Was this Cincy loss more bitter than other painful losses?

TuscanyTile2

For some reason it was to me.  I just feel like we actually showed we can slug it out w/ a good team and throw them around (7 sacks) but we still lost.  This is a different kind of painful but it's almost because for a while there I started to think the Jets might legitimately be good this season.  (hopefully they still will be)

I'm sure by Thursday I'll be optimistic again (call me crazy but I think we're going to sweep the Bills this year) but starting 0-2 would obviously be a huge downer.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Certainly not a historic loss or anything.  

However when you consider: 

1. It was the first game of the season.
  2. The previous meaningful game actually was a historic loss.
  3. Add in the fact all off season was spent in a stalemate with one of the main reasons for both losses and we paid him 12mil.

It definitely stings.

We held our own despite obvious falters, so that gives me hope for the season.

Had the Rats lost, it would not be as bad in the big picture. 

If we rip the head off Rex and defecate down the gizzard tube, it will soothe the burn from this loss a bit. A BIT

27 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

For me, that missed Doug Brien field goal is the absolute worst. Week 1 losses are easier to shrug off.

yeah I think that was the last time the Jets literally made me lose my equilibrium and hit the deck.  Where I stayed motionless for a good 6-7 minutes.

Following the way the Jets lost in a win-and-in game, to have all the same problems from two regimes - can't get off the field on third and long, lack creativity in in-game adjustments, key drops, special teams mistakes, and game-ending interceptions - contribute to the loss yesterday makes me bitter. The Pats win made it worse. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

For some reason it was to me.  I just feel like we actually showed we can slug it out w/ a good team and throw them around (7 sacks) but we still lost.  This is a different kind of painful but it's almost because for a while there I started to think the Jets might legitimately be good this season.  (hopefully they still will be)

I'm sure by Thursday I'll be optimistic again (call me crazy but I think we're going to sweep the Bills this year) but starting 0-2 would obviously be a huge downer.

I posted this in another thread earlier today which resembles your sentiment:

8 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I see that as HIGHLY encouraging. 

It was a GOOD game against a GOOD team that resulted in a typical Jets-ian LOSS snatched from the jaws of victory. This type of loss for a veteran team of that ilk can only light a bigger fire under their collective @$$e$ and cause them to play better as the season goes along. I'm not sugarcoating a turd, a loss still stinks, but the Jets can only benefit as a team from this experience and learn the lessons the ONLY WAY THEY KNOW HOW - the HARD way. 

As long as ALL CYLINDERS CLICK by week 5 going forward, it's part of a the Loooooooong NFL season where standings and team performances change drastically in a 17 week span. 

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

A few reasons that I've stated earlier, with the most significant being that the Jets once again beat themselves on Sunday (I've lost count of all the games they've done this over the years). It was a very winnable game against a playoff caliber team, and (at least for me) the Jets have yet to show that last year's 10-6 record wasn't just because of their soft schedule - that they can beat some of the better teams in the league. I was so excited on Sunday at the chance to finally say that, "The Jets really are a good team because they beat a playoff team!" Alas, they did nothing to prove that on Sunday. 

Also, let's face it, with their schedule, the Jets are gonna get flat out beaten this year by some of the powerhouse teams in the NFL, plus division rivals - the Seahawks, Cardinals, etc. Wins will be at a premium this year. If the Jets have any hopes for the playoffs, they absolutely cannot let winnable games slip through their fingers this year. The wins are going to be too hard to come by. 

Finally, I hate to say this, but the Darelle Revis era is officially over. Mark my words, he could go the way of Nnamdi Asomugha and get cut and be playing for the vet's minimum for someone else at the close of the season. I know everyone will laugh at me for saying this, but he seriously looked very mediocre on Sunday. Maybe Skrine and Williams should be the 1 and 2 CBs.

No not even close. Worst loss ever was the playoff game in Cleveland. Talk about beating yourself. We had the game won until Gas hit Kosar late and gave them new life. That followed by the Mud Bowl in Miami. Another brutal playoff loss that destroyed great expectations . And third was the playoff game vs. the Bills (only time they've faced each other during playoffs) in 1981 when Todd threw an int in last minute after making a ferocious comeback. That one really really hurt. Last year was no picnic either but wasn't as painful since the whole team just plain stunk it up. They deserved to lose after playing with no urgency. 

Not even close. I expected the Jets to win by 3 in ugly fashion and that's exactly what should have happened, minus fluke kicks.

In no particular order

- Last year ar Buffalo

- '98 Denver playoffs (probably the worst ever cause we would have killed Atlanta in the super bowl.)

- Cleveland playoffs

- Doug Brien in Pitt.

- '97 in Detroit always killed me.

- And a whole hell of a lot more.

But you know what opening home game always killed me? Jets Patriots 2008. Week 2, we have Brett Favre against. Brady-less Patriots, their first game with Matt Cassel starting and we lose at home. This week's loss feels bad to everyone cause its recent. But remember how hopeless you felt our season was after a game like that. That game was same old Jets, a lot more than this week was.

If being a Jets fan was a movie, you would have seen this loss coming a mile away, it was a SOJ classic, one of a hundred, not bitter or painful, so close yet so far away, and nowhere near top of the list since Fitz is on a 1 year deal, score was close, no injuries and when you look around the league;

Rams, Redskins, Browns, Bears and Bills losses all seem worse, Chargers blew a 21pt lead, Saints lost on a 2pt conversion after Bree's throws for 422 and 4 TD's, Colt's vs. Lions had no defense, in retrospect the Jets game was closer to Jaguars vs Packers, good game but one team had to lose...

10 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Certainly not a historic loss or anything.  

However when you consider: 

1. It was the first game of the season.
  2. The previous meaningful game actually was a historic loss.
  3. Add in the fact all off season was spent in a stalemate with one of the main reasons for both losses and we paid him 12mil.

It definitely stings.

More or less, this.

1 hour ago, jdeacon said:

Sure this loss sucks but it doesn't even come close to the rage inducing complete heartbreaks of the 09 afcc game, the 10 afcc game, buttfumble thanksgiving and so on and so on and so on. This registers very low in a disappointments.

Yup. This is more like spending months apart longing for this ideal relationship you never had, then getting back together with your crazy ex, and after your first fight instead of sex realizing: "Why did I come back to this."

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Yup. This is more like spending months apart longing for this ideal relationship you never had, then getting back together with your crazy ex, and after your first fight instead of sex realizing: "Why did I come back to this."

:lol: perfectly said

Despite the fact that we all knew about the tough schedule, there was a lot of feel good optimism following Fitzpatrick's eventual return to the fold.

If we were dominated, the loss might not have been so painful but missing a PAT, never mind a field goal and loosing by one point meant this would be a bitter pill.

To see a front seven so dominant and lose a game... tough.

We all choose to ignore the CB issue hoping that some young gun would come through. I expect the secondary coverage to improve but I am more concerned about whomever is starting opposite Revis.

4 hours ago, Gangrene said:

We all choose to ignore the CB issue hoping that some young gun would come through. I expect the secondary coverage to improve but I am more concerned about whomever is starting opposite Revis.

I'm not sure we can blame the secondary much.  Don't forget, our starting D faces our "#1" QB in practice.  

No wonder the safety didn't help over the top with AJ Green's TD... they're not used to seeing a ball travel more than 20 yards.

All the short/quick passes?  Well our secondary sure has seen short passes in practice, but quick?  Not so much.

Maybe we can still let Fitz start in games to keep fans happy.  But we have to let our starting D practice vs an NFL caliber arm.

11 hours ago, Powpow said:

No not even close. Worst loss ever was the playoff game in Cleveland. Talk about beating yourself. We had the game won until Gas hit Kosar late and gave them new life. That followed by the Mud Bowl in Miami. Another brutal playoff loss that destroyed great expectations . And third was the playoff game vs. the Bills (only time they've faced each other during playoffs) in 1981 when Todd threw an int in last minute after making a ferocious comeback. That one really really hurt. Last year was no picnic either but wasn't as painful since the whole team just plain stunk it up. They deserved to lose after playing with no urgency. 

Oh I totally agree with the Cleveland loss, but before the Buffalo loss at Shea which was a WC game (I was at that game BTW),  goes the Denver 1998 AFCCG being ahead and starting to taste it at halftime, only to fumble it away in the second half. Devastated. Not showing up for the Pittsburgh game in 2010. Devastating. No RS game can compare to the devastation of making all the way to the AFCCG only to lose there.

The day before the game, I saw Jets fans predicting a SB victory over Seattle. It's called delusion. That's why it was a bitter loss. Jets fans always seem to have sky high expectations, when there's no evidence to have such expectations. 

Teams go to the playoffs year after year and they lose but they get better, like the Bengals. The Jets have to make the playoffs again, just to have that experience.  Then, maybe, the expectations will be justified. To just expect the Jets to be good, and beat really good teams like the Bengals, is just hopeful delusion. 

12 hours ago, Powpow said:

You sir are showing your age.  I saw them all..would add the PITT loss in 2005, and all AFC championship games since 1998 where we had the lead at half in 2 of them.

Last years loss to Buffalo tightened my arse too!

5 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Oh I totally agree with the Cleveland loss, but before the Buffalo loss at Shea which was a WC game (I was at that game BTW),  goes the Denver 1998 AFCCG being ahead and starting to taste it at halftime, only to fumble it away in the second half. Devastated. Not showing up for the Pittsburgh game in 2010. Devastating. No RS game can compare to the devastation of making all the way to the AFCCG only to lose there.

OMG the Denever AFC game. So many heartbreakers - hard to keep track. ?

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

You sir are showing your age.  I saw them all..would add the PITT loss in 2005, and all AFC championship games since 1998 where we had the lead at half in 2 of them.

Last years loss to Buffalo tightened my arse too!

Im a lost cause. Jets fan since 1966. But like the Mets, when we win, its spectacular!

17 hours ago, bitonti said:

Teams go to the playoffs year after year and they lose but they get better, like the Bengals. The Jets have to make the playoffs again, just to have that experience. 

I agree there is an element of delusion but surely fans of every team are somewhat delusional. Without a franchise qb one could argue that playoffs or no playoffs, hopes of a an Superbowl are eternally delusional. The Jets made it to the playoffs twice with Rex but as we have experienced, past performance does not guarantee future results.  For these teams with the new generation of young qbs like the Bucs, the Raiders and even the Eagles, a possible trajectory to the Super Bowl is plausible within the next few years. The Ryans Fitzpatricks of the league are just fireflies, that light up intermittently, but have equal amounts of darkness in their flight to nowhere.

Archived