What prevents us going with Petty and Hack in 2017 as #1 and #2?

Fibonacci

Besides PSL owners and STH's who will be mad if we dedicate next year to see what we have in 2 young QB's? It is not like Jets are a perennial play off team. Let's dedicate next year to get rid of bloated vet contracts and to see what we have in these young QB's. Ride Petty first. See if he develops nicely. If he shows any hope, keep playing him. Say he sucks balls week after week. Bring along Hack and give him some game experience. Why spend another year with a vet QB? Thoughts?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should.  Bring in a mark sanchez type guy for a vet and hes the 3.  Petty and hack battle it out for 1 and 2.  If petty/hack bust, we will have a crappy record and take a qb high in the 2018 draft.

the biggest mistake we could make is sign a cutler/romo type guy and win 7-9 games w a guy like that.  

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We should.  Bring in a mark sanchez type guy for a vet and hes the 3.  Petty and hack battle it out for 1 and 2.  If petty/hack bust, we will have a crappy record and take a qb high in the 2018 draft.

the biggest mistake we could make is sign a cutler/romo type guy and win 7-9 games w a guy like that.  

Disagree

I liked what I saw from petty today and I think the coaching staff unfairly blackballed him but we need a veteran qb next year.  Not Romo or Cutler necessarily but someone who can compete.

Hopefully intelligence and football smarts prevent us from that. Petty had a very mediocre game against a scrub team. Stupid thinking like this is how we pass on guys like Carr and Bridgewater because Geno needs time. Bullsh*t. Until we know for sure we have a franchise level QB we need to keep drafting QB's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petty at least could be a reliable #2.. I don't even think they had confidence even depending on him in that role.. the #2 is important, this is two straight years we lost the starting qb for season.. why they had to sign fitz, was either him or bring in another vet.. Granted geno only had the starting job for half a game this yr, and didn't even make it out of camp last yr ha

What prevents that is NFL GM & Coaching Conservatism.

Put simply, coaches and GM's loathe going into a year without a "veteran" QB on their roster.

Even though they may know these veterans suck, they still almost always have one.

Because a failure to have one, and the QB position foes sideways, is seen apparently to be worse if there is no loser old veteran to slot in and win a game or two.

we are getting to a situation similar to the late 70's with todd and robinson.  todd eventually won out when robinson broke his thumb.  but getting onto hack/petty, it's certainly not unusual for a team to use two young qb's or go into the season with these guys 1 and 2.  let's get real.  both of these guys have been getting groomed for this job since they were 10. they wouldn't have been qb's of big time college programs if they were bad.  and while college doesn't always traslate into the pros, both of these guys have spent at least a season on the bench.  they should both be ready to play effectively next season.  let them fight it out in the pre season. petty should have an advantage since he'll have some real game starts.

I want to see the team acquire  Glennon or  garrapolo ... but I really like pettys demeanor and, if he shows improvement regarding his reads and looks confident in the pocket and shows me improvement with his accuracy (jeez-I'm asking a lot) I'll be fine with petty starting the year next year.

I don't give a sh*t if they go dig up kenny stabler (too soon?), this year's team has caused me to never ever ever think they'll ever be good again. This has been the most disappointing of seasons I can EVER remember, and I'm in my 40s!!

This franchise has failed me and I will never trust them again. EVER!!!

**** this team!!!

**** em all !!!

What's stopping them? Common sense I'd imagine. Petty had some moments yesterday where you thought, "hey, he would make a solid #2 QB". As far as he goes you have to wait and see what happens these next three weeks and see how he progresses or regresses. The jury isn't close to deciding on this kid yet.

You definitely need to bring in a veteran though because the fact that Hack isn't even considered to see any time this season, or even dress for that matter, means he is not likely to be ready to contribute at all for the first part of next season either. Nothing about what this coaching staff has said or what this kid has shown makes you think he'd be ready to play in real games next season. 

And let's not forget there could be a litany of changes on the offensive line next season. They're bound to get one of these guys injured so it's best to have a veteran presence to be able to step in when needed. 

You need 4 QBs in camp, and 3 on your opening day roster. (Or 4, if absolutely necessary).

I don't see us drafting 2 QBs, so we'll sign one vet, but not necessarily to fill a particular slot (#1, #2 etc). Unless Petty looks poor and shows little progress these next 3 weeks, in which case we may see a "bridge" guy like Cutler / Romo. God forbid.

As for Hack, right now he's a #3 / #4. He has to show something to earn the #3, or move up to #2. His draft spot alone earns him nothing, other than a chance to contribute.

Petty and Hack are both longterm projects, so its hard to see us carrying both for an extended period of time.  Eventually we'll cut one or the other.  I suspect the front office believes next year is going to be a full rebuild, so its probably fine to keep them both at least one additional year.

Having said that, you have to carry a stopgap veteran starter who you can plug in and have at least a semi functioning offense (otherwise you put an incredible strain on your defense, injuries pile up and its hard to really evaluate anyone after week 2 or 3).

4 minutes ago, Hael said:

Petty and Hack are both longterm projects, so its hard to see us carrying both for an extended period of time.  Eventually we'll cut one or the other.  I suspect the front office believes next year is going to be a full rebuild, so its probably fine to keep them both at least one additional year.

Having said that, you have to carry a stopgap veteran starter who you can plug in and have at least a semi functioning offense (otherwise you put an incredible strain on your defense, injuries pile up and its hard to really evaluate anyone after week 2 or 3).

If Petty looks OK the next few weeks, and nothing comes up in FA / draft to change things much ... we can start Petty next year, and give Hack more time to develop. If Petty succeeds, we're good, if he fails, you get to see what Hack has. If either shows up, it's a good thing; if neither does then you can move on from Petty either through FA / draft, and give Hack another year to show something.

Besides PSL owners and STH's who will be mad if we dedicate next year to see what we have in 2 young QB's? It is not like Jets are a perennial play off team. Let's dedicate next year to get rid of bloated vet contracts and to see what we have in these young QB's. Ride Petty first. See if he develops nicely. If he shows any hope, keep playing him. Say he sucks balls week after week. Bring along Hack and give him some game experience. Why spend another year with a vet QB? Thoughts?

Nothing

The worst thing we can do is muddy the waters with so overpriced washed up has been vet or some failed backup.

We can keep Fitzpatrick around if he is willing to sign for vet min

My vote. Go with the two kids and use a late round pick or UDFA if we need a camp arm or two

11 hours ago, Fibonacci said:

I would like to see how Petty looks in the remaining games before making that kind of commitment.

Besides PSL owners and STH's who will be mad if we dedicate next year to see what we have in 2 young QB's?

I'd have no problem with that-  so long as the team plays hard every game and doesn't mail it in.

STH's have patience for a rebuild.  We're in it for the long haul.  What we have no tolerance for is laziness.  Bowles ability to motivate is the bigger issue, not the quarterbacks.

SAR I

I agree totally. In fact, I say let Geno compete with them.  But who out there is a big step up? Glennon?  He had 1 good stretch and after him we are looking at Cutler, Romo and the same old crowd.

THIS fan base is ready for a rebuild. lets draft BIG Oline man, keep the QB's we have and build this team from the ground up.

2 hours ago, Shadetree said:

I want to see the team acquire  Glennon or  garrapolo ... but I really like pettys demeanor and, if he shows improvement regarding his reads and looks confident in the pocket and shows me improvement with his accuracy (jeez-I'm asking a lot) I'll be fine with petty starting the year next year.

I don't give a sh*t if they go dig up kenny stabler (too soon?), this year's team has caused me to never ever ever think they'll ever be good again. This has been the most disappointing of seasons I can EVER remember, and I'm in my 40s!!

This franchise has failed me and I will never trust them again. EVER!!!

**** this team!!!

**** em all !!!

You're a pup.

I think this is what they should have done this year instead of wasting an entire season hoping a sh*tty QB could repeat a miracle season.

Needless to say, I'm on board.  It's all for nothing until Brady retires anyway.  

38 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

Please god

No Glennon or Crappolalo.

The Cheaters have a 40 year old starter next August and still want to unload Lil Jimmy. He must be a great one

The Patriots back up QBs are fools gold. Amazing how they have fleeced teams selling the next Brady lie. I would be ok with getting Glennon in to compete. 

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What's stopping them? Common sense I'd imagine. Petty had some moments yesterday where you thought, "hey, he would make a solid #2 QB". As far as he goes you have to wait and see what happens these next three weeks and see how he progresses or regresses. The jury isn't close to deciding on this kid yet.

You definitely need to bring in a veteran though because the fact that Hack isn't even considered to see any time this season, or even dress for that matter, means he is not likely to be ready to contribute at all for the first part of next season either. Nothing about what this coaching staff has said or what this kid has shown makes you think he'd be ready to play in real games next season. 

And let's not forget there could be a litany of changes on the offensive line next season. They're bound to get one of these guys injured so it's best to have a veteran presence to be able to step in when needed. 

But why do we need to bring in recycled veteran #983,217?

Why not draft another QB (or sign another young QB) we think can be a man, and go into the year with three young QB's to develop and work with?

Should we be playing some loser Veteran so we can win 1 or 2 more games in a non-Playoff season?

Or should we be working ceaselessly to find a Franchise QB to go forward with, while building the pieces (especially O-line) to serve and protect that guy once found?

What exactly are we gaining playing or rostoring a Hoyer, Fitz or their ilk?  Why keep a safety blanket if the safety blanket does nothing for us or for winning titles?

What is the "Veteran presence" of a Hoyer going to do for us? 

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

But why do we need to bring in recycled veteran #983,217?

Why not draft another QB (or sign another young QB) we think can be a man, and go into the year with three young QB's to develop and work with?

Should we be playing some loser Veteran so we can win 1 or 2 more games in a non-Playoff season?

Or should we be working ceaselessly to find a Franchise QB to go forward with, while building the pieces (especially O-line) to serve and protect that guy once found?

What exactly are we gaining playing or rostoring a Hoyer, Fitz or their ilk?  Why keep a safety blanket if the safety blanket does nothing for us or for winning titles?

What is the "Veteran presence" of a Hoyer going to do for us? 

I never said bring in said veteran (which could in theory be a young QB) and start him. Not once did that utterance come from me. The only reason to draft another QB in 2017 is if one falls into their laps in the middle rounds or if Petty sucks out loud the next three weeks. While I don't have faith that Hackeburg is anything special, I don't think that the Jets should be focused on a QB in 2017. 2018 seems to be the better draft for QB. Build up the O-Line this off-season, find a young running back, find a pass rusher, rebuild the secondary. Those should be the draft priorities for 2017.

Archived