Is it wrong to be so optimistic?

Jetster

There's one thing that we all know regarding this new NFL, there are very few COMPLETE football teams & there are really no dynasties left. In Denver their new QB is Mark Sanchez, they lost their best interior Dlineman in free agency, Talib was shot & Demarcus Ware is suffering from back problems.

The Raiders will be better but they are really young and will have their ups & downs. Houston has Hopkins holding out & Watt has back issues. The Steelers offense is very good but their defense gave up 39 points multiple times. Cincy had their chances & are due to slip back to the mean. Personally I believe the Jets will be competing with the Patriots, Chiefs, Steelers, Raiders. And the beauty of this scenario is we get to play three of these teams & the Pats twice. Screw easy schedules, let's beat the supposed best! Those head to head matchups are so important when it comes to playoff seeds.

Confidence is a huge factor in sports, not overconfidence, but the Jets have the opportunity to make a statement early in the season, starting with Cincy, getting 10 days to ready for the Chiefs, and playing the Steelers. Later in the season they play the Pats twice. I haven't forgotten the Bills, I just do not see the Bills as a playoff team. I don't see Rex "developing players". Plus, I believe we lost both games while we were still finding our way & were undermanned at RB in both contests. We'll attack Rex with Forte & Powell in the passing game this time.

So while the schedule is daunting on the surface, there is not one team in the AFC that the Jets can't beat. Let's hope the Pats lose at least 2 of their 4 without Brady. I think they get smoked in the opener @ Arizona, I have no idea vs Bills, Texans, Miami, they could easily win all 3 even with Jimmy G at QB. Best bet is the Bills with Rex all out blitzing. People forget that Brady is NOT ALLOWED to practice with the team during his suspension. They could slip & lose a couple when he returns from Brady just being rusty, I mean he did just turn 39.

If our wins vs the tough schedule come vs the AFC & we trip up vs NFC (Cards/Seahawks) that's the perfect scenario. This might be the most complete team the Jets have had since 1998. A good mix of veterans & youth with a competent QB. Let's hope Fitz makes it through the opener though. Have some faith & just enjoy the season, I think it's gonna be one of the most exciting since 2010.

I am always cautiously optimistic every season- i have no allusions we are a  great team- but if things break right and with some pleasant surprises -you get in the playoffs and anything can happen- look at the Giants as examples

On a week to week basis, I don't see how we can't match up fairly well with most of the teams we face.  We're built for just about any weather with our running game looking like it will be improved (not ever having to rely on a Stevan Ridley-caliber RB will be a step up by default), and we have a lot more depth all over the field than we had prior to Macc.  That bodes well for late in the season when teams are running on fumes. 

It seems I have timed the start of my support for the Jets and the first trip to MetLife almost to perfection...I am optimistic. 

Well aside from the sucky QB, the shrimp LB, the soon te be injured again CB, the suspended DE, the in anger punting WR, the terrible OL, the lack of a power RB, the lost punter competition, the wasted draft picks, the tough schedule...help me here I am forgetting somehing...

56 minutes ago, Jetster said:

There's one thing that we all know regarding this new NFL, there are very few COMPLETE football teams & there are really no dynasties left. In Denver their new QB is Mark Sanchez, they lost their best interior Dlineman in free agency, Talib was shot & Demarcus Ware is suffering from back problems.

The Raiders will be better but they are really young and will have their ups & downs. Houston has Hopkins holding out & Watt has back issues. The Steelers offense is very good but their defense gave up 39 points multiple times. Cincy had their chances & are due to slip back to the mean. Personally I believe the Jets will be competing with the Patriots, Chiefs, Steelers, Raiders. And the beauty of this scenario is we get to play three of these teams & the Pats twice. Screw easy schedules, let's beat the supposed best! Those head to head matchups are so important when it comes to playoff seeds.

Confidence is a huge factor in sports, not overconfidence, but the Jets have the opportunity to make a statement early in the season, starting with Cincy, getting 10 days to ready for the Chiefs, and playing the Steelers. Later in the season they play the Pats twice. I haven't forgotten the Bills, I just do not see the Bills as a playoff team. I don't see Rex "developing players". Plus, I believe we lost both games while we were still finding our way & were undermanned at RB in both contests. We'll attack Rex with Forte & Powell in the passing game this time.

So while the schedule is daunting on the surface, there is not one team in the AFC that the Jets can't beat. Let's hope the Pats lose at least 2 of their 4 without Brady. I think they get smoked in the opener @ Arizona, I have no idea vs Bills, Texans, Miami, they could easily win all 3 even with Jimmy G at QB. Best bet is the Bills with Rex all out blitzing. People forget that Brady is NOT ALLOWED to practice with the team during his suspension. They could slip & lose a couple when he returns from Brady just being rusty, I mean he did just turn 39.

If our wins vs the tough schedule come vs the AFC & we trip up vs NFC (Cards/Seahawks) that's the perfect scenario. This might be the most complete team the Jets have had since 1998. A good mix of veterans & youth with a competent QB. Let's hope Fitz makes it through the opener though. Have some faith & just enjoy the season, I think it's gonna be one of the most exciting since 2010.

i like the optimism. Why not?

It is certainly the best time of year for optimism.  I get sucked into the hype most years and end up nudging my own season prediction to a higher number.

We have some guys with an injury history who if they stay healthy, will change the picture for us in a positive way.  We also have a bunch of older guys who we need to (a) not decline in performance and (b) to stay healthy.  Physical decline is always a concern with older players.  It looks like we may also have a punter for the first time in forever.  I believe that this will help us significantly in close games.  Field position makes a difference and it can be cumulative if your team is really bad at it  (like us).  If all of these things or even most of them break in our favor AND if we can avoid a terrible start to the first six games then things might start to get tasty around here.

I tend toward optimism on some things.  I don't fear the schedule as much as some, although a game like Arizona I can't see the Jets winning.  But that to me is the only SURE loss on the schedule.  There's also a reasonable basis for hope in improving TE production, RB in the passing game, and perhaps best of all improved play and more speed at LB.

But the OL is a concern.  It was a concern going into camp, and early indications are that they are not doing well in the power running game.  Can't someone step up in this corps?  I am hardly alone in being concerned here, and that's assuming Clady is healthy and stays that way.  The right side is the real problem, and may end up having the two worst starters on the whole team, O and D.  Not good, and that more than anything tempers my optimism. And small things like the Jets do not have a punt returner set.  And again who is the go to option at 3rd wideout, and who is the #2 cb.  But the main concern is OL, especially RG and RT.

After listening to fitz,Marshall, decker and revis on boomer and carton this morning I'm buying in.  These guys are staying late in practice on their own, working on the intricacies of the game, communication and routes etc.. So yeah it's time to be optimistic.  

The only real negatives as compared to last season is the loss of Snacks. You can also add Ivory to that list. But Mac went out and got replacements like McClendon. Forte is a better version of Bilal (who is pretty good) but he doesn't replace that element of power we had in Ivory. As fof the O-line It all depends on Clady. If he plays well it's an improvement over Brick. And possibly a big improvement. Giacomini stuck out because of the penalties but what about his blocking. They so far have kept him so they must feel he is at least satisfactory. I see this team like last year being competitive with all of it's opponents including Arizona. The secondary could be very good esp with a healthier Revis. And with no Cro. So when I look at it with a glass half full perspective I see mostly positives. And having Fitz back is the key move for 2016. You don't need a great Qb and plenty of good ones played on losing teams last year. But he's a good fit on this team and knows the O scheme better than anyone. I think we can do a 10-6 this year again and hopefully get in. 

I'm more of a realist than a pessimist or an optimist.  Though when it comes to sports because of the teams I root for I tend to be more pessimistic.  That said, the realist in me says the Jets are nothing more than a fringe playoff team who could be anything from 6-10 to 10-6.   They're not going to win the division, they're not going to win the Super Bowl...they're literally the exact same team they were last year.  They should be able to beat the sh*tty teams, they'll struggle and most likely lose vs. the better teams and come Dec. they're just hoping to have a shot to get in.  Just like last year.  Hopefully this year they dont choke. 

I get very excited about some of the things that I hear coming out of camp like reports on Jalin Marshall, Jarvis Jenkins looking to be a day 1 starter, better speed on defense. But I firmly believe that Fitz is a complete fraud, and will be exposed badly in the first 6 games. If the defense and special teams can steal a couple of the first 6  we could make a playoff run, but more likely we are 1-5 and starting Geno or Hack game seven. I see some good foundational changes but we are not a win now team, and there is so much work needed on offense that we are likely 2-3 years away and need to have 2 offense heavy and successful drafts to be a good time. But having said that I will lose my voice and mind rooting for the Jets to win each game.

Here are some thoughts to keep in my as we head to the first pre-season game:

- Be careful of anyone bashing the OLine this early into camp.  The media is on the
sidelines and it's impossible to judge what's going on in the middle of the line.
To do that you have to be "vertical", the JAC game will start to tell what's going
on

- After standing on the sidelines I was surprised at the level of maturity of the team
during practice.  There's no goofing around, very little profanity and a ton of respect
towards the coaches.  Very noticeable culture change from the previous regime

- Reasons to be "cautiously" optimistic is on offense secondary options like Amaro,
Enunwa, Thompkins and Jalin Marshall are stepping up.  On defense young guys like
Milliner, Doug Middleton, Juston Burris, Darron Lee and Jordan Jenkins are stepping up.
And on specials Lachlan Edwards is a huge upgrade over Quigley and the influx of young
players has improved the speed of the coverage units 

The Jets need to be a better team than they were last year to match last year's 10-6 record. 

Todd Bowles needs to be a better head coach, make better in game adjustments. 

Matt Forte and Ryan Clady need to match or exceed expectations. 

The young LBs have to gel quickly. The lack of speed in the middle of the defense killed them last year. These kids are physically faster, but they have to be up to speed mentally to play faster. 

Someone has to take the outside CB job from Skrine, ideally it'll be Milliner. 

Special teams need dramatic improvement, and the Jets are relying on rookies at punter and the return jobs, it looks like. Boom or bust there. 

Most of the variables involve the old/injured, or rookies. No real sure fire improvements over last year's team, but some real potential. I'll stick to cautious optimism for now. 

I'm optimistic about the team, but realistic about the OL, arguably the most important position group. We've seen them play, and they are average at best. Clady, if healthy, can pass block. Not a great run blocker, and that was a weakness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the time of year when all teams are going to the SB. This certainly does look like an improved tam on paper. Speed at LB. Better ST play and coaching. The OL will take a bit of time to gel. They have to stay healthy. I am hopeful that one of the younger OL step up.

Mismatch football will help the Jets win games with all of the options at WR, RB and a pass catching TE

Fans should be optimistic. After all this is all about entertainment. Being gloom and doom isn't any fun. If we win the close games this year we'll have a good record and get in. But if we lose them we don't get in and probably are .500 or under. I see us being a competitive team and most games being close and within reach. But none being easy. The difference between 10-6 and 6-10 might not be all that much. 

21 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Fans should be optimistic. After all this is all about entertainment. Being gloom and doom isn't any fun. If we win the close games this year we'll have a good record and get in. But if we lose them we don't get in and probably are .500 or under. I see us being a competitive team and most games being close and within reach. But none being easy. The difference between 10-6 and 6-10 might not be all that much. 

Win or lose anyone who finds watching Fitzpatrick play QB entertaining doesn't know what real entertaining football looks like.  Even when winning I want to vomit watching him play, and is the sole reason I watched the least amount of Jets football last year then ever before in my life, I'd find myself putting on the RZ channel just so I didn't have to watch that turd play QB for my team.  I assume I will be doing this even more this season regardless if the Jets are winning, or losing, I just can't stomach Fitz as QB.

1 hour ago, slats said:

The Jets need to be a better team than they were last year to match last year's 10-6 record. 

Todd Bowles needs to be a better head coach, make better in game adjustments. 

Matt Forte and Ryan Clady need to match or exceed expectations. 

The young LBs have to gel quickly. The lack of speed in the middle of the defense killed them last year. These kids are physically faster, but they have to be up to speed mentally to play faster. 

Someone has to take the outside CB job from Skrine, ideally it'll be Milliner. 

Special teams need dramatic improvement, and the Jets are relying on rookies at punter and the return jobs, it looks like. Boom or bust there. 

Most of the variables involve the old/injured, or rookies. No real sure fire improvements over last year's team, but some real potential. I'll stick to cautious optimism for now. 

Could there be any classified as such outside of spending big FA $$$$ on a starter?  I mean, even if we have an all pro playing injured for the last part of the season, isnt there a risk of him not coming back as the player he was before the injury?  Lets take Revis, couldnt he be considered a sure fire improvement to our secondary?  Unable to jam the last game, if he was 100% do we win? Injury was to his wrist so i cant see it impacting his quickness this year so i would expect him to be improved, sure fire? IDK

I'm not sure there are ever any sure fire improvements. May just be my personality.  I see lots of opportunity for improvements over last years team that are on our roster.  Going out and putting it on the field is what the season is about.

19 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Win or lose anyone who finds watching Fitzpatrick play QB entertaining doesn't know what real entertaining football looks like.  Even when winning I want to vomit watching him play, and is the sole reason I watched the least amount of Jets football last year then ever before in my life, I'd find myself putting on the RZ channel just so I didn't have to watch that turd play QB for my team.  I assume I will be doing this even more this season regardless if the Jets are winning, or losing, I just can't stomach Fitz as QB.

Watching a 10 win team whose QB put up franchise record breaking stats sounds miserable. I don't blame you. 

If you can't be optimistic about a team with Marshall/Decker/Forte/Mangold/Williams/Wilk/Richardson/Revis/Pryor and emerging players like Mauldin/Enunwa/Lee/Marshall/Jenkins, you really need to stop following football. Sure our schedule is tough, but I am pretty sure other teams look at our roster and aren't thrilled to have us on their schedule. 

46 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Agree with you on the entertainment part. Which is why you gotta enjoy the journey and not take the position "any season that doesn't end in a SB win is abject failure!"

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Sound pretty childish to me. Did he refuse to give you an autograph. or are you jealous of the beard? 

Why not be optimistic? It's a new football year with all the opportunities in front of us. It must be miserable being a fan who is already sour about the season.

I know the team has problem areas and we may not be a lock for the SB but that doesn't mean I have to surrender optimism and enjoying being a fan.

Archived