticking with Sanchez too long, and now Geno (if I end up being right).

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is correct. Jake retired, Brian Hoyer has been in the league 6 years and a journeyman. Mallet has completed 42 passes in his career.

I saw plenty of Brian Hoyer 2nd half last season after defenses figured him out. He is terrible makes Geno look like a young Warren Moon out of Canada.

About four to six more games seems about right. If he is still turning the ball over, time for Plan B. I just hope plan B is not rushing Petty in before he is ready.

If the light doesn't go on for Geno, I'd expect to see Petty get some playing time towards the end of the season - that is, if the conquering hero doesn't have them in a playoff hunt.

If the light doesn't go on for Geno, I'd expect to see Petty get some playing time towards the end of the season - that is, if the conquering hero doesn't have them in a playoff hunt.

I'm so happy this is catching on, even if I'm blissfully unaware of everyone laughing at me for coining it.

Getting a raw deal? He lucked into starting Year 1 because Rex put Sanchez into the 4th Q of the Snoopy Bowl, then he was handed the job Year 2 after a ridiculous sham competition, and now he is the presumptive starter unless proven otherwise despite doing absolutely nothing encouraging in his career to date and putting up numbers that rank him among the worst ever for two year starters.

Far from a raw deal, Geno is the luckiest SOB on Earth.

LOL awesome. This should be the automatic retort to any post on this board that comes close to praising Geno. He's simply not an NFL QB and has lucked into a ridiculously fortuitious opportunity most bottom-tier QB's would kill to have. The sad part is that he doesn't take advantage of this opportunity, or worse, fails to even realize it in the first place. Any halfway-competent coaching staff would have dropped Geno's ass to the curb after the second Buffalo game last season. Fortunately for Geno, he was lucky enough to have the worst offensive HC in football enable him to get away with his bullsh*t these last two seasons.

Getting a raw deal? He lucked into starting Year 1 because Rex put Sanchez into the 4th Q of the Snoopy Bowl, then he was handed the job Year 2 after a ridiculous sham competition, and now he is the presumptive starter unless proven otherwise despite doing absolutely nothing encouraging in his career to date and putting up numbers that rank him among the worst ever for two year starters.

Far from a raw deal, Geno is the luckiest SOB on Earth.

Actually, I think Geno starting year one was the worst thing that could have happened to him

Getting your starting QB knocked out in the 4th quarter of a pre season game was the worst thing Rex ever did.

Actually, I think Geno starting year one was the worst thing that could have happened to him

Getting your starting QB knocked out in the 4th quarter of a pre season game was the worst thing Rex ever did.

Your avatar is disgusting lol

Believe me I hope you are right I just see it as a very risky gamble since the odds of him making the leap are extremely low. I think of the opportunity cost of sticking with Sanchez too long, and now Geno (if I end up being right).

All it is at this point is hope. I agree, chances are low. They are with every QB. But giving him one last shot after 2 years isn't too long an investment. First two years meant little, we weren't going anywhere anyway. And Sanchez is a separate issue, can't dump out on someone too soon because we hung onto someone else too long.

At the end of the day it's not really a gamble. There weren't any real options available. Rarely are, teams don't usually dump or make available competent QBs. I'm not thinking Fitz is going to make a difference, might as well see if Geno is an option moving forward. If not he's gone.

I totally agree. The kid wasn't ready and it showed.  Yet he STILL won 8 games (I know some were lucky fluke wins, but a win is a win).    I would have preferred from him to sit and watch that first year or at least the first 8 games.    It's too bad the David Garrard move never panned out. I think he could have been brought along more slowly instead of being thrown into the fire. 

BTW I agree with jgb; your avatar is gross, lol. 

I don't see any reason to "give the kid a break".  Our continued obsession with trying to develop bad young QB's is a significant reason why this franchise's chances at acquiring a legitimate franchise QB have been limited. 

In just the last 4 years we've passed on Russell Wilson and Teddy Bridgewater because we preferred to give Sanchez and Geno more chances than they deserved.  Geno was drafted in the same round as Kellen Clemens yet we think there's some amazing untapped upside he hasn't displayed yet.  It's not those guys that got a raw deal.  It's us. 

Agree with all you say.  We also failed to go after Alex Smith when he was available.  Thank god the old regime is gone.  Maybe Mac and company will get us a QB sooner rather than later.

So far they've presented us with the 5% change Geno works out, and the 10% chance Petty works out.  They haven't had much time or talent to work with yet so the honeymoon is still intact.  And it does look like the adults are finally in charge.     

Right now, Geno resembles an old Michael Vick. Seriously, the OP has framed the problem incorrectly. It's not about giving Geno a "raw deal," it's about lacking faith in Geno until he shows he can be consistent, protect the ball, read defenses more quickly, and make good/rapid decisions. Until he shows that he can do that, scepticism is appropriate.

I don't think it matters about what kind of 'deal' he is getting in the media or from the fans.  The truth is, he is going into his 3rd season after very poor overall showings in his first 2 years as the guy whose job it is to 'loose'.

Getting a raw deal is getting cut without the chance to compete.  Or, playing poorly on poor teams only to have the team sign a likely starter.  Or, getting pounded by your new coaching staff as being terrible.  Or being benched in favor of Johnny Football in an effort to sell tickets.

Would Geno have been better off if Sanchez hadn't gotten hurt in his rookie year, so he didn't have to start?  Probably.  But now he goes into his 3rd year on a team with a defense that looks unstoppable with upgrades at WR and OL with a weak schedule.  He is also the 'favorite' to start with the only real competition coming from a backup QB recovering from a broken leg.  If your goal is to be a starting QB and you have had a lackluster first 2 years, this is probably the ideal situation to be in.  So, not so sure he is getting a bad deal.  He will have plenty of opportunities to prove the nah-sayers wrong.  I also don't think the fans and the media have as much influence as you give them credit for.

Your avatar is disgusting lol

I totally agree. The kid wasn't ready and it showed.  Yet he STILL won 8 games (I know some were lucky fluke wins, but a win is a win).    I would have preferred from him to sit and watch that first year or at least the first 8 games.    It's too bad the David Garrard move never panned out. I think he could have been brought along more slowly instead of being thrown into the fire. 

BTW I agree with jgb; your avatar is gross, lol. 

Love Hurts.  The nice man waxed his love onto his back, and the skin turned red just to show his devotion.  

Side note: I still believe 95% of all QBs are better off sitting a year, maybe playing the last 1-2 games of their rookie season just to get a taste.  Rushing a 21-22 year old so that he gets physically beaten up while trying to learn a huge amount of information and possibly booed by 70,000 people isn't really the way to go (in my opinion)

I think this board needs more off-season Geno threads.  

it's funny being a Jet fan.  when I started on this board it was Pennington and his limitations.   Next it was sanchez.  now it's geno.   this team hasn't had stability at the QB position since O'Brien in the 80's.  

he is a young QB that has a good arm-yeah he had a few games where he showed poor judgement but I would argue a great deal of that has to do with the fact that he had prob the worst wr/te group(especially when decker had the hammy) that I have ever seen on a Jets team-I mean come on his number on certain weeks was guys like nelson -this year I suspect we will say great improvement out of him now that he has a solid core of WRS and Amaro should improve-do I think he is the next tom brady, no I dont but i think he can be a good qb that the team can win with

Dude - nobody hopes he gets his head out of his anus more than I do - but the guy can rarely execute past the first target in his progression. Now if you want to say he knew the rest of the guys wouldn't have caught it anyway - well, that's not 100% invalid but not the real deal.

I think he's a just not a real savvy in the line of fire and prone to mopery. Not a good combo.

If he can make serious advances in cutting down his miscues and actually use that arm to hit some of the quality WR's now on the team - they won't be able to stack the box on us and we can score some offensive points.

I really believe with our D if Geno can get us 2 TD's and position us for 2-3 FG's - we will have a post season. Don't know that he can do that.   

Dude.. It's not a raw deal. He's a really physically talented kid but his football IQ makes Sanchez's football IQ look like Peyton Manning.

Maybe he'll come around and maybe having guys like Marshall and Decker on the outside will make him better.. but his ceiling, at his very best, is a middle of the road QB. I'll take it but I'm definitely not banking on him being that. This is his last chance as the quarterback of the Jets, he better get it right.

Comparing Geno to Sanchez is silly.  Geno has displayed plenty of football IQ, he just hasn't done it consistently, which is often the case for a young player.

Geno does a fine job beating teams who are eliminated from competition at the end of the season. If I ever need a player to win a meaningless game for both teams, he is on my speed dial.

When Geno put up a perfect passer rating against Miami last year they were still alive for the playoffs. 

Against Tom Brady and last years Superbowl champs Geno lost by 2 points, and 1 point in our two games. In both games we were in position for a game winning field goal that was blocked. 

Who has our JAG backup Ryan Fitzpatrick Beat? How many playoff games, or games with the playoffs on the line has he won? The answer is ZERO. 

it's funny being a Jet fan.  when I started on this board it was Pennington and his limitations.   Next it was sanchez.  now it's geno.   this team hasn't had stability at the QB position since O'Brien in the 80's.  

This team could have Luck on the team right now and the arm-chair GM's and football guru's on this board would still be complaining.

When Geno put up a perfect passer rating against Miami last year they were still alive for the playoffs.

Against Tom Brady and last years Superbowl champs Geno lost by 2 points, and 1 point in our two games. In both games we were in position for a game winning field goal that was blocked.

Who has our JAG backup Ryan Fitzpatrick Beat? How many playoff games, or games with the playoffs on the line has he won? The answer is ZERO.

Fitz is the better player at this point but Geno is healthier with more upside. Pass protection is going to be key we sucked at it last year and now Suh is in our division. If Wacko Giaco continues to be a turnstile both quarterbacks will suck.

We seem to be pretty stable at QB.  Guys suck and we hang on and start threads about it.  Model of consistency.

I fear Geno's ceiling is JAG. He is the Nuke Laloosh of the NFL. Where is Susan Sarandon when you need her.

Fitz is the better player at this point but Geno is healthier with more upside. Pass protection is going to be key we sucked at it last year and now Suh is in our division. If Wacko Giaco continues to be a turnstile both quarterbacks will suck.

Fitzpatrick put up arguably the best numbers of his career last year at 32 years old. 17 TD's and 8 Turnovers. Im sure that looks great to you and others. Until you look at his game log and realize he kind of SUCKED outside of one very friendly home against in which he threw 6 TD's against the worst defense in the NFL in the titans. 11TD's and 8 Int without that game. Thats throwing to Andre Johnson and the up and coming Deandre Hopkins and a great ground game. The Texans first order of business was getting rid of him. Just like Tenn and Buffalo did years ago.  

The offseason came and his team didn't want him. No other team wanted him for anything more then a 7th round pick which says a-lot because that means many teams didn't even want him as a backup. Thats bc he is a turn over machine thats old with literally no upside. 

Hes not a starting QB in this league. Hes here to teach Geno the system and be a fall back guy. Nothing more. If Geno falters and we realize he is not the guy hell be here to teach Bryce Petty and a likely 2016 draft pick the offense. 

I fear Geno's ceiling is JAG. He is the Nuke Laloosh of the NFL. Where is Susan Sarandon when you need her.

Geno has a huge ceiling, but I do agree that I fear hell be a JAG. Well know this season either way for sure. 

But if theres anyone to blame for him being the starting QB last year and this year its not him. He's been the best QB on the roster and the only one to blame for that is the Jets front office. Michael Vick? Fitzpatrick? Who wouldn't beat these guys?  Vick is still a FA and just about no one wanted Fitzpatrick this offseason even with his cheap price tag. 

Im hoping Mac gets alot better talent at the QB spot. There should be much better QB's in next years draft and I don't think hell stay away from one just bc of Petty. 

We seem to be pretty stable at QB.  Guys suck and we hang on and start threads about it.  Model of consistency.

And there's always a Bollinger, Ratliff, McElroy or Simms as a secret savior.  Though maybe with this regime that will change.

Geno has a huge ceiling

HUGE ceiling?  No.  You have to have a supercomputer brain with some superhuman physical traits for that to be the case.  He has the big body and some physical tools with a pretty dumb brain.  He has a modest ceiling as a result.  Think maybe a poor man's Tony Romo.  And that's probably being kind.

so here I am again once again stating the same thing-Geno had GARBAGE at WR-when he had Decker healthy and Harvin he looked much better-remember just last year early season MOST said Brady was DONE(cleary they are no where near the same guy in fact they are many many many miles apart )  -the reality is he was far from done and looked so bad because he was throwing to garbage too -what his problem was he was missing a legit talent to throw to-a stud that will go get the ball-when Gronk came back to health all of a suddent brady was brady again-if you put any elite qb on our team last year they would have looked bad throwing to Nelson and other scrubs most never heard of so ofcourse a young unproven qb struggeld at times.

Now with 3 legit wrs ( I assume our rookie will contribute and open up the field) and Amaro getting better-Geno has tools to suceed-if he fails then clearly you move on but he is the best option we have-if Geno was throwing to Sammy Watkins or beckham jr last year trust me he would have looked better.

I will enjoy watching Geno win with this team and will enjoy those that have been hating on him jump on the bandwagon acting like they supported him all along

so here I am again once again stating the same thing-Geno had GARBAGE at WR-when he had Decker healthy and Harvin he looked much better-remember just last year early season MOST said Brady was DONE(cleary they are no where near the same guy in fact they are many many many miles apart )  -the reality is he was far from done and looked so bad because he was throwing to garbage too -what his problem was he was missing a legit talent to throw to-a stud that will go get the ball-when Gronk came back to health all of a suddent brady was brady again-if you put any elite qb on our team last year they would have looked bad throwing to Nelson and other scrubs most never heard of so ofcourse a young unproven qb struggeld at times.

Now with 3 legit wrs ( I assume our rookie will contribute and open up the field) and Amaro getting better-Geno has tools to suceed-if he fails then clearly you move on but he is the best option we have-if Geno was throwing to Sammy Watkins or beckham jr last year trust me he would have looked better.

I will enjoy watching Geno win with this team and will enjoy those that have been hating on him jump on the bandwagon acting like they supported him all along

Did you dig up all of your old posts and just cross out Mark and insert Geno into them I wonder?  Because this argument sounds the same to me.

Did you dig up all of your old posts and just cross out Mark and insert Geno into them I wonder?  Because this argument sounds the same to me.

nope not at all sanchez had a MUCH better team to work with early on-

Archived