Jets made offer to Tennessee for #1 pick

Matt39

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Jets failed to get it done. 

Curious - do you simply mean that they didn't get it done, or do you see the fact that they were unwilling to part with more than the Rams as a bad move, an abject failure? In other words, if the Jets went and gave the Titans our #1 and 2 this year, and our #1 in 2017-2020, would that be a success in your eyes?

And if it's the latter, which QB are you saying is worth giving up more than the Rams did?

15 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I can always get your attention. 

"Wow, That was easy" lol.

Still got you on strings. @RutgersJetFan has given me the name of "The bad guy". I can play that role. You guys need people like me so you can point your ******* fingers! 

So what does that make you? Good? 

Got me on strings. LOL

Yes, I've never seen anyone master getting someone's attention quite the way you do it... by direct quoting or @mentioning people by name. You are truly a master.

You just don't do well with having your patented brand of goofball statements shoveled back down your trap... and you're modeling it now for everyone.

I'm a relentless doosh... but given that I know how much you can and cannot take, I'm really not going to fire back at you the way I would most people.

Enjoy your evening.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Got me on strings. LOL

Yes, I've never seen anyone master getting someone's attention quite the way you do it... by direct quoting or @mentioning people by name. You are truly a master.

You just don't do well with having your patented brand of goofball statements shoveled back down your trap... and you're modeling it now for everyone.

I'm a relentless doosh... but given that I know how much you can and cannot take, I'm really not going to fire back at you the way I would most people.

Enjoy your evening.

TL;DR. 

latest?cb=20130622093509

lol. 

As much as I want a franchise QB, thank God for the Rams. Even close to what they gave up is far too much for Goff.

This.

Many said they made a mistake picking Gurley too. 

I think "risk" is more accurate - I think anyone could have said that if he came back 100%, he was going to be a quality NFL RB.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=11284

Sources close to the situation tell me the New York Jets made a serious offer to the Tennessee Titans for the initial pick of the draft. Those with knowledge of the situation tell me the team was close to getting the deal done.

I’m told it is believed veteran defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson was part of the deal.

And while many in the New York area dismissed my initial report earlier this week over the New York Jets being dark horses for trading to the top of the draft, it was revealed within 24 hours of the report that Jared Goff would be making an official visit to the franchise. Goff won’t be make it past the fourth pick of the draft.

Will the Jets continue to attempt to move up into the early reaches of round one? Sources tell me they believe so but much depends on who the Los Angeles Rams ultimately select with the first pick in two weeks time.

9 minutes ago, jett said:

I don't even know what to say about this. I have a lot of faith in Maccagnan and Co. So this actually, if true, makes me think that much more of Goff/Wentz. Idk what to think anymore

Seems to be we're gunning for Goff, seeing as how much the Jets scouted the guy last year. Going to spring practices I believe. Still think we have a shot at him, believe Wentz is the guy Rams are going for, hence why they jumped the Browns. Will be interesting to see if the Browns are interested in drafting Goff now that their guy pretty much got stolen and they have RG3 now. If memory serves me right I think there was an article about Hue wanting bigger/large hand qbs or something like that.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree. The only two QB's that I like is Carson Wentz and Kevin Hogan, though I dont think Goff is bad. Neither one should be on the field the first year. I dont think the Jets should move up to get Wentz either. I would prefer we simply trade Wilkerson for a 2nd rounder, trade a 3rd or 4th for Glennon and lets see what happens this season. Did you see our schedule this season? Brutal bro. There is no reason to pay Fitz to play against those teams. Give that team to a guy like Glennon, draft Hogan somewhere in the 4th or 5th round and maybe we'll luck up with Glennon, but if we dont like what we see...based on that schedule we werent going to make the playoffs with Fitz as the QB anyway. Then we can either move on from Glennon, move Hogan up if he seems legit or get a QB next year with possibly a much better draft position. 

I personally believe Glennon could show enough to really earn his keep. I'd rather spend a 3rd rounder to find that out than ship a bunch of draft picks to the Browns to draft a QB that isnt ready. 

IMO strangely enough the fact that the Jets didn't make this move makes Glennon coming to the Jets that much more likely. 

It tells us that Glennon could be the Jets choice if they can't draft their own high draft pick which makes some sense. 

What I do know is Mac will not permit Fitz & Petty be the only QBs fighting for playing time in 2017.

I have a hard time believing Glennon is a real option.  If I'm not mistaken, he will be a free agent after this season.  To get him, we would have to give up a pretty high draft pick and if he had any success what so ever next year, we would be in the same boat we are currently in.  The bar has been set for stop gap, mediocre QBs to reap a Kings ransom when they hit the open market.

if he doesn't play a down this year, then sign him to back up money next year.  And that's only if we strike out in this draft and Petty doesn't make incredible progress next years.

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

lol

I know you're trolling, but it's pretty hard to make a fake case for them failing. The Rams made the biggest jump to 1 overall in history, and they had more ammo than us, and we were 5 picks later than them.

I, for one, and glad we didn't just throw away the next 2 years of drafting - considering how shallow this roster is.

What would we all do for the next 2 years if the Jets made a deal like the Rams did?

"Hey Billy, who you think we're drafting on Saturday with the #158th pick"?

How many threads would be started about a 5'11" 260 lb. Center from West Abeline City College

Those poor Rams fans!! I think I'll troll their boards for an hour and see what the reactions are... probably 50% for 50% against!

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Whats up with you? You been on some sh*ttiness for about a week now. It's a bit unusual. Just look how you're talking to people. 

And I've read a couple of prior comments from you and you're even resorting to baiting. 

Wife kicked you out of the house or something? It really sounds like you've had a sh*tty life for the past week. You need a hug man? Relax. 

In fairness to The Ape..... this all started with an innocuous post by him to Joe Willy's post about the "Jets failing to get it done"

JW took offense(for no apparent reason) and it has kept escalating.

One of them needs to step back and be the adult.

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

In fairness to The Ape..... this all started with an innocuous post by him to Joe Willy's post about the "Jets failing to get it done"

I took the step back from responding to him,in all fairness to me my opinion is the Jets failed to get the pick if they tried. 

Almost only counts in hand grenades and horse shoes. 

8 hours ago, ylekram said:

its kinda like poker. no matter how good you are, how well you play, bad luck will send you home. same as gm'ing. no matter how good a scout you are, to find that franchise guy, you need a little luck. put all you eggs in one basket, 9 out of 10 times, you lose your job.

How much pressure you think their newly drafter "savior" will be feeling from the fan base if he isn't starting over Foles yr. 1?

Noose gets tighter if he fails to produce yr. 2

GM/Coach gone yr. 3 if he's not a top 15 QB by this time

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I took the step back from responding to him,in all fairness to me my opinion is the Jets failed to get the pick if they tried. 

I understand JW.... it's just his initial response to your post appeared to be a "ribbing"  IMO

Anyway, glad you de-escalated. Draft not coming soon enough!!!

We're all crammed on this board "waiting" for a shoe to drop.

Disappointing we missed on Wentz, but I'm glad we didn't seel our souls for it.

As I posted above....

What would we all do for the next 2 years if the Jets made a deal like the Rams did?

"Hey Billy, who you think we're drafting on Saturday with the #158th pick"?

How many threads would be started about a 5'11" 260 lb. Center from West Abeline City College

Those poor Rams fans!! I think I'll troll their boards for an hour and see what the reactions are... probably 50% for 50% against!

8 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. Of all of the "Franchise QB's" in the league, I dont recall any of them being drafted by a team that gave up 2 year worth of draft picks. Matter of fact, about the luck aspect of things. The last team that basically sold everything to move up in the draft "Redskins" drafted RG3 and ended up getting their actual QB during that same draft in the 4th round, and the QB they invested all of those picks in basically was the QB that allowed the 4th rounder to sit in the back ground and work. 

Today RG3 in on the Browns and that 4th rounder that the Redskins didnt have to give up any draft picks for is the QB. How many times must we see this before we realize that you're just digging your franchise a hole while at the same time potentially developing another franchise. 

It's downright "Ditka-esque"

I will never be of the school that you do "anything" to get a franchise QB. There are responsible deals that preserve the health of the entire roster, and deals that sacrifice it for the sake of one key player -- and do so years into the future. I'm guessing that Mac figured what his reasonable cost was and it was simply not close to the desperation move by the Rams. For Wentz or Goff, an organization should not be mortgaged. For this year, I agree with the thinking that we should look  to the second or later for a developmental prospect, unless by sheer luck somebody like Lynch falls to 20. Even then, you have a project and the move would be questionable. Not an easy year for QB given where the Jets are in the draft.

They didn't have as far to go, but the Giants gave up a bunch of picks for Eli Manning and that worked out pretty well.

You don't often see trades like that for a quarterback because teams in a position to draft one often need the quarterback. So they'll just take the guy.

Eli refused to play for the Chargers, the Rams had Bradford, and the Titans have Mariota.

This year is kind of unique because we don't even know who the top guy is. Right now people believe the Rams could have traded up for either Goff or Wentz and that probably won't be leaked for a bit to retain the intrigue.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I was actually trolling the ape with my comment. lol. 

10 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

This just shows that our GM, HC and FO are really on point.

It's an uncorroborated report from a dumb guy about a trade that didn't happen, whose proposed terms we don't know, and which may never even have been contemplated internally one way or the other. It doesn't 'just show' anything.

8 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Sources close to the situation tell me the New York Jets made a serious offer to the Tennessee Titans for the initial pick of the draft. Those with knowledge of the situation tell me the team was close to getting the deal done.

I’m told it is believed veteran defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson was part of the deal.

And while many in the New York area dismissed my initial report earlier this week over the New York Jets being dark horses for trading to the top of the draft, it was revealed within 24 hours of the report that Jared Goff would be making an official visit to the franchise. Goff won’t be make it past the fourth pick of the draft.

Will the Jets continue to attempt to move up into the early reaches of round one? Sources tell me they believe so but much depends on who the Los Angeles Rams ultimately select with the first pick in two weeks time.

Maybe after meeting with Goff, they told Tennessee to go f*ck themselves.

9 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

If anybody is actually interested in getting better at assessing the quality of information, ponder what it means when a guy who doesn't tend to equivocate even when he's completely talking out of his ass begins a sentence with two qualifiers.

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

No way Jets were looking to trade up for a QB.  Bowles has already said he's comfortable with Geno, right?

Exactly. We're as comfortable with Geno as the Rams are with Keenum. ;-)

I did think that the timing of this was interesting ... only reason to make the trade now, rather than draft day, is to lock out other parties. If you're the only guy seriously trying to move up, you agree a deal and keep hush hush till the day itself.

Depending on what happens at #1, Jets may still be in play for trading to #2 (hmmm ... trade with the Browns to draft a QB, that sounds familiar ...). My worry would be that the Browns will expect a deal very similar to what Tenn got from LA, could lead to an interesting poker game on draft night; in a way, rumours that we walked away could work in our favour as it'll prove to Cleveland that we won't overpay for their pick either. Wilk to the Browns - makes sense I guess, but I'd feel sorry for him if he does get traded to that franchise. Maybe the possibility of that'll frighten him enough to sign a more reasonable deal to stay in NY longer term. :D

10 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Exactly. Of all of the "Franchise QB's" in the league, I dont recall any of them being drafted by a team that gave up 2 year worth of draft picks. Matter of fact, about the luck aspect of things. The last team that basically sold everything to move up in the draft "Redskins" drafted RG3 and ended up getting their actual QB during that same draft in the 4th round, and the QB they invested all of those picks in basically was the QB that allowed the 4th rounder to sit in the back ground and work. 

Today RG3 in on the Browns and that 4th rounder that the Redskins didnt have to give up any draft picks for is the QB. How many times must we see this before we realize that you're just digging your franchise a hole while at the same time potentially developing another franchise. 

There's the other side of this coin, and that's the times a team said its not worth it (not talking about 2016). One that sticks out for me is this one the Jets didn't make:

In 2008, we had an offer to move up from #6 to #2 to leapfrog Atlanta and take Ryan. They wanted our 1st rounder in 2009 to move up those 4 slots, which was deemed to be too much. Whatever one thinks of Ryan, he's a lot better than using that #6 overall, plus next year's 1 and 2 and a few vets, on Gholston and Sanchez. There would also have been enough cap space leftover to sign/upgrade yet another vet, since they were all top picks under the old rookie wage scale.

Turning that down led to Gholston, then Favre, then almost everyone's most hated HC, then Sanchez, then re-signing Sanchez, which led Idzik, which led to Geno...

So I can think of at least one time it would have been better to bet the farm (as it's put). I'm sure there were others. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There's the other side of this coin, and that's the times a team said its not worth it (not talking about 2016). One that sticks out for me is this one the Jets didn't make.

In 2008, we had an offer to move up from 6 to 2 to leapfrog Atlanta and take Ryan. They wanted our #1 in 2009 to move up those 4 slots. Whatever one thinks of Ryan, he's a lot better than using that #6 overall, plus next year's 1 and 2 and a few vets, on Gholston and Sanchez. There would also have been enough cap space leftover to sign/upgrade yet another vet, since they were all top picks under the old rookie wage scale.

Turning that down led to Gholston, then Favre, then almost everyone's most hated HC, then Sanchez, then re-signing Sanchez, which led Idzik, which led to Geno...

So I can think of at least one time it would have been better to bet the farm (as it's put). I'm sure there were others. 

I can respect that, but in essence thats a "woulda shoulda" situation. Maybe we jump up and we end up not developing him, maybe we jump and we have our Franchise QB. Who knows. It looks great with hindsight. However, the Redskins probably looked at that situation and said "We dont want to be that team that misses out on this year's Matt Ryan. We're going to get RG3". Then it blows up in your face then you realize that all you did was help provide a great defense for the Rams. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

I can respect that, but in essence thats a "woulda shoulda" situation. Maybe we jump up and we end up not developing him, maybe we jump and we have our Franchise QB. Who knows. It looks great with hindsight. However, the Redskins probably looked at that situation and said "We dont want to be that team that misses out on this year's Matt Ryan. We're going to get RG3". Then it blows up in your face then you realize that all you did was help provide a great defense for the Rams. 

Of course it's a "woulda shoulda" who says it isn't? 3 pages of people are looking at bad trade-ups in the past - as are you now with RG3 - as "wouldn't-a shouldn't-a" so what's the difference?

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Of course it's a "woulda shoulda" who says it isn't? 3 pages of people are looking at bad trade-ups in the past - as are you now with RG3 - as "wouldn't-a shouldn't-a" so what's the difference?

The difference that I was presenting is that I can show tangible examples of why its a bad idea to sell off your future for a rookie QB simply because you're looking for your "franchise QB". Every team that doesnt have a franchise QB is looking for one, however, until you find that guy you have to find ways to building in other ways and limiting your weaknesses. 

I was just saying that you didnt show a tangible example. Show me a situation where a team did something similar to what the Rams did yesterday and it worked. I can show you when teams did similar moves and it didnt work. Thats what I meant with the "woulda shoulda". 

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I guess you did take the high road when you posted that tweet by Alex Marvez in an attempt to put the convo back on-topic.

Oh wait.

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The difference that I was presenting is that I can show tangible examples of why its a bad idea to sell off your future for a rookie QB simply because you're looking for your "franchise QB". Every team that doesnt have a franchise QB is looking for one, however, until you find that guy you have to find ways to building in other ways and limiting your weaknesses. 

I was just saying that you didnt show a tangible example. Show me a situation where a team did something similar to what the Rams did yesterday and it worked. I can show you when teams did similar moves and it didnt work. Thats what I meant with the "woulda shoulda". 

Why is this incumbent upon me to show that? Maybe it hasn't been done. But sometimes it could have been done, if only a team had pulled the trigger on trading up, which was my point.

The reality is there haven't been very many of these trade-the-farm deals. It's not like there are 5 of them every year for the past 30 years so it should be simple for me to find one that worked out. Far from it.

35 minutes ago, jamesr said:

I did think that the timing of this was interesting ... only reason to make the trade now, rather than draft day, is to lock out other parties. If you're the only guy seriously trying to move up, you agree a deal and keep hush hush till the day itself.

Depending on what happens at #1, Jets may still be in play for trading to #2 (hmmm ... trade with the Browns to draft a QB, that sounds familiar ...). My worry would be that the Browns will expect a deal very similar to what Tenn got from LA, could lead to an interesting poker game on draft night; in a way, rumours that we walked away could work in our favour as it'll prove to Cleveland that we won't overpay for their pick either. Wilk to the Browns - makes sense I guess, but I'd feel sorry for him if he does get traded to that franchise. Maybe the possibility of that'll frighten him enough to sign a more reasonable deal to stay in NY longer term. :D

I got the sense, reading clipping this morning, that the Rams got themselves a good old fashioned hustling... report I read was the Rams bit the bullet and paid the "iron price" because they feared the Eagles were about to get a deal done.

Well, I credit Tennessee for manufacturing that pressure. I think Tenn taking offers and entertaining talks with other teams created a partially false sense of urgency, and the Rams blinked first. Dummies.

Archived