Marvin Lewis needs to be FIRED!

CanadaSteve

First his running back can't hold onto the ball, which is ALL he has to do, and then that disgraceful display by his defense.

He has proven he has no control over this team, and cannot win when it counts.

If he has a job on Monday, Cincinnati ownership deserves what it gets.

Damn why can't Marvin Lewis hold onto the football ...The guy lost his QB and had to throw a guy in there basically on the fly at the most critical part of the season I think he gets a pretty big pass for that. What should piss you off is that should have been us winning that game not the ******* back in Steelers

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, now I know why the Jets didn't go after Burfict as an UDFA,lol. The guy is a monster on the field, literally! He single handedly won the game by knocking Big Ben out of the game & then closing it out with an interception, and then gave the game back when he went head hunting. Forget that idiot Packman for a second, none of that exchange happens without the Burfict penalty. Absolutely crazy, guy went from the games MVP to the games scapegoat.

I have to agree with some others here, how Shaziers hit on Bernard is not a penalty is completely baffling? Plus you had 2 announcers & that idiot ref they always talk to saying he's a runner so the hit is legal? The dude came in & launched his helmet WITH HIS HEAD DOWN right into the facemask of Bernard! I mean it was the definition of SPEARING as I've known it since they put the rule in. Not one mention of it from Simms, Nance or the idiot ex-ref? Plus, no one can tell me that Joey Porter didn't instigate something while he was out there, we already had a penalty on Munchack earlier grabbing a Bengal. This was a perfect example of a team, (Steelers) purposely goading Bengals players to lose their cool (you could tell this was their plan & everyone knows Mike Tomlin is a complete azzhole). 

With that being said, this has to be one of the worst losses in NFL history, just looking at those dejected Bengals fans crying, stunned, shocked was a little heart breaking, but, thank god we didn't lose like THAT! Ouch, that loss will stick with you forever, especially when your team has that kind of playoff win drought. SOBs, lmao!

Well, now I know why the Jets didn't go after Burfict as an UDFA,lol. The guy is a monster on the field, literally! He single handedly won the game by knocking Big Ben out of the game & then closing it out with an interception, and then gave the game back when he went head hunting. Forget that idiot Packman for a second, none of that exchange happens without the Burfict penalty. Absolutely crazy, guy went from the games MVP to the games scapegoat.

I have to agree with some others here, how Shaziers hit on Bernard is not a penalty is completely baffling? Plus you had 2 announcers & that idiot ref they always talk to saying he's a runner so the hit is legal? The dude came in & launched his helmet WITH HIS HEAD DOWN right into the facemask of Bernard! I mean it was the definition of SPEARING as I've known it since they put the rule in. Not one mention of it from Simms, Nance or the idiot ex-ref? Plus, no one can tell me that Joey Porter didn't instigate something while he was out there, we already had a penalty on Munchack earlier grabbing a Bengal. This was a perfect example of a team, (Steelers) purposely goading Bengals players to lose their cool (you could tell this was their plan & everyone knows Mike Tomlin is a complete azzhole). 

With that being said, this has to be one of the worst losses in NFL history, just looking at those dejected Bengals fans crying, stunned, shocked was a little heart breaking, but, thank god we didn't lose like THAT! Ouch, that loss will stick with you forever, especially when your team has that kind of playoff win drought. SOBs, lmao!

Shazier hit was, in my opinion, a penalty, but a lot closer call than either of the Bungle meltdowns late in the game. Porter is also not so clear cut since he was on the field in response to an injured player. More latitude would be given in that situation, even if he's a defensive coach. Pacman would have avoided a flag if he hadn't put his hands on a ref.

On another note, I'm just struck by how many of these types of incidents we're seeing now in the NFL. I think there were seven penalties in last night's game for unnecessary roughness and unsportsmanlike conduct. There should have been even more.

Shazier hit was, in my opinion, a penalty, but a lot closer call than either of the Bungle meltdowns late in the game. Porter is also not so clear cut since he was on the field in response to an injured player. More latitude would be given in that situation, even if he's a defensive coach. Pacman would have avoided a flag if he hadn't put his hands on a ref.

On another note, I'm just struck by how many of these types of incidents we're seeing now in the NFL. I think there were seven penalties in last night's game for unnecessary roughness and unsportsmanlike conduct. There should have been even more.

In today's NFL, the inmates run the asylum (with some exceptions like Belichick coached teams).  Even Tom Coughlin probably got fired for the OBJ thing.  Guys like Rex almost encourage this kind of nonsense.  The NFL has been going downhill and this is further proof IMO.

Marvin Lewis is a good coach, but it just doesn't work there. Bengals probably should go in a different direction. The man can obviously coach, they win 9-10 every year. For whatever reason, they just can't get over the hump. They need a new voice. 

if you're giving him credit for the good (I.e. - regular season wins) then you also need to give him blame for the bad (playoff implosions)

either the type of  players brought in to the team specifically, or the respect players in general have for him as HC, or some combo of the 2 is not working 

I would not want him as my HC

if you're giving him credit for the good (I.e. - regular season wins) then you also need to give him blame for the bad (playoff implosions)

either the type of  players brought in to the team specifically, or the respect players in general have for him as HC, or some combo of the 2 is not working 

I would not want him as my HC

I agree with you he has to take the blame. There is no other way for this to end. I'm just saying that he will get another job because he does have a good resume', much better than  many guys who are in the league, or are trying to get HC jobs. I can see why you wouldn't want him, but if I were an owner, I'd have no problem hiring him.

Coaches and trainers routinely go on the field when a player is injured. Also, many Bengals defensive players went on the field during one scrum, including Burfict, which should be a penalty. Not excusing anything, but at least Porter has a valid reason in theory. 

Yeah, but coaches and trainers don't usually talk sh*t while on the field for an injury. Porter is grade A asshat and the penalties  should have been off setting at best. 

True that Fartboy99.  Can you imaete rules of 20 years ago, Bengals get the stop on that last drive.  The game has changed.

We weren't in the game....I am over that.  The point is, Hill should have had both arms wrapped around that ball, not fighting for an extra two yards in that situation.  AJ McCarron did a pretty good job, but this has happened over and over with this team.  If that would have been the Jets and players pulled that at the end of a game to cost a playoff win, EVERYONE here would be calling for Rex' head. 

This is about as wrong as one can be. I don't like the Steelers, but that was so obviously a penalty that I don't even know what to say. The ball was through Brown's hands and ten yards down the field when Burfict launched himself helmet first into Brown's helmet. Blatantly a penalty. It's not even a debate. Pacman's problem was putting his hands on the refs. Without that, there would have been no flag. Just really really stupid behavior on both counts by the Bungles.

it wasn't helmet to helmet n it wasn't 10 yards. More like 3 yards by the time Antonio lands on his first foot. See first pic. Burfict hit Antonio around the ribs height with shoulder but Antonio, hence the shoulder to helmet blow. See 2nd pic. There was no launching. 

Steelers were taunting the Bengals even before the game started  it was part of the game plan. Mike sh*tlin was at the midfield looking at Bengals practicing. He had no business doing so, even if it was within the rules  they Porter had no business running his mouth off in between the Bengal players. One thing to note is, Antonio put his hand up to another Pitsbutgh player right after he went down to get up  the other player held Antonios arm by the elbow n said something, most likely told him to stay down, take his time n act concussed. I could be wrong there. See the third pic  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That whole scrum at the end of the game had Bengals players all over the field, offensive and defensive, getting in scrums, yelling at refs, doing everything they shouldn't be doing. Then they pan to Lewis and he's just standing there. Lewis has always had a penchant for trying to sign and turn around troubled players, but it always bites him in the ass. He had zero control of his team. He has to be fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it wasn't helmet to helmet n it wasn't 10 yards. More like 3 yards by the time Antonio lands on his first foot. See first pic. Burfict hit Antonio around the ribs height with shoulder but Antonio, hence the shoulder to helmet blow. See 2nd pic. There was no launching. 

Steelers were taunting the Bengals even before the game started  it was part of the game plan. Mike sh*tlin was at the midfield looking at Bengals practicing. He had no business doing so, even if it was within the rules  they Porter had no business running his mouth off in between the Bengal players. One thing to note is, Antonio put his hand up to another Pitsbutgh player right after he went down to get up  the other player held Antonios arm by the elbow n said something, most likely told him to stay down, take his time n act concussed. I could be wrong there. See the third pic  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

the call on Burfict was GARBAGE

That whole scrum at the end of the game had Bengals players all over the field, offensive and defensive, getting in scrums, yelling at refs, doing everything they shouldn't be doing. Then they pan to Lewis and he's just standing there. Lewis has always had a penchant for trying to sign and turn around troubled players, but it always bites him in the ass. He had zero control of his team. He has to be fired.

so what's Marvin Lewis supposed to do?  Body slam his own players like a bouncer at a Scores throwing out a bunch of drunks?

Marvin Lewis is not getting fired.  Burfict getting a completely garbage call against him and Hill fumbling were not his fault.  There's 7 head coaching vacancies and not a lot of good candidates.

so what's Marvin Lewis supposed to do?  Body slam his own players like a bouncer at a Scores throwing out a bunch of drunks?

Marvin Lewis is not getting fired.  Burfict getting a completely garbage call against him and Hill fumbling were not his fault.  There's 7 head coaching vacancies and not a lot of good candidates.

It's a culture. You set the boundaries well before in the locker room, practice, film rooms, everywhere. That team has zero discipline. Zero. That's on the coach. Lewis has a reputation for bringing in troubled players, and it bites him in the ass every time.

The difference between the Jets and Bengals situations is expectations prior to the season.

Jets were coming off of a 4-12 season so 10 wins (despite not making the playoffs) is a solid job.

Bengals have been coming off 4 straight playoff seasons with no wins, so the least they had to do was win a postseason game.

Bengals, because of the expectations, had a more disappointing season than the Jets IMO.

It's a culture. You set the boundaries well before in the locker room, practice, film rooms, everywhere. That team has zero discipline. Zero. That's on the coach. Lewis has a reputation for bringing in troubled players, and it bites him in the ass every time.

Burfict and a few other players were completely out of control from before the game.  That's on Lewis.  Period.

Marvin Lewis has proven he can't win a playoff game.  Plenty of times he has fielded a good Bengals team in the playoffs and to come away with no wins is disgraceful.  What is he 0-7 with the Bengals in the playoffs now?

The king of one and done

I don't usually agree with Primetime, but he's right here. As defenders, you are going full speed. And when LBs are covering, they pay attention to the receiver, not the ball. Burfict lowered his shoulders. When you do that, you're lowering the targeted area to around the ribs height n below. Shouldn't be illegal, wasn't dirty, play on. 

The call was perfectly fine. I am sorry, but Burfict had plenty of time to hold back a little. He went after Brown with intent to do serious injury. Sure it was his shoulder, and not helmet, but Burfict was clearly gunning for Browns head. 

Burfict has been a criminal thug since college. Many teams wanted no part of him because of his track record (and failure to take the combine seriously) and now we see why. The Bengals just love bringing in guys like him and Pacman Jones. That's fine until their true colors come out. Now they will have to deal with the consequences. 

I watched Burfict in college and he cost his team multiple games with personal foul penalty after personal foul penalty until his head coach was forced to bench him. This isn't a guy who made 1 innocent mistake, this is a guy with a history of poor judgment. When you take everything into account, he will be suspended for at least 1 game next season. 

Think Lewis is 0-8, no?

0-7 found this on a bengals site (written before the game)

The history of Marvin Lewis in the playoffs is no secret. Yet, the opportunity exists this weekend to reach a new level of playoff futility. Should the Bengals fall to the Steelers, Lewis would rank first in NFL history for most playoff games coached without a victory. Last season, he tied Jim Mora (New Orleans, Indianapolis) with a sixth playoff loss without a victory.

• t1. Marvin Lewis: 6
  • t1. Jim Mora: 6
  • 2. Buddy Ryan: 3
  • 3. Allie Sherman: 3
  • 4. 6 tied with 2

Incredibly, Mora and Lewis have been in their own territory for a long time. Even with a win, Lewis would still fall into a corner alone in NFL history. No coaches with at least seven postseason games coached have recorded only one victory. George Allen (LA Rams, Washington) and Steve Owen (NY Giants) collected just two victories.

True that Fartboy99.  Can you imagine the Raiders and Steelers of the 70's watching this crap.  I mean if they played now they'd be handcuffed and imprisoned on the field.

If those teams played today's Bengals or Steelers, their O and D lines would be too busy getting blown at least 5 yards backwards on every snap to worry too much about how the game is being called.  The game is a lot different now, some good, some bad.

0-7 found this on a bengals site (written before the game)

The history of Marvin Lewis in the playoffs is no secret. Yet, the opportunity exists this weekend to reach a new level of playoff futility. Should the Bengals fall to the Steelers, Lewis would rank first in NFL history for most playoff games coached without a victory. Last season, he tied Jim Mora (New Orleans, Indianapolis) with a sixth playoff loss without a victory.

• t1. Marvin Lewis: 6
  • t1. Jim Mora: 6
  • 2. Buddy Ryan: 3
  • 3. Allie Sherman: 3
  • 4. 6 tied with 2

Incredibly, Mora and Lewis have been in their own territory for a long time. Even with a win, Lewis would still fall into a corner alone in NFL history. No coaches with at least seven postseason games coached have recorded only one victory. George Allen (LA Rams, Washington) and Steve Owen (NY Giants) collected just two victories.

Yeah, I messed up.  Thanks for the correction, Ohio.

Archived